• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective |OT| Spoiler: The Main Character Dies

Based Amazon heard my pleas, and my copy arrived early. :D
or49lg.jpg

However, I'm still playing through Trials and Tribulations.

Erigu

Datschge said:
No he didn't, please everyone stop repeating this false info. His usual credit (in PW1-3 and now in GT) is for scenario, gamedesign and direction all at once, while in AJ it was just "Original Creator / Series Director"
Well, he was said to be the director and writer prior to the release of the game (for example, FamiTsû here, and Dengeki Online there). I wasn't aware there had been an interesting credit switcheroo around the time of the release. Quite interesting, indeed, as nobody is credited for the scenario! Did Capcom try to pretend for a while that Takumi's role was the same as before? Did the staff change at some point during development? Was there an Alan Smithee situation?
His posts on the official blog make it sound like he wrote the game, and his "scenario gensaku" credit there is the closest thing to a "writer" credit I could find for that game... I don't know...

all the spin offs didn't even mention him as original creator anymore.
I knew he wasn't involved, but he's not even mentioned as original creator anymore, really? Damn, that's harsh.

Fantastical said:
Oh my gawrsh! How far are you? That game is amazing. ^_^
I am on the third case, and have been for roughly a month. :\ Thanks to a medication I am on, playing my DS makes me sleepy for some reason.

LiK

ninj4junpei said:
I am on the third case, and have been for roughly a month. :\ Thanks to a medication I am on, playing my DS makes me sleepy for some reason.

wish i can relive the AA games blind all over again.

I have one criticism with games like this.

Once it's over, that's it. :(

I get so into this game that I don't want the game to end! But that's a compliment to the game because it's that good!

I'm a little over half way now. Guess I have to enjoy it while it lasts. :(

Klyka

Banned
TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:

I get so into this game that I don't want the game to end! But that's a compliment to the game because it's that good!

Same here. I finished it and I don't want to let the characters go :(

Wish I could erase my memories and start again :D

LiK said:
wish i can relive the AA games blind all over again.
I am actually replaying through the series for the second time. I told myself that I couldn't play Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth, until I do so.

LiK

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:

it's like a great book.

ninj4junpei said:
I am actually replaying through the series for the second time. I told myself that I couldn't play Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth, until I do so.

!!!!! Edgeworth is great. enjoy!

Boney

Banned
ninj4junpei said:
maybe that's why you mix real life with AA.

ninj4junpei said:
I am expecting it to be. Oh Edgeworth...
http://i54.tinypic.com/2wbs5zl.jpg[/QUOTE]
too bad it's not, you'll get plenty of new sprites for those posts of yours though

wsippel

Banned
The way this game is structured, cliffhangers and all, would make the perfect episodic game. Would be awesome to see something like this, episodic, on 3DS. Ghost Trick 2 as 26 part episodic game, automatically delivered to subscribers every week - I'd subscribe instantly.

MechaX

Played about an hour or two and I'm on the second chapter.

Since I don't feel like writing a paragraph on my impressions, I'll just do long steam-of-consciousness sentence. Fun game, missile is cool, good art-style and animation, damn you fake-out cameo from "you know who" in the middle of the second chapter, music is Ace Attorney goodness, already having more fun with this than I did the last two Ace Attorney titles, interesting puzzles so far, Missile is awesome, Missile just wants to say WELCOME!, and that's it.

Boney said:
too bad it's not, you'll get plenty of new sprites for those posts of yours though
28w16qr.jpg

You better be wrong. More sprites? Pfft, I have barely tapped into my current Ace Attorney .gif stockpile. Though more can't hurt. :D

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Erigu said:
Well, he was said to be the director and writer prior to the release of the game (for example, FamiTsû here, and Dengeki Online there). I wasn't aware there had been an interesting credit switcheroo around the time of the release. Quite interesting, indeed, as nobody is credited for the scenario! Did Capcom try to pretend for a while that Takumi's role was the same as before? Did the staff change at some point during development? Was there an Allan Smithee situation?
His posts on the official blog make it sound like he wrote the game, and his "scenario gensaku" credit there is the closest thing to a "writer" credit I could find for that game... I don't know...
There was a director and two planners though. Honestly I'm still trying to figure out why Capcom got Mitsuru Endo to direct GS4 when Takeshi Yamazaki worked with Takumi on Case 5 in the DS version of GS. Endo didn't even return for Gyakuten Kenji either since they finally did put Yamazaki in charge. Hopefully whatever happened during the development of GS4 doesn't repeat though, it still remains my least favourite entry in the series. It's the only story in the series that I wish wasn't canon. >_>

LiK

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
I think I have to pick Edgeworth up after Ghost Trick!

Should I also get 999? I'm also thinking about ordering Last Window but I don't know if I want to pay $60 for it!

definitely! Edgeworth is a great extension of the PW trilogy and 999 is pretty amazing and mind bending. i'm gonna order Last Window next week. i kept forgetting but after playing 999 and Ghost Trick, i need more. lol

Erigu

jj984jj said:
Hopefully whatever happened during the development of GS4 doesn't repeat though, it still remains my least favourite entry in the series. It's the only story in the series that I wish wasn't canon. >_>
Same here.

Just found an interview where Takumi (who is still credited as director and writer) explicitly states that they considered having somebody else write the game at some point, but he ended up writing the whole scenario by himself after all.
Apparently, that interview took place right after the game was completed, and a little while before the release, and there's an interesting change of tune between that and his comments on the official blog right before the release: in the interview, he says that maybe Naruhodo ended up playing such an important role because he was still the writer, whereas he later explains on the blog that it was Capcom who asked for Naruhodo to be included in the game. Hmm...

jj984jj

Erigu said:
Just found an interview where Takumi (who is still credited as director and writer) explicitly states that they considered having somebody else write the game at some point, but he ended up writing the whole scenario by himself after all.
Apparently, that interview took place right after the game was completed, and a little while before the release, and there's an interesting change of tune between that interview and his comments on the official blog right before the release: here, he says that maybe Naruhodo ended up playing such an important role because he was still the writer, whereas he later explains on the blog that it was Capcom who asked for Naruhodo to be included in the game. Hmm...
I remember the latter blog, he said he wanted to start fresh with GS4 and Capcom said it was fine but Naruhodo still had to be in the story.

Erigu

jj984jj said:
I remember the latter blog, he said he wanted to start fresh with GS4 and Capcom said it was fine but Naruhodo still had to be in the story.
Yep, and they're also the ones who asked for the jury thing to be included...
I remember reading that after completing the game and thinking "it's as if Takumi knew those were terrible ideas and wanted to make it clear that wasn't his fault"...

LiK

Erigu said:
Yep, and they're also the ones who asked for the jury thing to be included...
I remember reading that after completing the game and thinking "it's as if Takumi knew those were terrible ideas and wanted to make it clear that wasn't his fault"...

damn you Capcom!

jj984jj

LiK said:
damn you Capcom!
At least they let him make this game after that. :D

GK/AAI2 looks pretty nice too, if the remaining case(s) look as cool as case 2 and 3 it could be a good entry.

Boney

Banned
ninj4junpei said:
28w16qr.jpg

You better be wrong. More sprites? Pfft, I have barely tapped into my current Ace Attorney .gif stockpile. Though more can't hurt. :D
I mean, I still enjoyed it, but it's nowhere close to any of the other 4 games. It's a drab at times, andno courts suck.

Datschge

It probably has to change again since the staff roll still includes Inafune. =P They better don't mess with him again, I want more...

LiK

ShockingAlberto said:
I actually like Ghost Trick's graphical style more than Ace Attorney's.

The animation is just gorgeous.
Totally. And the animation team was fairly small. They did an amazing job.

Jintor

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:

I'll be able to replay it in about three or four years time, I reckon. :p

Anyway, ending spoilers:

I love how telegraphed some of the plot twists are... the first thing Sissel says when he wakes up is 'you don't see any other corpses around here, do you?', in the second or third chapter Lynne temporarily takes the form of Inspector Cabenela to show you that ghosts can take any form (and you're reminded of this a few times through the game)... I'm sure there's quite a few bits of foreshadowing through the game that you'll spot on a replay.

Jintor

I also find it amazing that [ending spoilers]

I ended up feeling really sorry for Yomiel, despite the fact that he'd gone fairly out of his way to fuck everybody over. Good thing we have a do-over!

Jintor

Just some ending clarification questions:

If Lynne can thought-speak to Sissel in cat-form in the new future, does that mean that everybody who Sissel saved in the present that was averted has a core? I.e. Detective Jowd, Inspector Cabanela, Missile etc? Or was that just Lynne thinking and Sissel reading her thoughts?

Stuck in Chapter
. Not really sure how to
arrange the steam-spewing missles to allow Lynne through :/
. I'm sure it's easier than it seems, and this is the first time I've been stuck.

Datschge

Crumpet Trumpet said:
Stuck in Chapter
. Not really sure how to
arrange the steam-spewing missles to allow Lynne through :/
. I'm sure it's easier than it seems, and this is the first time I've been stuck.
Big hint, don't look if you want to try yourself:
One of them can be turned off somewhere.

Jintor

Luckily when you fail that one it helps you out a little by
Moving Sissel up into a pipe so you don't have to navigate the engine again

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Oh man I'm loving this so much. Just the scratch that needed to be itched after Last Window

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
I think I have to pick Edgeworth up after Ghost Trick!

Should I also get 999? I'm also thinking about ordering Last Window but I don't know if I want to pay $60 for it!
Get Last Window and Hotel Dusk!!! HD first, but they are both as awesome as this game.

Top Bottom