• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective |OT| Spoiler: The Main Character Dies

Danielsan

Tricky I Shadow said:
Soooo, 999 VS Ghost Trick! Which one of them has a better story?
I have only finished 999 twice, but I'd say that whereas 999 may have the "better" story, Ghost Trick has a more enjoyable story. The entire experience is just way more enjoyable to be honest. And I really enjoyed my time with 999.

Danielsan said:
I have only finished 999 twice, but I'd say that whereas 999 may have the "better" story, Ghost Trick has a more enjoyable story. The entire experience is just way more enjoyable to be honest. And I really enjoyed my time with 999.

You should really finish off 999! If you thought the story was good just after two play throughs just wait till you get the True Ending! It’ll blow you away!

And I fully understand what you're saying when you say 999's story is better but Ghost Trick's is more enjoyable/fun. I so can't wait to pick this one up!

MNC

What's the estimated length on this game? Wondering if I can squeeze this one inbetween the backlog instead of at the end :lol

Jintor

6-8 hours, I reckon. I think I'm just about done. ENDING SPOILERS

I WAS THE WHAT THE HELL CAN'T PARSE WHOAAAAAAAH

Totakeke

Danielsan said:

Having finished both games, I'd say it's the opposite really.

Ghost Trick's plot is much more coherent and well grounded than 999's. 999's is much more thrilling but it gets kinda nonsensical, which may ruin your enjoyment if you're not into those kinda stuff. So 999's for the most part is more enjoyable, but Ghost Trick's is definitely better because it doesn't throw curves at you just because it can.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Jintor said:
And DONE.

Holy shit, what an awesome game. I never thought I'd have a GOTY contender this early in the year. :p

Yeah, last time that happened to me was Resident Evil 4 on Gamecube.

zigg

Jintor said:
6-8 hours, I reckon. I think I'm just about done. ENDING SPOILERS

I WAS THE WHAT THE HELL CAN'T PARSE WHOAAAAAAAH

(also ending spoilers!)

I can't wait to see the box art for Ghost Trick 2. The Adventures of Sissel and Missile? This presumes of course that Takumi didn't pull the cat thing with the intent of never making a sequel ever. :D

Just before I ran into Missile again I was actually trying to use the phone to go see what he was up to... of course, it wouldn't work; I'd forgotten the receiver was in the fish tank. I was afraid I'd never run into him again, because I knew there were only 18 chapters.

BUT THEN. There's another ghost? What? OH MY GOD IT CAN'T BE

Boney is going to flip. Which is EXTRA-WHY nobody should click any spoilers.

Numpt3

Jintor said:
Anybody clicking any spoilers before they've finished the game will regret it forever.
This is why I think I'm going to stay away from the thread for a while. I'm still waiting on the game to arrive and these big black blocks are so tempting to click. lol.

zigg

Jintor said:
Anybody clicking any spoilers before they've finished the game will regret it forever.

...is QFT bannable these days? I've lost track. Well, I'll risk it.

Seriously, though, yes, I ended that last black wall with "Which is EXTRA-WHY nobody should click any spoilers." This isn't your typical Oscar-worthy storyline here people. This one means something.

Wizpig

Next week.

Fuck.
Fuck.
Fuck.

NxTP0.gif

It arrived this morning and I've put a while into it, but it already seems like a masterpiece in the making. The dialogue is brilliant and story already has me hooked. Takumi has done it again!

LiK

Tricky I Shadow said:
Soooo, 999 VS Ghost Trick! Which one of them has a better story?

haha, i don't wanna compare them directly. both feature some really cool twists but 999 had way more "WTF" moments. and of course Ghost Trick only has one ending and no branching paths so it's easier to follow. but hey, any AA or 999 fan should check this out. DAMN GOOD.

Nemesis556 said:
Ghost Trick is still on my mind. Oh my. I need another fix somehow. So good.

I might even rebuy it on iOS.

i would definitely rebuy the iOS version. i hope Capcom localizes it.

Nemesis_

This makes me think I should check out 999.

How is it? Is it mainly text or is there a bit of gameplay too? I felt that Ghost Trick striked the perfect balance between the two.

LiK said:
haha, i don't wanna compare them directly. both feature some really cool twists but 999 had way more "WTF" moments. and of course Ghost Trick only has one ending and no branching paths so it's easier to follow. but hey, any AA or 999 fan should check this out. DAMN GOOD.

i would definitely rebuy the iOS version. i hope Capcom localizes it.

How's the replay on Ghost Trick? Is it basically like the PW series in terms of replayability?

BluWacky

Nemesis556 said:
How is it? Is it mainly text or is there a bit of gameplay too? I felt that Ghost Trick striked the perfect balance between the two.

999 is mainly text. Ghost Trick has a LOT more gameplay.

999 is a visual novel with some short room escape segments in between. Ghost Trick is a puzzle game with lots of text.

LiK

Mockingbird said:
How's the replay on Ghost Trick? Is it basically like the PW series in terms of replayability?
Yea, same as AA, no extras or bonus stuff. You can replay any chapters you've beaten which is cool.

And Bluwacky is right, Ghost Trick features way more gameplay than 999.

Luigi87

Staring at both of my orders of 999 and Ghost Trick that I've had for a while now, all I can say is... Ship dammit! >.<

Erigu

BluWacky said:
999 is a visual novel with some short room escape segments in between.
If only that game could motivate some enthusiastic fan translators to work on Chunsoft's other efforts, like the Kamaitachi no Yoru series or Machi... Japanese-illiterate gamers are seriously missing out...

LiK said:
Yea, same as AA, no extras or bonus stuff.
There's one tiny bonus that's unlocked once you've completed the game:
you can check all character and location descriptions from the main menu. All variations. There's also some new stuff, I believe (like the appearance of Kanon / Kamilla's mother... I think?).
So yeah, almost nothing, but still more than in Gyakuten Saiban games.

JoeFu

Banned
ENDING SPOILER POST!

For those of you saying that there will be a possibility for a sequel what did I miss? I mean they went back into time and then into present time. Everybody is still alive. Is it the fact that Sissel doesn't age or anything? I mean I have missed something as I was really tired when I beat the game and might not have read everything carefully.

zigg

JoeFu said:
ENDING SPOILER POST!

For those of you saying that there will be a possibility for a sequel what did I miss? I mean they went back into time and then into present time. Everybody is still alive. Is it the fact that Sissel doesn't age or anything? I mean I have missed something as I was really tired when I beat the game and might not have read everything carefully.

You have totally lost me. But let me just say what I'm sayin' one more time... (ending spoilers duh)

I'm just talking about one key thing: a sequel would probably star Sissel the cat and Missile the dog, fighting crime together or somesuch. :D Going into Ghost Trick you're led to believe that Yomiel is Sissel—and his frankly iconic design is synonymous with the game, you can't really leave him out—and Missile is a minor if awesome character. Now who do you put on the cover?

That's all I'm saying. It seems totally plausible, but presents some difficulties of marketing.

Also, just for the record, I will get myself 999 sometime real soon. I swear.

Also also if you guys think these black walls of text are driving you crazy, think about how I feel—I gave the game to my wife when I was done and she hasn't started it just yet. I cannot speak a word of Ghost Trick in my home at all.

stupei

slaughterking said:
I'm only in chapter 3 so far, but have to say the animation in this game is outstanding. Punch Out was the last game where I could get so much enjoyment just out of watching some great animations. Love it.

Yeah, I'm not in a rush to solve the puzzles some of the time because it all looks so good.

JoeFu

Banned
zigg said:
You have totally lost me. But let me just say what I'm sayin' one more time... (ending spoilers duh)

I'm just talking about one key thing: a sequel would probably star Sissel the cat and Missile the dog, fighting crime together or somesuch. :D Going into Ghost Trick you're led to believe that Yomiel is Sissel—and his frankly iconic design is synonymous with the game, you can't really leave him out—and Missile is a minor if awesome character. Now who do you put on the cover?

That's all I'm saying. It seems totally plausible, but presents some difficulties of marketing.

Spoilarzzzz
K I get it now. I mean I guess there could be a sequel, but the game wrapped everything up so nicely that I don't know how I'd feel about a sequel.

Just wanted to say that I LOVE MISSILE! I thought I'd find him annoying after meeting him the first time, but he proceeded to win me over. Old Missile is also a freaking BOSS

LiK

Ending Spoilers Comment to the above.

For a sequel, my thoughts would be Sissel continues to work with Lynne and Jowd. Remember that Lynne just started as a detective so there's a lot they can do with different cases. Sissel could help them investigate and look for evidence that involves a death or something.

REMEMBER, they said their powers can change over time. That means Sissel could develop all sorts of cool powers for the sequels. and yes, I want more Sissel and Missle team ups. Damn, I now notice their names rhyme, lol.

I agree that it'll be hard to market this without spoiling the first game's twist.

dvolovets

I don't think there's going to be a sequel.
The plot resolved very nicely -- I can't see a reason for Takumi to start writing a sequel unless he wants to focus on Sissel the Cat. As a previous poster mentioned, this would go hand-in-hand with marketing issues. Not only that, but as much as I liked the gameplay mechanics, I think a sequel would come off as forced and contrived. A spiritual sequel, maybe, but I highly doubt we'll be seeing these characters again.
Isn't Takumi averse to making sequels, anyway?

Then again...

Could we see a sequel?

Hsu: The same thing happened with Ace Attorney. When they originally made the first Ace Attorney, they put everything into it, not really thinking about making it a sequel, not knowing if they could even get a sequel. Same thing for Ghost Trick. If people really want a sequel, if there is really a demand for it, we'd certainly love to create a sequel or whatever down the line. But right now, we're just happy with Ghost Trick having made that game, putting everything into it.

http://www.destructoid.com/destructoid-interview-ghost-trick-s-shu-takumi-179528.phtml

LiK

dvolovets said:
I don't think there's going to be a sequel.
The plot resolved very nicely -- I can't see a reason for Takumi to start writing a sequel unless he wants to focus on Sissel the Cat. As a previous poster mentioned, this would go hand-in-hand with marketing issues. Not only that, but as much as I liked the gameplay mechanics, I think a sequel would come off as forced and contrived. A spiritual sequel, maybe, but I highly doubt we'll be seeing these characters again.
Isn't Takumi averse to making sequels, anyway?

Then again...

Could we see a sequel?

Hsu: The same thing happened with Ace Attorney. When they originally made the first Ace Attorney, they put everything into it, not really thinking about making it a sequel, not knowing if they could even get a sequel. Same thing for Ghost Trick. If people really want a sequel, if there is really a demand for it, we'd certainly love to create a sequel or whatever down the line. But right now, we're just happy with Ghost Trick having made that game, putting everything into it.

http://www.destructoid.com/destructoid-interview-ghost-trick-s-shu-takumi-179528.phtml

yea, there will be if this sells well. Capcom wants what Capcom wants. besides, i love the characters and this world. i don't mind a spin-off.
the Tesmik meteorite is still in the ground in the park. any new deaths in the park can create lots of potential new stories.

dvolovets

LiK said:
the Tesmik meteorite is still in the ground in the park. any new deaths in the park can create lots of potential new stories.
Ah, good point... I definitely wouldn't mind a sequel, Ghost Trick is easily one of the best games on the DS.

LiK

dvolovets said:
Ah, good point... I definitely wouldn't mind a sequel, Ghost Trick is easily one of the best games on the DS.

yea, that's the genius of the writing in this game. creating a super satisfying ending but leaving enough nuggets for a sequel or spin-off just in case. i love you Takumi! ^_^

JoeFu

Banned
LiK said:
yea, there will be if this sells well. Capcom wants what Capcom wants. besides, i love the characters and this world. i don't mind a spin-off.

Yeah, spinoff sounds the best. Start with a new bunch of dudes and go from there. Doesn't mean they can't cross paths with Sissel and Missile!

zigg

LiK said:

Excellent point.

JoeFu said:
Yeah, spinoff sounds the best. Start with a new bunch of dudes and go from there. Doesn't mean they can't cross paths with Sissel and Missile!

They'd better! :D

LiK

JoeFu said:

kinda hilarious when i look back on it.
the nation was saved by two pets
lol

Empty

Picked this up today, its rather good. I didn't play the demo nor watch too much pre-release stuff so most of the ghost-trick puzzle mechanic was entirely new to me, and i'm impressed by how fresh it feels. It's so much fun to solve each little puzzle room while also taking into account the timing to keep you on yours toes, and the quick and easy jump backs if you fail reduce the stress of failure. Mesh that with a very addictive text heavy story - i'm loving how they are tying together the various strands without the course case structure of the ace attorney games - lots of personality and wonderful music, and yeah i'm happy with it.

Erigu

Still ENDING SPOILERS:
LiK said:
I want more Sissel and Missle team ups. Damn, I now notice their names rhyme, lol.
In fact, all "powered" individuals have names that end with an "L" sound (a "ru" one, in Japanese... and the Japanese name of the meteorite also ends with a "ru"): Sissel, Missile, Yomiel. Could be a coincidence, could be on purpose...

JoeFu said:
ENDING SPOILER POST!

(Ending Spoilers)
It's really quite simple. When the future selves of Sissel, Missile, and Yomiel changed the fates of Yomiel, Lynne, Jowd, and Sissel, they created an alternate timeline where Yomiel never went on his revenge murder spree. Instead, the meteorite fragment was deflected off the statue, missed Yomiel completely, grazed Jowd's leg, and hit Sissel the cat, who was hiding near Jowd. This "killed" Sissel at that time, but it gave him immortality and ghost powers. Thus, the timeline was drastically changed, as Yomiel's fiancee never committed suicide, Yomiel never went on his murder spree, and neither government knew about the Temsik powers, since Sissel the cat was the only one who had them, and he was living a happy life with Jowd's family.

Ergo, they could easily do a sequel simply because Sissel still has his ghost powers, and the foreign government doesn't know about the Temsik powers (yet). It's not like anyone of his new family is protected from death, and since Lynne, Cabanela, and Jowd are detectives, Sissel and Missile could potentially tag along in some of their cases in a Detective Conan-esque fashion. Plus, we saw that the pigeon-headed scientist still retained his memories of his Temsik research, as he was studying the meteor at the park.

Datschge

I just finished the game in German.

Such a great, excellent, magnificent, throughly enjoyable game. I'm in awe.

I rather liked the three Phoenix Wright games Shu Takumi worked on, but while they had absolutely great moments, they also got dragged down by some ridiculous story parts, some characters I simply couldn't like at all and some archaic game design decisions. Though knowing of the greatness of their high points I was still expecting great things from this game.

And this game managed to exceed all expectations. Both the story as well as the whole gameplay feel like solving all the issues I had with the PW games, while not giving up the specific atmosphere they had. Music is both varied and great (loving all the different bass instruments used). The story is still a rollercoast of twists making it hard to put down, just now a tad more serious with plenty less ridiculous comedy moments. I can't recall any game I had so much fun playing through as a whole in the last couple years. I think it's no question that this is Shu Takumi's best game yet. (He got exact the same credits as the three original PW games btw., showing again how little he was involved with all the ports and newer AA games. So this really makes this his first new game after PW3 GBA in 2004. Unless there is some unknown game everyone missed so far?)

The only real nitpicks I have are that unlike the "xxx" hint and "..." speech bubbles the foreground talks need to be tapped through each time again, and that in chapter 14 the
center of the rolling gym is only indicated to be manipulatable at a specific time
, making it easy to ignore when having checked it at the wrong time.

Anyway will make use of the power of word of mouth now. This game definitely deserves it. =)
May replay it in English soon. Anybody know what difference "continuing" from the start after having finished the game makes, if any?

Poyunch

X_X

My local Gamestop doesn't have it so I decided to just order through their site so I could use my gift card. Now I'll have to wait even more. :/

LiK

Zero-Crescent said:
(Ending Spoilers)
It's really quite simple. When the future selves of Sissel, Missile, and Yomiel changed the fates of Yomiel, Lynne, Jowd, and Sissel, they created an alternate timeline where Yomiel never went on his revenge murder spree. Instead, the meteorite fragment was deflected off the statue, missed Yomiel completely, grazed Jowd's leg, and hit Sissel the cat, who was hiding near Jowd. This "killed" Sissel at that time, but it gave him immortality and ghost powers. Thus, the timeline was drastically changed, as Yomiel's fiancee never committed suicide, Yomiel never went on his murder spree, and neither government knew about the Temsik powers, since Sissel the cat was the only one who had them, and he was living a happy life with Jowd's family.

Ergo, they could easily do a sequel simply because Sissel still has his ghost powers, and the foreign government doesn't know about the Temsik powers (yet). It's not like anyone of his new family is protected from death, and since Lynne, Cabanela, and Jowd are detectives, Sissel and Missile could potentially tag along in some of their cases in a Detective Conan-esque fashion. Plus, we saw that the pigeon-headed scientist still retained his memories of his Temsik research, as he was studying the meteor at the park.
Well said, you mirrored my thoughts exactly. Gimme a hug pal. ^^

Erigu

Datschge said:
I think it's no question that this is Shu Takumi's best game yet. (He got exact the same credits as the three original PW games btw., showing again how little he was involved with all the ports and newer AA games. So this really makes this his first new game after PW3 GBA in 2004. Unless there is some unknown game everyone missed so far?)
Well, he did direct and write Gyakuten Saiban 4... but he made some comments that sounded like preemptive "Capcom made me do it!" excuses, right before the release of that game...

Anybody know what difference "continuing" from the start after having finished the game makes, if any?
I don't believe there's any difference.

Allarion

Neo Member
Well, there's one way to have a direct sequel without spoiling the first one in marketing. Course, anyone who plays a sequel first in a plot-heavy series is probably a fool.

Have the plot center around Yomiel. You're still Sissel, but stuff happens that bring the two together again. Also allows Yomiel to try to redeem himself further since he seems to be one of the few to still have his memories and you can still have that kick-ass cover art with Yomiel.

LiK

Allarion said:
Well, there's one way to have a direct sequel without spoiling the first one in marketing. Course, anyone who plays a sequel first in a plot-heavy series is probably a fool.

Have the plot center around Yomiel. You're still Sissel, but stuff happens that bring the two together again. Also allows Yomiel to try to redeem himself further since he seems to be one of the few to still have his memories and you can still have that kick-ass cover art with Yomiel.
Probably but I don't care for
Yomiel to return. His story is done and I like to believe he gets the peace he mentioned he wanted. A guest appearance would be nice tho. They could have Lynne on cover with Sissel in ghost form for the next game if they wanna make a direct sequel. Still works imo.

Datschge

Erigu said:
Well, he did direct and write Gyakuten Saiban 4
No he didn't, please everyone stop repeating this false info. His usual credit (in PW1-3 and now in GT) is for scenario, gamedesign and direction all at once, while in AJ it was just "Original Creator / Series Director" and all the spin offs didn't even mention him as original creator anymore.

Top Bottom