• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Multiformat Artshots Thread (formerly part of the PC screenshots thread)

I am all for having a reasoned debate about the artistic value of Korean games, but...

Kuran said:
I'm really not impressed by Tera? Still looks like an empty MMORPG with automatically generated terrain.

Not the best way to dismiss a game to which that obviously doesn't apply.

...if your game engine is capable of such minute detail.. you probably shouldn't be forgetting to include realistic land mass where water doesn't just lap up against a grassy hill.

I have a pen here that's capable of minute detail, but I doubt I'll have the time or ability to draw a masterpiece with it, just as the average UE3 dev complains bitterly about the tremendous cost of generating art assets and arranging them in a cohesive, stylised manner. Even if TERA wasn't the only UE3 game to have even slightly pulled off a seamless open world, much less done it almost flawlessly, it still covers more terrain and weather types than any other UE3 game, makes fuller use of the engine and consistently draws scenes that would pass for concept art. Enslaved and Bulletstorm are the only other Unreal games that come close (though that's partly thanks to Lightmass), and they're microscopic in comparison.

Also, soulless characters and gaudy art-style. Seems common for these Korean developed games. Tera looks like it could have been spraypainted on the side of a van, alongside a wolf and a cherokee.

This is as close as I'll come to agreeing with you, though it's enormously subjective and as much about UE3 limitations and genre conventions as Bluehole's art department. Not being an MMO veteran at all, I'm genuinely interested to see an example with 'soulful' characters in it. That said, if the best I've got to look at for the duration of that game is a 'soulful' backside then maybe I'll pass.

Your shots piqued my interest, and I went and saw some trailers/vids for it.

The actual fighting reminds me of Fable and Monster Hunter. Theres some great vids showing the precision teamwork required on on youtube.

I think since its realtime and action oriented, I might be able to tolerate its MMO-ness

This area:

TheOctagon said:
Highres_Screenshot_00036-1.jpg

Seeing it in motion, this whole city, oh man. I was like “Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?"

I'm interested to know how much this game cost to make, just because of the insane amount of content (i.e. unique art assets) it has.

The wikipedia page is uninformative, anyone got any links to any behind-the-scenes type articles of this game? I'd like to know how they're making it.

BTW Octagon, does this game use U.E.3's Lightmass? You mentioned that Bulletstorm and Enslaved do.

Does this Lightmass thing really make that much of a difference? I've seen vids of both those games and nothing about the lighting really stood out for me.

Darth Kupi said:
Seeing it in motion, this whole city, oh man. I was like “Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?"

:O

English must not be your first language, cause that makes no sense whatsoever.

Darth Kupi said:
I'm interested to know how much this game cost to make, just because of the insane amount of content (i.e. unique art assets) it has.

I read that it's somewhere in the region of 50billion Won, which would be around $45million. The client is 26gb, though, just to give you an impression of the sheer art footprint. It's not like there's a host of videos in there.

The wikipedia page is uninformative, anyone got any links to any behind-the-scenes type articles of this game? I'd like to know how they're making it.

I might do one myself, actually.

Does this Lightmass thing really make that much of a difference? I've seen vids of both those games and nothing about the lighting really stood out for me.

Lightmass makes a huge difference. To give you an idea, People Can Fly ditched a whole ton of their lighting artist's work and had him start again from scratch when Epic talked them into trying it for Bulletstorm. From a player's perspective, the two things it does best are provide much more realistic daytime lighting, especially on character models, and a greater and richer array of lighting generally. You can still do an awful lot with Beast lighting - BioShock Infinite uses Beast rather than Lightmass, for instance, as does Mirror's Edge - but it doesn't have the same pervasive effect. When you run around in TERA the lighting is constantly changing, such is the speed and elegance with which it cycles ambient effects and environments.

I'm no lighting expert, though, so maybe one can give you a more accurate description.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Might aswell ask here too :

I'm trying to get sc2 to run with somekind of AA enabled, I went into the nvidia control panel and overrode the application setting and enabled several different kinds of AA seperately but none of them seem to affect the game at all.

Any help?

Jme

Darth Kupi said:
I was like “Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?"

This is literally hurting my head... what could you ever possibly mean by this, I can't even... WHAT?!

TheOctagon said:
I read that it's somewhere in the region of 50billion Won, which would be around $45million. The client is 26gb, though, just to give you an impression of the sheer art footprint. It's not like there's a host of videos in there.

Wow, that seems like a steal for this much work. I have yet to see any copypasted work, every little thing seems hand crafted.

I would love to see their dungeon sweatshop full of whip cracking overlords driving a slave army of 3D modellers.

TheOctagon said:
I might do one myself, actually.

Please do.

TheOctagon said:
Lightmass makes a huge difference. To give you an idea, People Can Fly ditched a whole ton of their lighting artist's work and had him start again from scratch when Epic talked them into trying it for Bulletstorm. From a player's perspective, the two things it does best are provide much more realistic daytime lighting, especially on character models, and a greater and richer array of lighting generally. You can still do an awful lot with Beast lighting - BioShock Infinite uses Beast rather than Lightmass, for instance, as does Mirror's Edge - but it doesn't have the same pervasive effect. When you run around in TERA the lighting is constantly changing, such is the speed and elegance with which it cycles ambient effects and environments.

I'm no lighting expert, though, so maybe one can give you a more accurate description.

So TERA does use Lightmass I take it.

Any good vids comparing it to regular lighting?

Fox1304 said:
Have any links to the most interesting vids ?
Piqued(!) my interest too :)

I got a good idea what the gameplay was like from these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7zSis0dT5c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PD5bzHauVvo&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3wNkvKUp_Y

NemesisPrime said:
Yeah.. now I can't concentrate any more ;(

Stick around. This game is overflowing with gratuitous ass & titties.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-8y5SsXXdo&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rr_xLMaW--E

Someone over at the TERA fan site suggested this and it seemed like a nice idea, then like a really good way of cleaning up my site. At present there's just too much chaff littering it, and finding the good images is basically impossible. No one should be expected to browse a load of duplicate screens and out-takes. So what I'm going to do is prune the image sets, sifting many if not most into an out-takes folder which will only be available as an archived download. That way, people using them for artistic reference can still get the lesser material which casual browsers don't have to suffer.

YAWN.

Here's the interesting bit. A wallpaper set of 100 images at 1080p chosen specifically for that purpose. By which I mean the composition, lighting, textural scaling, etc, is perfect every time - which by the way excludes images like the one at the top of the page. Just click the image for the download.

This should be the next one, I reckon. No link yet, though.

5376575736_40da5a0f73_b.jpg

To the (relatively few) naysayers, here's another upcoming Unreal Engine 3 powered MMO.

And these weren't even the worst shots I could google.

DC_scr_icnAct_metro_02.jpg

lex.dcu.020409.jpg

I saw this yesterday. Couldn't help but laugh at the terrible, boring gameplay. No other genre' can turn me off playing it just by looking at it, but somehow MMOs succeed.

The actual game starts about 27 minutes in.

You'll notice the difference in quality of both the art and the assets. Also the animations are utter ass.

Note the copypasta-ness of the world. Walls, computer consoles, level clutter.

Also the load screens after traversing realtively small areas.

Can't believe this is from a veteran MMO developer, using a top-tier licence, and presumably a huge budget to capitalize on said license.

TERA, to its credit, looks like the poeple making it are actually passionate about it. (And dare-I-say-it, more talented?)

TERA devs seem to be bringing their A game. DCO seems an assembly line, by-the-book, MMO thats more interested in checking off boxes of classic MMO tropes than being interesting.

Only thing I liked was the cape physics... <insert laughing smiley here>

But tera has jiggle boob physics so its a draw!

Borman said:
(Old shots from Motor City Online, had to post them hah. RIP)

Thought it was Frame City Killer for a moment.

'ACCOMPLISHED.'

Right. Some Eve Online characters, including - drum roll - the first male character I've made since David Haye in Fight Night: Round 3!

5396224253_48ceffae4e_b.jpg

5396821608_51ea71530f_b.jpg

Corky

nice shots man, what kind of setup are you running in order to have/view 2160p?

Corky said:
nice shots man, what kind of setup are you running in order to have/view 2160p?

You have to modify your monitor drivers to bluff the monitor into running above its native res, add the custom resolutions to the registry and/or driver control panel, then select the resolution in-game and hope for the best. So far, the only games that haven't suffered crippling performance issues have been Source Engine games.

Corky

TheOctagon said:
You have to modify your monitor drivers to bluff the monitor into running above its native res, add the custom resolutions to the registry and/or driver control panel, then select the resolution in-game and hope for the best. So far, the only games that haven't suffered crippling performance issues have been Source Engine games.

Oh I see, so these shots are from subpar performance?

Oh yes.

Though you'd get more or less identical shots at 1080p with very good performance if there wasn't a horrendous softening of the image under DX9. They fixed that with the DX11 patch for Dirt 2, though sadly too late for Grid.

Durante

It's hard to take anything resembling a worthy art shot from a console game: the image quality usually sucks, it's often impossible to remove the UI and you need to take a lot of care not to expose horrible low-res textures.

But here are a few screens from Resonance of Fate that I think came out pretty well.

2011-01-18_22-55-12ctxm.jpg

2011-01-19_19-46-535rdf.jpg

These were taken using the debug version of DMC4 which, to be frank, doesn't do a great deal. You can't move the camera, but you can adjust its FOV and rotate it, or tell it to stop moving along its defined path. So if you're crafty you can set up a shot when the camera's in the desired place, let the cutscene continue and see what happens. And you can strip all the 2D from the image to get rid of the widescreen bars during cutscenes, for instance. Downsampled from 2160p.

Top Bottom