• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Multiformat Artshots Thread (formerly part of the PC screenshots thread)

Tain

So Tera has a huge, seamless overworld? I'm kinda surprised... I can't think of any UE3 games that have had anything like a traditional MMO overworld, let alone perfectly streaming it all in.

No screenshot could do justice to that volcano map. The most you'll ever get on screen at once is a fraction of some giant lava pit, into which plunge a dozen hand-crafted flows from a parade of unique and crazy rocks, atop which are building-size statues with flaming eye sockets, behind which is a entire fucking mountain blowing its load which then rains down in the foreground, above which is skybox of nothing but ash clouds from the other monster volcano next door. This game's off the hook.

Ionic

TheOctagon said:
No screenshot could do justice to that volcano map. The most you'll ever get on screen at once is a fraction of some giant lava pit, into which plunge a dozen hand-crafted flows from a parade of unique and crazy rocks, atop which are building-size statues with flaming eye sockets, behind which is a entire fucking mountain blowing its load which then rains down in the foreground, above which is skybox of nothing but ash clouds from the other monster volcano next door. This game's off the hook.

Time to make the 1080p Artistic Game Videography Thread then.

Peterthumpa

Ok, TheOctagon, I never, EVER considered paying monthly for playing a game, let alone an MMORPG.

But this whole bunch of pictures are just impossible to ignore.
How's the gameplay? How's the HUD? Is that mess like every other MMORPG?
Is there a story?

Feed my hunger!!

Mr_Zombie

Cuban Legend said:
What is a tiledshot and how does one take one?

It's a feature presents in UE3 titles.
The cross-platform, hi-res tiled screenshot feature is accessed via a console command called tiledshot.

It can generate screenshots at any size that are a multiple of the screen resolution (or window resolution if the game is running in window mode). Tiledshot does this by rendering the game frame multiple times, one tile at a time at full resolution and concatenating all tiles into a single image file.

The default behavior is to take a screenshot with a resolution 4 times greater than the game resolution and create an image file in the Screenshot folder. When running the game thru the editor (PIE) or as standalone, open the command console by hitting either <Tab> or <~> (tilde) and type:

tiledshot
http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/TakingScreenshots.html#Tiledshot

In other words, lets say you put the command "tiledshot 4" and you run the game at 1080p. The single frame is then divided into 16 parts and each part is rendered at 1080p resolution; all those parts are then connected in the final picture, thus giving you a picture with 7680x4320px resolution.

It's a godly feature :D.

This deserves mention, actually. The amount of animation in TERA is staggering considering its scale, which is why I have to resort to that dreadful caveat: 'it all looks better in motion'. There's pretty much every effect you've seen before in UE3, and then a load of new ones added by Bluehole or Epic recently. So yeah, I'm pretty sure the ash cloud's animated, just as the clouds whizz by above Castanica (that dark city), the trees animate, there's Crysis-style lens flare that wraps around characters and scenery, the water laps the shore, rain runs down every surface, and the entire backdrop wobbles in the desert due to heat haze. And because it's an 'action MMO' full of dodging, strafing and physics, even the characters have smooth moves.

Bluehole should bloody pay me for all this. Actually, I don't want money, just give me a noclip spell or something.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Singularity

Singularity%202011-01-19%2022-32-18-62.jpg

Singularity%202011-01-19%2022-36-35-72.jpg

HOLY SHIT!!! @ TheOctagon's T.E.R.A. shots.

And this is just the first continent? And its seamless?

I can't believe U.E.3 looks so damn beautiful.

Sure it looks good in other games, but here it actually looks beautiful, like there's a definite effort towards aesthetic beauty.

I hate MMORPGs with a passion, but you're selling me on this damn game.

I'm still unsure of your status as "viral marketer" or not. :p

Georgeous Artwork = Check

High Fidelity Graphics = Check

Technical Competence = Check

Populated by Sluts = Check & Check

Please describe the actual gameplay, I would love to try it at least.

Aon

Stallion, that first Singularity shot is great. Like the rest look nice but are all pre-made vistas, which never feel quite as special whilethat look of confused concern on Nolan North's face is really striking.

Great job :D

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I think the biggest turn on about Tera for me is the controller support. I find that incredibly interesting. Hopefully they have a trial for the game because that could put the final nail in the coffin after these screens from Octagon.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Tera looks great, but man, I can't believe those visuals are wasted on another MMORPG.

Makes WoW look like a joke visually.

Mr_Brit

Banned
dark10x said:
Tera looks great, but man, I can't believe those visuals are wasted on another MMORPG.

Makes WoW look like a joke visually.
So true.

Not that WoW didn't already look like a joke visually.

Interesting to see some of the responses in this thread. I'm not the greatest MMO fan in the universe and certainly wouldn't hold TERA up as being some kind of game-changer. I also haven't played WOW for fear of being mocked and subsequently divorced by my other half. However, it does take its whole 'action MMO' thing pretty seriously, in that it genuinely can feel more like a Jedi Knight kind of game with all the strafes and dodges. They keep going on about how you only score damage when your weapon hits the enemy model, but that's either bullshit or an effect lost in the lag from Korea to the UK. Not that there is much lag, mind - no more than I'm used to from local servers.

The controller support works, and the emphasis on basic skill combos and evasions is such that I can see people getting deep into the game before they start itching for extra shortcuts. The UI is as cluttered (and often pretty identical) to the one in Aion: Tower Of Eternity, so much so that I've been happily playing the game in Korean with little thought for the language barrier. That said, I'm well aware I'm missing a vast portion of the game's more advanced features. I haven't been able to suss out the enchantment interface, for example, and haven't progressed to the point of mounts or pets.

There isn't the whole aerial combat thing Aion has going, which I'm personally grateful for as it means I'm not getting ganked the whole time. It's very solo-friendly, though while the boss battles provide AI assistance for players not in groups, the first boss instance in the beta is so fucked that one of the bots doesn't even move.

Tell you what else: for an Unreal game, this one really lets you explore. It's seamless, yes, with no loading times beyond jumping continents, but moreover it lets you clamber about the scenery as much as any sandbox action game. I've seen aerial city shots taken by folks who somehow climbed a nearby rock face, and my week-long trip round the continent consisted entirely of the sneaking past enemies who in Aion would have blocked off every bottleneck in the map. If you just want to travel in this game, there's absolutely nothing stopping you.

Best thing about that is that it dispels all the frustration you tend to get in MMOs where you feel you're jumping through hoops the whole time. It separates those offline RPG urges from the grind of a Korean MMO - though you tend to quest through this game more than grind - so you can indulge the first and then willingly succumb to the second. It's for that reason more than any that I'll be subscribing for a long time, I suspect, especially as you have to reach lvl 38 before you can cross to the next continent.

This could all be par for the course in WOW, obviously, but good luck finding comparable tits. There's no knocking Blizzard's art direction but there's also no denying that, when it comes to leveraging some of the strongest 3D tech on the planet to make a genuine artistic statement, this game climbs some way into to stratosphere before crapping on it.

desu

TheOctagon should stop posting uber awesome pictures of Tera or I might loose my non existant social life. The game looks just way too good.

I fear there's one more image flood left in this beta. A few corners I haven't explored yet and one where I had a fatal disagreement with what looked like a turnip. I have put together a rather lovely (and selective, believe it or not) wallpaper package I'll put up later.

I have to know how Stallion got those lovely Singularity shots. I hear the game calling but wonder if Raven's got over its insane desire to encrypt absolutely bloody everything.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
TheOctagon said:
I have to know how Stallion got those lovely Singularity shots. I hear the game calling but wonder if Raven's got over its insane desire to encrypt absolutely bloody everything.
Forced 8xAA at 1080p downsampled to 900p. The shots are only from segments of the game where the hud either disappears or just isn't present. No way in hell am I going to find a way through devs who encrypt stuff.

I am the king of the ghetto makeshift method of hudless screenshotting.

koji

Amazing Tera screens. I always was a pretty big fan of L2's artstyle as well, devs are part of the original L2 team right?

Kuran

Banned
I'm really not impressed by Tera? Still looks like an empty MMORPG with automatically generated terrain. Not trying to troll, but if your game engine is capable of such minute detail.. you probably shouldn't be forgetting to include realistic land mass where water doesn't just lap up against a grassy hill.

I'll wait until MMO's catch up to Ultima Online where I can actually interact with the world other than bashing things.

Also, soulless characters and gaudy art-style. Seems common for these Korean developed games. Tera looks like it could have been spraypainted on the side of a van, alongside a wolf and a cherokee.

Randy

Kuran said:
I'm really not impressed by Tera? Still looks like an empty MMORPG with automatically generated terrain. Not trying to troll, but if your game engine is capable of such minute detail.. you probably shouldn't be forgetting to include realistic land mass where water doesn't just lap up against a grassy hill.

I'll wait until MMO's catch up to Ultima Online where I can actually interact with the world other than bashing things.

Also, soulless characters and gaudy art-style. Seems common for these Korean developed games. Tera looks like it could have been spraypainted on the side of a van, alongside a wolf and a cherokee.

Gamebreaker.

Game looks beautiful.

Top Bottom