• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone 3 Single Player Demo released on PSN (for everyone)

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Is it just me, or do the Higs look like Darth Vader with his helmet off?

Their heads are all gross, pale and veiny. Yuck.

ultron87

Fun demo.

I'm pretty sure 1 out of every 2 ISA casualties takes place on one of those comically dangerous Intruder transports that almost always get shot down.

ultron87 said:
Fun demo.

I'm pretty sure 1 out of every 2 ISA casualties takes place on one of those comically dangerous Intruder transports that almost always get shot down.

That's exactly what I came here to post about... how dumb some of their designs are. Can they come up with something dumber than those transports that leave you vulnerable and the jet-pack with boosters in front of your face? lmao

nib95

Banned
This shot looks near CG quality. The lighting is insane.

Qml0m.jpg

Eliciel

those shots look completely insane. It's just not funny anymore, GG outdid themselves and they sometimes nearly achieve CG Quality.

Ghnvt

Neo Member
The demo is pretty good. The graphics are insane and the sound design is some of the best I have ever heard. Have to play Killzone 2 first, crap.

Zen

Banned
TacticalFox88 said:
I can't be the only one who's EXTREMELY annoyed at the fact that the water makes no splash. Like when I destroyed the dropship overhead, it just fell in the water with NO FUCKING SPLASH! How the fuck could they overlook something so obvious?

During the flyby sequence when you're on the heavy gun, look over at Rico when he's talking, his mouth doesn't move.

Look at the AA gun during the demolition/jetpack sequence, it's not shooting at anything, and the Raiders aren't even rendered in the scene, even though you can hear 'We've lost a Raider' and other such ocassional clips during said sequence.

Why did Sev and Rico randomly stop talking during the Raider sequence when the AA emplacements were no more numerous that they were on the rigs you just shot up a second before? Why was this one AA gun a huge deal when you can destroy several at the beginning of the demo by shooting them for 3 seconds?

Why did this one AA gun that shoots Rico and Sev down shout rockets during the cutscene, but not at any point after that.

Why is there no splash when things hit the water.

The entire demo sequence is totally illogical.

The game visuals truly are insane.

Though I have to say that GG are clever; some of the textures' resolution isn't impressive or dramatically better than other games; yet every surface stands out and shines tanks to the art direction and the smart use of shaders/bump mapping/normal maps/etc.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Those direct feeds look fucking insane. Urge to buy a new TV sooner than later is rising. It seems like every time one of Sony's graphical heavy hitters come out like they're in a different generation from everyone else. Stuff like motion blur, lighting, DoF, and shadows seem to come together in a really natural way that just puts most other games to shame because of how cohesive the look is. I really wish more devs could get close to this level of detail and care put into the visuals. Jurass, I hope you do more screen grabs from the full game.

NameIess

Anyone not willing to acknowledge the visuals of Killzone 3 are blind or just refuse to give credit where credit is due... It's hard to impress me with visuals because I'm a PC gamer use to playing games on max settings, but this game is incredible and it's even more impressive the PS3 can pull this off.

Dibbz

You know a game is graphically jaw dropping when you're taking pictures of anything and everything and it looks amazing.

heringer

Very disappointed with Move support. I played quite a few Wii FPS, so I was expecting a support similar to the most recent Wii shooters are offering in terms of configuration options.

- Even though you can set the bounding box to 0, it doesn't feel like it's small enough because the camera only starts to move at a reasonable speed when in the far edge of the screen.
- No ADS configuration. The default (only) config is not good because of the huge BB.
- The angle of the gun doesn't change when you move the pointer horizontally. It seems like a silly complain, but it actually makes a huge difference, visually speaking. As it is, it looks awkward.

Well, at least they made the analog aiming much better than Killzone 2.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
heringer said:
Very disappointed with Move support. I played quite a few Wii FPS, so I was expecting a support similar to the most recent Wii shooters are offering in terms of configuration options.

- Even though you can set the bounding box to 0, it doesn't feel like it's small enough because the camera only starts to move at a reasonable speed when in the far edge of the screen.
- No ADS configuration. The default (only) config is not good because of the huge BB.
- The angle of the gun doesn't change when you move the pointer horizontally. It seems like a silly complain, but it actually makes a huge difference, visually speaking. As it is, it looks awkward.

Well, at least they made the analog aiming much better than Killzone 2.
In that case, I recommend you up the turning speed.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
Looks and plays so amazing. Can't wait!

Don't mean to derail this thread but I have to get this off my chest, Edge has been so incredibly biased this generation against the PS3. A 7 for this game?! Anyway, it's been a long time since Edge was relevant.

heringer

bobbytkc said:
In that case, I recommend you up the turning speed.
Already set to the max. The turning speed is not the problem. The problem is, until you reach the far edge with the pointer (when the real turning speed kicks in), the speed is very slow and makes it feel like the bounding box is bigger than it actually is.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
heringer said:
Already set to the max. The turning speed is not the problem. The problem is, until you reach the far edge with the pointer (when the real turning speed kicks in), the speed is very slow and makes it feel like the bounding box is bigger than it actually is.
lol. In that case, I am not sure there is amything else you can do. I have mine set at 60. Anything above that and the screen becomes too twitchy for me.

heringer

bobbytkc said:
lol. In that case, I am not sure there is amything else you can do. I have mine set at 60. Anything above that and the screen becomes too twitchy for me.
Yeah, there's nothing to do. :(

For most people it's probably fine, since it's one of the first FPS to offer Move support. However, to people who already play FPS's on Wii (specially multiplayer), it's definitely lacking.

GeoramA

Best looking game ever. But I think the gameplay improvements are also just as big over KZ2. The gunplay and cover system have been perfected. And Guerrilla got jetpacks right on their first try.

Dug

Banned
Solideliquid said:
This is still for Playstation Plus subscribers only, is that going to change?
If you want to download it now, you can go back a page or two and look at Wario64's post.

Zen

Banned
Those screenshots are amazing. I'm (unfortunately) playing on a several years old 46 inch Samsung... it makes me want to hook my PS3 up to something more recent.

How did they achieve texture quality this good? The only thing that was lower res in the demo was the side of the mountain after you crash, and even that was pretty good quality considering that it was a generic mountain texture for something that was used as a massive background prop.

Some of it is because of the hyper detail texture effect thing taht we got a glimpse of in the Behind the Bullet thing, where it looks like they're overlaying a repeating patterns over top of texture source, but that's not all of it by any means. The engine is just absurd.

i played a lot with both controllers, and i can now say that, at least for the sigle player, i'm completely convinced by the Move controller. In fact, it's starting to feel weird to pick up the sixaxis. In stress situations (online) in still rely on the sixaxis a bit more. But the shift is happening people.

jett said:
The visuals in this thing are a notch beyond everything else.

They are aint they, the atmosphere really makes it. I feel i could wipe my finger across my tv and collect dust and stuff from the world the lighting and detail is beyond anything out there imho.

nib95

Banned
Just heard my (promo/review) copy of KZ3 is in! YAY! However, it is Valentines day so I probably won't get around to playing it (dammit!). Impressions fairly soon though lol.

Thrakier

Just played through the demo on hard with move and NO crosshair. Works amazingly well. Wow. Obviously it's a tiny bit harder than with crosshair, but that makes the fun, does it? It's just so much more immersive without that yellowish somewhat thing there...crazy. Best shooter experience this gen, period.

Stolpskott

Neo Member
Wario64 said:
Repost:

QUOTE TO SEE ACCOUNT INFO TO GRAB DEMO

If anyone wants the demo, the demo is still in my download history, which makes me believe anyone can grab it. Quote this message to see the account info. Do not repost account info anywhere else. I don't give a fuck if I lose the account, I just want to help GAFFERS out.

Cheers :)

If you're clueless, make a new user account on your PS3, sign up for PSN and create an existing PSN account. Use the account info above, login, go to the store and view the download list. Download and play.

Thanks!

Top Bottom