• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is there a reason why Euro Trucks and US Trucks look so different?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acidote

Enosh said:
isn't it cheaper for shiping companies to transport stuff for Hellsinki via ship to the port of Rotterdam, Hamburg or Antwerp, which are some of the biggest Euro ports and then to helsing, similary if you produce stuff in Madrid isn't in cheaper to drive it to the nearest port and load it on a ship that goes to one of the more northern ports anyway, if you can even do that, no idea?

but hell I have no idea how they have the whole thing done, or how the cost compare, I am just speculating ^^

I don't know, but there's (i.e) a huge load of trucks coming from Eastern Europe to Spain, and that is not a short trip either.

Lunchbox

Banned
Korey said:
I have never even heard of any of those places so America wins by default.
one of the cities he mentioned is where all the black players in the england national team got booed and abused during an international sporting event

and the other city is where -7 degree is considered summer and all the depressed death metal bands come from.

cleary a superior place than poor old america mang

R0nn

ITT: Americans who don't seem to realize that many trucks in Europe cross (multiple) borders to deliver cargo.

Gallbaro

Banned
LQX said:
I'm pretty sure you are wrong on this unless things have changed in the last 2 or so years but trucks do much of the transporting of goods in the US, not trains.

Trucks have the most share by Value and Tonnage which makes complete sense, given the fact that everything at one point will be on a truck.

Rail has the most share by tonne-miles.

Sealda

Banned
Pos. Make Units
1 Daimler AG (Mercedes-Benz, Freightliner Trucks, Sterling Trucks, Unimog, Western Star, Fuso) 478,535
2 Volvo Group (Volvo, Mack, Renault, UD Nissan Diesel) 438,954
3 Dongfeng 341,875
4 Tata Group (Tata Motors, Daewoo Commercial Vehicle) 159,237
5 Hyundai Group (Hyundai) 157,781
6 Hino Motors (Toyota Group) 129,107
7 Fiat Group (Iveco, Magirus, Astra, Seddon Atkinson, Yuejin) 127,542
8 PACCAR (DAF Trucks,Kenworth, Peterbilt, Leyland Trucks) 126,960
9 Volkswagen Group (Scania, Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles) 110,617
10 MAN SE (MAN SE, Volkswagen Trucks and Buses, China National Heavy Duty Truck Group) 92,485

Seems like American trucks got nothing on european companies in terms of truck sales. After all Daimler is german right. Also my guess is that only "in your face" styles are selling USA because american truck drivers do not want to be a "pussy" and drive one of those "pussy-looking" european models.

iidesuyo

Enosh said:
isn't it cheaper for shiping companies to transport stuff for Hellsinki via ship to the port of Rotterdam, Hamburg or Antwerp, which are some of the biggest Euro ports and then to helsing, similary if you produce stuff in Madrid isn't in cheaper to drive it to the nearest port and load it on a ship that goes to one of the more northern ports anyway, if you can even do that, no idea?

but hell I have no idea how they have the whole thing done, or how the cost compare, I am just speculating ^^

If you've ever driven on the highways of transit countries like Germany, you'll notice that the right lane is full of trucks from all countries. Especially from Eastern Europe, since their shipping companies are cheaper.

Just googled around a little bit, around 70% of cargo in Germany is transported by truck.

Scipius

As always, the superiority of a vehicle is to be found in its racing pedigree. One needs only compare what Americans call "truck racing" to what Europeans call "truck racing".

JonnyBrad

Euro trucks frequently go across Borders etc so length is a premium. So when trucks go on ferries or the eurotunnel they need to fit so length is at a premium. Simple enough.

krzy123

Volvo makes a "snout" truck here in the states. They have a plant in Va.

volvo-vn-series.jpg

Jobiensis

jamesinclair said:
False, trains are. Try again.

Yeah, second most.

krzy123 said:
Volvo makes a "snout" truck here in the states. They have a plant in Va.

Volvo also owns Mack which has manufacturing in PA or maybe Maryland now.

Kensworth is a British company.

Cab-overs are not very popular here. There used to be more of them. I've heard truckers bitching about them being unsafe.

Sealda

Banned
European
vn_730_powerlines.jpg

scania%20800x600.jpg

R470_800x600.jpg

Iveco-Stralis-AS440S48-Ferrari-Krause-290904-1.jpg

9D0BF_1.jpg

5DAC2_4.jpg

vt_830_sunset.jpg

mercedes-actros.jpg

american
New%20Truck%20Picture.jpg

rdtrain.jpg

Japan
7044052284095727.JPG

Russian

11_118.jpg

The thing is that european companies selling trucks in USA have to make specific designs so they look like the typical american vulgo-truck otherwise they dont sell in USA. Obviously the american trucks are extremely fuel inefficient and have little maneuverability. But since American gas always been so cheap, they never needed to care, unlike european gas that is really expensive. Also, european cities often very cramped and need better maneuverability trucks.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
R0nn said:
BTW, I think American trucks look better. I love the big snoots.

This

DanteFox said:
the fact that you don't even try to dispute it says more than the actual words in your post.

Are you and Lunchbox seriously upset? It was just harmless banter.

Lunchbox

Banned
MrBig said:
Weren't the current euro truck styles the norm in America 30 years ago?
they get our backdated shit and think of it as "OMG look at this amazing piece of tech, i bet we're the only ones!!"

just look at their movie, music industry. ignorance is bliss, leave them alone

LQX said:
I'm pretty sure you are wrong on this unless things have changed in the last 2 or so years but trucks do much of the transporting of goods in the US, not trains.
]

Long distance is all about the trains.

figure2_1.gif

Al-ibn Kermit

iidesuyo said:
They can still have a couple good musicians, but most of it's pretty bad. I drove from Niece to Paris and constantly had to change radio stations to find something that wasn't offensive.

Apparently there was a law in France that says something like 60% of music on the radio has to be European and 40% of the movies in theaters have to be French. I've never heard of any country having that law.

Shanadeus

Banned
I thought it was a matter of safety to have a shorter "nose"?
Something about how you won't be able to see any children on the road by a red light due to the american shape and thus risk driving over any kids in the way once the light goes green.

Jobiensis

Sealda, I believe that road train is Australian not American. Most states have pretty strict limits on length and number of trailers.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
LQX said:

He said they look exactly alike. To me they look pretty damn different besides being red. The NYC version is more rugged where as the Volvo looks kind of sleek.

http://static2.bigstockphoto.com/thumbs/2/5/9/large2/952578.jpg

When I said exactly the same, i was talking about basic shape. The VW one is obviously better looking since it's designed by VW.

DanteFox said:
which is why the entire world listens to our music and watches our movies.

The entire world also eats McDonald's.

Popularity != quality. America is just really good at shoving their bad taste in the world's face.

squicken

Al-ibn Kermit said:
Apparently there was a law in France that says something like 60% of music on the radio has to be European and 40% of the movies in theaters have to be French. I've never heard of any country having that law.

I think that's probably pretty common. Preservation of cultural heritage and all that.

Lunchbox

Banned
SuperAngelo64 said:

Popularity != quality. America is just really good at shoving their bad taste in the world's face.
and the world is really good at eating it all up and crying about it instead of doing something half as useful

make a fastfood chain that takes over the world with better food, oh wait you cant. you'll just have to wait for America to do it for you as usual. just like how you waited for us to take you to THE MOON

lethial

Reeeeeeee
Shanadeus said:
I thought it was a matter of safety to have a shorter "nose"?
Something about how you won't be able to see any children on the road by a red light due to the american shape and thus risk driving over any kids in the way once the light goes green.

Lots of residential roads in NA have a weight limit and if semis are found on those roads there is a very hefty fine. Plus it would be a real pain to get around corners, parked cars, etc. When it comes to safety and pedestrians, it's up to everybody to be defensive and keep your eyes open at all times.

caramac

Lunchbox said:
just look at their movie, music industry. ignorance is bliss, leave them alone
Yay ......does that mean you won't be visiting the football thread again?

On topic the film "Duel" just wouldn't have been the same with a euro truck.

mokeyjoe

SuperAngelo64 said:

Music is a weird example because people listen to music from all over the place and indigenous acts are as or more popular than imports (at least in the UK). Doesn't have much to do with trucks though. Or lorries for that matter.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
Mechanical Snowman said:
I would love to own and live in a semi truck, driving all around America and just chilling. Maybe put on cruise control and have a nap. Awesome.

See...people are gonna read this and think that's how cruise control works :/.

Lunchbox

Banned
CaramaC said:
Yay ......does that mean you won't be visiting the football thread again?

On topic the film "Duel" just wouldn't have been the same with a euro truck.
why would i not participate in a sport that my country is better at? see that second place? in our land we call it "first place loser"

grGvF.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom