• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You’ve Watched Lately |OT| - 2024

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Money Monster (2016)

Directed by Jodie Foster, starring George Clooney and Julia Roberts .... I was expecting a lot. It's a pretty average thriller. It effectively and humorously satirizes financial hucksters like Jim Cramer, though.

zYAO5Jx.gif

★★★★★ / Annnd thennn......?

Andyliini

Rise of the Planet of the Apes

And we reboot again. This time we are going to see how the intelligent apes came to be. The film is written like it could be a prequel to the original 1968 film, but or course takes huge liberties for itself. The story is really heartfelt, well told, and CGI apes work well too. Andy Serkis truly is a gift to motion capture technology.

Rise of the Planet of the Apes

And we reboot again. This time we are going to see how the intelligent apes came to be. The film is written like it could be a prequel to the original 1968 film, but or course takes huge liberties for itself. The story is really heartfelt, well told, and CGI apes work well too. Andy Serkis truly is a gift to motion capture technology.

Also don't forgot Draco Malfoy acting like a jerk again lol

angry punch GIF

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Apocalypto

Amazing movie portraying Mayan civilization in its decline, featuring an indigenous cast that speaks in their native tongue. The story follows a young man named Jaguar Paw who becomes captured when his village are attacked by another hostile tribe, and sees himself and his tribesmen get dragged to an ancient Mayan city where they will be sacrificed to the Aztec gods.

The story is simple, yet very compelling. The pacing is excellent, the action is riveting, the whole movie looks beautiful and is is very well shot. The Mayan setting is quite unique, I can't think of one movie that goes this far to portray this particular era with this much attention to detail. I know the movie has been criticized for historical inaccuracies, but it feels authentic, raw and is just dripping with atmosphere. The cast is great, both the heroes and the villains are compelling characters, very believable and very natural in the emotions they display. They are also rocking some very cool outfits, especially the bad guys.

Apocalypto also has great environmental storytelling, with a lot of "show, don't tell" - mentality. You can basically watch the entire movie without sub titles and you will have no issues understanding the characters, the story or what is going on. Say what you will about Mel Gibson, but he's an hell of a film director. Apocalypto is easily his best directorial effort. It's truly one of a kind.

Apocalypto

Amazing movie portraying Mayan civilization in its decline, featuring an indigenous cast that speaks in their native tongue. The story follows a young man named Jaguar Paw who becomes captured when his village are attacked by another hostile tribe, and sees himself and his tribesmen get dragged to an ancient Mayan city where they will be sacrificed to the Aztec gods.

The story is simple, yet very compelling. The pacing is excellent, the action is riveting, the whole movie looks beautiful and is is very well shot. The Mayan setting is quite unique, I can't think of one movie that goes this far to portray this particular era with this much attention to detail. I know the movie has been criticized for historical inaccuracies, but it feels authentic, raw and is just dripping with atmosphere. The cast is great, both the heroes and the villains are compelling characters, very believable and very natural in the emotions they display. They are also rocking some very cool outfits, especially the bad guys.

Apocalypto also has great environmental storytelling, with a lot of "show, don't tell" - mentality. You can basically watch the entire movie without sub titles and you will have no issues understanding the characters, the story or what is going on. Say what you will about Mel Gibson, but he's an hell of a film director. Apocalypto is easily his best directorial effort. It's truly one of a kind.

I love Mel Gibson as an actor/director

I loved every movie he directed too

I still need to see Passion of the Christ and Apocalypto though

The Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare.

It was ok. Guy Ritchie needs to stick to crime movies like Snatch or The Gentleman. This one reminded me of Inglorious Bastards, just not as good. I enjoyed it, but it wasn't great.

Jennifer Lawrence Dog GIF by Sony Pictures

No Hard Feelings

Overall, I rather enjoyed it. There is a beach scene that … Jennifer Lawerence really committed herself to and gave it her ALL.
Yes Sir, No Hard Feelings is a great movie.

Jennifer is a stunningly beautiful woman

Now I'm forced to go see Challengers in cinema starring 'I can make a poop face' Zendaya. FUCK 😭

Last edited:

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Abigail was actually decent you know. Gets a little bit silly in the final act but the movie sort of earns it. Could been better but could've seen A LOT worse, I think the trailer sort of gives away the reveal but it gets even deeper than that.

Last edited:
The Fall Guy

It's ok. I had the same issue with this that I did with Leitch's last movie. I didn't find the "comedic banter" clever or funny, and there's A LOT of it. It came off a bit too try hard.

Andyliini

Ghostbusters - Frozen Empire

Considering I found Afterlife to be thoroughly boring and srupid film, I kind of enjoyed this one. There's still some of the toy commercial side, but it has a good pace and some funny jokes too. Maybe the third act could have gotten to the main action a bit sooner (and the battle was over quite quickly too), but other than that, it was fine. Not a masterpiece or anything, just fine.

Skinamarink

I was ready to hate this after the first 15 minutes, but I'll be honest: This movie was scary. If you don't know, it's 1h40m, and a good 1h30m of that is shots of corners of walls/ceilings, old cartoon clips, and Lego bricks. I felt bored, uncomfortable, and unnerved. It's an art piece. There's no plot. And I'm gonna have trouble sleeping tonight.

GeekyDad

Finally watched Dune part 2.

I'm a huge Chris Walken fan but I think he was miscast.
Austin Butler on the other hand 😄
Hmm...didn't realize Christopher Walken was gonna be a part of this series. I might have to reconsider. Of course, the emperor's role in the story isn't (or at least wasn't in the book) a major character.

I could have seen him as Paul's father. That could have been cool.

Last edited:

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
ems.cHJkLWVtcy1hc3NldHMvbW92aWVzL2M2ODY1NTM0LTJkODktNDQ4Mi04MTM4LTJmZTQxOGRiZWIxZi5qcGc=

dumb af

MV5BZTA1Y2Q0N2QtNjU2Yi00MTMxLWI4NmUtMWFjNzRkNzU1ODRhXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTY3ODkyNDkz._V1_.jpg

enjoyed this. entire cast is great

4e6tw5q49u-scaled.webp

Loved this. Very creative and surprisingly deep

dune-part-2-fan-art-poster-by-beenum-editz-v0-5r4cp9ehtkob1.jpg

not gona lie didn't understand what was going half the time but was completely mesmerized. prob should have rewatched the 1st one.
-not sure what the point of the feyd character or the gladiator scene. Guy didn't really do anything and had to drug chumps in order to beat them??
-Last fight with Paul didn't make sense. Paul getting stabbed then suddenly magic happens and the sword is turned on feyd? mb need to rewatch
-The CGI is never distracting which is incredible for a film of this scale
-Are all bene gesserits drinking the water of life to get their powers?? I'm confused
-Ending was funny; Chani butthurt so she decides to ride off a sand worm like its an uber
-I need more, I can't stop thinking about it. Wish this was made into a TV series

Last edited:

Biff

Late Night with the Devil (2023) - SO. DAMN. GOOD. This is low-budget horror at its best. Acting is good, bordering on great. The horror itself is fine. Definitely some cliche elements to it but it's to be expected. And the few bits of CGI in the film are bad. But what makes the overall package so good is the direction of the movie: how it is shot as an actual late night show that you would be watching from your couch at midnight. It works so much better than I expected. Perfect 1.5hr run time as well. WATCH THIS MOVIE!

Also be prepared for the longest set of production company title cards you will have ever seen when the movie starts. I honestly thought it was a joke. Reminded me of the start of Tim and Eric's Billion Dollar Movie.

Last edited:

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
Late Night with the Devil (2023) - SO. DAMN. GOOD. This is low-budget horror at its best. Acting is good, bordering on great. The horror itself is fine. Definitely some cliche elements to it but it's to be expected. And the few bits of CGI in the film are bad. But what makes the overall package so good is the direction of the movie: how it is shot as an actual late night show that you would be watching from your couch at midnight. It works so much better than I expected. Perfect 1.5hr run time as well. WATCH THIS MOVIE!

Also be prepared for the longest set of production company title cards you will have ever seen when the movie starts. I honestly thought it was a joke. Reminded me of the start of Tim and Eric's Billion Dollar Movie.
I thought the commercial breaks really helped to break the tension, add realism and help the overall pacing. I wonder if the director was influenced by this k&p sketch which I always found to be brilliant

Last edited:

violence

Alien 1979

I saw this movie in the theater yesterday. I’ve seen the movie several times, but never in the theater. As much as I like the movie Aliens and I thought Cameron did a great job, watching this movie, the entire time I can’t couldn’t help but saying

“Remember when they didn’t make another one of these?”
“...and then Hollywood didn’t make another one!”

Last edited:
Hell or High Water is great. I can't put my finger on why, but the action scenes got me hyped in a way similar ones in other movies haven't. Something about how nonchalant and believable Ben Foster's character is when SHTF really pulled me in.

Civil War (2024): 8/10. Really, really liked it, and I'm surprised it didn't do very well at the box office. I cared for the characters and enjoyed their dynamics. I didn't watch any trailers, so I didn't realize it was sold as an action movie until afterwards. It's not all-out action, but what was there was intense and well-done. Reading online, looks like a lot of people were upset that they couldn't project modern-day politics on to one side or the other so they couldn't make their real-life political opponents the "bad guys". Makes me think they'd be the ones wanting an actual modern-day US civil war to happen.

The Lodge (2019): 5/10. Could have been so much better. Ironically, my suspension-of-disbelief came crashing down when it's revealed
they weren't actually dead; it's just that the kids were cruelly gaslighting their soon-to-be stepmom. I'd be more willing to believe that the characters were trapped in Purgatory than I would be that the dad would leave his two kids with the only surviving member of a suicide cult for days without checking in with his fiancée and that two kids could pull off the mind games that they do.

bitbydeath

Dawn of the Dead

First time since I’ve seen it in cinema back in 03. Not tooo keen on Zombie and/or horror movies in general any more but I have to say this one is absolutely legit. Super entertaining. Loved the ending. Think this must be the only Snyder film that ain’t style over substance.
Fantastic movie, and somewhat reminiscent of Aliens where comedy actors play the bad guys. Ty Burrell/Paul Reiser.

Andyliini

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

Considering Rise was already a fine flick, I'd like to think many had high hopes for the next in line. This time Matt Reeves takes the helm, and delivers a phenomenal movie, with high production values, interesting characters and some room for thought as well. I like how neither side is completely good or evil, but have both intentions going on them, while the weak follow the strong. No wonder Fox ordered another before this one even released.

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

Considering Rise was already a fine flick, I'd like to think many had high hopes for the next in line. This time Matt Reeves takes the helm, and delivers a phenomenal movie, with high production values, interesting characters and some room for thought as well. I like how neither side is completely good or evil, but have both intentions going on them, while the weak follow the strong. No wonder Fox ordered another before this one even released.

Rise and Dawn are fantastic

I hope you like the third film. I personally found it boring and bad

NahaNago

Saw Boys kills World in theaters and it was an okay movie. I liked the fights and brutality but it didn't go far enough in being over the top. I would have liked a bit more humor and maybe made the bad guys even wackier. It feels like it could almost have been a cult classic.

Top Bottom