• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is there a reason why Euro Trucks and US Trucks look so different?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanteFox

SuperAngelo64 said:
The entire world also eats McDonald's.

Popularity != quality. America is just really good at shoving their bad taste in the world's face.
That's because even mcdonald's tastes good to their poor, unrefined, real-burger-deprived taste buds. Believe me, we have much better burgers than that here in the U.S.

=D

cthoaa

Al-ibn Kermit said:
I really doubt that. I've never heard of that law anywhere else.

I've heard mention of similar laws. For example, movies in China:
China limits the number of foreign films permitted to be shown in the country to 20 a year, and it also regulates the amount of time each of those films can be shown.

Radio, TV in Canada:
Canadian content (abbreviated CanCon, cancon or can-con) refers to the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission requirements that radio and television broadcasters (including cable and satellite specialty channels) must air a certain percentage of content that was at least partly written, produced, presented, or otherwise contributed to by persons from Canada.

mokeyjoe

Lunchbox said:
and the world is really good at eating it all up and crying about it instead of doing something half as useful

It's hard to think of anything more useless. As someone else mentioned, in a country full of delicious burgers how the hell did McDonald's get so popular?

ascii42

OpinionatedCyborg said:
this is arrrrrrrre countrehhhh

like arawwwwwkkkk ... I was strong as I could be... like arawwwwwk
j0wc2d.jpg

Itt: Lunchbox gets butthurt and over defensive.

For what it's worth I prefer American trucks but I'm not so insecure about my own country to panic if someone doesn't like something about jolly old England.

Ps pavement > sidewalk, now excuse me whilst I drink my coke and watch WWE :p

X26

Banned
I've ridden (not drove) in both kinds and much prefer cab overs, much better lines of sight and it generally felt safer

iidesuyo

Sealda said:
Pos. Make Units
1 Daimler AG (Mercedes-Benz, Freightliner Trucks, Sterling Trucks, Unimog, Western Star, Fuso) 478,535
2 Volvo Group (Volvo, Mack, Renault, UD Nissan Diesel) 438,954
3 Dongfeng 341,875
4 Tata Group (Tata Motors, Daewoo Commercial Vehicle) 159,237
5 Hyundai Group (Hyundai) 157,781
6 Hino Motors (Toyota Group) 129,107
7 Fiat Group (Iveco, Magirus, Astra, Seddon Atkinson, Yuejin) 127,542
8 PACCAR (DAF Trucks,Kenworth, Peterbilt, Leyland Trucks) 126,960
9 Volkswagen Group (Scania, Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles) 110,617
10 MAN SE (MAN SE, Volkswagen Trucks and Buses, China National Heavy Duty Truck Group) 92,485

Seems like American trucks got nothing on european companies in terms of truck sales. After all Daimler is german right. Also my guess is that only "in your face" styles are selling USA because american truck drivers do not want to be a "pussy" and drive one of those "pussy-looking" european models.

Iveco is Fiat? Didn't know that. And somewhat funny that Volkswagen Trucks & Buses is owned by MAN.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
iidesuyo said:
What the... where did I mock anything?!

Edit: Actually I think US trucks look quite cool. The Coca Cola trucks use their design too, otherwisae they are not seen around here.

i wasnt talking about you in particular, its something i tend to notice about many euro vs us threads.

DennisK4 said:
Too bad most of North America is unihabitable by civilized people.

*sips wine*

and it begins

1297825618144.gif

iidesuyo

Parallax said:
i wasnt talking about you in particular, its something i tend to notice about many euro vs us threads.

Oh come on. How often are Europeans mocked by Americans? It happens all the time.

SUPREME1

Banned
Fuck this thread.

When America, that's right America, because we come up with all the dope shit, figures out time travel...

I'm persoanlly gonna go back in time to 1941 and show the president this thread.

I'm fucking positive he'll continue to let the Nazis rape Europe without interfering. And deservingly so.

While he's at it, he'll likely focus all our efforts on decimating Japan quickly and when they give up, make it illegal to build cars... EVER.

Europe and Toyota taken care of in one glorious action.

America forever bitches.

*AMERICAN PATRIOT*

I had no idea Europe had such nice trucks. Bald eagle am shed a tear.

iidesuyo

ImperialConquest said:
I'm fucking positive he'll continue to let the Nazis rape Europe without interfering. And deservingly so.

[/spoiler]

And then what? Mercedes-Benz and VW would suddenly stop making cars? The Beetle was a car that was greenlighted by Hitler himself.

But yeah I get your point

Veins

Unconfirmed Member
I love the European trucks, they just look much nicer and technological. I think it's because they are so compact and also luxury car brands like Mercedes make them.

Dali

Jobiensis said:
It's worse than you think, the 'American' trucks aren't American any more.
That's what I find funny about this entire thread. Even though people have said it and posted pictures of semis that are American and lack the snout, people still persist with American semi="snout", Euro = no "snout". The T2 picture really should have ended the thread.

East bound and down, loaded up and truckin',
we're gonna do what they say can't be done.
We've got a long way to go and a short time to get there.
I'm east bound, just watch ol' "Bandit" run.

Keep your foot hard on the pedal. Son, never mind them brakes.
Let it all hang out 'cause we got a run to make.
The boys are thirsty in Atlanta and there's beer in Texarcana.
And we'll bring it back no matter what it takes.

ksan

Jobiensis said:
It's worse than you think, the 'American' trucks aren't American any more.
Depends on how you define it though, I think many car companies still retain the same "personality" even when they are bought by a foreign company.

minus_273

Banned
the US is a much bigger country. Think of the cabin of a US truck as being a small room with sleeping space and a steering wheel. The differentiating factor and a major cost driver on us trucks is the comfort level of the cabins. there are entire businesses that exist to improve the comfort of the cabin for long haul trips.

devilhawk

iidesuyo said:
Just wow at the "LOL stupid Euros don't know how big America is". Tell that to the truckers who, for example, regulary drive from Madrid to Helsinki and back. Or Denmark-Turkey etc.

Yeah, I'm sure that's what the standard length of a truck in the US is.
Yeah, and all the drivers that drive from Nome to Key West.

esquire

Has waited diligently to think of something to say before making this post
I don't even get this thread. The US has both the "European" style and the "American" style Mac trucks. I'm looking at a European style truck in America right now.

Loxley

esquire said:
I don't even get this thread. The US has both the "European" style and the "American" style Mac trucks. I'm looking at a European style truck in America right now.

Yeah, this quickly turned into one of the weirder dick-measuring contests between EU/US GAF I've seen lately.

Both continents have both kinds of trucks, but of course we can't just high-five and be friends, can we? N000ooo000ooo.

esquire said:

Yeah i was confused too, because we have a lot of those trucks. It's pretty common.

WEGGLES

I think it's long haul vs short haul maybe? As I've seen both styles around here. COE trucks driving in the city, and the "snoot" trucks on the 401.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
This thread started out with a valid question (I've wondered about these different truck designs myself), but quickly turned stupid. Some Americans sure get butthurt easily when something regarding their great, superior nation is questioned or criticised.

Korey

RoadHazard said:
This thread started out with a valid question (I've wondered about these different truck designs myself), but quickly turned stupid. Some Americans sure get butthurt easily when something regarding their great, superior nation is questioned or criticised.
*critisized

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
RoadHazard said:
Please. When the first few posts are putting down the american models while praising their european counterparts with absolutely no reason, what did you expect would happen?

methos75

Banned
In a episode of Top Gear they stated that European Lorries are vastly underpowered compared to American Semi's, so its definitely the power that causes the design difference.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Korey said:
*critisized

*Spelled differently in British/American English. Both are correct.

Parallax said:
Please. When the first few posts are putting down the american models while praising their european counterparts with absolutely no reason, what did you expect would happen?

I'm not talking about just the trucks, but about the general "USA vs Europe" turn the thread took.

(I'm not saying Europeans don't ever get butthurt. Of course we do. But Americans are generally perceived as being a lot more patriotic than most Europeans, and some posts in this thread do nothing to disprove that.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom