• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT2| We Love Cars

DonMigs85

Mizzou Gaming said:
I'm still confused to no damage in A Spec racing. What exactly is the repair, and car wash things for?
I think as the mileage piles up on your car it can eventually affect its handling and performance, so that's what the engine/chassis repairs are for.
As for car wash, I've never really noticed any effect at all.

Shaneus

DonMigs85 said:
I think as the mileage piles up on your car it can eventually affect its handling and performance, so that's what the engine/chassis repairs are for.
As for car wash, I've never really noticed any effect at all.
But from what I've seen, aside from engine damage there's absolutely no indicator of how much a car might need a rebuild. There's no immediate indication of engine damage (just keep an eye on the maximum HP after an oil change... another unneeded inane "feature") and handling changes so insignificantly there's no way of telling if the car needs it (or how fucked it is). Why would I spend half a mil on fixing a car when I have no idea how bad everything is or how much difference it will make?

end rant.

Az

Finally I have time to play games again so I am slowly going back into this.
Did some SP stuff here and there.

So I go into the MP to for a few races and what do I see:
-NASCAR
-NASCAR
-NASCAR
-NASCAR
-NASCAR
-NASCAR
-NASCAR
-Drag
-NASCAR
-NASCAR
-Drag
-Drag
-NASCAR
-NASCAR
-NASCAR
-NASCAR
-NASCAR

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu logs off.

TheAzRim said:

-NASCAR
-NASCAR
-NASCAR
-NASCAR
-NASCAR
-NASCAR
-NASCAR
-Drag
-NASCAR
-NASCAR
-Drag
-Drag
-NASCAR
-NASCAR
-NASCAR
-NASCAR
-NASCAR

You've got to love our American cousins. It's either cars going fast in a straight line or cars going fast in an oval. So many choices...

Angst

Best races with randoms I've had has been with Germans. Just find a lobby with a German guy hosting and the room will for some reason be filled with only Germans.

The Germans I've raced with has been pretty good racers and very fair. And listening to their chattering is like listening to a DTM race. :)

Shaneus said:
But from what I've seen, aside from engine damage there's absolutely no indicator of how much a car might need a rebuild. There's no immediate indication of engine damage (just keep an eye on the maximum HP after an oil change... another unneeded inane "feature") and handling changes so insignificantly there's no way of telling if the car needs it (or how fucked it is). Why would I spend half a mil on fixing a car when I have no idea how bad everything is or how much difference it will make?

end rant.

This pretty much covers my thoughts and frustration with this matter.

I've added a lot of Gaffers to my friendlist from this thread mainly for remote races. If you are on my friendlist please beware that I've been running a lot of remote races, a lot, but I'm probably not going to use your drivers if you aren't doing any remote races yourself. I don't expect anyone to match my number of races but a race here and there will definately increase the likelyhood of me using yours.

Oh I'm URide_A_Shortbus btw, feel free to send me a friend request if you want me to use your drivers, but please take take notice of what I posted above. As far as those that have been using my drivers I say THANK YOU, I really appreciate it. Hopefully I've earned you some decent credits xp as well.

Mizzou Gaming said:
I've added a lot of Gaffers to my friendlist from this thread mainly for remote races. If you are on my friendlist please beware that I've been running a lot of remote races, a lot, but I'm probably not going to use your drivers if you aren't doing any remote races yourself. I don't expect anyone to match my number of races but a race here and there will definately increase the likelyhood of me using yours.

Oh I'm URide_A_Shortbus btw, feel free to send me a friend request if you want me to use your drivers, but please take take notice of what I posted above. As far as those that have been using my drivers I say THANK YOU, I really appreciate it. Hopefully I've earned you some decent credits xp as well.

You're on my rotation list for remote racing. (PSN:YobRenoops)

RotBot

TheAzRim said:
I don't see the appeal of those type of races at all. It's boring and not challenging at all.
The only online races that are consistently interesting for me are same model or shuffle races. Even with PP restrictions, normal races still usually don't lead to a field of equal cars. But few people bother to play those modes because same model races have to be selected from the tiny recommended cars list and shuffle races always use the same set of low-performance cars.

It would be so easy improve these, though. The host should be able to choose any car in their garage for everyone to drive. And there should be a slider to select higher or lower-level cars in shuffle mode.

Az

RotBot said:
The only online races that are consistently interesting for me are same model or shuffle races. Even with PP restrictions, normal races still usually don't lead to a field of equal cars. But few people bother to play those modes because same model races have to be selected from the tiny recommended cars list and shuffle races always use the same set of low-performance cars.

It would be so easy improve these, though. The host should be able to choose any car in their garage for everyone to drive. And there should be a slider to select higher or lower-level cars in shuffle mode.

Out of the hundreds of rooms available there is usually one room that gets it right. I think I'll try changing to euro servers, hopefully the connection is not going to suck.

mclaren777

I think it's time to put a bullet in the head of my sacrificial lamb (James Hunt).

He finally fulfilled his sole purpose in life (B-Spec NASCAR, Daytona & GV) so it's time to let him go.

TheAzRim said:
Out of the hundreds of rooms available there is usually one room that gets it right. I think I'll try changing to euro servers, hopefully the connection is not going to suck.

I have played GAF races with people from all over the world (japan, new zealand, australia, USA, Canada, all over Europe) at the same time and I never had any problems with lag.

TheSeks said:
Welp. Kaz just confirming my quitting then.

So are they just trying to alienate the hardcore following now?

-Patched the "duping"

-Crap Seasonal Events

The seasonal events was supposed to at least remedy the duping patch, so I can still make good money and buy expensive cars. I guess not.

gg PD ._.

Dibbz

I think the seasonal events are there for a reason other than making grinding easier.

I remember shortly after the game came out people were complaining that A-Spec mode never gave people the opportunity to use the 100-300bhp cars and earn money and I think these seasonal events are the answer to that.

I do think that there should be events that allow you to get a lot of money to make sure you are not grinding like a mad man though.

Mush

TheAzRim said:

-NASCAR
-NASCAR
-NASCAR
-NASCAR
-NASCAR
-NASCAR
-NASCAR
-Drag
-NASCAR
-NASCAR
-Drag
-Drag
-NASCAR
-NASCAR
-NASCAR
-NASCAR
-NASCAR

Super GT luvs youuuuuuuu <3

please come back :(

DJ88

Whats up everyone. I've been a long time lurker of this thread waiting anxiously for my account to be accepted.

Now that it finally has, I come to the GT5 OT in desperate search of online players that actually know the difference between a brake and a gas pedal. I just finished a few online races that have completely turned me off from driving with random people ever again. It's not fun getting eliminated in the first corner of the race you've waited 10+ min. to start.

My PS3 username is colombiandj88. I don't have a mic but I do have a bluetooth keyboard. I'm not a hardcore racer by any means, but I do have a G27 and have gold on all the license tests, so I can definitely hold my own. I have a full time job/school/gf so I'm not on a lot, but when I am, I'd love some fun clean racing.

I know there's a Super GT league which I'm interested in since the Super GT cars are my favroite to drive in the game, so that would be awesome to participate in. Hope I can build a nice long list of friends from this thread soon. Thanks!

Mush

DJ88 said:
Whats up everyone. I've been a long time lurker of this thread waiting anxiously for my account to be accepted.

Now that it finally has, I come to the GT5 OT in desperate search of online players that actually know the difference between a brake and a gas pedal. I just finished a few online races that have completely turned me off from driving with random people ever again. It's not fun getting eliminated in the first corner of the race you've waited 10+ min. to start.

My PS3 username is colombiandj88. I don't have a mic but I do have a bluetooth keyboard. I'm not a hardcore racer by any means, but I do have a G27 and have gold on all the license tests, so I can definitely hold my own. I have a full time job/school/gf so I'm not on a lot, but when I am, I'd love some fun clean racing.

I know there's a Super GT league which I'm interested in since the Super GT cars are my favroite to drive in the game, so that would be awesome to participate in. Hope I can build a nice long list of friends from this thread soon. Thanks!
Welcome, friend! I am the organiser of said Super GT League and we would be happy to have your entry for Season 2. Pop over to the thread when ever you feel like it and get in touch with everyone.

Hope you enjoy your stay at GAF, it's pretty freakin' sweet. ;)

mclaren777

I'm still struggling to gold the Vettel Challenges.

Are people having more success with the DS3 instead of steering wheels?

fu3lfr3nzy said:

-Patched the "duping"

-Crap Seasonal Events

The seasonal events was supposed to at least remedy the duping patch, so I can still make good money and buy expensive cars. I guess not.

gg PD ._.

Actually, I'd have called the 'hardcore' the people who are willing to play GT5 like they've played every other GT game, especially GT3 and GT4. By grinding events over and over to earn cash for every car legitimately.

They're only alienating the casuals.

UFRA

fu3lfr3nzy said:

-Patched the "duping"

-Crap Seasonal Events

gg PD ._.

Seriously, no kidding.

I am honestly and genuinely irritated just thinking about their decisions. WTF is going through their heads that makes these decisions seem good for the majority of the fanbase??

Arrrrrrrrrgelrhwlhgaolshjgp asu=s0u

Dead Man

-Deadpool- said:
Actually, I'd have called the 'hardcore' the people who are willing to play GT5 like they've played every other GT game, especially GT3 and GT4. By grinding events over and over to earn cash for every car legitimately.

They're only alienating the casuals.
Grinding legitimately? What the hell sort of piss poor game design is that? Not to mention, there was only a portion of the grind required in GT4 since you could re win prize cars which were where the real value was. So you could re do events for a good reward, avoiding grinding all together if you wanted.

Edit: Not forgetting of course that the most expensive car in 4 was something like 5 million, and there was no credit ceiling as far as I am aware. Also not forgetting that for a series like GT, the approval of the 'casuals' is massively important, or do you think there multiple millions of 'hardcore' sitting around waiting to metaphorically flog themselves into a frenzy for their god, Kaz?

Dead Man

-Deadpool- said:
It's Polyphony's game design. Like it or not.
Yeah, sure. I, and many other people in this thread feel it's shit, what you gonna do, come over to my house and make me play legitimately? Oooohhh...

Dead Man said:
Yeah, sure. I, and many other people in this thread feel it's shit, what you gonna do, come over to my house and make me play legitimately? Oooohhh...
Seriously?

I think after the recent patch barring duping of cars over 1m credits, Polyphony have forced your hand anyway?

Dead Man

-Deadpool- said:
Seriously?

I think after the recent patch barring duping of cars over 1m credits, Polyphony have forced your hand anyway?
Nah, I'm, just not playing it, and not recommending it to any of my friends. Well done PD, you sure made that experience better for everyone. Go back the funny pictures thread so you can make some more unintentionally funny defences of the PS3.

UFRA

-Deadpool- said:
It's Polyphony's game design. Like it or not.

That doesn't mean people can't complain about it.

The fact is, it's BULLSHIT. As a hardcore GT fan (I've played every one since the first - I completed GT1 to 100% twice just for fun, and GT2 through 4 I have in the 80% range) I'm absolutely baffled at the more extreme level of grinding in GT5.

In previous GT games, I don't recall any 20,000,000 cars, yet there were events which you could just rake in the cash and feel super rich with just 3,000,000 or so. In GT5 I feel poor with 2,500,000 in my bank currently.

That's not right at all. As a hardcore GT fan, I am disappointed to see this. Not that I want the game to be casual, but I want it to be BALANCED. The fact that you only get like 100,000 for spending almost 2 hours in an endurance race is ridiculous. And I think someone said you get only 550,000 for the 24hr LeMans race?

That's not making a game for the "hardcore and dedicated" it's making a bullshit design where players have no choice but to dealwithit.gif...

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
fu3lfr3nzy said:

-Patched the "duping"

-Crap Seasonal Events

gg PD ._.

I'm sure the hardcore are going to be into "brutal" grinding for 100K a pop to get 20mill for a car. Meanwhile, casuals and "hardcore gamers" like myself, aren't.

Sorry, Kaz. But sitting and doing Like the Wind Indy for hours isn't fun for me. And your low seasonals don't recoup the costs of cars in the 10+ mill range. Try again.

-Deadpool- said:

Grind what legit? EVERYONE says the cash rewards are bullshit because get this: THERE IS 20MILLION CASH CARS IN THE GAME AND MAJOR GRIND TO GET THEM.

The only people truly happy about the cap are the "B-B-BUT THE X1 WAS SUPPOSED TO BE PRESTIGIOUS! *slash wrists*" butthurt "legit" people that think sitting and doing Like the Wind-Indy for 200 races is fun. It isn't. It's boring and annoying just to get a few new cars and then have to grind more hours to recoup the costs of those cars and get another car(s).

UFRA said:
That doesn't mean people can't complain about it.

I haven't said people couldn't either.

UFRA said:
The fact is, it's BULLSHIT. As a hardcore GT fan (I've played every one since the first - I completed GT1 to 100% twice just for fun, and GT2 through 4 I have in the 80% range) I'm absolutely baffled at the more extreme level of grinding in GT5.

In previous GT games, I don't recall any 20,000,000 cars, yet there were events which you could just rake in the cash and feel super rich with just 3,000,000 or so. In GT5 I feel poor with 2,500,000 in my bank currently.

That's not right at all. As a hardcore GT fan, I am disappointed to see this. Not that I want the game to be casual, but I want it to be BALANCED. The fact that you only get like 100,000 for spending almost 2 hours in an endurance race is ridiculous. And I think someone said you get only 550,000 for the 24hr LeMans race?

That's not making a game for the "hardcore and dedicated" it's making a bullshit design where players have no choice but to dealwithit.gif...

I completed GT3 to about 90% and GT4 all the way to 100%. The latter took me well over 6 months, loads of grinding and plenty of patience.

I'm not arguing prize money either, Enduros are indeed useless as far as prize credits go.

Not sure why you've directed all that at me, I didn't make any comment about any of that. My original post was addressing "fu3lfr3nzy's" post stating removing duping and (so-called) 'crap' Seasonal events alienates the hardcore.

I stand by that. It doesn't alienate the hardcore, it alienates the casuals who want 100% completion and to own every car yesterday. The 'hardcore' will keep playing the game no matter what Polyphony do. They'll still be playing it in six months time. I know this, because I consider myself a hardcore GT5 player - and I'm still playing it. Will still be playing it in probably 12 months time.

UFRA

-Deadpool- said:
Not sure why you've directed all that at me...

Because for some reason you seem to be defending PD's decisions, with an almost smug attitude about being 'legit' when I believe I can safely say the majority of people are pretty annoyed by the game design decisions.

There's a reason the game didn't break 90 in Metacritic. This could have been the game of all games, but they screwed up.

UFRA said:
Because for some reason you seem to be defending PD's decisions.

Defending? Naa.

Maybe it was my use of the word "legitimately" in my original post that's got the duping exploiters all over this one.

GT5's littered with game design issues, duping was never one of them. They've plugged an exploit. Cest la vie.

EDIT: To add and avoid the 'smug' tag, the proper response now from Polyphony would be to fix the Cr on events, particularly the enduros. And remove the cash cap.

brentech

This may have been noted, but I just kind of noticed this right now.
We know the PP system has been weird, but one of the reasons I just saw is due to the update removing tires from the equation.

Apparently, the initial patch with PP set your points to their value with whatever tires the car had. When the next patch hit, it removed it, but didn't update the value in your garage listing. You can see the update value by 'opening' the car, but that still won't update the thumbnail or whatnot in the main garage menu.

To update the thumbnail, you actually need to go into the car's "tuning" menu. Upon exiting the tuning screen, the thumbnail will refresh with the correct PP.

I only noticed all this because I felt like many of my cars were way out of order, and upon looking into their stats and weight/power ratio, I noticed when I left the screen it would be correct.

I hit level 19 A-spec and I'm starting to see the grind everyone is talking about. The actual A-spec races don't seem to give much experience and credits compared to the Special Events. I made it to level 30 on B-spec through remote racing. The credits and experience system is incoherent and unbalanced.

I'm still enjoying the game, but I understand the complaints now. Is there a tuning guide somewhere? I'm a bit lost as to how upgrades affect the car, especially the drive train and suspension.

-Deadpool- said:
They've plugged an exploit. Cest la vie.
No, plugging an exploit would be keeping a list of the cars you have sent online, and removing them after restoring a backup.

This is more akin to breaking someone's legs to ensure they never kick someone.

Toxa

nice car :)

148865SiennePiazzadelCampo1.jpg

Toxa

amar212 said:
Wait a second.. Is this the All Gold Skyline, or?

EDITED: Ok, I found out, GT Academy version. I presume it is not giftable.

yep all you have to do is to take part to the GT academy and set a laptime

Mazdarati

Neo Member
Isn't that the die cast car that came with the collector's edition? I had no idea it was in the game. It looks similar to the GT Academy one with an RM twist to it.
Where did you get this car from Toxa?

edit: nvm...just read your post...

It really doesn't bother me that a few extremely rare, historic cars are very expensive: they should be. That makes them special. There is an incredible variety of affordable cars for you to drive, but you whine incessantly because you can't have cars X, Y and Z right away. Fine, I guess. You made your point. Now, please, inform us of this a bit less frequently.

Angst

TheAzRim said:
I would love to, but looks like you guys have one race left. Are there any plans for a new season?
Definitely! Mush is planning the second season now. There's a form to fill out if you want to participate. Check the Super GT thread.

Top Bottom