• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon White/Black sell 1.08 million on day 1. New Pokemon record

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Salaadin said:
Im curious to see how/if Pokemon Grey will be. Will it be a rehash of the DS games with added features or will they make it 3DS only...or add in 3DS features? Or will they skip one and go straight for a new version.
The betting man says that Grey will be 3DS exclusive. Assuming grey hits early 2012 in japan at the earliest, "DS" games will be a long forgotten footnote by that point. I mean in any region what DS games will seriously be coming out 4-6 months from now? Looking at the US list on IGN really after around Mar-Apr nothing meaningful at all is coming out for DS here. I'd imagine it will be the same around the world, aside from MAYBE niche and/or long awaited localizations.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
Forkball said:
For those interested, here is a summary of the sales for the main line of games (from Wikipedia so it is 110% reliable):

Pokemon Red/Blue/Green: 23.6 Million (Blue outsells Red)
Pokemon Yellow: 8.86 Million
Pokemon Gold/Silver: 15.2 Million (Silver outsells Gold)
Pokemon Crystal: 3.5 Million
Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire: 13 Million
Pokemon Emerald: 6.32 Million
Pokemon FireRed/LeafGreen: 11.82 Million
Pokemon Diamond/Pearl: 17.39 Million
Pokemon Platinum: 7.06 Million
Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver: 11.72 Million
Forkball said:
Forkball said:
Forkball said:
(Blue outsells Red)
How can this be.. Red has Charizard on it!

Izayoi

Banned
I'm pretty sure those Pokemon numbers are way off, by the way. I remember Nintendo releasing a statement back in 2003 that said they had sold around 13 million copies of Ruby and Sapphire.

There's no way, what with the legs that the series has, that it sold no more copies after that year.

So... in one day Nintendo earned more money than any single App Store developer, right?

This is why Nintendo doesn't have to worry. Nintendo has huge franchises, and those franchises are going to be playable only on Nintendo systems.

DonMigs85 said:
Now I wonder if they'll still use sprites for the next game on 3DS, or actual polygon models? That will be the biggest upgrade yet for the main series. They can probably recycle the Gen 1-4 models from Battle Revolution or something.
GF didn't make the consoles games, I'm guessing they would just outsource the Pokemon animations and models to another company. Who ever made the new anime Opener would be great, they all look just like the art http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieKb00z1z7E (Please excuse the music and editing, the org JPN one is longer and clearer ... its just not on youtube for some reason.)

Deku

Banned
Lonely1 said:
But I thought that Angry Birds killed Nintendo handhelds.

To be fair to the argument you are mocking, they almost always end in a backhanded pat about the company's timeless franchises still holding their own.

Well deserved. I'm loving this game, the best part is I don't have to see a single old Pokemon until the game finishes, makes it all feel fresh.

Bentendo

NEO0MJ said:
What you says is very true, if it wasn't Mario should be through.

After all didn't the original Mario bros. on Nes sell 42 million or so?

Edit: By comparison New Super Mario Bros only sold 22 million, a 50% drop in sales!

Super Mario Bros. came packed in with every system. You can't EVER use the original SMB as an example because it's impossible to know how much it would have sold if you had to purchase it separately. A better example to use would be SMB3, and NSMB sold four million more copies.

DonMigs85 said:
Now I wonder if they'll still use sprites for the next game on 3DS, or actual polygon models? That will be the biggest upgrade yet for the main series. They can probably recycle the Gen 1-4 models from Battle Revolution or something.

Hi-res sprites please

DonMigs85

Black-Wind said:
GF didn't make the consoles games, I'm guessing they would just outsource the Pokemon animations and models to another company. Who ever made the new anime Opener would be great, they all look just like the art http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieKb00z1z7E (Please excuse the music and editing, the org JPN one is longer and clearer ... its just not on youtube for some reason.)
That's actually a really cute opening... I still hate the subtle Ash redesign though.

Vinci

Danish
Deku said:
To be fair to the argument you are mocking, they almost always end in a backhanded pat about the company's timeless franchises still holding their own.

Nintendo. Land of exceptions.

Sadist said:
But but but but but

It's freaking Charizard

izRfS.jpg

Balb

Sadist said:
But but but but but

It's freaking Charizard

If blue indeed outsold red I would assume a lot of that came from Japan, since blue was an improvement over red and green over there.

Kusagari

Balb said:
If blue indeed outsold red I would assume a lot of that came from Japan, since blue was an improvement over red and green over there.

Blue outsold it in America too though I think the split was the closest of any gen.

Fernando Rocker said:
All right!

It's just that some people are affected by the cycle now...

http://i.imgur.com/zz9Sh.png

Gamecube printed money?

DonMigs85 said:

I hope they use models like they have in Battle Revolution (with announcer), thats how I always envisioned the series to move on to for battles. Though I guess it wont be until 2014 until the next Pokemon comes out. (assuming Dec 21,2012 doesnt come to fruition)

Izayoi

Banned
Dedication Through Light said:
I hope they use models like they have in Battle Revolution (with announcer), thats how I always envisioned the series to move on to for battles. Though I guess it wont be until 2014 until the next Pokemon comes out. (assuming Dec 21,2012 doesnt come to fruition)
2012 for Grey, 2013 for Ruby/Sapphire remakes, 2014 for Gen VI.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Zee-Row said:
Remember when Pokemon was a fad in 1998?
One of my friends still tries to emphasize that it's a fad. I don't know who he's trying to fool! XD

Well, that somewhat explains why it was so hard for me to find a copy of Pokemon White in Canada...

Dedication Through Light said:
Gamecube printed money?
Not as much as the Wii/ DS but yeah I guess.

I'm guessing they're gonna make the 5th gen short, they always have the new gen games out with in 2 years of the new handheld. 2013 I say!

Top Bottom