• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon White/Black sell 1.08 million on day 1. New Pokemon record

joelseph

I would wager that the major pokemon demographic is 20-30 year olds and that is why we will continue to see a upswing in future generation releases.

MisterHero

Gravijah said:
bad news...
Just like Staryu's Spinning attack and Squirtle's Shell attack and Mewtwo's dark hadoukens, destroying the gym's sprinkler system will become a legitimate move!

Just you wait and see!

You'll all see!

MisterHero

Izayoi said:
God the Advance Generation anime was so fucking terrible.

There's no excuse for shit like that.
No I'm pretty sure that was Ash inventing the Static ability from out of no where, and making it transferable to another Pokemon without breeding

what a badass trainer

Izayoi said:
2012 for Grey, 2013 for Ruby/Sapphire remakes, 2014 for Gen VI.

Is Gray (Coquelicot, surely they would be more creative than Gray) even confirmed, I thought a rumor said no third version is coming? I think the "low" sales of Ruby/Sapphire stands as a testament to why we do not need those remade (actually I loved the hoodies of those in Team Magma, my favorite aspect of the games, and Groudon). The game just didnt click with me and I think lots others. I think Gen VI will be the one to take the longest to come out, if they are going full on out with the 3D pokemon models, with moving animations, and such.

Gravijah

Dedication Through Light said:
Is Gray (Coquelicot, surely they would be more creative than Gray) even confirmed, I thought a rumor said no third version is coming?

Please don't ask silly questions.

evangd007

joelseph said:
I would wager that the major pokemon demographic is 20-30 year olds and that is why we will continue to see a upswing in future generation releases.

The major demographics are 6-12 and 18-25. You love as a kid, hate it as an adolescent, and realize that you were dumb for hating because it's still awesome in college.

Izayoi

Banned
Is Gray (Coquelicot, surely they would be more creative than Gray) even confirmed, I thought a rumor said no third version is coming? I think the "low" sales of Ruby/Sapphire stands as a testament to why we do not need those remade (actually I loved the hoodies of those in Team Magma, my favorite aspect of the games, and Groudon). The game just didnt click with me and I think lots others. I think Gen VI will be the one to take the longest to come out, if they are going full on out with the 3D pokemon models, with moving animations, and such.
Are you actually wondering whether or not a third version will be released?

Also, if anything, the lower sales of Ruby and Sapphire are just more reason to get them remade, especially if they do it with a new 3DS engine.

It being my favorite Generation before V I can't wait.

Theres actually been a fairly intense debate about this on the last 2 pages of the Reggie thread, you should check out both sides. Its an interesting topic.

Izayoi said:
Are you actually wondering whether or not a third version will be released?

Also, if anything, the lower sales of Ruby and Sapphire are just more reason to get them remade, especially if they do it with a new 3DS engine.

It being my favorite Generation before V I can't wait.

Well more of anything, just how they would do it, release it only for 3DS? only for DS? or like Mystery Dungeon 1 (GBA, DS), release it for both systems (DS and 3DS?), or none at all?

Gravijah

Well more of anything, just how they would do it, release it only for 3DS? only for DS? or like Mystery Dungeon 1 (GBA, DS), release it for both systems (DS and 3DS?), or none at all?

Like Crystal, it will likely be 3DS only.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
None at all is not an option.

jman2050

They'll make the third version because they can.

Simple as that.

Hylian7

jman2050 said:
It's too bad Nintendo's handheld business is swiftly dying in abrupt fashion, I was looking forward to seeing what Gen 6 brings us.
You are joking, right?

These numbers don't surprise me, good for them. Black and White really change a lot of the game too, you might not think so at first glance but it does. Just the fact that TMs don't break is a huge deal.

That's right guys.

Not only have I imported Black and White from America (for a very pedantic reason), I have two.. that's right.. TWO. Nintendo DSi Pokémon Black special editions on their way to me.

Poké FUCK YEAH.

jman2050

Gravijah said:
Any Pokemon game that actively stops you from making a Raichu is a bad Pokemon game.

Raichu sucks, I'm gonna try and use the secret codes to get myself a Pikablu

Ah the naivety of childhood...

Hylian7

jman2050 said:
Of course not! I say something so brazenly inaccurate and totally inconsistent with my posting history because I'm a gigantic dolt, obviously.
Internet sarcasm is difficult to tell sometimes, that was why I asked.

MisterHero said:
You're just mad you didn't get Pokemon Yellow and all the starters

and fight Jesse and James

Getting all the starters and adding battles against useless prats? Pokemon Yellowbelly Version, more like. Real men get one starter and they like it

Vinci

Danish
Hylian7 said:
Internet sarcasm is difficult to tell sometimes, that was why I asked.

Generally speaking, you're not going to see a lot of [opinion] supporters in a thread that quantitatively contradicts [opinion].

Okay, so yeah, that's not true. I agree, sarcasm is a bitch to spot sometimes.

Vanille

I think Gen VI will be the one to take the longest to come out, if they are going full on out with the 3D pokemon models, with moving animations, and such.

Yeah... not going to happen. Game Freak never "go full on out", gen 6 will still be using sprites.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Gnargh, I have White but I haven't even opened it yet... Got myself a back catalogue of games to finish first. Zekrom is right over on the chair to the right of me glaring at me playing Darksiders and Layton 3 instead of capturing Pokeymans.

Hang on, lemme turn the box over.

...okay, that's better.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
1179096996346.gif

NEO0MJ said:
Awesome black dragon is much more awesome that weird fox with an exposed penis.

Totally this, that's the reason I bought White. Think it outsold Black by 13,000 in the UK.

I've always had a soft spot for Pokemon, played every generation and enjoyed them all.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

It's true that "Grey" is not confirmed in any way but it's a pretty safe assumption. Every generation has had a 3rd version, there's no reason to think this one will not.

The only real question is if it's DS or 3DS. Playing through Black, the camera angles and areas almost seemed to have been designed for 3D, so a #DS release would not surprise me.

MrPliskin

Banned
Awesome for the franchise and the industry :) It's good to see this is still going strong, hopefully I can pick it up soon.

Vanille said:
Yeah... not going to happen. Game Freak never "go full on out", gen 6 will still be using sprites.
Its actually a lot easier to make and animate 3D models.

Its just NEVER been an option because of how powerful Nintendo Handhelds have been up til now. Any Nintendo handheld before 3DS would result in sinfully bad graphics if they tried to make a model replace the sprites.

They can just outsource the models/ rigs and animations to a studio (like how I assume they did with the new opener. I'm guessing the company that does the anime doesn't also do much 3D character animation) and update/ change the animations when they do remakes and new gen games until the next gen after the 3DS comes out.

Black-Wind said:
Its actually a lot easier to make and animate 3D models.

Its just NEVER been an option because of how powerful Nintendo Handhelds have been up til now. Any Nintendo handheld before 3DS would result in sinfully bad graphics if they tried to make a model replace the sprites.

They can just outsource the models/ rigs and animations to a studio (like how I assume they did with the new opener. I'm guessing the company that does the anime doesn't also do much 3D character animation) and update/ change the animations when they do remakes and new gen games until the next gen after the 3DS comes out.

How'd you work that out?

Zzoram

Pokemon has been on decline or something, I guess Ive been under the wrong impression that each one sells better than the previous...

It's not on the decline. HG/SS are remakes of G/S so they obviously sold less than the originals. Comparing Ruby/Sapphire and Diamond/Pearl is the proper comparison since they are actually new games and separate generations, and D/P sold better.

Zzoram

Black-Wind said:
That would be a bad idea if its just "3DS enhanced". :/

Naw, Grey will be where they make the 3DS engine so they can experiment more with gameplay in the next set of games.

Joe Shlabotnik said:
The only brand-new generation releases are:

Red/Silver: 23.6

Gold/Silver: 15.2

Ruby/Silver: 13

Diamond/Silver: 17.39

Black/Silver: 1.08

Tough to beat the phenomenon that started it all; other than that the franchise looks endlessly popular.

How many fucking Silvers are there? Jesus fucking Christ.

Top Bottom