• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon White/Black sell 1.08 million on day 1. New Pokemon record

Zzoram

White is probably selling better because it has a nicer box. If it was just a plain white or plain black box, Black would win because black is cooler than white.

I'm happy. Pokemon B/W is amazing, because by introducing several subtle changes, the game feels new and crazy, more so than Gen 3 and 4, IMO.
DrForester said:
1179096996346.gif
There's something scary about that guy on the right...

Kusagari

Zzoram said:
White is probably selling better because it has a nicer box. If it was just a plain white or plain black box, Black would win because black is cooler than white.

Zekrom looks a thousand times cooler than Reshiram that's why. Everyone I knew was buying Black until Zekrom was put in White and then they all switched.

The cooler Pokemon case always sells more. Lugia > Ho-Oh, Groudon > Kyogre, and Dialga > Palkia.

Dabookerman said:
How'd you work that out?

Little Green Yoda said:
The reason 2D fighters became "2.5D" is because quality sprite work is more time-consuming (hence more expensive) than 3D models, right?
Pretty much, plus Masuda actually said this as well.

Thats why we have NSMB thats 2D Mario Gameplay with 3D models.
Thats why we have DKCR, SF4-MVC3 with the same.
And thats also why Wario Shake needed the Animation Company "Production I.G" to make all the animations for it, it worked out great but thats why. They simply didn't have the ability to do that themselves.

You think that they can shit out lil shit like Pokemon BR or spin off Wii games like Pikachu Pokey Park that use full 3D models and animations if it cost a crap ton more then reg games and sell a crap ton less?

They could get Creatures or Nintendo or a animation company to do them like with this opener.

Zzoram said:
Naw, Grey will be where they make the 3DS engine so they can experiment more with gameplay in the next set of games.
If they make a Pokemon Grey for 3DS its gonna have to be more then "3DS enhanced" to be worth the time. I don't know how many Pokemon fans are willing to throw down $250 to buy the "better version" with 3D.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
The increase over D/P surprises me if only cause theres 5 other *real* PKMN games on the DS. But it is a new generation and all so I'm not super surprised! R/S remakes should be the first of PKMN on 3DS cause if Emerald & Platinum taught us anything its that the 3rd version should always come last in order ta be the best of the best.

Busaiku

Black-Wind said:
And thats also why Wario Shake needed the Animation Company "Production I.G" to make all the animations for it, it worked out great but thats why. They simply didn't have the ability to do that themselves.
I'm pretty sure Production IG was only used for the FMVs, not the actual gameplay.

MisterHero

Black-Wind said:
Thats why we have NSMB thats 2D Mario Gameplay with 3D models.
Actually the Mario series is a different case, because the Models are supposed to be the look that Nintendo wants people to identify with the brand. Of course it won't stop from alternative appearance (Mario is cel-shaded, pre-rendered 3D in Mario vs. Donkey Kong, and Mario Party DS had cel-shaded 3D cutscenes).

But yes 2D requires specialized work and there are legitimate technical reasons for choosing between 2D and 3D.

Trike

Yeah~! At least four of those copies were because of me. Two to play, and two for collecting purposes. For some reason this doesn't really surprise me, I just thought this one was going to do well. I wonder how many of those came from Toys R Us because of their buy one get one half off thing.

Also I only bought one to play, the other three were for people who will pay me back. I am not that weird.

Azure J

MisterHero said:
The superior counterpart of every Generation is nicknamed Silver

because Silver destroys Gold with Aeroblast
Only exception to this is Red version. Fuck yeah harder battles for more experience and Growlithe/Arcanine. :lol

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Turn based RPGs 4 life

Pixely looks throws be off a bit tho because it's not consistent, otherwise a worthy sequel!

MechaX

Kusagari said:
Zekrom looks a thousand times cooler than Reshiram that's why. Everyone I knew was buying Black until Zekrom was put in White and then they all switched.

Too offer some anecdotal evidence, that's precisely the reason why most of the people I know switched boats. They thought that Zekrom would be representing Black and switched when they found out it would actually be opposite. Things like White getting that vulture pokemon only sweetened the deal.

I still got Black because Reshiram doesn't really look that bad. At the very least, it's not like Dialga v. Palkia where there was a clear gap in quality between the designs.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
MechaX said:
Too offer some anecdotal evidence, that's precisely the reason why most of the people I know switched boats. They thought that Zekrom would be representing Black and switched when they found out it would actually be opposite. Things like White getting that vulture pokemon only sweetened the deal.

I still got Black because Reshiram doesn't really look that bad. At the very least, it's not like Dialga v. Palkia where there was a clear gap in quality between the designs.
Are you talking about Vullaby/Mandibuzz? Serebii lists those as black exclusive.

MechaX said:

The Vulture Pokemon is exclusive to Black--White gets the Eagle Pokemon.

Lindsay said:
The increase over D/P surprises me if only cause theres 5 other *real* PKMN games on the DS. But it is a new generation and all so I'm not super surprised! R/S remakes should be the first of PKMN on 3DS cause if Emerald & Platinum taught us anything its that the 3rd version should always come last in order ta be the best of the best.
Platinum came out before HG/SS?

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
MechaX said:
Speak for yourself buddy, I think Palkia is way more awesome and less awkward-looking than Dialga.

Josh7289

1/300 of the population bought this game.

Edit: Also, since there was some talk about a Pokemon Gray, I'm starting to think that a third version of this generation may not be released. BW were just released at the end of the DS' lifecycle, so if they made a third version, would they do it on DS or on 3DS? Nintendo would probably rather push the 3DS going forward, so I can't really see it on DS. And if they made it for 3DS that might add some compatibility issues with the older DS versions... It might be better to just start a new generation when they eventually release a 3DS version of the series.

Also, Black and White have more differences between each other than previous generations' initial versions did. The black/white dichotomy works too well to just throw a Gray in there and mess it up, too. I guess it's possible but I just kind of doubt we're going to see one.

Top Bottom