• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 PS3 Demo Releasing Today

jonabbey

I played a bit of the PS3 multiplayer demo just now (wired, cable modem), and it was a lot of fun. Not the absolute best looking game I've seen on the PS3, maybe, but it didn't disappoint me. Lots of geometry, lots of color, nice artwork, lots of shooting, great sound.

It wasn't really on my radar before to pick this up, and I may still not, but it won't be because of the graphics.

Miggytronz

downloaded the DEMO on my PS3 when i got off work. So far i can see that this game needs polishing, how much i dunno. Frame rates are all over the place and the graphics arent that great. I can tell though that the gameplay would be spot on fun with polishing done but with the issues i just stated that its a step back in fun. It gets frustrating at times. Hopefully the final release will be what i expect it to be, if not i wont be a purchaser.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
FRAME RATE, FRAME RATE, FRAME RATE, seriously.

When are developers going to learn, how are you expected to play online at 20-24fps?, it's an absolute joke, it's always GFX>frame rate these days, it really is annoying.

Miggytronz

lowrider007 said:

When are developers going to learn, how are you expected to play online at 20-24fps?, it's an absolute joke, it's always GFX>frame rate these days, it really is annoying.

well the GFX so far dont blow me away. :(

Apex

McLovin said:
Textures a definitely worse. The only improvement I noticed on the ps3 is that in controls better. But I might be imagining it.
vsslot.gif

http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i392/mixbox3/Screenshots/3360.jpg
http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i392/mixbox3/Screenshots/3ps3.jpg

Apex said:
*gif action*
definately better shadows on the PS3 version. so there is at least one thing it does better on PS3.

look at the bricks at the bottom of the screen.

also, better texture filtering too.

JB1981

haven't been able to actually play the ps3 version but compared to the 360 it doesn't seem that bad. why are people freaking out about its quality?

Raistlin

~Kinggi~

Banned
scently said:
The 360 demo is an older build, the ps3 version is based on retail code.
Ah....that would be interesting if that explains it.

Curious now to see actual retail comparisons. See if that claim is bullshit.

Nizz

scently said:
So it's confirmed it's retail, huh? So the excuse of "the demo is an older build" would fall flat on its face.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
scently said:
Honestly, I doubt either one will change much in the final version.

It's just odd to see the PS3 demo running so slowly. There has been plenty of recent footage showing it running at a much smoother framerate both in single and multiplayer.

purple cobra said:
So it's confirmed it's retail, huh? So the excuse of "the demo is an older build" would fall flat on its face.

Yeah, that was the reason why it took so long. The 360 build's performance is still up in the air since it's merely the beta patched up, supposedly.

JB1981 said:
haven't been able to actually play the ps3 version but compared to the 360 it doesn't seem that bad. why are people freaking out about its quality?

We definitely got to see more pics because looking at the gif above would have me think counter to people freakout as the textures look damn near identical while the PS3 shot has more shadows and AF filtering the 360 shot doesn't.

Two versions don't looks too different from each other, but man, this game is not a looker in my opinion.

Hopefully the SP looks significantly better.

A.R.K

wtf ... can any one join the session? I have been trying for last 15 minutes and it just can't connect. I thought KZ3 net code was bad but this one beats it by miles as being the worst. I mean forget about all the graphical and tech let down but you can't even start a game??

what is this shit Crytek????? Go get some help from Sony and fix this shit!!

by the way I have a wired 10Mbps connection and PSN is connected.

Edit: Ok I quit...couldn't connect. Am I doing something wrong or is this demo the biggest piece of crap

ShaunBRS

lowrider007 said:
Of all the Modern Warfare games' design decisions I was hoping other developers would be significantly influenced by, it's a shame that this—ultimately one of the most important—is apparently at the bottom of the list.

ShaunBRS said:
Of all the Modern Warfare games' design decisions I was hoping other developers would be significantly influenced by, it's a shame that this—ultimately one of the most important—is apparently at the bottom of the list.
yup, i was just thinking about it. i mean it's one of the main reasons COD is popular: smooth 40-60fps gameplay.

copy that, other devs. please. no one cares if your shooter has better lighting or textures if it runs at 1/3 of the framerate..

Looking at that comparison gif makes me cringe knowing people don't experiment with the PS3's display settings... particularly the RGB Full Range setting. Should be set to full and you won't have that washed out look.

Hmm... the brick pattern completely disappears from the right wall in the background on the 360 frame.

MoonsaultSlayer said:
Looking at that comparison gif makes me cringe knowing people don't experiment with the PS3's display settings... particularly the RGB Full Range setting. Should be set to full and you won't have that washed out look.

Only do this if your tv set has support for full range otherwise it will crush your black detail. Calibrating your tv sets for the PS3/360 is a must. In regards to the 360 it has a borked gamma setting while PS3 uses a standard gamma setting which can cause black crush in the 360. Some devs account for the different gamma settings but don't adjust it properly during a port and the PS3 edition comes off as more "washed out" and ironically turning on "full range" makes it more like the 360 edition. Still don't recommend over a proper tv setting adjustment though.

X-Frame

This is a shame, but expected.

So I will patiently wait until after release to see if this is worth my money. Realistically though, if I was to get this game at all, it would be on the 360.

MoonsaultSlayer said:

Hmm... the brick pattern completely disappears from the right wall in the background on the 360 frame.

i always read very mixed opinions on this. from what i read on television forums they seem to say that having full RGB will crush blacks and that it should be set to limited.

KingOfKong said:
i always read very mixed opinions on this. from what i read on television forums they seem to say that having full RGB will crush blacks and that it should be set to limited.

You can see the black levels already crushing details in the comparison gif in the 360 shot.

heyf00L

MoonsaultSlayer said:

Yeah, looks like the 360 is using trilinear filtering rather than anisotropic filtering.
The wikipedia article gives a good example:
Anisotropic_compare.png

Truespeed

First of all, I've canceled my engine order.

Anyway, here's the PS3 / 360 version comparison with some contrast applied to the PS3 version. What's interesting is how much detail pops out when the contrast is adjusted. The PS3 version actually looks more detailed than the 360 version in certain areas. Also, notice that the PS3 version has a wall with a brick texture up ahead while the 360 version doesn't.

jb7ds3.gif

jonabbey said:
I played a bit of the PS3 multiplayer demo just now (wired, cable modem), and it was a lot of fun. Not the absolute best looking game I've seen on the PS3, maybe, but it didn't disappoint me. Lots of geometry, lots of color, nice artwork, lots of shooting, great sound.

This is exactly what I came here to post

ToD_

MoonsaultSlayer said:

Many TVs don't support the RGB full range setting, which results in crushed blacks and whites. Sure it looks like it pops, but you lose a lot of detail. It's hard to recommend that setting without knowing how the TV handles it. Actually, if the TV supports RGB Full it will look roughly similar in both modes.

It's mostly for users connecting the PS3 to monitors (where limited will look washed out).

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Truespeed said:

Anyway, here's the PS3 / 360 version comparison with some contrast applied to the PS3 version. What's interesting is how much detail pops out when the contrast is adjusted. The PS3 version actually looks more detailed than the 360 version in certain areas. Also, notice that the PS3 version has a wall with a brick texture up ahead while the 360 version doesn't.

[I/MG]http://i55.tinypic.com/jb7ds3.gif[/IMG]

animated pngs would be better

cgcg

Truespeed said:

jb7ds3.gif

Yes most of the times crushing black gives off more details/sharper look while in stills but you really don't want that look while playing. It's headache inducing.

-PXG-

MoonsaultSlayer said:

This. A lot of people make this mistake. I did at one point.

Jtrizzy

HomerSimpson-Man said:
Only do this if your tv set has support for full range otherwise it will crush your black detail. Calibrating your tv sets for the PS3/360 is a must. In regards to the 360 it has a borked gamma setting while PS3 uses a standard gamma setting which can cause black crush in the 360. Some devs account for the different gamma settings but don't adjust it properly during a port and the PS3 edition comes off as more "washed out" and ironically turning on "full range" makes it more like the 360 edition. Still don't recommend over a proper tv setting adjustment though.
I've always read limited too, but I have a top of the line panasonic plasma...I don't know how to tell if it supports that, but I'd assume it would.

Jtrizzy said:
I've always read limited too, but I have a top of the line panasonic plasma...I don't know how to tell if it supports that, but I'd assume it would.

It mostly likely won't. And to be honest, it's not like it's needed if you have a Panasonic plasma. You already have far more ideal black levels and contrast than a LCD panel and the full range was made for PC monitors that supported it more than anything so that wouldn't look washed out to begin with.

I have a Pioneer Plasma and it doesn't use the full range settings. It would just needly crush black details.

keuja

How About No said:
Those poor stones are in dire need of tesselation :(

Or at least a decent normal map. SOMEthing.

wow it looks bad, like someone stuck a wallpaper on the flat ground.
And from the pics, it seems there is no AF at all on the Xbox version...

Massa

Only played a couple of rounds but I was surprised at how fun this game is. Looks pretty good (needed to tone down the brightness though) but most importantly the controls feel great.

The UI is awful and the game is quite laggy, but I'm definitely interested in the SP now.

sleepykyo

CrunchyFrog said:
is there noone playing this? been looking for players for like 20 minutes

Already deleted it. Which isn't a condemnation of it.

After I spent a little more time with it, the weird resolution and other stuff didn't irritate me as much as I got more into game. It seems like a fun enough game, just needed a slightly better frame rate and perhaps an option to turn off some of those effects.

Yeah, yeah, consoles and options, but plenty of games with that grainy/film filter had the option to turn it off.

Jtrizzy

HomerSimpson-Man said:
It mostly likely won't. And to be honest, it's not like it's needed if you have a Panasonic plasma. You already have far more ideal black levels and contrast than a LCD panel and the full range was made for PC monitors that supported it more than anything so that wouldn't look washed out to begin with.

I have a Pioneer Plasma and it doesn't use the full range settings. It would just needly crush black details.
I'll turn that off then and maybe bump the contrast. People also say to turn the sharpness to zero any thoughts?

What about the other settings? Cross color reduction filter, y/pb/cb pr/cr super white, or deep color output.

now i keep getting a network connection lost error. Problem definitely not on my end, wired connection, web browses and does psn store fine... sounds like it's a bit more trouble than it's worth

Nizz

Well, good news is I was finally able to play tonight. I thought as far as looks the game looks nice. Nice lighting, especially on Pier 17 when I jump in the water and see light shining through. The bad news is if it's indeed final code then Crytek should be ashamed :( I swear the game felt like it ran at a constant 20-25 fps. Horrible. It really affected the responsiveness of the game. The controls themselves felt fine after tweaking sensitivity, but in encounters with other players with the choppy framerate was bad.

Had the game been running at a constant 30fps I'd definitely be picking it up. But as of right now the framerate's too rough. A shame too, because I kind of dug the gameplay with the suit powers. Like lowrider007 said, gotta nail that framerate down.

CozMick

Banned
Going from these improved screenshots, the PS3 is the better looking.

So......what the fuck has gaf been smoking these last 3-4 pages?

Performance is better on 360, but I dont see the problem here.

Plus the better LOD on th PS3 makes a huge difference, shit isn't just popping up in your face like it does on 360

Top Bottom