• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think Crysis 3 was the first true 8th gen graphics?

GG6Erh1W4AAsDkV

fatmarco

Didn't Crysis 3 introduce light probe based realtime global illumination?

This is a good example of them discussing the use of a combination of Screen Space Reflections and Cube Maps (10 minute mark), which was obviously the standard for real time reflections that was established that generation after Crysis 3 was released (also a great video to learn how to deconstruct graphics technology and learn terminology lol):

So yes I'd agree it was the first legitimate example of 8th Generation tech (there's a few things Crysis 3 that basically no games do as well, like real time water caustics which still looks awesome). Again, important to note, this is all pre-PS4/Xbox One, on a game that was built with the Xbox 360 and PS3 in mind, with a smaller development studio of apparently just around 100 people and a budget of 66 million.

Last edited:

HighPoly

Banned

This is a good example of them discussing the use of a combination of Screen Space Reflections and Cube Maps (10 minute mark), which was obviously the standard for real time reflections that was established that generation after Crysis 3 was released (also a great video to learn how to deconstruct graphics technology and learn terminology lol):

So yes I'd agree it was the first legitimate example of 8th Generation tech (there's a few things Crysis 3 that basically no games do as well, like real time water caustics which still looks awesome). Again, important to note, this is all pre-PS4/Xbox One, on a game that was built with the Xbox 360 and PS3 in mind, with a smaller development studio of apparently just around 100 people and a budget of 66 million.

Yeah, it seems like games today makes better geometry, animations and the scale is huge!
I mean, all those elements but with larger scenarios!

Like, Uncharted 4 and Lost Legacy, they did better geometry and animations since Crysis 3, but with LARGER worlds!

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Honestly, I always thought so. It took until like 2016 for games to come out that definitely looked better. Otherwise, the maxed out PC version blew everything out the water in 2013 and was in contention for best looking game for a number of years.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Whoa. I didn’t know the Crysis games were on Game Pass. I’m definitely gonna dive into them next weekend. Those games were so awesome.

HL3.exe

Aren't we done with graphics? We plateaued for the last 10 years. Yes, visuals look slightly better with ray tracing etc, but I wish the focus would shift to animation, physics, simulation leaps, instead of just mOaR gRaPhiCs.

SimTourist

It looks pretty good, but even Killzone Shadow Fall at PS4 launch was already a good step ahead visually. Crysis 3 was still held back by 256 megs of RAM baseline.

winjer

Gold Member
It looked very impressive, especially on PC.
But the campaign was short, only about half of it was worth it. The story was crap.
And the multiplayer was fun for a while, but nothing special.
I bought it at launch and was disappointed with it.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Graphically, yeah, I'd say Crysis 3 on PC max was the start. I remember it well, given I had just built a shiny new rig with a GTX 690, i7-3970X, and 32G of RAM. Even that beast would cook a bit during a normal session of the game. Was quite a sight though.

Metro: Last Light was another! Same year too!

Vick

And The Order 1886 which despite criticism of the black bars the game looked like CGI.
Yeah, that was the game for me. Until RDR2 it also sported the best PBR, more impressive than the also superb Assassin's Creed Unity implementation imo.

I vividly remember discussions around that reveal Trailer in 2013 when nobody, me included, thought it could possibly be a real game just because of how alien that rendering appeared compared to realtime graphics of the time.

Gaiff

Clearly you care, since you needed to remind folks that it "looks nowhere near as good" as a game he made no comparisons to.
Huh, yes he did.

I said no game definitively surpassed Crysis 3 until 2016. A poster replied that Arkham Knight came out in 2015 with the implication that it was on par or above Crysis 3. The other poster then threw in The Order 1886 among said games.

Last edited:

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Huh, yes he did.

I said no game definitively surpassed Crysis 3 until 2016. A poster replied that Arkham Knight came out in 2015 with the implication that it was on par or above Crysis 3. The other poster then threw in The Order 1886 among said games.
He said it looked CGI, which you must be admitting then that Crysis 3 did not. :)

In reality, even in 2013, there were games that were comparable. Battlefield 4, Killzone: Shadow Fall, Metro: Last Light, and Ryse: Son of Rome were also top contenders for visuals of that year. It's fine if you preferred Crysis 3, but it doesn't mean that no other games could compete. And that was 2013. The Order was two years later and was called the best looking game of that year by plenty who witnessed it.

Last edited:

Gaiff

He said it looked CGI, which you must be admitting then that Crysis 3 did not. :)
CG from what year? 1999? Sure lol.
In reality, even in 2013, there were games that were comparable. Battlefield 4, Killzone: Shadow Fall, Metro: Last Light, and Ryse: Son of Rome were also top contenders for visuals of that year. It's fine if you preferred Crysis 3, but it doesn't mean that no other games could compete. And that was 2013. The Order was two years later and was called the best looking game of that year by plenty who witnessed it.
I’m sure The Order 1886 looked great. I just couldn’t see it behind all those layers of post-processing. Battlefield 4? Killzone Shadow Fall? You best be trolling.

Top Bottom