• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Trading Card Game Online |OT| Everything You've Ever Dreamed

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

A new Pokemon website launched in beta earlier today. It is a Flash-based website that allows you to play the popular (and once school-banningly mega-popular) Pokemon Trading Card Game online. It is in beta, and as such there are the following caveats: you can only play against NPCs, you can only play with a limited subset of the cards that will be available in the final version, and you can only play in the modified (stricter) ruleset. Also, logging in and actually playing the game are frought with technical issues at this point in time, so your mileage may vary.

Edit- I managed to log in. Believe the hype.

ryan-ts

I had never played the TCG before, just collected the cards as a kid. I can tell you right now, this shit is fun.

TheOGB

Banned
I only collected the cards, I never actually played with them.
Same with Yu-Gi-Oh and Digimon.
:V

I still have my little binder [not so] full of cards somewhere. And I'm still kinda mad at my friend for tricking me into trading my 3rd movie Entei card for a Totodile and a Spinarak. >:/

Salsa

VwdwX.gif
VwdwX.gif
VwdwX.gif
VwdwX.gif
VwdwX.gif

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Mush said:
Yugioh > Pokeymanz
TCG

I can't disagree with that.

But as for the official "online" versions, it wouldn't take much for this to kick the crap out of Yu-Gi-Oh Online.

SaintZ

I fucking loved the GBC version and I think I got all the cards there. I started collecting them IRL too but got tired of that quickly. I still have my Ancient Mew trading card from the Lugia movie though.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
mjc said:
Why they never made a sequel to the GBC game is mind-bending. This looks interesting though.

They did.

But it was only released in Japan.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Totakeke said:
What?! Details.

From what I understand it was just more of the same.

From Bulbapedia:

The game adds many new features not present in the original, such as new cards, the ability to play as a female character, a much larger in-game world, and a more developed story (rather than just collect cards and defeat the Grand Masters, the player must defeat Team Great Rocket).

Soma

This is pretty fun. Funny how I've been trying to sell my Pokemon Cards lately too.

Keeping an eye on this and curious to see how the Online goes when it officially releases which is apparently in the Fall.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
As a consolation, as far as I'm aware this website is English-only. So in a way it's vindication 10 years later for not getting the GB game sequel.

Emitan

Andrex said:
As a consolation, as far as I'm aware this website is English-only. So in a way it's vindication 10 years later for not getting the GB game sequel.
Take that Japan! How do you feel now? Oh, right. Earthquake. nevermind

.JayZii

Banned
I don't think I ever knew the rules to the card game. I'm pretty sure my friends and I just made it up as we went along.

Qwomo

.JayZii said:
I don't think I ever knew the rules to the card game. I'm pretty sure my friends and I just made it up as we went along.
Yeah. I just stuck my cards in a binder, I hated the game itself. Not Pokemonny enough.

Pau

Playing the card game as a kid was so much fun, so I'm pretty psyched for this. And yes, we need this on the 3DS.

ZeroGravity

Mush said:
Yugioh > Pokeymanz
TCG
No lol

I'm actually pretty psyched for this. I haven't played the TCG in years, even though I still have all my cards, because I don't really have anyone to play against. It'll nice to be able to give it another go, even if most of the newer cards are way too overpowered compared to the classic stuff.

zumphry

Banned
ryan-ts said:
I had never played the TCG before, just collected the cards as a kid. I can tell you right now, this shit is fun.

Same here. Gonna probably sign up later today.

I carry the ancient Mew card from the second movie in my wallet because I am a goddamned nerd. I think I have like 3 extra ones.

Izayoi

Banned
Fewr said:
Is there a final release date set yet?
Sometime in April. I would imagine it will coincide with the launch of the Black and White base set, which is coming out on the 25th.

survivor said:
I'm guessing deck customizations isn't in it? I have a lot of useless cards right now that I want to get rid of
Not until the full version.

Anyway, ended up winning this one.

vXxEU.png

Fuck yeah, Jigglypuff.

TaKeRx

Niiice. Me and my friends got hooked on it again last summer, until we realized it was pointless (after $200 spent or cards :( ) Will definitely try this out.

Izayoi

Banned
Fuck yeah, fate drew a Meganium on a last-ditch Copy-cat when I was up against a Feraligatr and Bayleef only had 10HP left, then proceeded to roll his entire bench.

So good.

Izayoi said:
Fuck yeah, Jigglypuff.
Jigglypuff ended up steamrolling me one game because I would snap out of sleep at the end of my turn, but not at the beginning.
Just like the GBC version, I guess. :(

survivor said:
I'm guessing deck customizations isn't in it? I have a lot of useless cards right now that I want to get rid of
Nope. And it's a pain in the ass too, since these Teddiursa are literally wasted slots. It wouldn't be that big of a deal if the reward cards didn't replace energy card slots!

Delio

Wigglytuff is freaking Boss in this game. Expand is such a tank move that if you have two Wigglytuff out you pretty much win <3

The old Pokemon TCG for the Gameboy Color was ace, imagine if they had a fully-fleshed out Pokemon RPG like Black & White but with TC battles instead, it'd be cool.

Not that it matters all that much, but I think one of the achievements is busted for me. I've gone through at least 20 games where the CPU didn't get a single prize card, but i still haven't gotten that one yet.

EDIT: I hope I'm not the only one that got excited when I saw that the Charmander art was redone to look like a new version of the classic.

Izayoi

Banned
Professor Beef said:
Nope. And it's a pain in the ass too, since these Teddiursa are literally wasted slots. It wouldn't be that big of a deal if the reward cards didn't replace energy card slots!
You get an Ursaring later. All of the useless filler chains get filled out by the time you get all of your unlocks for that particular deck.

Professor Beef said:
Not that it matters all that much, but I think one of the achievements is busted for me. I've gone through at least 20 games where the CPU didn't get a single prize card, but i still haven't gotten that one yet.

EDIT: I hope I'm not the only one that got excited when I saw that the Charmander art was redone to look like a new version of the classic.
Yeah, there have been several reprints of the original Base Set from years ago.

Achievements are busted for everyone. This is still a Beta, after all.

Chauncy Talon said:
I'm about to try this out for the first time. I have never played Pokemon Trading Card Game in my life.
It's very easy to learn and fast-paced.

Anth0ny said:
ffs we need a new TCG game on 3DS.
Well, Nintendo did file a patent, so...

Izayoi said:
You get an Ursaring later. All of the useless filler chains get filled out by the time you get all of your unlocks for that particular deck.

Yeah, there have been several reprints of the original Base Set from years ago.

Achievements are busted for everyone. This is still a Beta, after all.
I unlocked all the extras for the water deck already, so I know about Ursaring. It doesn't matter though, since I'd gladly throw all of them away for more Water Energy.

That's cool to know about the base set reprints. That art has stuck with me for so long. As for the achievements, I figured it was because of the beta, but it still kinda bugged me. Oh well.

Top Bottom