• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Trading Card Game Online |OT| Everything You've Ever Dreamed

Izayoi

Banned
Eteric Rice said:
That would be awesome.

I'm surprised Nintendo didn't turn this into a 3DS game. Kind of shocked, really.
You know, I have mentioned it about three times now, but Nintendo did patent the cardgame for the 3DS.

They're making it.

Like, as we speak.

Woffls

Anyone reckon the 3DS TCG could make it this year? I don't know how many teams GF have, but their work on Black & White would have stopped last year, wouldn't it? The bit between JP and EU/NA release would have been mostly translation, so the other lot will have had some time.

I can't even begin to imagine how sublime an Augmented Reality Pokémon Trading Card Game would be...

I just... I..

I LOVE YOU NINTENDO

Gravijah

Woffls said:
Anyone reckon the 3DS TCG could make it this year? I don't know how many teams GF have, but their work on Black & White would have stopped last year, wouldn't it? The bit between JP and EU/NA release would have been mostly translation, so the other lot will have had some time.

I can't even begin to imagine how sublime an Augmented Reality Pokémon Trading Card Game would be...

I just... I..

I LOVE YOU NINTENDO

The GBC card games seem to have been made by Hudson (RIP). In fact, I don't think Game Freak has made any of the spinoffs.

Izayoi

Banned
It's likely that the TCG for the 3DS is being made by Creatures, the people who do the real TCG and many of the spin-off games.

Izayoi

Banned
Gravijah said:
Aren't they working on a 3DS Pokemon game? Hm.
Rumor has it for the first time they're helping out Gamefreak on the main series game, but that's still just hearsay based off of job listings at this point.

N4Us

Been playing it the past hour or so. Was shaky with the system at first (after those hours dunked away on GBC) but I've gotten used to it now.

And holy crap, are some of the attacks powerful now. 50 damage for 3 energy with sleep bonus? Yikes.

Ellis Kim

Banned
...who is that in the Copycat card illustration? At first, I thought it was just a generic drawing of a motley crew of characters, but then I looked closer, and its actually just one character dressing up in various outfits.

But I have no idea who that is. The outfits themselves are derived from Gold/Silver, but I can't place that hairstyle, what with the hair band sticking hair out from the front-side. The Team Rocket skirt suggests this is a female character, but again, I have no idea who this is supposed to be.

Was there a known copy-cat character in G/S?

edit: lol, google.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Copycat_(character)

Ellis Kim

Banned
Augh, what am I doing! This is completely addicting and now its 5 in the morning. Its not even like you're getting "tokens" or "gems" in this beta to begin with :x

ryan-ts

Takes a lot of luck but a Ninetales using it's Heat Acceleration then bringing out Typholosion is pretty much unstoppable. Both times I've gotten it, Typholosion had over ten energies by the time Ninetales was knocked out.

This is completely awesome, I LOVE the Pokemon TCG!

Why they haven't done a sequel to the two GBC games I have no idea. Hell, why not do a 3DS one with online play and support for Augmented Reality with real Pokemon Cards?

zoukka

I also just remembered how fucking broken this game was originally :D Cards like Bill, Prof Oak and Computer Search lol. Coming from MTG those cards seemed so weird.

I guess nowadays they have a bunch of rules to restrict you from milling your entire deck in one turn. Is the competitive game anyway balanced now?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
This is new Pokemon, not Old/WotC Pokemon where you could break the game with a Mewtwo. Pass. :/

... *Quietly goes to play this and hopes no one will ever find out.* OH GOD THE AMOUNT OF LIFE I'VE LOST WHEN I PLAYED THIS.

Woffls

Ugh, can't beat Ella because it keeps crashing when I have to select a Pokémon to go into battle. Happened 3 times against her and like once before.

:O Do want.

You can play games to earn tokens to customize your avatar? This is going to be such a time sink. ;_; You can even dress up as the gym leaders!
1z19zjq.jpg

Edit: Silly me. >_> I was on the regular Pokemon site, which is still cool. You make a totally different avatar for the TCG.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
How awesome is this? :D Pokemon TCG is the only card game (aside from classic 52) that I've ever figured out how to play. I even had the Game Boy Colour game.

Going to watch this like a hawk, and maybe I should get around to learning to play Magic in Duels of the Planeswalkers...

Izayoi said:
You know, I have mentioned it about three times now, but Nintendo did patent the cardgame for the 3DS.

They're making it.

Like, as we speak.
Pardon me, but I'm out of the loop. A new TCG for the 3DS? Makes me think of Eye of Judgement.

Andrex said:

A new Pokemon website launched in beta earlier today. It is a Flash-based website that allows you to play the popular (and once school-banningly mega-popular) Pokemon Trading Card Game online. It is in beta, and as such there are the following caveats: you can only play against NPCs, you can only play with a limited subset of the cards that will be available in the final version, and you can only play in the modified (stricter) ruleset. Also, logging in and actually playing the game are frought with technical issues at this point in time, so your mileage may vary.

This post will be updated when I actually manage to login.
At least it's web based and doesn't require duelpoints to duel, unlike yugioh online. Can't wait to try it out :)

The 3DS TCG game will be bonkers. Hopefully it's Unova-Pokemon only, the card game seems super convoluted at this point.

Registering for this now :D

Andrefpvs

Damn, was I crazy about this in my old days. Too bad all my cards became near-unusable when TPCi took the game from Wizards of the Coast...

Still, I had a Charizard, bitch! And I won a "Draw a card" contest at the World Championship qualifiers, though they couldn't use it because it was for a made-up Pokémon ;_;

Eteric Rice

ninj4junpei said:
The fire deck is kind of broken. I'm about to fight Grayson.

Water deck is pretty badass too, Vaporion is amazing at just killing off things. And fucking Feraligator is HOLY SHIT at slowly wiping out EVERYTHING.

Eteric Rice said:
Water deck is pretty badass too, Vaporion is amazing at just killing off things. And fucking Feraligator is HOLY SHIT at slowly wiping out EVERYTHING.
Ninetails (100% burn? Fuck yeah.) is so good, as is Embrion.

Kendall almost had me. D: Thank you based Embrion. ;_;

DMG-01

Eteric Rice said:
Yeah, but the Grass deck has loads of sleepers and life draining pokemon.

zoukka said:
I also just remembered how fucking broken this game was originally :D Cards like Bill, Prof Oak and Computer Search lol. Coming from MTG those cards seemed so weird.

I guess nowadays they have a bunch of rules to restrict you from milling your entire deck in one turn. Is the competitive game anyway balanced now?
Indeed there have been some tweaks, like 2 type of Trainer/Supporter cards, the normal ones and the supporter type. You can only use supporter once per turn (Bill, etc), normal is normal.

Woffls

Soooo I've been playing this for 8 hours. Umm, it's kinda good. Not perfectly balanced, and there's some bugs, but good lord is it addictive. I just, I can't think of a single good reason why I should stop playing. I was going to play New Vegas today, but this is just way more fun than wandering around a wasteland looking for coca cola.

ninj4junpei said:
I guess it's in beta for a reason. I'm stuck in an apparently infinite wait during my match with Tyson. :\
This has happened to me several times. I had no choice but to reload. :(

So far ive beat the gold cup with the water deck, was working my way through the platinum cup on the grass deck and it froze.

Deck builder will be sick. However, it would be MUCH better if this online game had, well online capabilities.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Izayoi said:

They're making it.

Like, as we speak.

That doesn't prove anything, actually.

Gravijah

"Hey, let's gauge the popularity of TCG with a flash based version of it."

"Wow, it's really popular! I think people are getting addicted."

"... Now, let's charge for it!"

Eteric Rice

Gravijah said:
"Hey, let's gauge the popularity of TCG with a flash based version of it."

"Wow, it's really popular! I think people are getting addicted."

"... Now, let's charge for it!"

This could possibly happen.

Totakeke

Well, it's a high possibility that the reason we never saw more pokemon tcg video games was because they're afraid it might eat into their actual tcg profits.

Babalu.

wow i loved loved loved the gameboy version. collected some cards but was never nerdy enough to actually play it. only bought and sold for money.

i want absolutely nothing to do with the 3DS, or anything pokemon after the original 151, but I would buy a fucking 3ds the second they announced this for it.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
As a bonus, the accounts you create for this (Pokemon Trainer Club) will also be what's used for the Pokemon Global Link when it goes live (whenever that will be...)

Gravijah

Andrex said:
As a bonus, the accounts you create for this (Pokemon Trainer Club) will also be what's used when the Pokemon Global Link goes live (whenever that will be...)

I dunno, but I think it's down in Japan too, FWIW.

Eteric Rice said:
When this goes out of beta, will we get to keep our tokens?

When do they suspect that it'll be ready?

Speaking of which, is keeps saying i'm earning tokens. However at the top right as I play is says I have 0 tokens. :(

Top Bottom