• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Trading Card Game Online |OT| Everything You've Ever Dreamed

ismaboof said:
For $4.99 I bet we will

They have to do this, because otherwise, they are completely undermining the value of the physical cards. The only alternative is to release new sets/decks for free some arbitrary number of months/new releases after their physical release.

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
Green Scar said:
They have to do this, because otherwise, they are completely undermining the value of the physical cards. The only alternative is to release new sets/decks for free some arbitrary number of months/new releases after their physical release.

Not neccisarily since tournaments give out actual scholarships and all the people playing aren't really playing for the reason we are (i.e. . . . because of FUN). I'm not disagreeing completely, I'm just saying there's a lot more to keep the physical cards and official sanctioned tournaments alive if they push this and make a 3ds game too.

Izayoi

Banned
Green Scar said:
Not really. I will buy physical cards no matter what because I'm a collector.

ismaboof said:
What?

They were like $10 when I was a kid!
You were getting ripped. I only payed three bucks per pack when they first started coming out.

Eteric Rice said:
I just hope we get booster packs and stuff. Getting one card per win is a little lame.

Depends. Providing they don't make us pay for booster packs (which they might not due to the target demographic), it'll be based of a point system, points obviously coming from your wins. It would need to be less than 10 wins worth of points (10 cards in a booster, right?) to unlock cards at a faster rate than 1 card per win. However, one card per win usually follows a set pattern of cards to unlock which sucks.

Edit: on the note for paying for booster packs, the difference from physical cards and online cards is payment methods. It isn't always easy at 12 years old to ask your parents to buy fake cards online, but it's easier to buy physicals cards IRL. Not to mention physical cards still have more value due to collectibles/trading/tournaments.

Izayoi

Banned
Soru said:
Depends. Providing they don't make us pay for booster packs (which they might not due to the target demographic), it'll be based of a point system, points obviously coming from your wins. It would need to be less than 10 wins worth of points (10 cards in a booster, right?) to unlock cards at a faster rate than 1 card per win. However, one card per win usually follows a set pattern of cards to unlock which sucks.
It's likely they'll let you spend your tokens on boosters or something.

Fidelis Hodie said:
Not neccisarily since tournaments give out actual scholarships and all the people playing aren't really playing for the reason we are (i.e. . . . because of FUN). I'm not disagreeing completely, I'm just saying there's a lot more to keep the physical cards and official sanctioned tournaments alive if they push this and make a 3ds game too.

Oh definitely, I'm not denying there can be a difference in those playing the card game physically and those playing digitally.

Two things: what does the bolded mean? And are you saying those buying physically aren't playing for fun?

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
Green Scar said:
Oh definitely, I'm not denying there can be a difference in those playing the card game physically and those playing digitally.

Two things: what does the bolded mean? And are you saying those buying physically aren't playing for fun?

The majority of the older tournaments that I went too went past the point of fun and were about winning. Instead of looking up what four decks everyone else was running, my friends and I built our own decks instead whenever we went.

I watched a girl cry to her mom because she didn't know what deck I was running. I was just in it for the game and playing with my friends.

Now, I don't mean to make such blanket statements, it's just a mindset that seems to change when it becomes more of an obsession and less of a game.

Just my opinion.

Cloudius12 said:
I had no freezing but really long wait times. Like right now, waiting, waiting...

Just be aware, even though the game says it's waiting. It might be stuck in an indefinite loop of that state, meaning the game won't progress any further and you'll have to reload the match, I realised this after I saw it waiting for 5 mins, went to the supermarket, came back and it still said it was waiting.

Izayoi

Banned
Fidelis Hodie said:
The majority of the older tournaments that I went too went past the point of fun and were about winning. Instead of looking up what four decks everyone else was running, my friends and I built our own decks instead whenever we went.

I watched a girl cry to her mom because she didn't know what deck I was running. I was just in it for the game and playing with my friends.

Now, I don't mean to make such blanket statements, it's just a mindset that seems to change when it becomes more of an obsession and less of a game.

Just my opinion.
My experience with real life tournaments is that they're a mixed bag. If you're looking for people who really are all about enjoying the game go to prereleases.

I had a ton of fun at the Call of Legends one. Mostly just collectors and a few kids with their parents.

Soma

Man if people are getting addicted to this now, customizing decks is gonna destroy lives.

I can't wait! Totally considering building a new Kingdra deck. :D

ferr

Weird bug.. I retreated a pokemon, then clicked undo action, and my pokemon came back to my bench on the far right and was unclickable. oooops.

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
Izayoi said:
My experience with real life tournaments is that they're a mixed bag. If you're looking for people who really are all about enjoying the game go to prereleases.

I had a ton of fun at the Call of Legends one. Mostly just collectors and a few kids with their parents.

Hell yes. They're the only tournaments my friends and I will still go to. Love them to death.

We started going out and buying booster packs and having our own pre-release tournies in fact.

Cloudius12 said:
Out of all the decks, I like the Water deck the most, while least favorite Grass :/
1U9Ga.jpg

Soma

Fidelis Hodie said:
Hell yes. They're the only tournaments my friends and I will still go to. Love them to death.

We started going out and buying booster packs and having our own pre-release tournies in fact.
Yeah prereleases were always fun.

I really enjoyed the City Championships where there are a bunch of different people from out to town to chill and battle each other. Really fun times.

Only went to one but managed to get third place with this baby.

DEjHh.jpg

This is also when Luxray SP was taking over the scene too.

If it weren't for money and time issues I'd probably still be going to tournaments and all that jazz, but if this whole online thing is most definitely free i'm so in. GAF would be an awesome community to have it's own tournament or something with this.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
moonspeak said:
If it weren't for money and time issues I'd probably still be going to tournaments and all that jazz, but if this whole online thing is most definitely free i'm so in. GAF would be an awesome community to have it's own tournament or something with this.

Agreed, there's a lot of potential here.

Also I'll be relaunching the OP when the full version launches.

kiryani

Seems a good concept, I've had fun when I've been actually able to play, it's very broken at the minute but it's a beta so no big deal.

Izayoi

Banned
Fidelis Hodie said:

You're awesome. Can't wait for the BW prerelease. Going to be a blast. Plus the set is actually decent this time, so that's a big plus.

JKTrix

Dang, I haven't played the TCG in forever, but the first time I attached an energy card to Horsea it all came back. Not often I get a nostalgia bomb!

The tutorials are voiced. Voiced dialogue in a Pokemon game!

Izayoi

Banned
Shed_a_Ninja said:
So the actual steps to relieve my frustration are:

Step 1: Hit F5 once after it reaches 99%/100% and hangs.

Step 2: Wait.

???
Pretty much. It's not called a Beta for no reason.

Totakeke

It might be server problems because I had 0 problems yesterday when this thread was just created and now I'm stuck at 99%.

NeoGAF killed it.

pirata

Game froze on me, which is probably a good thing, because I was on the precipice of wasting my entire night on it.

So many memories. I owned the GBC game, which was really a cakewalk when the Champion had a three-Energy deck for the Legendary Birds. I used a Water deck: Blastoise and Gyarados ftw.

Never really got into the real cards though. I got a Rocket deck for Christmas and picked up a couple other decks and boosters on sale but by that time the novelty was wearing off. Then Wizards closed all their stores so they were pretty hard to find (on sale). I'm totally unaware of the metagame beyond the original 151 (Supporter/Stadium decks, etc.)

I won the first game with the Water deck (Squirtle ftw) but game hung during the second match. :(

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
moonspeak said:
This is also when Luxray SP was taking over the scene too.

Izayoi said:
Ah... It's a good thing they don't let the AI use any SP cards.

God I love SP cards so much. I made an SP + shuppet deck that I was in love with so much. <3

Izayoi said:
You're awesome. Can't wait for the BW prerelease. Going to be a blast. Plus the set is actually decent this time, so that's a big plus.

Hell yeah, man. Insert high fives.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
So the B/W set is supposed to be good? Seems like the perfect time to jump in then, I guess. Any recommendations for a starter deck?

celebi23

JKTrix said:
Dang, I haven't played the TCG in forever, but the first time I attached an energy card to Horsea it all came back. Not often I get a nostalgia bomb!

The tutorials are voiced. Voiced dialogue in a Pokemon game!
Same here. I used to be so into the card game. Can't wait until the add online play with actual people. Kinda shocked Nintendo is doing this.

Izayoi

Banned
Andrex said:
So the B/W set is supposed to be good? Seems like the perfect time to jump in then, I guess. Any recommendations for a starter deck?
Pick whichever one you want. They're out in a week and a half or so. Go with the starter you chose in the game or something.

btkadams said:
has anybody got this to work in the past couple hours? it's always hanging at 99% for me now :( lol
I've been playing it for a few hours now with no problems. Haven't tried refreshing, though.

Just stopped working completely for me. Everyone on the forums are saying the same thing. Must be a server-side issue.

Top Bottom