• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Trading Card Game Online |OT| Everything You've Ever Dreamed

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
zoukka said:
I also just remembered how fucking broken this game was originally :D Cards like Bill, Prof Oak and Computer Search lol. Coming from MTG those cards seemed so weird.

I guess nowadays they have a bunch of rules to restrict you from milling your entire deck in one turn. Is the competitive game anyway balanced now?

Somewhat. In the modified format, you can only play with the latest sets which usually turns into a handful of decks being over powered. There was a time with the SP cards that things were feeling fun again, but back in the LBS (A deck where you do 100 to any pokemon on the field) days . . ugh.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Gravijah said:
I dunno, but I think it's down in Japan too, FWIW.

Yeah, it is. It was supposed to relaunch with a new interface for everyone on the 30th, but it was delayed...

survivor

Banned
So I'm facing Tyson and the game just kinda froze. It's not showing me any option to attack or end my game but I can click and view my cards. And I was just winning with Typlosion. Such a shame.

EvilMario said:
Once the bugs are out of it, and they start letting me customize my deck, I'm in.

27-ditto.jpg

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
EvilMario said:
Once the bugs are out of it, and they start letting me customize my deck, I'm in.

I wish they'd let you switch between WotC era and TPC era. Using Gym Leaders/RBY era gym leader cards was pretty fun back in 1999.

Acrylic7

YuGiOh should have had a true online card game. selling digital packs over psn and live would rake in at least billions, easily. But since its not as hot as it used to be, who knows.
Missed opportunity?

TheSeks said:
I wish they'd let you switch between WotC era and TPC era. Using Gym Leaders/RBY era gym leader cards was pretty fun back in 1999.

Pretty sure they've had Gym Leader/Elite 4/Frontier Brain sets since Pokemon Co took over operations. They brought back Rocket sets when FRLG came out. Heck, there's even stuff like 'Ash's Pikachu'.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Holy crap this is addicting. Must... not... let this interrupt my IV breeding...

Acrylic7 said:
YuGiOh should have had a true online card game. selling digital packs over psn and live would rake in at least billions, easily. But since its not as hot as it used to be, who knows.
Missed opportunity?

There is Yugioh Online but it's more of a restricted MMO than a card game simulator like Magic Online or this.

Izayoi

Banned
TheSeks said:
Most of the original WotC cards have been reprinted in newer sets.

It's unlikely we'll see the old WotC cards, but most of them will make an appearance depending on how far back they plan to go with the Nintendo sets.

Acrylic7

Andrex said:
There is Yugioh Online but it's more of a restricted MMO than a card game simulator like Magic Online or this.
Yeah but its not the actual card game. The card game is crazy addictive and fun.

N4Us

Eteric Rice said:

Holy fuck, haha. Straight 80 damage with no coin flips, I'm loving this.

I've been mostly sticking with Grass, kinda biased cause that's my favorite type to use in GBC, but that card alone makes me want to use Water.

N4Us said:
Holy fuck, haha. Straight 80 damage with no coin flips, I'm loving this.

I've been mostly sticking with Grass, kinda biased cause that's my favorite type to use in GBC, but that card alone makes me want to use Water.

Feraligator is straight up beast. The 80 damage is good for no coin toss but his other ability is better when the opponent has a full bench of basic pokemon. I killed 4 at the same time, was beast.

I've just now finished the platinum league on hard, unlocked all the cards for water and grass decks. Now going to do diamond with the fire deck.

survivor

Banned
So I beat the first league with the fire deck. IS there a point in using it anymore? Will I get new cards with it or should I use the other 2 decks and unlock their cards?

Izayoi

Banned
survivor said:
So I beat the first league with the fire deck. IS there a point in using it anymore? Will I get new cards with it or should I use the other 2 decks and unlock their cards?
Use the other decks. Once you hit twelve wins with a deck you stop getting new cards for it.

survivor said:

You're lucky you used fire deck first, I just won my first match in the diamond league with the firedeck. The fire deck sucks balls. Water and grass ftw.

Zomba13

Billychu said:
3DS version plz Nintendo? It seems so weird that it's a web based thing instead of a 3DS killer app.
3DS this and 3DS snap please Nintendo. Bring back the awesome Pokemon spin offs!

Woffls

Okay, I think I'm done with this for today. Played it for about 11 hours, with little more than Twitter as a peripheral distraction. It's so much fun, but I reealllyyy hope I can unlock a new deck soon :(

Izayoi

Banned
Soru said:
You're lucky you used fire deck first, I just won my first match in the diamond league with the firedeck. The fire deck sucks balls. Water and grass ftw.
Yeah, Grass is the strongest deck overall. You get Torterra, Meganium, and Butterfree. Water deck is also good, but Blastoise is kind of a throw-away.

Fire deck is the weakest, as all you've really got to rely on is Ninetails.

survivor

Banned
Just reached the playoffs with the Grass deck. It's really a good deck but I have been having a lot of bad hands. Like how the hell can I go 6 turns without even drawing a single energy card. So stupid. And I didn't even get any of my Supporter cards that like the Oak one or the one to get me energy cards.

I can't wait for the deck builder to come. So I can finally take out the useless cards.

glennw

Neo Member
Izayoi said:
Yeah, Grass is the strongest deck overall. You get Torterra, Meganium, and Butterfree. Water deck is also good, but Blastoise is kind of a throw-away.

Fire deck is the weakest, as all you've really got to rely on is Ninetails.

I felt like Fire was the strongest, Flareon flamethrower is probably the most powerful first evolution attack out of the premade decks. Once you have all the cards though all the decks are pretty strong, mainly because the AI trainers are so terrible!

I remember back in the day when you could play as many trainers as you want and just mill your deck for all your best cards...

I was 8th best Pokemon card player in the UK...my friend was 2nd and got to go to Hawaii as part of the nationals. I'm not sure if I should be embarrassed by that or not!

Izayoi

Banned
survivor said:
Just reached the playoffs with the Grass deck. It's really a good deck but I have been having a lot of bad hands. Like how the hell can I go 6 turns without even drawing a single energy card. So stupid. And I didn't even get any of my Supporter cards that like the Oak one or the one to get me energy cards.

I can't wait for the deck builder to come. So I can finally take out the useless cards.
Lot of bad luck. These decks are flooded with energy, and lack search cards.

Also, dem odds.

Broke my previous record of three mulligans in a row and I got a whole four mulligans in a goddamn row. Still won, though.

glennw said:
I felt like Fire was the strongest, Flareon flamethrower is probably the most powerful first evolution attack out of the premade decks. Once you have all the cards though all the decks are pretty strong, mainly because the AI trainers are so terrible!

I remember back in the day when you could play as many trainers as you want and just mill your deck for all your best cards...

I was 8th best Pokemon card player in the UK...my friend was 2nd and got to go to Hawaii as part of the nationals. I'm not sure if I should be embarrassed by that or not!
Flareon and Typhlosion are alright, but I've never been keen on discard decks. If you can get the energy to keep powering them it's great but I've been fucked too often by the discard stuff.

survivor

Banned
I think my worst luck was when I only had a Caterpie and energy cards only. The AI takes me out in his second turn. Stupid 30 HP

ismaboof

How the hell do you play a game? All I can find are the mini games for more trainer tokens

Edit: nvm, registering took me to a different web site apparently

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
Izayoi said:
Lot of bad luck. These decks are flooded with energy, and lack search cards.

Also, dem odds.

Broke my previous record of three mulligans in a row and I got a whole four mulligans in a goddamn row. Still won, though.

Flareon and Typhlosion are alright, but I've never been keen on discard decks. If you can get the energy to keep powering them it's great but I've been fucked too often by the discard stuff.

Getting Magmortar out in the fire deck and raping through that 22 fire energy's is a nice change of pace though, since that's about 12 more energy than I usually played in a deck.

The flareon + nintetails combo is a lot of fun though, I haven't actually played with any of the other decks.

glennw said:

That's still more than possible, it's just there aren't many trainers (which you can spam) in these cards and they're all mainly supporters (can only play once per turn).

Most tournament ready decks are set up turn two or three still, and that's with 2nd stage evolution lines to boot.

Thought i'd try be lolsy and see how much damage I could do with a ratatta. Managed to kill 4 pokemon with it dealing like 270 damage roughly. Nearly done the platinum league, soon as I finish I know i'm gonna be sad.

Well I've gotten to game 8 and so far the only problems I've had are having to wait for about 10 seconds to perform an action, and that's only every once in a while. This is pretty cool as I'm one of the ones who collected but never played. A 3DS AR card game would probably make the world explode.

Izayoi

Banned
PounchEnvy said:
I just hate it when the game freezes up when I'm winning. Like now. :/
I've never had the game freeze on me before, and I've played it for probably ten hours now.

Only short pauses where I couldn't take any action for about five seconds, and even those are rare.

Weird.

Just finished the diamond league, not sure how long i've been playing this for. No problems on the achievements front. Unlocked all cards for all decks, will any of that matter once it's out of beta?

Playing this for a while, I have to ask... what the fuck Nintendo? We haven't had a video game of this since the Gameboy Color. It's bad enough they didn't localize Card Hero. Why do they hate us so? ;_; Meanwhile, a stack of the Yu-Gi-Oh! video games released here could probably reach my ceiling.

Poyunch

Izayoi said:
I've never had the game freeze on me before, and I've played it for probably ten hours now.

Only short pauses where I couldn't take any action for about five seconds, and even those are rare.

Weird.
I've waited for 30 seconds sometimes. :(

Izayoi

Banned
Soru said:
Just finished the diamond league, not sure how long i've been playing this for. No problems on the achievements front. Unlocked all cards for all decks, will any of that matter once it's out of beta?
I imagine everything will get wiped progress-wise and we'll have to start out on the same foot as everyone else.

PounchEnvy said:
I've waited for 30 seconds sometimes. :(
How beefy is your rig? Flash is a atrociously slow and there's a lot of stuff going on here. Did you try turning down the quality?

Eteric Rice

Izayoi said:
I imagine everything will get wiped progress-wise and we'll have to start out on the same foot as everyone else.

I just hope we get booster packs and stuff. Getting one card per win is a little lame.

Poyunch

Izayoi said:
How beefy is your rig? Flash is a atrociously slow and there's a lot of stuff going on here. Did you try turning down the quality?
It's a fresh Alienware laptop I don't think it's my laptop.

Top Bottom