• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Trading Card Game Online |OT| Everything You've Ever Dreamed

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
Fuck, I'm so ready for this. I was a Pokemon Professor back in 2007 and would love to reclaim my reign of absolute nerdom.

For those who don't know, being a Pokemon Professor means you take an online test that is timed and one of the hardest I've ever taken on the intricacies of the pokemon TCG. If you pass, you're sanctioned to judge tournaments, etc. etc.

If you fail, you have to wait 18 days to take it again. If you fail again, you have to wait some more months.

Shit is serious.

Lol I just found these.

I held my own tournament (not following the modified format rules of only newer sets) at my house a year ago. God, I love pokemon.

19951_1234235851062_1084166420_30621351_2047511_n.jpg

Pau

Ugh had a Typhlosion ready on the bench and the game froze. Not cool.

And aww, Normal Pokemon no longer have a resistance to Psychic types. (Not that that ever made sense.)

Pau said:
Ugh had a Typhlosion ready on the bench and the game froze. Not cool.

And aww, Normal Pokemon no longer have a resistance to Psychic types. (Not that that ever made sense.)
It was because Ghosts were psychic in the TCG, and Normal has always had a resistance to Ghosts.

Totakeke

Uh oh, I think this online client's Achilles' heel is that it's so damn difficult to see the energy of your opponent's pokemon. Seriously, what's up with that.

Totakeke said:
Uh oh, I think this online client's Achilles' heel is that it's so damn difficult to see the energy of your opponent's pokemon. Seriously, what's up with that.
There's a magnification option on every card in play. It comes up when you highlight the card.

Totakeke

InsaneZero said:
There's a magnification option on every card in play. It comes up when you highlight the card.

Not the card itself. How do I tell how many energy cards does the opponent's pokemon has attached? Magnify the card and click back and forth until I see all of them and count them out? No way.

zoukka

Haha it's so easy.

So will the full version be like MTGO? Full decks, all cards and human opponents? And everything costs as much or more as irl?

Pau

Professor Beef said:
It was because Ghosts were psychic in the TCG, and Normal has always had a resistance to Ghosts.

Never thought of that! Thanks! The eleven-year-old me is finally at peace with this particular mechanic. (Although, now that I think of it, I'm glad they removed it and split the types. Used to run with an all Psychic deck, and normal Pokemon like Chansey were always the end of me.)

Totakeke said:
Not the card itself. How do I tell how many energy cards does the opponent's pokemon has attached? Magnify the card and click back and forth until I see all of them and count them out? No way.
I believe you can hover over the card, and it'll tell you how much energy they have. I know it tells you how much health they have left, at least (like 20/80, for example)

Izayoi

Banned
moonspeak said:
Say what are the chances of a GAF online tournament when this thing is officially out?
I would definitely be game, oh man.

mikeybwright said:
Why are they not making this for the 3DS? Street Pass seems like it was designed for Pokemon TCG.
They are, read the thread. :p

bangai-o said:
is Pokemon cooler than Magic?
Undoubtedly. Magic is for nerds.

Totakeke said:
Clicking on a benched Pokemon should bring up their entire bench (not the eye, just the card).

Unless they've got like six energies on one Pokemon it should be pretty easy to count.

zoukka said:
Haha it's so easy.

So will the full version be like MTGO? Full decks, all cards and human opponents? And everything costs as much or more as irl?
The entire Modified format at least, if not all of the Nintendo-printed cards.

There will be online play and fully-featured deck builder.

It will be 100% free.

Eteric Rice

Izayoi said:
The entire Modified format at least, if not all of the Nintendo-printed cards.

There will be online play and fully-featured deck builder.

It will be 100% free.

If I get friends to join, will I be able to play directly against them?

If yes then OMFG.

Totakeke

Izayoi said:
Clicking on a benched Pokemon should bring up their entire bench (not the eye, just the card).

Unless they've got like six energies on one Pokemon it should be pretty easy to count

Oh, I see.

Ellis Kim

Banned

Nintendo needs to release a 3DS game for this. Yugioh's been pretty good about releasing portable entries of its TCG, yet only the GBA game (and some flash game a few years back) ever came up for pokemon's tcg.

Gravijah

Ellis Kim said:

Nintendo needs to release a 3DS game for this. Yugioh's been pretty good about releasing portable entries of its TCG, yet only the GBA game (and some flash game a few years back) ever came up for pokemon's tcg.

You mean the GBC games? It wasn't even GBA. :/

Izayoi said:
You didn't sell it or throw it away or something, did you?

I stopped collecting them and my grandma gave them to my brother. Not sure what happened after that.

Izayoi

Banned
Gravijah said:
This thread opens old wounds. Oh where art thou, Pokemon card collection? :(
You didn't sell it or throw it away or something, did you?

zoukka said:
http://www.makkez.com/pics/what-has-been-seen.jpg[IMG][/quote]
I was surprised too.

[quote=Eteric Rice]If I get friends to join, will I be able to play directly against them?

If yes then OMFG.[/quote]
Yep, you will.

[quote=GaimeGuy]Can matches use this music, please?

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=al1TH4WOYCM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=al1TH4WOYCM[/URL][/quote]
Oh god it would be so amazing.

[spoiler]I have a playlist of TCG music that I just play with the game muted.[/spoiler]

[quote=Ellis Kim]...

Nintendo needs to release a 3DS game for this. Yugioh's been pretty good about releasing portable entries of its TCG, yet only the GBA game (and some flash game a few years back) ever came up for pokemon's tcg.[/quote]
Yo dawg, I heard you didn't like reading the thread.

[spoiler]Just messing, but Andrex needs to put it in the OP or something.[/spoiler]

Lace

I played the crap out of the original TCG for the GBC. I actually bought it on accident during one of my blockbuster runs. Best mess up of my life.

If Nintendo releases something like this for the 3ds consider me sold.

vanty

I've had 8 coin flips so far, lost every single one. Doesn't seem particularly random...

EDIT: Now fucking 11.

Spruchy

I was so good at this TCG that after I won my 5th tournament the owner was convinced that I was cheating.

Bitches just don't know about DAT SCYTHER BEATDOWN.

zoukka

vanty said:
I've had 8 coin flips so far, lost every single one. Doesn't seem particularly random...

EDIT: Now fucking 11.

I remember losing my shit with the irl game back in the days. I lost 90% of coin flips. So I just maed a deck with none in it.

Spruchy said:
I was so good at this TCG that after I won my 5th tournament the owner was convinced that I was cheating.

Bitches just don't know about DAT SCYTHER BEATDOWN.
Scyther was TOO DAMN GOOD.
Best believe I ran a full set.

N4Us

Forgot about this! Gonna go check it out.

I haven't played the recent revisions of the game though, guess I'd better look over the rules.

Izayoi

Banned
Eteric Rice said:
When will deck building be up?
In April. Sooner rather than later, I would imagine. Rumor has it it might be up as early as the 5th, when the BW theme decks are released.

zoukka said:
I remember losing my shit with the irl game back in the days. I lost 90% of coin flips. So I just maed a deck with none in it.
I'm the same way, all of my decks have no coin flips because they're fucking stupid.

Gravijah said:
Is TCG the place where all the shitty Pokemon have their time to shine?
Yup.

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
Gravijah said:
Is TCG the place where all the shitty Pokemon have their time to shine?

Hell yeah. I have the most bitchin' Shuppet deck on the planet, no lie. Sucker doin' 70 damage for one energy and can't be touched.

Izayoi

Banned
Professor Beef said:
Do The Wave deck was my shit. It was truly rage-inducing, and I think I nearly lost a friendship back then, haha.
Yup, I played a Do The Wave deck as well.

So. Goddamn. Good. I literally brought a pitcher with me wherever I went to collect delicious tears with it.

Oh man.

Bluth54

It's pretty strange that Nintendo is making a free online game instead of a DS or 3DS game but I think I'm going to enjoy playing the Pokemon TCG again.

Ellis Kim

Banned
Gravijah said:
You mean the GBC games? It wasn't even GBA. :/

I stopped collecting them and my grandma gave them to my brother. Not sure what happened after that.
yes, I meant GBC. I even got a free strategy guide for the game that I never used (and I think I eventually gave it to a friend) since I never actually owned the game.

@Izayoi: but I did read the thread :<

Been playing this for the past hour or so. I don't know how much time has actually passed since I started. Guuuhhhhh....

I want to build my own decks, dammit!

I signed up for Pokemon.com because of this and played the stupid games...

WHY ARE THEY SO GOOD!? Sableye's game was definitely my favorite =D I played it for 2 hours D: And now I just started the TCG game. Fuck. So good.

Woffls

YESSS :D Been waiting for this for a little while, and didn't realise there was a Beta out. This pretty much confirms Nintendo as being the single best thing that has happened to mankind.

They need to do something about KO'ing a Pokémon then still doing the Sleep Powder coin flip to see if it's asleep or not. >_>

Top Bottom