• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

Rengoku

Heavy said:
This was a huge gripe for you? It probably happened a few times total in the entire game, and it's like a 10-12 hour game. And remember there are reinforcements that come in after they shoot the flares.

I don't have a problem with respawning enemies, but my issue is where they drop into the map. There may have only been a handful of times, but it happened enough to the point where I just said 'fuck it' and cloaked the rest of the way through the chapter.

Facism

more on my shimmer problems when using Knox's config in the OP. Every straight edge shimmers or seems to vibrate violently when viewing normally, however, when aiming down the sights of a pistol or any other weapon, the shimmer/vibration disappears.

Really stumped on what's causing this. Might just have to give up on the custom configs.

I don't understand why you'd ever stealth past enemies in this game. The heat of the moment combat is one of the few aspects of this game that is equal to the original.

Balls to the wall shooting over running past an area any day.

kitch9

Banned
Cheaters don't normally bother me on the PC as you expect to see the odd one, but fuck me with this game they are taking THE PISS!

Just joined 3 rooms and there's one in every room just running around at double speed infinitely, firing from the hip with infinite ammo and NO recoil.

Fuck this game on-line, what a mess..... I've never seen anything like it.

BIVIANO! said:
I don't recall there being any instance of infinite respawn in the game.

I didn't notice at first, but endless waves seemed to happen on the docks just prior to when you enter Gould's apartment, and also later when you're going to break into the cradle (before you get captured). Like if you stay outside and fight, they keep coming.

The reason I didn't notice at first was because I played through on Posthuman Warrior and voluntarily getting into big firefights is suicide. Picking a few off as necessary and stealthing was the smart way to go. I replayed a few levels (those two amongs them) on Normal after I was done and dicked around, which is when I noticed it.

Using the stealthy approach should only occur on higher difficulties; so that there really is a consequence when caught or seen.

For those playing on easy, then of course run around shooting as there are no real repercussions.

Grisby

Do some attachments just not save in single player? I carried my silenced pistol I found for a while and then ditched it. Next pistol I pick up I can't add the attachment to it, says its locked.

Only gun I've had this problem with.

StuBurns

Banned
Grisby said:
Do some attachments just not save in single player? I carried my silenced pistol I found for a while and then ditched it. Next pistol I pick up I can't add the attachment to it, says its locked.

That's the only one I've had that happen to, I think it could be related to the fact attachments roll over to the next play thru and they want you to pick up a silenced pistol near the start of the game to try and teach the player to silently sneak thru the car park.

IronRinn

Heavy said:
Is this the shimmering you're talking about (see aliens)

Tried the config in the OP last night for the first time and I get that exact same outline around the aliens. Any idea what's causing it?

BIVIANO!

ThoseDeafMutes said:
The reason I didn't notice at first was because I played through on Posthuman Warrior and voluntarily getting into big firefights is suicide. Picking a few off as necessary and stealthing was the smart way to go. I replayed a few levels (those two amongs them) on Normal after I was done and dicked around, which is when I noticed it.
Yeah, I've only played through on supersoldier and stealthed past those parts as well. Guess I was wrong.

Grisby

StuBurns said:
That's the only one I've had that happen to, I think it could be related to the fact attachments roll over to the next play thru and they want you to pick up a silenced pistol near the start of the game to try and teach the player to silently sneak thru the car park.

:(, yeah its my second run through. I love my silenced pistol in games. Oh well, at least I can add it in multiplayer.

kitch9

Banned
dyergram said:
I may be a little late here but am I missing something or is the pc version sort of bad? I mean iv got it set to extreme is that the highest setting the graphics seem kinda rubbish, im finding it real difficult to force myself to play this game, seems really overrated right now.

Out of interest which games do you find better looking.....? (Barring the original Crysis.)

StuBurns said:

Well they failed pretty hard there then, I gunned it through there and took the silencer off halfway through because it was fucking with accuracy/damage and has that overly annoying puff of smoke obscuring your vision.

Grisby said:

I've had this same exact problem. On my second playthrough and my pistol silencer has vanished.

I hate the re-spawning of enemies too. I am finding it very frustrating in some chapters. They really flank you from all angles too which makes it worse. The part on the FDR is really pissing me off.

I seriously don't know where the respawning enemies complaint is coming from. The only time I noticed it was at the beginning of Lab Rat if you didn't advance at all. There's probably like 3 occurrences in the entire game. Don't forget they call in reinforcements with flares.

BIVIANO! said:
I don't recall there being any instance of infinite respawn in the game.
There are several instances throughout the game where it happens. It happens even if reinforcements aren't called in.

Vitet said:
No way...this game has infinite respawns... ¬¬
axl28j.png

I like to move freely after killing everyone dammit. This is just absurd!
This is just one of several sections.

Just finished the single player. Didn't understand the story. :(

What was going on with Tunguska and that one old dude?
What was going on with all the story?

Patrick Bateman said:
Just finished the single player. Didn't understand the story. :(

What was going on with Tunguska and that one old dude?
What was going on with all the story?
I don't know but

Dr Ray Stantz: You know, Mr. Tully, you are a most fortunate individual.
Louis: I know!
Dr Ray Stantz: You have been a participant in the biggest interdimensional cross rip since the Tunguska blast of 1909!
Louis: Felt great.
Dr. Egon Spengler: We'd like to get a sample of your brain tissue.
Louis: Okay.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I only noticed the infinite spawn by Gould's place, but it was crazy obvious there. I used Stealth enough that I probably avoided the other spots.

stuminus3

So since I still had a Crysis itch but didn't want to jump into a replay so soon, I decided to go back for a run through the original. Wow, the ambient lighting in the first game is so... not even there compared to the sequel.

I was also quite shocked to be reminded that the AI of the original game is also bugged and as dumb as shit, although it has the benefit of larger open spaces for them to get around in so it's not so noticeable. See the guy in the doorway of this picture? He spent a good five minutes doing nothing but tripping over the dead bodies of all his dumbass friends here. To be fair it was hilarious.

crysis1600x900.jpg

I was actually considering another run through the original Far Cry this weekend to see how it compares...

Dennis

Banned
Nekrono said:
If Crysis 2 wins GOTY that's going to be like GT's 'Best Graphics' award going to CoD4 back in 2007.

Game is ok but it's not ground breaking and it will be forgotten down the road, especially when other big titles come out this year. Bulletstorm is another example of this.

People are over-hyping this game too much it's hilarious, exactly like Bulletstorm's thread.
Very few GOTYs are groundbreaking. And they don't need to be - they just have to be the best game to come out that year.

How the fuck am I 'overhyping' the game? Why would I pretend to like it more than I actually do?

Of the games I have played that have come out this year I think Crysis 2 is probably the best so far. Therefore I consider it a likely candidate for my 2011 GOTY. Other games may edge it out eventually but that won't diminish the greatness of this game.

ThoseDeafMutes said:
I didn't notice at first, but endless waves seemed to happen on the docks just prior to when you enter Gould's apartment, and also later when you're going to break into the cradle (before you get captured). Like if you stay outside and fight, they keep coming.

Can't say anything about the pier, since I mostly snuck around after a while, but I'm pretty sure I cleared out the street before the HQ, and took my time to explore with no resistance afterward. Maybe it's got something to do with a reinforcement flare?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
DennisK4 said:
Very few GOTYs are groundbreaking. And they don't need to be - they just have to be the best game to come out that year.

How the fuck am I 'overhyping' the game? Why would I pretend to like it more than I actually do?

Of the games I have played that have come out this year I think Crysis 2 is probably the best so far. Therefore I consider it a likely candidate for my 2011 GOTY. Other games may edge it out eventually but that won't diminish the greatness of this game.
That's exactly the way I feel. Trust me, you'll feel even better about considering this a possible GOTY when you get farther on.

Sh1ner

Also forgot to mention, Cepth/Soldiers respawning directly infront of you = not cool, scared shit out of me when a spawn happened in my face on the bridge and nearly dropped the mouse.

JRW

Didn't realize 360 version is missing self-shadows from light sources until last night:

crysis2_360_noshadow.JPG

PC @ hardcore gfx mode
crysis2_pc_shadow.JPG

StuBurns

Banned
DennisK4 said:

I agree, I don't think there's much chance it will ultimately be my favorite game this year, there's so much awesome to come, Portal 2, LA Noire, Journey and TLG are probably all going to be better to me, but right now (and admittedly it's early in the year) Crysis 2 is ahead.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
JRW said:
Didn't realize 360 version is missing self-shadows from light sources until last night:

http://ded.zenblue.net/Crysis2/crysis2_360_noshadow.JPG[IMG]

[b]PC[/b] @ hardcore gfx mode
[IMG]http://ded.zenblue.net/Crysis2/crysis2_pc_shadow.JPG[IMG][/QUOTE]
Odd. Maybe it was the angle you were standing at? The PS3 version has those shadows so it would be weird for the 360 version to not have it.

raphier

Banned
JRW said:

crysis2_360_noshadow.JPG

PC @ hardcore gfx mode
crysis2_pc_shadow.JPG
that's possibly the best possible comparison there is! I always find it stupid that people take console version screenshots by taking photography, which alters colors as a result and makes the comparison between direct screenshot and photography obsolete, yet enforcing it within communities and I've despised them because of it.

Grisby said:

I had this problem with that gun too. Sucks, cause I really wanted to use it on some of the later missions when you're fighting CELL. What's even worse is that my JAW "jammed" up and it no longer works, despite having 7 rockets. It just won't reload or something, but it's bugged and I can't use it. I can aim down the sites, but the trigger does nothing, and the ammo count always reads 0/6. Im my inventory it shows 7 rockets.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
DennisK4 said:

The game is as good as Dennis says.

Signed,
Stallion Free

Numpt3

This game is looooooong, 11.5 hours in (I like to explore) and the stats say i'm on mission 16 of 19. Not that I'm complaining, the game is awesome.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I was actually considering another run through the original Far Cry this weekend to see how it compares...
I just took a stab at it myself.

It plays like absolute dog shit. Not even remotely close to Crysis 1 and 2. The gun play is a joke, the AI is even worse, and the mission design was very poor.

They made enormous progress between Far Cry and Crysis.

Insertia

"The spear Alcatraz, watch the spear."

Amazing job on this ingame cutscene. I'll say it's one of the most awesome things I've experienced in a FPS. I can't believe my eyes.

This game is so insanely impressive that I feel that I'm over-hyping it because I'm not used to this kind of experience on a console.

Grisby

MrCompletely said:
I had this problem with that gun too. Sucks, cause I really wanted to use it on some of the later missions when you're fighting CELL. What's even worse is that my JAW "jammed" up and it no longer works, despite having 7 rockets. It just won't reload or something, but it's bugged and I can't use it. I can aim down the sites, but the trigger does nothing, and the ammo count always reads 0/6. Im my inventory it shows 7 rockets.

Happened to me too but fixed itself before the final encounter, :/. On my second play it didn't happen so its a random bug.

raphier

Banned
Insertia said:
"The spear Alcatraz, watch the spear."

Amazing job on this ingame cutscene. I'll say it's one of the most awesome things I've experienced in a FPS. I can't believe my eyes.

This game is so insanely impressive that I feel that I'm over-hyping it because I'm not used to this kind of experience on a console.
Meh. Cutscene animations are terrible. The body language is completelly deranged from their facial part and doesn't fit. Some of voice-overs feel like they try to sound cool at times, it hurts my soul. And jesus, why is everybody so smart they know my exact doing and position, even when they are about thousands of miles away.

Nekrono

DennisK4 said:

I wasn't talking about you exactly, a lot of people are coming here posting it's GOTY, etc, and in all honestly after playing it myself and reading other posts other than "OMG THIS GAME IS AWESOME" it feels like GAF is praising this game too much, just like Bulletstorm, go take a look at a few pages from that thread if you like.

Sure it's a good game and will most likely be a GOTY candidate but if it takes that title it's going to be disappointing.

Insertia

raphier said:
Meh. Cutscene animations are terrible. The body language is completelly deranged from their facial part and doesn't fit. Some of voice-overs feel like they try to sound cool at times, it hurts my soul. And jesus, why is everybody so smart they know my exact doing and position, even when they are about thousands of miles away.

It doesn't matter.
It's like a Micheal Bay movie filled with awesome imagery and great gameplay.

Crysis 2 gets a pass for the lacking story. The gameplay is priority in this game. Everything else is just to support the excellent playing experience.

Top Bottom