• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal 2 on PS3: Redeemable Steam Play copy explained

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Thanks to Gacha-pin who posted this in the "Buy the PS3 version and get the PC version free ..." thread. A lot of people have been wondering how the process of redeeming the Steam Play version of Portal 2 - that comes with the PS3 version of the game - works and Valve have finally given us a run-down, so I figured the news deserved its own thread.

Gamerzines said:
GZ: The PS3 version includes Steamworks functionality which, on the face of it, gives it the edge over the version 360.

JB: Uh huh, I think so.

GZ: And it also provides PS3 players with a copy of the PC version for free. How does that process work? Is there a Steam key included in the box to download the PC version, or is a copy gifted to you once you link your Steam account in the PS3 game?

JB: We're going to send out some more details on that, but when you buy the PS3 version there'll be a key code in the box , and when you first bring up Steamworks in the PS3 game, that allows you to link your Steam account with your PSN account. That's where you punch in the code, and once you've used that code it's spent. With that link, you automatically own the game for PC and you can download it on any PC or Mac that you have. If you don't have a Steam account you can instantly create one through a quick sign up, and then you can activate that later as a full Steam account on your PC.

GZ: Do you need the code to access co-op in the PS3 version, or can you simply play through PSN without touching Steam?

JB: You have to create a Steam account, which again can be via that quick create where all you're doing is clicking a button saying 'hey, I wanna play'. You don't need to input the code. You don't even need to have a full Steam account.

GZ: So someone buying a second hand copy of the PS3 version would still have access to the co-op even if the code has already been redeemed?

JB: Yes, they would.

GZ: Does that leave the system open to abuse? Let's say I want to pick up the PC version. Are there any measures stopping me from buying the PS3 version, linking the code to my Steam account, immediately selling back the PS3 game to a store and effectively getting a PC copy for next to nothing?

JB: No, I don't think there's anything that would prevent that. We're willing to take the risk that someone might jump through all those hoops to create what we think is a really compelling feature that people are going to like.

I was going to bold some bits, but it's not very long and it's all worth a read so you have an understanding of how the system works. The final answer in particular is good news for all you cheap bastards out there. :p

Update: PS Blog post and super-informative Steam KB article:

SolidSnakex said:
Valve just posted this on the PSblog

Steam makes its appearance on the PS3 as an overlay within Portal 2. Here, the Steam overlay provides access to Steam Friends, displaying their in-game or online status and providing a quick pathway to text chats, player profiles, friend requests, and game invites. Steam Achievements are earned in lockstep with PSN Trophies and are also accessible within the Steam overlay.

Steam on the PS3 provides access to all of these features once the player has linked their PlayStation Network account with a Steam account, which is done right within the game. A Steam user can login to an existing account, and anyone new to Steam can create an account with the click of a button.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/04/13/valve-reveals-portal-2-for-playstation-3-steam-details/
Owensboro said:

MrPliskin

Banned
Well, looks like you cheap good for nothings can hustle your way out of a few cases of mountain dew for Portal 2. Put on your Costanza hats and ruin it for us all! :)

It's interesting that they don't mind people selling the game after it has been redeemed on Steam.

At least Valve are nice. If I were to buy the PS3 copy I wouldn't like to disrespect Valve by selling the PS3 version.

I could see the buying and trading possibly being problematic. Hopefully it doesn't make Valve rethink their stance on this and the future of this type of deal.

Good for them for having faith in the consumer, but I have a bad feeling Valve's gonna get fucked by a bunch of cheapskates on this one.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I'd like to see another source, but if this is true I have zero faith in the community to make Valve interested in ever doing this again this way.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
So I guess you could co-op with someone 'locally' using your PC and PS3 from one copy..? That was one of the big questions, I didn't think they would allow it.

badcrumble said:
Good for them for having faith in the consumer, but I have a bad feeling Valve's gonna get fucked by a bunch of cheapskates on this one.
A sale is a sale and those that know that PS3 version includes PC version would not buy it used unless they don't need the PC version.

Also, from what I read: you'll need to unlock this within PS3 so those that'll try to sell the PC key will get nowhere as well.

markot

Banned
MrPliskin said:
Well, looks like you cheap good for nothings can hustle your way out of a few cases of mountain dew for Portal 2. Put on your Costanza hats and ruin it for us all! :)
>.<

Oni Jazar

As I stated in the other thread I'm buying the PS3 version just to support this practice. Bravo. (And I won't be selling the PS3 disc)

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Foliorum Viridum said:
A massive "fuck you" to anyone planning to abuse this in advance. If there's any dev that doesn't deserve that it's Valve.

I have no interest in Portal 2 so I won't be "abusing" this, but Valve is just openly inviting it. There's nothing wrong with the consumer doing what's best for themselves.

1-D_FTW

Screw it. Amazon order placed. The .99 cents for release day delivery seals it for me. If I could have bought the PC version for 36 dollars straight up, I probably would have.

MrPliskin

Banned
shagg_187 said:
A sale is a sale and those that know that PS3 version includes PC version would not buy it used unless they don't need the PC version.

Also, from what I read: you'll need to unlock this within PS3 so those that'll try to sell the PC key will get nowhere as well.

The problem is this can potentially flood the market with used PS3 copies early on, very early on. People will buy it, get their PC copy, and then sell it back before the resell value declines. It's pretty crappy, IMO.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I still wouldn't buy the PS3 version because I don't play games like Portal there.

Sure you'll get two versions, but will I ever use the PS3 version if I have the PC one? Kudos to those who can't get a PC tho.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Realistically, how many people own a PS3 and a gaming PC? Probably not that many in the general populace. Since you need to link it via PS3, it won't be as abused as some of you guys make it out to be.

I hope that EB and other "trade-in" retailers have a very low trade value for the PS3 version. This is gonna be abused.

Ysiadmihi said:
I have no interest in Portal 2 so I won't be "abusing" this, but Valve is just openly inviting it. There's nothing wrong with the consumer doing what's best for themselves.
I think there is when Valve is doing so much pro-consumer stuff with this release already.

If there's one company that doesn't fuck consumers it's Valve so doing something to fuck them over is horrible.

Danne-Danger said:
That PS3 version is going to drop in value pretty fast I reckon, if gamestop/whatever will even take it in.

I kind of doubt this. 360 will still probably outsell ps3 version even with this bonus.

Do we know if this offer will be valid indefinitely? Or is it like Dead Space 2 with the free Extraction on PS3, where the Limited Edition is only available for so long? Will future (cheaper?) PS3 copies of Portal 2 come without the free PC voucher?

I'm asking because I've got to get rid of my PS3 backlog first, don't really need Portal 2 on day one and I'll only get a new PC around November (BF3 release).

Angst

Foliorum Viridum said:
A massive "fuck you" to anyone planning to abuse this in advance. If there's any dev that doesn't deserve that it's Valve.
This times 1,000,000.

Ysiadmihi said:
Depends. Do you like nice things? Would you like to get nice things again?

If the answer is yes and you're abusing the system you're doing what's best for you in the short run, but not in the long run.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Wow I was positive Valve would protect themselves from this kind of abuse.

Foliorum Viridum said:
If there's one company that doesn't fuck consumers it's Valve so doing something to fuck them over is horrible.
And that's the real shame here. A genuine "this is why we can't have nice things" moment.

mil6es

GZ: Does that leave the system open to abuse? Let's say I want to pick up the PC version. Are there any measures stopping me from buying the PS3 version, linking the code to my Steam account, immediately selling back the PS3 game to a store and effectively getting a PC copy for next to nothing?

how does that work??? the PS3 ver is without a doubt gonna be more expensive than the PC ver

YuriLowell said:
I kind of doubt this. 360 will still probably outsell ps3 version even with this bonus.
But whoever is taking the trade-ins won't want a bunch of second-hand games they can't sell. I've seen them block stuff like this before (when some other retailer has a ridiculously low-priced sale for a game or something).

They'd be smart to do so.

Jive Turkey said:
People are never happy.

Add a DRM to prevent resale: FUCK YOU VALVE FOR DEVALUING THE GAME!

Add no DRM to prevent backlash: FUCK YOU VALVE FOR DEVALUING THE GAME!

YuriLowell said:

But retailers should know in advance that they are going to get fucked on the PS3 version with trades. A "no-accept" policy might be a little harsh to people who want to genuinely get rid of their copy, so I expect a $10 trade-in value.

shagg_187 said:
People are never happy.

Add a DRM to prevent resale: FUCK YOU VALVE FOR DEVALUING THE GAME!

Add no DRM to prevent backlash: FUCK YOU VALVE FOR DEVALUING THE GAME!

I don't think anyone is saying your second statement. More like "Fuck you" anyone who takes advantage of this.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Foliorum Viridum said:
I think there is when Valve is doing so much pro-consumer stuff with this release already.

This isn't so much of a pro-consumer thing as it is more of a fuck you to Microsoft (which I'm more than fine with) and a way to promote Steam. Let's not delude ourselves here.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Jive Turkey said:

It's kind of nice to have a publisher adding value to their game, not reducing it and charging the same amount like most other pubs.

This promotes Steam for them. They aren't going to get bones by the few who try to abuse it.

JackEtc

So if my friend was to buy Portal 2 for PS3, he could just give me the code, or would my Steam account have to be linked to his PSN?

Ysiadmihi said:
This isn't so much of a pro-consumer thing as it is more of a fuck you to Microsoft (which I'm more than fine with) and a way to promote Steam. Let's not delude ourselves here.
Of course it's fucking pro-consumer. If Microsoft opened up their system I'm positive that this would be a feature on both versions of the game.

After everything Valve has done with this game, Steam, etc etc, do you really think they're not a pro-consumer company? Really?

Whatever helps you sleep at night, buddy.

DoctorWho said:
But retailers should know in advance that they are going to get fucked on the PS3 version with trades. A "no-accept" policy might be a little harsh to people who want to genuinely get rid of their copy, so I expect a $10 trade-in value.

I bet you I can walk into gamestop and trade this thing in for 30 dollars in credit the day it comes out.

This is not going to be as big as you think.

you need to activate the code within the game. So you cant Really trade codes.

And it won't be that bad. I doubt people will get that much for trading it in. Stores will already have realised that its not as good a deal to buy preowned.

Facism

A man beating his wife is abuse. Reselling a game is a consumer right. Some of you don't have bills to pay or something?

[edit] i should say that i'll be keeping my copy to coop with my brother. I'll use the pc and he'll use the ps3.

Angst

KingDizzi said:
Oh my the number of used PS3 copies there will be of this game within a week shall be amazing.
Yes, because stores will happily give you lots of money for a game they will have a hard time selling.

SMH

gofreak said:
So I guess you could co-op with someone 'locally' using your PC and PS3 from one copy..? That was one of the big questions, I didn't think they would allow it.
i hoped they would, but didn't expect it.

this is EXACTLY how i hoped it would be... so i'm pleased as punch. i will be playing Portal 2 co-op on two screens with my one purchase.

thank you valve. you guys can be incredibly generous sometimes and i will continue to reward you for it.

Kuraudo

Banned
Can someone explain to me how buying a copy of Valve's game is "fucking them over"?

I don't plan to do it (no real interest on playing this on my laptop), but I'm genuinely interested in the logic behind this.

MrPliskin

Banned
What I don't understand is how people plan to "save money" on this.

$60 (Portal PS3)
-$20 (Likely GS Trade in Value for Cash)
$40 Net Cost

...can't you just buy the PC version almost that cheap w/preorder?

Kuraudo said:
Can someone explain to me how buying a copy of Valve's game is "fucking them over"?

I don't plan to do it (no real interest on playing this on my laptop), but I'm genuinely interested in the logic behind this.

Buy PS3 version, get PC version, sell PS3 version to gamestop (or somewhere else). When that copy is resold as used, valve gets none of that money. This potentially puts considerably more used PS3 copies on the market, which potentially means Valve can lose some money, while Gamestop makes some (which sucks balls).

So in a sense, Valve rewards consumer with free PC copy, Consumer sells copy to GameStop, and GameStop says "fuck you consumer" and sells it for $54.99 even though they just bought it from you for $20. So you take from a pro-consumer developer, and give to an anti-consumer retail outlet. Sense this does not make.

Top Bottom