• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal 2 on PS3: Redeemable Steam Play copy explained

glaurung

Since I will be getting both the Steam PC version (pre-load complete already) and the PS3 copy some time later on, does this mean I will have two copies of the game and I can gift one away?

Angst

Facism said:
A man beating his wife is abuse. Reselling a game is a consumer right. Some of you don't have bills to pay or something?
sure, but 35 bucks +- won't make any difference. (to me, I understand things can be tougher when you're younger etc)

Kuraudo said:
Can someone explain to me how buying a copy of Valve's game is "fucking them over"?

I don't plan to do it (no real interest on playing this on my laptop), but I'm genuinely interested in the logic behind this.
The guy buying your used game instead of a new game is a loss for Valve (or at the least, a missed opportunity for a sale)

epmode

JackEtc said:
So if my friend was to buy Portal 2 for PS3, he could just give me the code, or would my Steam account have to be linked to his PSN?
As the OP mentions, you have to link a PSN account with a Steam account before you can play co-op. You can probably get his PC version so long as you provide your Steam credentials when he signs up. But I seriously doubt that you'll both be able to play the game at the same time.

Jive Turkey said:
Wow I was positive Valve would protect themselves from this kind of abuse.

This is just an elaborate trap to get people using Steam. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a mini-sale next week.

Valve wants to get people hooked on that crack.

JackEtc

epmode said:
As the OP mentions, you have to link a PSN account with a Steam account before you can play co-op. You can probably get his PC version so long as you provide your Steam credentials when he signs up. But I seriously doubt that you'll both be able to play the game at the same time.

Damn, guess I'll be waiting until June or July to play Portal 2 :(

Facism said:
A man beating his wife is abuse. Reselling a game is a consumer right. Some of you don't have bills to pay or something?
I'm a big consumer rights proponent but reselling a game and keeping it at the same time is more piracy than anything else.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Foliorum Viridum said:
Of course it's fucking pro-consumer. If Microsoft opened up their system I'm positive that this would be a feature on both versions of the game.

The only reason why this has happened in the first place is because the 360 is so closed.

Foliorum Viridum said:
After everything Valve has done with this game, Steam, etc etc, do you really think they're not a pro-consumer company? Really?

How is any of this pro-consumer outside of the fact that PC gamers can get a free/very cheap version of the game, which you're saying nobody should take advantage of?

If Valve wants to be pro-consumer in my eyes they can stop making games like Portal and L4D and get back to work on PC-focused games.

Siegfried

Great, I'll buy it on the ps3, link to my PC steam account, sell the game, buy the 360 version and play this one because of the achievements.

Akkad

Banned
Facism said:

[edit] i should say that i'll be keeping my copy to coop with my brother. I'll use the pc and he'll use the ps3.

If money is that tight then use it to pay bills, not buy video games.

Shurs

MrPliskin said:
What I don't understand is how people plan to "save money" on this.

$60 (Portal PS3)
-$20 (Likely GS Trade in Value for Cash)
$40 Net Cost

...can't you just buy the PC version almost that cheap w/preorder?

I'm not trading it in, but I'm getting the game from Amazon for, essentially, $36.

Jive Turkey said:
Wow I was positive Valve would protect themselves from this kind of abuse.

And that's the real shame here. A genuine "this is why we can't have nice things" moment.
how are valve getting abused here? people are still going to be playing their game, and it isn't their money that's buying back the used copies.

this will devalue what gamestop buy the game back for, but it's not going to devalue what they sell it for nearly as much since the PS3 version doesn't get remotely nerfed (you just lose the PC bonus), so it's not going to lead to many MORE used sales than would have happened without this bonus.

Valve will be netting themself more new purchases than they would have received otherwise without the free PC version. that's all.

you want to talk about a version being devalued, it's the 360 version... but that's a different story.

Angst

Ysiadmihi said:
The only reason why this has happened in the first place is because the 360 is so closed.

How is any of this pro-consumer outside of the fact that PC gamers can get a free/very cheap version of the game, which you're saying nobody should take advantage of?

If Valve wants to be pro-consumer in my eyes they can stop making games like Portal and L4D and get back to work on PC-focused games.
What?

What kind of games would you like them to make?

Donos

toasty_T said:
This is just an elaborate trap to get people using Steam. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a mini-sale next week.

Valve wants to get people hooked on that crack.

i bet there is a TF2/Orange Pack sale around this time. once people new to steam find out about hats in TF2 ... they are doomed.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
plagiarize said:
i hoped they would, but didn't expect it.

this is EXACTLY how i hoped it would be... so i'm pleased as punch. i will be playing Portal 2 co-op on two screens with my one purchase.

thank you valve. you guys can be incredibly generous sometimes and i will continue to reward you for it.

Thinking about it may depend on whether you can then decouple your PS3 from your Steam account though, so it lets you set up a different account or not use a full one. Perhaps deleting the game data will do that, but they may have a more sophisticated system for tying the steam account to that PS3 thereafter so you can't use the PS3 you redeemed on simultaneous with your PC.

Kuraudo

Banned
Angst said:
The guy buying your used game instead of a new game is a loss for Valve (or at the least, a missed opportunity for a sale)

The guy who buys games used will buy it used regardless of the reason it was traded in. There would be used copies available the week of release even without this feature.

Angst

YuriLowell said:
Episode 3.
Ehhhh. If you think that will be PC exclusive you need to wake up.

I want Episode 3 as much as the next guy, but to call the Half Life series PC-centric games isn't true at all.

Half-Life 1 - PC, PS2, Dreamcast, Xbox (?)
Half-Life 2 - PC, PS3, 360

BeeDog

This game is enticing as hell now that I've called off my plan to buy SOCOM. But since the pre-order bonuses are weak this time around, I think I can hold off for a bit before purchasing. :p When can we expect to see reviews?

Ysiadmihi said:

If Valve had a way to get this on 360 as well as PS3 do you seriously believe they wouldn't've done it? This isn't some anti-Microsoft move, it's just an attempt to further the Steam platform and open up consoles in the process. Sony were smart enough to go for it, Microsoft weren't.

Pro-consumer:
- Pay for one, get two copies of the game.
- Cross platform play so you can play with a friend that doesn't own your system.

Name any of games that do anything like that? You don't have to abuse it to get the pro-consumer aspects out of the deal. Of course Valve are also doing this to further the Steam brand but that doesn't take away from the fact they're being overly generous.

As for the Portal and L4D comment I don't even know where to begin. I guess you hate fun/great games. They're two of the best PC games released in recent years so I don't think you have any right to comment on "PC-focused" games there.

Edit:
YuriLowell said:
Episode 3.
Ha. Yeah cos that won't make it to consoles ala The Orange Box at all. Wake up, dude. HL2 + Eps were all on consoles and Ep 2 was definitely designed with consoles in mind. Guess what? It was still their best game to date.

JackEtc said:
So if my friend was to buy Portal 2 for PS3, he could just give me the code, or would my Steam account have to be linked to his PSN?

This could be possible:
Your friend buys the PS3 version, but doesnt redeem the code. You create a new PSN account and link it to your Steam account. You redeem the code and obtain the PC version.

Angst said:

I want Episode 3 as much as the next guy, but to call the Half Life series PC-centric games isn't true at all.

you forget the shitty Half Life 2 xbox port.

They are on console, but they are PC games first and foremost.

Agent White said:
1. you need to have a ps3

2. so basically pc gamers are planning to screw valve
more like planning to screw gamestop.

if you want the PC version of Portal 2 you have to buy the game new, either on PS3 or on PC. Valve probably make about equal money on a PC and a PS3 copy bought at retail.

the PC owner has to buy the game new. Valve get that money. if a PC owner bought just the PC version they can't resell it, but Valve wouldn't have made that money anyway.

it won't be in Gamestop's interest to sell their used copies of Portal 2 at a low low price. Valve may lose some new PS3 sales as a result of their being more used copies available earlier on, but it's arguably going to be small compared to the people who choose to buy new over used to get the PC bonus.

whichever ends up being bigger they're going to be similar orders of magnitude i'm sure.

and anyway, a lot of people are going to buy the PS3 version now in order to be able to play co-op between their PS3 and PC. that's the added value of the PS3 version, and if you own both, i think it's probably worth keeping the PS3 version to have that option.

i'm sure a lot of other people will feel the same way.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Angst said:

To be fair, the console versions came out only year(s) after the PC versions...

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
JaseC said:
GZ: Does that leave the system open to abuse? Let's say I want to pick up the PC version. Are there any measures stopping me from buying the PS3 version, linking the code to my Steam account, immediately selling back the PS3 game to a store and effectively getting a PC copy for next to nothing?

JB: No, I don't think there's anything that would prevent that. We're willing to take the risk that someone might jump through all those hoops to create what we think is a really compelling feature that people are going to like.

34fn1ab.jpg

Angst said:

Episode 2 debuted on The Orange Box, so development of that was a 360/PC thing from the start, pretty much.

Like I said in my above post, Ep 2 turned out to be their best game, so he's talking bollocks.

JackEtc

OmegaDragon said:
This could be possible:
Your friend buys the PS3 version, but doesnt redeem the code. You create a new PSN account and link it to your Steam account. You redeem the code and obtain the PC version.
Good idea. I'm sure the day it comes out someone will already have a tutorial out on how to do this. I'd like to support Valve, but I have no source of income right now. Gotta get my Portal fix :/

I guess it all depends on how many people actually do this. and how many actually got it through amazon because thats the best deal you can get.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
badcrumble said:
Good for them for having faith in the consumer, but I have a bad feeling Valve's gonna get fucked by a bunch of cheapskates on this one.
If they can get the sale on that platform then I think it's a win. They could be tight about it and tie each code to the disc, which I would not be too upset about with a game like Portal. They are giving you 3 copies for the price of 1 here. I want to see this happen more on PS3.

KingDizzi said:
Oh my the number of used PS3 copies there will be of this game within a week shall be amazing.
You're assuming most of them actually have PSN friends or just don't have a good PC. I'm pretty sure the majority of in-store pick ups are from more casual fans not caring about all this.

duckroll

Is the PS3 version going to support cloud saves? Could I technically play the game on both PC and PS3 if I get the PS3 version, whenever I feel like, without losing any progress?

Carl

gofreak said:
Thinking about it may depend on whether you can then decouple your PS3 from your Steam account though, so it lets you set up a different account or not use a full one. Perhaps deleting the game data will do that, but they may have a more sophisticated system for tying the steam account to that PS3 thereafter so you can't use the PS3 you redeemed on simultaneous with your PC.

Don't you link your PSN to your Steam account? Maybe you could just use a different PSN.. nah that'd be silly.

Please guys don't abuse this. :(

Please?

KingDizzi said:
Oh my the number of used PS3 copies there will be of this game within a week shall be amazing.

Well the majority of the people don't really know how it works. Amirite?

Am i?

Don't worry valve. I'll be buying the PS3 version with all my monies.

Rengoku

I got my PS3 copy preordered for $30, and I don't really plan on selling it, even after I link it up and download the PC version. I do however plan on letting my buddy borrow the PS3 copy so that we can play some co-op... That's sort of a grey area I guess...

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
duckroll said:
Is the PS3 version going to support cloud saves? Could I technically play the game on both PC and PS3 if I get the PS3 version, whenever I feel like, without losing any progress?
I'm not 100% sure of the source, but I think the answer was yes somewhere in the other thread.

sikkinixx

I would never have thought to buy the PS3 version just for the PC version then trading back in... Pretty soon project-$10 is gonna become serialized games to prevent trading in unless you pay publisher MS space bucks to reactivate your game.

glaurung

duckroll said:
That would be mind-bendingly awesome.

But I doubt that it would work like that. Most PS3s ain't online either.

scitek

ashbash159 said:
It's interesting that they don't mind people selling the game after it has been redeemed on Steam.

At least Valve are nice. If I were to buy the PS3 copy I wouldn't like to disrespect Valve by selling the PS3 version.
Oh, they mind it. They just have to trust it won't happen too much. I doubt it will, to be honest. I could easily do it, but I'm paying for the game instead...later on.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Ysiadmihi said:
I have no interest in Portal 2 so I won't be "abusing" this, but Valve is just openly inviting it. There's nothing wrong with the consumer doing what's best for themselves.

I think it's right. Also devs and publishers might do what's best for themselves and fuck consumers in the ass with online passes and so on until it bleeds.

Kyoufu

Some people make me sad when they talk about abusing this. Seriously, this sort of feature is exactly what this gen needs after all the bullshit of on-disc DLCs, pre-order exclusives etc.

duckroll said:
Yes, Yes and Yes!

Source of confirmation: Latest Qore episode.

duckroll said:
Yes. That's part of the Steamworks package.

Top Bottom