• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal 2 on PS3: Redeemable Steam Play copy explained

kai3345

Banned
I heard somewhere that I could play on the PS3 version, and then using the steam cloud, go to my PC and continue my save on there. Is this true?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Siegfried said:
Nope, I'm not. I'll just get the 360 version. I don't care about the ps3 version and I'll probably get the game on steam 1 year later when it's cheap on sale so I have motivation for a second playthrough.

Of course I'll only do that if it turns out to be great like the first one.
You're doing enough by supporting them so in the end you will be fine.

Pikelet

I could say that i bought my copy on Steam to support Valve. I could say that. But the reality is much less altruistic, i did it simply so that i could play it the second it comes out

LiquidMetal14

YuriLowell said:
so because I want to save some money i am bad person.

thanks gaf.
I don't care what you do with it but aren't you at least compelled to try and see how the cross platform chat and co-op work? I guess this kind of cool stuff is only to exploit. That's how I would see it as you haven't exactly elaborated more on your decision to do this other than to be cheap. And no, I'm not being harsh but I'm merely reading and that's what I get out of it. Even if I sell it down the line, I'm excited to try the stuff Valve is putting on PS3 because something like this hasn't been done before to this extent.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Isn't the PS3 version more expensive than the PC version? So, uhh, people reselling their PS3 copies doesn't affect Valve in any way. It's like they are paying more for the PC version. Valve knows what they are doing.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Pikelet said:
I could say that i bought my copy on Steam to support Valve. I could say that. But the reality is much less altruistic, i did it simply so that i could play it the second it comes out
Pretty much this. No way in hell could I ever wait for a copy to ship to me. Especially since the ARG is hinting at a wayyy early release.

hiryu

Hah at people getting outraged at people wanting to trade in the PS3 version. This is clearly Valve's goal to spread Steam and they are willing to take a bite in the ass on sales to do it.

This is not much different than those online codes that EA uses and I don't see anyone acting all outraged at people trading those games in after using the code.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Shed_a_Ninja said:
Isn't the PS3 version more expensive than the PC version? So, uhh, people reselling their PS3 copies doesn't affect Valve in any way. It's like they are paying more for the PC version. Valve knows what they are doing.

Yes. $60 vs $50. However there are numerous deals going on, most notably the $20 amazon gift credit with PS3 version purchase.

LiquidMetal14

JaseC said:
Are you absolutely sure about this? I know the latest Qore episode is more recent, but Valve seemed certain of the following back in January:
That was then. Things can change. I know the feature is in as on the PS3 side but not sure about the cross platform back and forth part.

Xater

JaseC said:
Are you absolutely sure about this? I know the latest Qore episode is more recent, but Valve seemed certain of the following back in January:

And I seriously doubt fucking Qore got some exclusive scoop here that was mentioned nowhere else.

JaseC said:
Yeah I already stated that I misunderstood their statement. They mentioned somewhere in the lines of how you can play on PS3 and when you're on the go you can continue off on your laptop. I did read that they're keeping the options open and might implement it in future. Again, I can be wrong.

NeoandGeo

Banned
MrPliskin said:
Well, looks like you cheap good for nothings can hustle your way out of a few cases of mountain dew for Portal 2. Put on your Costanza hats and ruin it for us all! :)

george_costanza030.gif

I can see used pricing acquired from Gamestop to reach 2 year old Madden levels within a week. Haha

Owensboro

YuriLowell said:

thanks gaf.

Wanting to save money does not make you a bad person. It's when you take advantage of a system set up in good faith that I have a problem with it. If to many people abuse it, it won't exist in the future. That saddens me.

RealMeat

Banned
Honestly, I think valve is far more interested in getting PS3 players to sign up for steam than they care about PS3 sales. They make far more money off steam than they do selling their games on consoles, and if this gets some people to switch it will be worth some lost sales due to excess PS3 used copies (which will still need a steam account). Remember, they gave Portal 1 away for free to kick off steam on Mac.

Cross-platform-progress (?) between PS3 and PC/Mac is basically the only thing missing now. I'm pretty sure we'll see this in future valve games though.

So the following stuff is confirmed?

PS3 version:
-includes PC/Mac version
- you buy the game once, but you can play it on PS3 and PC(or MAC), even at the same time. This includes (free) local/online coop (also, in the console version you can play local coop via splitscreen)
- uses Steamworks (= should have the same content, patches etc. as the PC version). Steamworks features include also cloud saving (but not yet across platforms).

Interfectum

YuriLowell said:

thanks gaf.

No, you are a douche for abusing a pro-consumer perk.

Because of people like you is the exact reason why this stuff doesn't happen more often.

shagg_187 said:
P.S. Don't give me 'I got kids to feed' bullshit. I hope Gamestop prevent themselves from accepting trade-in for PS3 copy.

Rumor has it that they already are because they think the game can't be played unless it has a voucher.

YuriLowell said:

thanks gaf.
Scalpers also want to save money. I guess we should love them as well. If you really want to save money: buy it in Christmas sale.

But hey, your choice since you have kids to feed.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Shed_a_Ninja said:
Rumor has it that they already are because they think the game can't be played unless it has a voucher.

According to the interview in the OP the PS3 version can be played just fine. People who buy it used will only be losing out on the PC copy.

kai3345 said:
I heard somewhere that I could play on the PS3 version, and then using the steam cloud, go to my PC and continue my save on there. Is this true?

Portal 2 supports cloud saves for PS3 and PC. But they are NOT cross-platform. You can not continue your play session on another platform. The saves for each separate platform will be saved in the cloud, but they can't talk to each other.

LiquidMetal14

Xater said:
And I seriously doubt fucking Qore got some exclusive scoop here that was mentioned nowhere else.
Yes, true. Again, they said that a couple months ago. Things change.

SolidusDave said:
Cross-platform-progress (?) between PS3 and PC/Mac is basically the only thing missing now. I'm pretty sure we'll see this in future valve games though.

So the following stuff is confirmed?

PS3 version:
-includes PC/Mac version
- you buy the game once, but you can play it on PS3 and PC(or MAC), even at the same time. This includes (free) local/online coop (also, in the console version you can play local coop via splitscreen)
- uses Steamworks (= should have the same content, patches etc. as the PC version). Steamworks features include also cloud saving (but not yet across platforms).
You can play co op cross platform no?

Vinterbird said:
Portal 2 supports cloud saves for PS3 and PC. But they are NOT cross-platform. You can not continue your play session on another platform. The saves for each separate platform will be saved in the cloud, but they can't talk to each other.
They said this a couple months ago though so wait until release to see if it works.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
LiquidMetal14 said:
That was then. Things can change. I know the feature is in as on the PS3 side but not sure about the cross platform back and forth part.

Well, duh. That's why I asked if he was sure and added the qualifier. :p

Xater said:

It wouldn't surprise me given Steamworks on the PS3 is a big deal and Qore is Sony's show.

shagg_187 said:
Yeah I already stated that I misunderstood their statement. They mentioned somewhere in the lines of how you can play on PS3 and when you're on the go you can continue off on your laptop. I did read that they're keeping the options open and might implement it in future. Again, I can be wrong.

Fair enough. From the sound of it, you are correct.

LiquidMetal14 said:

Indeed. Mac/PC/PS3.

McLovin

Valve has done right by the PC crowd so hopefully people exploiting this will be limited to just the jerks that refuse to pay for their games. I already pre-ordered so I did my part :)

You people ought to go work in retail at least once in your lives to understand how this works. Valve is not going to be negatively affected by this. They get initial sales of the PS3 version; GameStop deems such version as "useless" and doesn't accept trade-ins of it.

The only people who will be able to sell their PS3 versions are sellers on eBay, and your typical internet prowler knows that it will be completely useless unless it is brand spanking new and sealed. If a sucker buys it anyway? Oh well, it's like buying a broken used toaster or something.

The original manufacturer doesn't get money from you reselling the item that you bought from a retailer; and they don't give a shit because the retailers already gave them the money for the product that got sold to you.

This thread is indeed a carnival of stupid.

Angst

Smeghead said:
So people who genuinely want to play the PS3 copy are better off buying a second hand copy for cheaper, and since there will be shit loads floating in the market, this will dilute the price of it.

The condition will pretty much be brand new also since PC users will put it on ebay or whatever straight away.
Nice, you found an even shittier way to get the game. :p

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Shed_a_Ninja said:
You people ought to go work in retail at least once in your lives to understand how this works. Valve is not going to be negatively affected by this. They get initial sales of the PS3 version; GameStop deems such version as "useless" and doesn't accept trade-ins of it.

The only people who will be able to sell their PS3 versions are sellers on eBay, and your typical internet prowler knows that it will be completely useless unless it is brand spanking new and sealed. If a sucker buys it anyway? Oh well, it's like buying a broken used toaster or something.

The original manufacturer doesn't get money from you reselling the item that you bought from a retailer; and they don't give a shit because the retailers already gave them the money for the product that got sold to you.

PS3 version is fully functional. If you buy it used, the only thing missing is the PC copy.

Shurs

NeoandGeo said:
I can see used pricing acquired from Gamestop to reach 2 year old Madden levels within a week. Haha

Shed_a_Ninja said:

A used copy of Portal 2 on PS3 holds the same value to consumers that a used copy of the Xbox 360 version does.

Sure, there will be more trade-ins of the PS3 version, but it's not like everyone is going to be trading in their copies.

LiquidMetal14

The main arguments are to the ones who will buy this just to sell it instead of actually trying the cool features that are never done (like cross platform play/chat).

SlayrUK

Shed_a_Ninja said:

Yes and most of us understand that, but for someone wanting just a PS3 copy of the game (like myself because I only have a 2 year old laptop and it certainly can't run games!) I'd be better off waiting and buying a cheaper '2nd hand' copy that someone has traded back in without playing.

Therefore Valve lose a sale from me that they would have otherwise gotten.

Edit: oh yeh, you seem to be saying game can't be played on PS3 without code, which is incorrect.

JaseC said:
Well, duh. That's why I asked if he was sure and added the qualifier. :p

It wouldn't surprise me given Steamworks on the PS3 is a big deal and Qore is Sony's show.

Fair enough. From the sound of it, you are correct.

Indeed. Mac/PC/PS3.
I just rewarched Qore episode and holy shit it's like a lucid dream. They talk about cross-platforming but not cross-platform cloud saving. :/

NeoandGeo

Banned
LiquidMetal14 said:
Yes, true. Again, they said that a couple months ago. Things change.

They said this a couple months ago though so wait until release to see if it works.

I bet a big reason this isn't possible is the achievements/trophies would get jacked up if you allowed this.

DrForester said:
According to the interview in the OP the PS3 version can be played just fine. People who buy it used will only be losing out on the PC copy.

alr1ghtstart said:
um, the OP disagrees with you.

Let me rephrase my statement:

"Despite Valve stating the game can be played perfectly fine without the PC voucher which is inside brand spanking new copies, rumor has it that GameStop will not be accepting trade-ins of the PS3 version anyway due to them believing that it will be useless to their used-buyers customers without the voucher ala Phantasy Star Online and the like."

Better?

Ysiadmihi

Banned
LiquidMetal14 said:
The main arguments are to the ones who will buy this just to sell it instead of actually trying the cool features that are never done (like cross platform play/chat).

Yeah I really want Valve designing games around cross platform play. Hopefully Counter-Strike 2 will have recharging health, iron sights and a hefty amount of auto-aim to boot.

chewydogg

Edit: oh yeh, you seem to be saying game can't be played on PS3 without code, which is incorrect.

They are willing to take that hit to get more Steam users who will hopefully start buying games from them...

Ysiadmihi said:
Yeah I really want Valve designing games around cross platform play. Hopefully Counter-Strike 2 will have recharging health, iron sights and a hefty amount of auto-aim to boot.

subtle.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
SlayrUK said:
Yes and most of us understand that, but for someone wanting just a PS3 copy of the game (like myself because I only have a 2 year old laptop and it certainly can't run games!) I'd be better off waiting and buying a cheaper '2nd hand' copy that someone has traded back in without playing.

Valve gets 0$ from the used copy you buy. To them you might as well not have bought the game.

YuriLowell said:
Valve didn't set up that system to be pro consumer. It feels more like a fuck you to microsoft.
Err, you realize it can be both of those at the same time right?

Detox

Ysiadmihi said:
None of these have anything to do with cross-platform play. L4D uses exactly the same gameplay mechanics on PC and 360. Apart from MS there is nothing stopping cross platform play on official maps.

Shurs

Shed_a_Ninja said:
Let me rephrase my statement:

"Despite Valve stating the game can be played perfectly fine without the PC voucher which is inside brand spanking new copies, rumor has it that GameStop will not be accepting trade-ins of the PS3 version anyway due to them believing that it will be useless to their used-buyers customers without the voucher ala Phantasy Star Online and the like."

Better?

Why would it be considered useless?

Top Bottom