• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Helldivers 2 was delisted by Sony, not Steam, Valve rep says

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
In one response, a player was told that the game was pulled from "specific regions" "as decided by the publisher", and Steam did not know "when the game might be made available in those countries". Players were then invited to contact Sony themselves to "share [their] feedback" if they had any further questions.

As for why three additional regions have been added to the restriction, even though Sony has reversed the decision to compel players to connect to a PSN account? Apparently, that's to do with a similar delisting strategy for the upcoming Ghost of Tsushima Director's Cut, for which Steam has taken the unprecedented action of auto-refunding players who bought it in countries where PSN isn't available.

According to Helldivers 2 creative director and Arrowhead CEO, Johan Pilestedt, that was an "administrative error correction".

"So, to give an update on the three further country restrictions. It was an administrative error correction - they should have been part of the original restriction and it was noticed when the restriction was put in place for Tsushima," Pilestedt explained on Discord. "This was noticed and executed by Valve.

Hardensoul

Gold Member
So, is this more confirmation that Sony will still require PSN for their games on PC? Hell Divers 2 still has wording information on requiring PSN(if gone please correct me).

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
For now you don't need an account on HD2. But it seems very likely that Sony is going to open up an PC exclusive storefront and maybe require PS+ for MP in their games.
Good luck with that if they decide to go that way.

Didn't turn out too good for Epic, nor Origin, nor Uplay... And those didn't ask for extra money to play mp.

feynoob

For now you don't need an account on HD2. But it seems very likely that Sony is going to open up an PC exclusive storefront and maybe require PS+ for MP in their games.
They won't. They can't get the userbase needed to buy those games.

Their current strategy is to piss of steam people slowly and lose money in the process so they can appease their shareholders with MAU numbers.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
So, is this more confirmation that Sony will still require PSN for their games on PC? Hell Divers 2 still has wording information on requiring PSN(if gone please correct me).
Yes they are essentially doubling down on their Live Service future using PSN as their medium in the future.

Gamers generally don't put up with EPIC so I doubt they will put up with PSN for long.

I guess making their big games being PSN exclusive(and in effect they exclude a huge number of countries that don't have it) is their answer to Gamepass and Nintendo Switch Online?

I dunno I feel like if I wasn't a PC gamer this would probably push me to go PC sooner then later?

Just shows that after Helldivers 2 they didn't learn their lesson or already had these plans set in stone and are going to commit to it.

Although the upcoming dumpster fire of delisting Ghosts of Tsushima from even Japan among 176 other countries is just irony at it's finest.

feynoob

Yes they are essentially doubling down on their Live Service future using PSN as their medium in the future.

Gamers generally don't put up with EPIC so I doubt they will put up with PSN for long.

I guess making their big games being PSN exclusive(and in effect they exclude a huge number of countries that don't have it) is their answer to Gamepass and Nintendo Switch Online?

I dunno I feel like if I wasn't a PC gamer this would probably push me to go PC sooner then later?

Just shows that after Helldivers 2 they didn't learn their lesson or already had these plans set in stone and are going to commit to it.

Although the upcoming dumpster fire of delisting Ghosts of Tsushima from even Japan among 176 other countries is just irony at it's finest.
Sony forgot that ships sail differently on PC.

Sonik

Stellar Blade releases having one of its main marketing gimmicks that it's uncensored, very good impressions and momentum, then the California Sony brainlets censor it, people get pissed off and it loses any momentum it had

HellDivers 2 releases with excellent fan impressions, starts building humongous momentum, Sony imbeciles impose PSN account, ban regions and so on

Are these goddamn morons determined to ruin every fucking game they release now?

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Which would only encourage them to not release on PC...
Then they would have exclusive games you can't get anywhere else which would give gamers incentive to support Playstation consoles more. In a similar vein to Nintendo. I'd much rather see exclusive games only on one console instead of the timed exclusivity nonsense.

And it would seem they shortly relisted Japan as one of the countries that can purchase GoT. But the fact they delisted it in the first place is so funny to me. Can you imagine a game set in Japan delisted from Japan itself. Unbelievable that even happened.

nial

And it would seem they shortly relisted Japan as one of the countries that can purchase GoT. But the fact they delisted it in the first place is so funny to me. Can you imagine a game set in Japan delisted from Japan itself. Unbelievable that even happened.
No, it's not, it's an American-developed game. It was obviously a mistake due to the different Japanese SKU.

feynoob

Stellar Blade releases having one of its main marketing gimmicks that it's uncensored, very good impressions and momentum, then the California Sony brainlets censor it, people get pissed off and it loses any momentum it had

HellDivers 2 releases with excellent fan impressions, starts building humongous momentum, Sony imbeciles impose PSN account, ban regions and so on

Are these goddamn morons determined to ruin every fucking game they release now?
No, they are being led by financial advisor now.

The old Sony is gone. New Sony wants green paper.
spongebob squarepants interview GIF

poodaddy

Course they can. I feel like the Steam Only thing is overrated.

Now Requiring PS+ is a different story but it is kind of "unfair" that they charge MP on console but not on PC.
I hope you'll stand by these words and be ready to eat crow when the PSN storefront, if it ever should come to pass, inevitably fails.

S0ULZB0URNE

Hopefully as I want my PlayStation friend list visible along with party chat etc.

Red5

Course they can. I feel like the Steam Only thing is overrated.

Now Requiring PS+ is a different story but it is kind of "unfair" that they charge MP on console but not on PC.

Epic has yet to turn a profit from its Gamestore after all these years and buying up exclusives left and right, a Sony exclusive store would fare much much worse.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Why Sony doesn't support certain countries with PSN?

Probably regulatory reasons. Legislation like GDPR demands a bunch of things from anyone who collects and stores data. There are also situations where restricted are imposed due to politics, like for instance restrictions on selling in Russia following the invasion of Ukraine.

NeoLed

reProbably regulatory reasons. Legislation like GDPR demands a bunch of things from anyone who collects and stores data. There are also situations where restricted are imposed due to politics, like for instance restrictions on selling in Russia following the invasion of Ukraine.
Or there are only a handful people residing in those countries that might have access to gaming/PS so Sony didn't consider they're profitable. Eh, what I'm kidding, they're charity organization, they will support soon

BlackTron

Then they would have exclusive games you can't get anywhere else which would give gamers incentive to support Playstation consoles more. In a similar vein to Nintendo. I'd much rather see exclusive games only on one console instead of the timed exclusivity nonsense.

It would be incredible for Sony to be fenced into a strategy of self-interest that protects their brand, by pirates. lol

Sonik

No, they are being led by financial advisor now.

The old Sony is gone. New Sony wants green paper.
spongebob squarepants interview GIF

And by financial advisor you mean some Wall Street dipshit, right? Everything Wall Street touches turns to shit so I wouldn't be surprised

Hudo

I fucking swear to god, is this Sony's first published game or something? The fuck is happening over there?

It may be a very anti-consumer move, but it makes logical sense. Sony doesn't just want software sales on PC. They want PC gamers in the PSN ecosystem, subscribing to PS+, engaging with trophies, leaderboards, communities, etc. They're trying to erode the differences between playing on PS and playing on PC.

It's very natural for PC players to push back against this. If they wanted to be in the PS ecosystem, they'd be playing on PS5. Sony's strategy is likely to try and "force" the issue by making their games "must play" quality and using the carrot and stick approach. As some have said, that could possibly lead to piracy of Sony's games becoming more of a thing. That happening will prompt Sony to unleash more DRM on PC, which leads to more piracy, which could lead to Sony deciding to pull back from the PC market. It all becomes like an ouroboros.

I get what Sony's trying to do and it makes perfect sense to me. But I don't think it's a pro-consumer move and there's a very significant chance it hurts them more than helps them. Then again, if they implement PSN on PC and are willing to give out digital PC copies of their games to accounts that already have a digital license on PS, that would be a big positive IMO. Making games cross-buy across PS and PC would be a very pro-consumer move, and asking people to simply link a PSN account to do that seems very reasonable. But they need to get on that. Somebody needs to have Mary Poppins pay a call on Sony to remind them that a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down!

cJzPrd7.jpeg

DaGwaphics

No chance on the PS+ requirement, PC players simply don't swing that way. Probably a rough go on an exclusive storefront also.

I think they will eventually do a PS PC store, but it will probably be additive for users that may want something like PS+ Extra or something on PC. With the games still being available on Steam. Being exclusive to small stores kills PC releases.

Orbital2060

Seems like Sony are putting the cart before the horse. And trying to push their business to PC without having the necessary service network (Service 3.0 per the Insomniac breach). Those service upgrades should have been implemented before going forward with the PC/Steam push, or they will just transfer all of the issues they have in the console market over to PC. Which is not going to fly with PC folks who are rightfully used to a more open-ended environment with cloud saves, cross-play, cross-buy and even their history of poor security for their customers. They have a lot of work and communication they should have done here, before publishing more day 1 PC titles.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Seems like a nothing burger that's being inflated into something way more than it is for clicks.

Last edited:

FeralEcho

If only they would think further ahead than the next quarterly report.
That's how all these braindead ceos think. That's why we are in this shithole of a landscape in gaming right now.

Seems most ceos get taught to only plan till their next paycheck,never long term which devalues everything they touch with time as there's no work put into their projects,and in time the masses start to notice.Its not immediate which gives these morons the illusion that what they are doing is working when in fact all they are doing is riding on the loyalty and renown the company earned in previous generations before they came around to fuck things up.

These worthless sacks of shit then get surprised when their company is in the shitter as they lose the consumer trust.

No chance on the PS+ requirement, PC players simply don't swing that way.

I agree it won't be easy. But it might be that or cancel games with MP on PC to protect the consoles.

IIRC, they only messed with Ghosts' availability and not the other Sony games which are all SP.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

I agree it won't be easy. But it might be that or cancel games with MP on PC to protect the consoles.

IIRC, they only messed with Ghosts' availability and not the other Sony games which are all SP.

The single player games don't require a sub on console or PC.

It's actually the multi-player games where they miss the PS+ subs by allowing players to play on PC.

Last edited:

peter064

Neo Member
Let me rephrase - that they only messed with Ghosts adds credibility to the PS+ idea.
I am skeptical that they will try to add PS+ just because they delisted Ghosts in the regions without it.
With some people that were able to get refunds for Helldivers 2 citing they can't make a PSN account in their country probably had more reason to the delisting in those countries to try and stop some people who would have played the game and try and get a refund citing they sold a game that can't be fully played since PSN is not in their country.

Top Bottom