• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN Hack Update: FAQs in OP, Read before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZZMitch

Fafalada said:
I would consider this(if true) conclusive proof that whoever is behind this was in it for the money and not any BS about crusades or noble goals that everyone including media is trying to sell.

Maybe they were doing it as a crusade... and then they released they could make some money, too :p

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
gofreak said:
Maybe it's just what the bank is saying for convenience's sake, as a quick explanation.
To be fair, I've heard bankers tell me a lot of funny things in the past - including claiming that I received remmitance to my account 4 weeks before it was sent (after admitting to forgetting to inform me 3 weeks after it was ACTUALLY sent).

Maybe they were doing it as a crusade... and then they released they could make some money, too :p
Given the legal implications of the second(and increasing the chances of getting caught), I find that doubtful.

statham

Grampasso said:
Ok, I guess this is important so please mods move it in the op if you must:
I just received an SMS about my credit card (the one linked to PSN) being blocked.
I phoned my bank service number and they confirmed me that it was indeed Sony Network fault because they've been receiving a lot of phone calls about cash flow not being authorized in the last 4 days. Today finally Sony admitted it's because the hacker managed to clone several credit cards (including mine).
The card now has been blocked and a new one has been emitted.
it begins FU SONY

Grampasso

gofreak said:
I find that strange. How would Sony know your card had been cloned?

I mean, per their info, they're not even sure data was taken. I have high doubts Sony is going around 'confirming' or 'admitting' numbers were a) taken and b) cloned at an individual level. Whatever about the former, they've know what to isolate the latter.

Maybe it's just what the bank is saying for convenience's sake, as a quick explanation.
Not mine, my card is registered under the VISA circuit. Sony on 21st alerted all the major circuits about the possible fraud (this the operator told me). So all the cards were being monitored and being blocked as a protection measure if strange cash flows were seen on them (large cash flows, or payments done in improbable places).

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
gofreak said:
exactly.. please don't spread around this FUD and get the panic going again. If you're bank did this that's one thing.. there are probably thousands of banks indirectly linked to this. but then say "this is what my bank did and they said it was sony" and not "they confirmed me that it was indeed Sony Network fault".

Grampasso said:
Not mine, my card is registered under the VISA circuit. Sony on 21st alerted all the major circuits about the possible fraud (this the operator told me). So all the cards were being monitored and being blocked as a protection measure if strange cash flows were seen on them (large cash flows, or payments done in improbable places).
your operator lied to you. my main card is a visa and has had no issues, and I just threw around $1700 on there over the internet a little less than a week ago. Anytime a provider has actually been notified, it has caused headaches for me for a week or two on even $50-100 purchases.

Rebel Leader said:
how about FU TECHNOLOGY!

zCiGD.gif

lol51

Grampasso said:
I just received an SMS about my credit card (the one linked to PSN) being blocked.
I phoned my bank service number and they confirmed me that it was indeed Sony Network fault because they've been receiving a lot of phone calls about cash flow not being authorized in the last 4 days. Today finally Sony admitted it's because the hacker managed to clone several credit cards (including mine).

It really just sounds like your bank is taking precautions.

Grampasso said:
The weird thing is the customer service rep I spoke to yesterday from AmEx didn't know anything about the PSN incident.

Hanmik

Grampasso said:

what bank? what Country? what kind of card?

this just sounds to far fetched..

Grampasso

To whoever is jumping at my posts, I find the jump to be a bit stupid, no offence.
I'm just writing what the operator told me in my phone call, believe it or not.
My CC was indeed blocked and a new one has been emitted free of charge.
The only annoyance for me will be the fact that I won't be able to use a POS or Bankomat until I'll receive the new one.

Italy, FINECO Bank, VISA Circuit.
Happy now? Or is it far too fetched?

Hanmik said:
what bank? what Country? what kind of card?

this just sounds to far fetched..

I think it's believable that banks are blocking cards that had PSN charges as a preventive move. I don't believe Sony told them that cards had been cloned. How would they even know?

Said it before, but I still think it's funny/suspicious that all these claims only started to happen after Sony admitted that data was taken, even though that data was actually taken more then a week before.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Grampasso said:
To whoever is jumping at my posts, I find the jump to be a bit stupid, no offence.
The only annoyance for me will be the fact that I won't be able to use a POS or Bankomat until I'll receive the new one.

we are not doubting this is what your operator said.. and maybe it's just the way you are writing it in english.. but you are coming off as it being fact that cards were compromised, not just "this is what one person who might not know what they are talking about told me"

Metalmurphy said:
I think it's believable that banks are blocking cards that had PSN charges as a preventive move. I don't believe Sony told them that cards had been cloned. How would they even know?

Said it before, but I still think it's funny/suspicious that all these claims only started to happen after Sony admitted that data was taken, even though that data was actually taken more then a week before.

Regardless of the realities, it sounds like the banks are taking no chances at all. The longer Sony stays dark about any updates to the situation, the more these stories will prevail and banks will make their own assessments. Not good at all.

teruterubozu said:
Regardless of the realities, it sounds like the banks are taking no chances at all. The longer Sony stays dark about any updates to the situation, the more these stories will prevail and banks will make their own assessments. Not good at all.
Not really sure what more they have to say.

(Except if the passwords were part of the "unencrypted personal data")

teruterubozu said:
Sony isn't staying dark about the situation, they've told us multiple times that they have no evidence suggesting that CC info has been compromised.

statham

Metalmurphy said:

so should banks be doing this or not? should people with register cards on PSN be changing their cards or not? how safe are we metalmurphy?

The_Darkest_Red said:
Sony isn't staying dark about the situation, they've told us multiple times that they have no evidence suggesting that CC info has been compromised.

Yeah, and that message is really getting across, isn't it? The PR failure is pretty extreme. Like I said, banks seem to be moving forward without Sony's input at this point.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Grampasso said:

Oh this totally makes sense.

Just the bit about 'Sony admitting' your card had been cloned sounds rather imprecise on the part of your bank. Sony has no idea what's going on with your card.

Not jumping on you btw :) I can totally believe you were told that too. Just seems like strange language from the bank.

statham said:
so should banks be doing this or not? should people with register cards on PSN be changing their cards or not? how safe are we metalmurphy?
Banks are doing this probably to cover their own ass. As for should we be doing this? Well, there's no point in taking chances, specially if the alternative is just a small inconvenience.

Personally, I already use virtual visa cards with preset limits for all online purchases, and I do it for this very reason.

Alucrid

Banned
statham said:

You do something. You're fucking Jonathan Statham.

Checked with my bank yesterday (Netherlands) and they knew about the problem. No need to change numbers yet the operator told me, account is being monitored for strange transactions. I use a preset limit card as well. Apparently they have contact with Sony about the issue (as expected).

Let's see how this all pans out at the end of the week.

Just got my e-mail this morning. I already had a new card issued and canceled the old number days ago. Luckily, I only use that password for PSN and the e-mail I used was not the primary one I use on most of my accounts. I think I'll start using an e-mail alias from now on for most accounts so I can just kill it and make a new alias when shit like this happens.

statham

Metalmurphy said:
Banks are doing this probably to cover their own ass. As for should we be doing this? Well, there's no point in taking chances, specially if the alternative is just a small inconvenience.

Personally, I already use virtual visa cards with preset limits for all online purchases, and I do it for this very reason.
so this is a real threat and everyone should take action or they might be fucked.

small inconvenience my ass

Interfectum

Hmmm my credit card shows that I've bought $40 worth of x-rated anime, a rebecca black poster and two gallons of k-y jelly. PSN hack?

Grampasso

borghe said:
we are not doubting this is what your operator said.. and maybe it's just the way you are writing it in english.. but you are coming off as it being fact that cards were compromised, not just "this is what one person who might not know what they are talking about told me"
Well, the operator told me about "Sony Network" before I could hint at Sony myself, so I think they definitely know what's going on. She told me that in the last 4 days they'd had TONS of calls about the same matter and that a lot of CCs had been already blocked. Maybe she made up the fact that Sony told them the cards had been cloned, since it's indeed something that only a bank could know (she was a phone operator after all, so probably she didn't know precisely all the facts but only what they told her).
About the reliability of the operator I can't argue, but what I can tell you is that I have had several CCs in the latest 13 years and NEVER EVER had a problem like this because of my negligence.
The fact that this happened right now makes me point the finger at Sony.

teruterubozu said:
Yeah, and that message is really getting across, isn't it? The PR failure is pretty extreme. Like I said, banks seem to be moving forward without Sony's input at this point.
It probably is getting across, it's just that some banks want to take extra precautions due to the uncertainty. Just because Sony is currently uncertain about whether or not the CC info has been compromised doesn't meant they are hiding what they know from us.

bitoriginal

Interfectum said:
Hmmm my credit card shows that I've bought $40 worth of x-rated anime, a rebecca black poster and two gallons of k-y jelly. PSN hack?

I told you that you'd had too much to drink that night, but you wouldn't listen...

Scenester

the amount of damage control going on in this topic is nothing short of staggering.

people are telling legit sounding stories about their bank/cc company dealings, and 2 posts later someone will jump on their ass calling it out as BS!

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Interfectum said:

Sounds like a normal shopping list for my Friday
, Friday, gotta get down on Friday
night one-man parties

Hanmik

Grampasso said:

sorry did not mean to imply you are lying.. it just sounds like your bank is a bit misninformed. They have no way to know that some cards have been cloned.

Did he mention any reason why he thought that YOUR card was compromised by this sony incident..?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Scenester said:
the amount of damage control going on in this topic is nothing short of staggering.

people are telling legit sounding stories about their bank/cc company dealings, and 2 posts later someone will jump on their ass calling it out as BS!

You should write for Kotaku then.

statham

Interfectum said:
drunking buys? I mean its fun.fun. fun.fun. its friday.

Zoibie

Well, the Cumberland sent a letter saying they were issuing me with a new Card and pin after a "hacking attack on an online service." No great leap to figure out what that is. Although they did say that it's unlikely any fraudulent activity has occurred, so that's good news.

Goddamnit! I'd only just managed to remember my old pin!

The_Darkest_Red said:
It probably is getting across, it's just that some banks want to take extra precautions due to the uncertainty. Just because Sony is currently uncertain about whether or not the CC info has been compromised doesn't meant they are hiding what they know from us.

I don't think it's getting across to the mainstream (banks, media, casuals) at all. That e-mail they sent out to everyone with "we believe that an unauthorized person has obtained the following information that you provided:" has created quite a panic.

Oh, I don't think they are hiding anything. But Sony's uncertainty at this point sounds more dangerous than "knowing and hiding".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom