• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN Hack Update: FAQs in OP, Read before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

statham

Metalmurphy said:
So you think Iraq was responsible for 9/11?
you think geohot was responsible for sonys fuck up?

I'm sayin america/sony went after the wrong country/person sony shouldn't have targeted geohot same as america shouldn't have targeted Iraq.

ZZMitch

Hanmik said:
and becuase Sony hired them, we should blame Sony..? and because Masaru Ibuka started Sony back in 1945 he is basically the one to blame:.?

but I still do not get why people are giving the hackers a freepass in this whole shitty mess.. ?

What the hell are you talking about? Who is Sony?? I am not saying Kaz has failed me personally or anything lol. I am just saying the company as a whole should not be given a free pass because "anything can get hacked!".

And who is giving hackers a free pass?

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
So Sony is Sonic, Hacker is Dr. Robotnik, and we're the Flickies?
Sony is DeDeDe, Hacker is soul sucking and angry eyed Kirby, and we're any food ever.
Sony is a random planet, Hacker is Commander Shepard, and we've just been probed.
Sony is Fallout 3, Hacker is Fallout 3, and we're Fallout 3. No wait, that doesn't make any sense, it's just glitchy.

Random comparisons are fun.

Linkified said:
But we all know that JFK shot JFK

Sorry Red Dwarf reference

It'll drive the conspiracy nuts crazy

Seriously guys, what does this have to do with Iraq and 9/11? Can we please stop with the bad analogies? I'm curious to see how everyone feels about the situation after the most recent Q & A came out because I've been gone from the thread for 15 hours or so.

KenOD said:
So Sony is Sonic, Hacker is Dr. Robotnik, and we're the Flickies?
Sony is DeDeDe, Hacker is soul sucking and angry eyed Kirby, and we're any food ever.
Sony is a random planet, Hacker is Commander Shepard, and we've just been probed.
Sony is Fallout 3, Hacker is Fallout 3, and we're Fallout 3. No wait, that doesn't make any sense, it's just glitchy.

Random comparisons are fun.

I loled

snap0212

Thanks get2sammyb for the clarification. :)

I personally don't blame Sony for being hacked. I will blame them for it in if we get information that Sony just didn't do all they could to protect my data. If there's just one little thing they didn't do right, they deserve to be blamed for it. Hacking is part of the whole and Sony definitely knows that. It's Sony's job to make sure my data doesn't get stolen and they should to the best job they can to achieve this goal. If the hackers were just “too good” and there was no way anyone could have prevented this from happening, Sony is not to be blamed.

What I can blame them for is waiting almost a week before they told us that our data was stolen. I've already mentioned it in this Thread, but I still think their first post should have warned us about the possibility of data being stolen.

I'm not worried about my password or e-mail addresses. I have a separate e-mail address that I only use for the PSN (I have a separate one for every service I use, just in case), and my passwords always look like this "B6[b3@5ci^" (if possible) and I only use them for one thing.

The one thing I want from Sony as soon as possible is the ability to change my user name on the PSN. Charge me a couple of bucks, but let me change my name, please. :)

Hanmik

J Tourettes said:
Who are giving the hackers a free pass? Most posts I've read are angry at the hackers but also angry at Sony for their catalogue of fuck ups. I have no idea why people are so keen to absolve Sony of any blame.

I´m not giving Sony a freepass.. not at all. But as the egocentric person I am, and seeing that the "PSN-affair" hasn´t affected me (other than not being able to acces PSN) bad, YET, then I do not see any reason to get angry over Sony not posting the info about the hacker intrusion, before the 26th. Even though they might have known about it before.
Nothing has happened to my personal data, and my CC details during the time between the 19th. and the 26th. so why should I be pissed at Sony because of that..? And the PSN downtime, I blame that on the hackers.. anon allready brought the system down just over a week prior to this attack..
I just do´n´t see any reason why I (personally) should blame Sony for anything, right know. (If I find out that Sony´s security sucked, then I can start getting pissed. Right now all we have are stupid Internet rumors, and my bad anologies)

Snuggler said:
holy shit YES I got my email

eKRM1.gif

we're in the clear
lol

Wazzim

Banned
HomShaBom said:
Hasn't been a proper investigation? Have you been asleep the past 10 years? There are plenty of studies and investigations that were done.

Once again you keep saying Army. You clearly have not a clue what you're talking about. The US Army is an organization under the DoD. The Army itself had not a damn thing to do with any policy making or actions taken regarding the intelligence dealing with terrorism. If you want to point random fingers while being uninformed, do so at intelligence agencies and the DoD, and atleast you'll look somewhat smart.
The army could've acted too late on what the CIA found out ;)

Hanmik said:
so it was JFK´s own fault he got murdered.. not the guy who shot him..
Wow, what a disgusting comparison. Are you serious? Dude, why not compare it to 9/11 or Fukushima while you're at it. Oh I know, the holocaust is also eligible.

expy

Banned
statham said:
you think geohot was responsible for sonys fuck up?
What fuck up exactly? And actually, George did get the ball rolling.

GavinGT said:
I'm an American and I know nothing about these supposed 11/9 terrorist attacks.
That answers more than one question.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Someone asked me last night why hackers targeted Sony? I tried to think of a solid answer, but I couldn't say, with confidence, anything. Has anyone here or elsewhere been able to provide a convincing argument for the reasons behind this attack? On face value, it just looks like an identity heist and not necessarily a crusade in the name of Geohot.

HomShaBom

Banned
Wazzim said:
No, it could not have. Have you even attempted to pay attention or inform yourself? From my view you're just plain stupid. The entire problem was a lack of information sharing. Agencies were conducting their own operations and collection without passing along what they learned, it was petty turf protection. I'm done with you.

Hanmik

DenogginizerOS said:
Someone asked me last night why hackers targeted Sony? I tried to think of a solid answer, but I couldn't say, with confidence, anything. Has anyone here or elsewhere been able to provide a convincing argument for the reasons behind this attack? On face value, it just looks like an identity heist and not necessarily a crusade in the name of Geohot.

this is not my answer just found it on another forum.. just found it funny..

It is a answer to GEOHOT..

It has EVERYTHING to do with you. YOU were the one who decided to mess with OtherOS. YOU were the one who then bragged about hacking the console through OtherOS.

YOU were the one who then unleashed the console's root key on the internet for the world to see, and for your own egotistical reasons.

Then when the inevitable happened and Sony came after you, Anonymous got involved because of YOU. Then all these other basement-sleeping, milk-drinking and paranoid hackers went after Sony, forging some kind of holy crusade because of YOU.

Zoe

x3sphere said:
Considering Sony left the whole personal data table not encrypted I wouldn't put much faith into the encryption they used for credit cards.

It is completely normal and to be expected that a company will not encrypt your personal data.

FeD.nL

To put it in Stalin's words:

The theft of one mans data is a tragedy. The theft of 77 million is a statistic.

The only one with the power to do something about these kinds of things in the future is you. Yes, you who is reading this post right now and who fills in his phone number, adress, credit card number whenever asked to.

This maybe the 'biggest theft of personal data' to date, but trust me in two years time there will be a bigger one. Just make sure you are not a part of it.

Hanmik said:
this is not my answer just found it on another forum.. just found it funny..

It is a answer to GEOHOT..
The timing is just too close to be a coincidence, in my opinion. I really think whoever did this did it with the intention of getting "revenge" in the name of GeoHot.

FeD.nL said:
To put it in Stalin's words:

The theft of one mans data is a tragedy. The theft of 77 million is a statistic.

The only one with the power to do something about these kinds of things in the future is you. Yes, you who is reading this post right now and who fills in his phone number, adress, credit card number whenever asked to.

This maybe the 'biggest theft of personal data' to date, but trust me in two years time there will be a bigger one. Just make sure you are not a part of it.
And how exactly do you expect me to do that?

Alucrid

Banned
Wazzim said:

Clearly the army should have gone rogue and taken out all the terrorists themselves with their special ops team lead by big boss.

Hmmm, so they knew there was a possible CC breach on the 21th and told Visa. When did they tell the rest of the world? Wasn't it the 26th?

Playing the devil's advocate here, but there's plenty of reasons for such delay.

If VISA/etc were actually informed about the situation, then there's very little customers could have done to protect themselves (as these companies have the best interest in not triggering their own insurances on scams, since they are more or less forced to refund their customers). The "powers that be" were already alerted, and releasing the info to the public could have led to potentially negative consequences. Once the authorities are alerted, everything you do in public is more or less damage control. Going public on Easter could have led to customer panic (and sales loss in a time when money is surely flying out of Sony's pockets already), customer panic over general use of electronic/internet transactions, and also a huge warning sign for whoever was attacking the servers.

It wouldn't be completely unbelievable that upon contacting authorities the position of keeping quite for some time was mutually agreed with by both parties. The last thing a government could want is making people scared of spending money on Easter, after all. We can safely assume Sony contacted authorities well before going public on the hacker attack, and it's remarkable that the information didn't leak from them either.

I wouldn't bet my life on this scenario, but at the same time I'm confident things would have probably evolved in a different way if this happened in a "regular" week.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Linkified said:
But we all know that JFK shot JFK

Sorry Red Dwarf reference

Sort of related, but I've read up a bit on the Olof Palme murder, and two of the most bizarre theories I've read was one where Palme was supposed to have ordered the murder himself because he was suffering from AIDS, and one where the perpetrators were his wife and his son (supposedly his wife, who was walking ahead of Palme, should somehow have managed to shoot him in the back).

VisanidethDM said:
Playing the devil's advocate here, but there's plenty of reasons for such delay.

If VISA/etc were actually informed about the situation, then there's very little customers could have done to protect themselves (as these companies have the best interest in not triggering their own insurances on scams, since they are more or less forced to refund their customers). The "powers that be" were already alerted, and releasing the info to the public could have led to potentially negative consequences. Once the authorities are alerted, everything you do in public is more or less damage control. Going public on Easter could have led to customer panic (and sales loss in a time when money is surely flying out of Sony's pockets already), customer panic over general use of electronic/internet transactions, and also a huge warning sign for whoever was attacking the servers.

It wouldn't be completely unbelievable that upon contacting authorities the position of keeping quite for some time was mutually agreed with by both parties. The last thing a government could want is making people scared of spending money on Easter, after all. We can safely assume Sony contacted authorities well before going public on the hacker attack, and it's remarkable that the information didn't leak from them either.

I wouldn't bet my life on this scenario, but at the same time I'm confident things would have probably evolved in a different way if this happened in a "regular" week.

I highly doubt they were that organized. If anything, they panicked and bickered internally for a few days.

Wazzim

Banned
Alucrid said:
Clearly the army should have gone rogue and taken out all the terrorists themselves with their special ops team lead by big boss.
MGS5

HomShaBom said:
No, it could not have. Have you even attempted to pay attention or inform yourself? From my view you're just plain stupid. The entire problem was a lack of information sharing. Agencies were conducting their own operations and collection without passing along what they learned, it was petty turf protection. I'm done with you.
Thanks for clearing that up but it's still a fail on US's front and that was what my post was essentially about. I hate it when people go like "I'm done with you" without undestanding that I'm actually open to people trying to teach me something.

Grampasso

Ok, I guess this is important so please mods move it in the op if you must:
I just received an SMS about my credit card (the one linked to PSN) being blocked.
I phoned my bank service number and they confirmed me that it was indeed Sony Network fault because they've been receiving a lot of phone calls about cash flow not being authorized in the last 4 days. Today finally Sony admitted it's because the hacker managed to clone several credit cards (including mine).
The card now has been blocked and a new one has been emitted.

Shouldn't a more proper analogy:"Was JFK's security responsible of his death"

We're the victims here, not Sony.

I understand you're answering to a stupid comparison, but your conclusion is to the very least uninformed.

The risk we run is minimal. You can freely trigger SMS warnings on all CC operations, getting an instant warning about everything that is done with your card. Given how CCs work, you can abort those operations in time, losing no money. If you don't, 99% of the time you can still get refunded by your service (which is covered by insurances just in case).

It's a nuisance? Yes, even before touching the issue of the potential identity thefts and all that comes with that. But the vast majority of the people involved will see no consequence. In fact, I'm honestly doubting that the hackers will sell a considerable part of the info. It's a way too big thing. If this becomes an issue, and the data is extensively used, it will become a worldwide issue, and it will lead to less then desireable results for those who live off this kind of crime. Consumer awareness will rise (or consumer panic will decrease the use of online transactions, thus killing the "market"), security will increase and even governments may decide to take aggressive anti-hacking stances. Nobody wants to go there I think.
My prediction is that customers will see very little damage from this.

However, for Sony the damage is gonna be monumental. Not just their image, but in terms of sheer expenses. This is gonna hurt them, a lot.

Grampasso said:
I just received an SMS about my credit card (the one linked to PSN) being blocked.
I phoned my bank service number and they confirmed me that it was indeed Sony Network fault because they've been receiving a lot of phone calls about cash flow not being authorized in the last 4 days. Today finally Sony admitted it's because the hacker managed to clone several credit cards (including mine).
Is there any source showing Sony admitted this?

manzo

Grampasso said:

Fuuuuuck.

I can't remember if I had my old CC info there or the new one. :(

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Grampasso said:
Today finally Sony admitted it's because the hacker managed to clone several credit cards (including mine).
I would consider this(if true) conclusive proof that whoever is behind this was in it for the money and not any BS about crusades or noble goals that everyone including media is trying to sell.

Grampasso said:

Shit's on.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Grampasso said:
The bank operator told me about Sony admittance on the matter

I find that strange. How would Sony know your card had been cloned?

I mean, per their info, they're not even sure data was taken. I have high doubts Sony is going around 'confirming' or 'admitting' numbers were a) taken and b) cloned at an individual level. Whatever about the former, they've no way to isolate the latter.

Maybe it's just what the bank is saying for convenience's sake, as a quick explanation.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Grampasso said:
so basically your bank canceled your card because other people have been complaining about the breach, and your bank happened to notice charges on your account from PSN? I don't doibt you've had a new card issued, but I do doubt that your bank knows what they're talking about if true.

edit - oh yeah, you can't "clone" a card with the data from sony. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and just assume they meant that the numbers were attempted to be used. But a card has CCV and checksum values on it that you couldn't build on your own. The only way to "clone" a card is to actually have physical access to it and copy over the contents of the mag stripe.

Grampasso said:
The bank operator told me about Sony admittance on the matter
I don't doubt that you're telling the truth but I'm a little skeptical about Sony really admitting to something like this. Why wouldn't we know by now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom