• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN Hack Update: FAQs in OP, Read before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.
snap0212 said:
Why didn't Sony encrypt the personal information as well? Is there any reason for this?

Performance. As I understand it encrypting personal information is not common practice and if you have a problem with this you should probably get off the Internet immediately. I doubt any database encrypts your name and address.

Although, I'll stand corrected if I'm talking shit.

get2sammyb said:
Performance. As I understand it encrypting personal information is not common practice and if you have a problem with this you should probably get off the Internet immediately. I doubt any database encrypts your name and address.

Although, I'll stand corrected if I'm talking shit.

No you're pretty much correct. Pretty sure all your GAF account info is unencrypted as well except for the password.

Wazzim

Banned
Metalmurphy said:
It is, but that doesn't say anything about being able to prevent it or not. You can't. You can try as best as you can though. These things happen, ALOT. There's no such thing as a secure network.
That's totally true.

Hanmik said:
so it was JFK´s own fault he got murdered.. not the guy who shot him..
Are you even serious? lol

statham

Raistlin said:
Come at me bro.

At this point we have no evidence that this due to some sort of negligence. Also, you act as though there is no precedence.

Let me put it this way. If someone stole your car ... and let's assume for a second you aren't a git that left the doors unlocked and keys in the ignition ... should we be calling you out as having fucked up? How about someone breaks into a business and steals shit, and it employed industry standard (or better) security ... did the business fuck up? Again, assuming they didn't forget to activate the security system and lock the doors?

Maybe we should actually wait until there's enough information before blaming those who may be the victim?

People can feel free to bitch about how Sony has handled PR for this, but that's completely unrelated to what you seem to be bitching about.
yes, who or why would you do this, and thats what sony did. they didn't lock the front door, they left there windows down anyone could steal their shit. and this isn't a person , its a company that has millions of people private info, they can't leave the keys in the ignition which is what they did. this isn't a woops! my bad, won't do it again, when you have probably 25-30 million accounts on stake.

ZZMitch

Hanmik said:

No but the JFKs security was not adequate enough to stop the assassination and should share some of the blame or at least be investigated.

Alx

Hanmik said:

Well to keep your analogy, JFK's bodyguards were to blame because it was their only job to prevent that he got murdered. It doesn't mean that the shooter is innocent, though, only that the security wasn't up to expectations.

Hanmik

ZZMitch said:
No but the JFKs security was not adequate enough to stop the assassination and should share some of the blame.

ohh the plot thickens.. so we should blame the security guys at Sony..?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
xbhaskarx said:
That would be quite fucked up if true, what possible reason could they have had to wait that long before informing consumers?

Also, questions for the don't blame Sony crowd...

Would you only be angry at the thief and not at the airline if your luggage was stolen?
Would you only be angry at the thief and not your home security system if your house was cleaned out?

Can the blame only be placed only on one party, is there really not enough here to spread it out between both?

Of course there is, but not necessarily equally. Would you blame the airline or your home security system as much as the thief without knowing 1) which security measures were in place and 2) how the thief circumvented them?

Did you blame the US government for the 11/9 terrorist attack as much as Bin Laden?

Relaxed Muscle said:
Shouldn't a more proper analogy:"Was JFK's security responsible of his death"

We're the victims here, not Sony.
Both us and Sony are the victims. This isn't going to be cheap for Sony. At all.

The sad part is that they'll probably never catch the guy.

TTP said:
Did you blame the US government for the 11/9 terrorist attack as much as Bin Laden?

I do :p

Well... maybe not "as much".

xbhaskarx

ZZMitch said:
No but the JFKs security was not adequate enough to stop the assassination and should share some of the blame.
Exactly. That's why my two examples were a home security alarm that you trust to safeguard your home and an airline that you trust to take your luggage from one place to another. When people provide their personal information and credit card information to Sony, they are trusting Sony to protect that info so it doesn't fall into the wrong hands.

The robbery analogies are ridiculous to me. I once witnessed a house theft on my neighbourhood. The guy had locked all his doors, windows, had dogs in the house and an alarm. It didn't stop the robbers from crowbarring his door, rushing into the house, and stealing his stuff.

No matter what you do, there's always a chance you can get robbed. Sometimes these things happen, y'know.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
ZZMitch said:
Those in charge of keeping PSN secure should share a bit of the blame, yes.
Those same guys DO NOT invite idiot hackers from doing stuff like this. As has been said, many big corporations have been hacked. It's the gaming fans that react often time immaturely that makes this look far more annoying. And some here are simply fair weather fans of have no interest but in getting some cheap shots in. No one wants to be hacked and Sony is catching far more grief when they are doing as much as they can and it's costing them lots right now. But hey, the hacker/s can do something "little" like this to prove a point once in a while right?

ZZMitch

TTP said:
Of course there is, but not necessarily equally. Would you blame the airline or your home security system as much as the thief without knowing 1) which security measures were in place and 2) how the thief circumvented them?

Not as much, but they should share some of the blame because they could not protect citizens or our airlines.

Wazzim

Banned
TTP said:
Only a foul would lay all the blame on Bin Laden and his gang. It was a TOTAL failure of the US Army, one of gigantic proportions.

Alx said:
Well to keep your analogy, JFK's bodyguards were to blame because it was their only job to prevent that he got murdered. It doesn't mean that the shooter is innocent, though, only that the security wasn't up to expectations.

Absolutely, but it seems that Gaf loves to jump to conclusion quickly in order to make themselves feel good. At least half of these thread is about people whining of how Sony is incompetent of doing anything right while forgetting the source of the problem in the first place.

ZZMitch

LiquidMetal14 said:
Those same guys DO NOT invite idiot hackers from doing stuff like this. As has been said, many big corporations have been hacked. It's the gaming fans that react often time immaturely that makes this look far more annoying. And some here are simply fair weather fans of have no interest but in getting some cheap shots in. No one wants to be hacked and Sony is catching far more grief when they are doing as much as they can and it's costing them lots right now. But hey, the hacker/s can do something "little" like this to prove a point once in a while right?

Ok, cool. But only Sony has lost my personal information to some hackers, maybe once someone else loses my info I will be more forgiving.

And to be fair, Sony did inadvertently encourage hackers to come after them when they went after Geohot, like it or not.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Metalmurphy said:
I do :p

Well... maybe not "as much".

That's what I'm saying. You can't blame Sony as much as the hacker without a clear understanding of what happened.

Ydahs

So if I'm not mistaken, CC numbers are encrypted and passwords are hashed while it's only the personal information which has been kept in plain form? That is correct?

Wazzim said:
Only a foul would lay all the blame on Bin Laden and his gang. It was a TOTAL failure of the US Army, one of gigantic proportions.

But when the incident took place everyone was blinded by hatred to see the truth, they were all itching to go to war. Much like the same thing happening here.

Hanmik

ZZMitch said:
Those in charge of keeping PSN secure should share a bit of the blame, yes.

and becuase Sony hired them, we should blame Sony..? and because Masaru Ibuka started Sony back in 1945 he is basically the one to blame:.?

I know this may sound stupid... but the logic here behind this "blame-game" going on right now is stupid.. going back to the JFK story, I never remember people acting out and blaming CIA (or whoever was in charge of JFK´s security) back then. It was all about the lone shooter and his motives... but today in 2011 people do not care who was behind the crime, just that they think the crime should/could be prevented. Maybe it is because the hacker (or hackers) is not known (and might never be), but I still do not get why people are giving the hackers a freepass in this whole shitty mess.. ?

HomShaBom

Banned
Wazzim said:
Stop trying to lump the intelligence community into the Army. They are not the same, at all.

Az

I want to pay some of you to list the top 10 analogies used regarding this PSN Hack issue. My employees are giving me looks right now, I need to calm down.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
ZZMitch said:
Not as much, but they should share some of the blame because they could not protect citizens or our airlines.

Again, that's what I'm saying. It's the extent of the blame. For many people here it sounds like Sony and hacker should be blamed 50/50, if not even 80/20.

Wazzim

Banned
HomShaBom said:
Stop trying to lump the intelligence community into the Army. They are not the same, at all.
Well we still don't know who made the fatal mistake of not taking action, the Intelligence or the Army because there hasn't been a proper investigation.

Alx

Hanmik said:
and becuase Sony hired them, we should blame Sony..?

Chances are, "they" are part of Sony. Saying "the security people at Sony are responsible for the PSN security" is not so different from "Sony is responsible for the PSN security".

HomShaBom

Banned
Wazzim said:
Well we still don't know who made the fatal mistake of not taking action, the Intelligence or the Army because there hasn't been a proper investigation.
Hasn't been a proper investigation? Have you been asleep the past 10 years? There are plenty of studies and investigations that were done.

Once again you keep saying Army. You clearly have not a clue what you're talking about. The US Army is an organization under the DoD. The Army itself had not a damn thing to do with any policy making or actions taken regarding the intelligence dealing with terrorism. If you want to point random fingers while being uninformed, do so at intelligence agencies and the DoD, and atleast you'll look somewhat smart.

Psykotik

http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/posts/list.m?topic_id=499535

We apologize for any inconvenience players may have experienced as a result of the recent service interruption. As a global leader in online gaming, SOE is committed to delivering stable and entertaining games for players of all ages.

To thank players for their patience, we will be hosting special events this weekend across our game portfolio, including a Double Station Cash day on Saturday, April 30th.

We are also working on a “make good” plan for players of the PS3 versions of DC Universe Online and Free Realms. Details will be available soon on the individual game websites and forums.

Ydahs said:
So if I'm not mistaken, CC numbers are encrypted and passwords are hashed while it's only the personal information which has been kept in plain form? That is correct?

Yes. And Sony's also reiterated that there is still no evidence any credit cards were stolen in the first place.

While the situation is still bad, it doesn't seem half as catastrophic as it did yesterday. To me, at least.

Hanmik said:
and becuase Sony hired them, we should blame Sony..? and because Masaru Ibuka started Sony back in 1945 he is basically the one to blame:.?

I know this may sound stupid... but the logic here behind this "blame-game" going on right now is stupid.. going back to the JFK story, I never remember people acting out and blaming CIA (or whoever was in charge of JFK´s security) back then. It was all about the lone shooter and his motives... but today in 2011 people do not care who was behind the crime, just that they think the crime should/could be prevented. Maybe it is because the hacker (or hackers) is not known (and might never be), but I still do not get why people are giving the hackers a freepass in this whole shitty mess.. ?

Who are giving the hackers a free pass? Most posts I've read are angry at the hackers but also angry at Sony for their catalogue of fuck ups. I have no idea why people are so keen to absolve Sony of any blame.

Hey guys, I just wanted to throw out on update on my credit card situation from yesterday, it looks like I jumped the gun on this one. The $100 was just a placeholder for a smaller transaction I made and the address was wrong for some other reason that I don't quite understand. Either way, I went ahead and got my card number changed just to be safe. Sorry for the confusion.

darkwing

Jburton said:
Of course it was encrypted as the law in many countries where PSN operates states that it must be.

Rumour, conjecture, panic and scaremongering is where the false information that it wasn't encrypted sprang from.

Now it is that it was not encrypted enough!

What are the fanboys and doom sayers going to latch on to next?
it was only using 128bit should be 256bit

The_Darkest_Red said:
Hey guys, I just wanted to throw out on update on my credit card situation from yesterday, it looks like I jumped the gun on this one. The $100 was just a placeholder for a smaller transaction I made and the address was wrong for some other reason that I don't quite understand. Either way, I went ahead and got my card number changed just to be safe. Sorry for the confusion.

See, it starts. I'm not getting at you The_Darkest_Red -- sounds like you made a genuine mistake which is fair enough -- but where are all those scare mongering reports from Ars Technica and Kotaku linking anecdotal cases of fraud to the PSN situation?

Conveniently evaporated now, haven't they?

ZZMitch

J Tourettes said:
Who are giving the hackers a free pass? Most posts I've read are angry at the hackers but also angry at Sony for their catalogue of fuck ups. I have no idea why people are so keen to absolve Sony of any blame.

I know, it is really funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom