• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN Hack Update: FAQs in OP, Read before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.
* shoots self* five minutes of searching for someone who is phishing is life long, and it doesn't take five minutes, and DOB is very important and not that easy to find. if it didn't matter the why the big hoopla? go ahead give me you name, DOB, address last buys, last employment, phone number, ect if its no big deal.

I don't recalling giving Sony all that info.

This is also ironic in a way; let's say your name is Ben Stiffens. Your PSN account name is Everhard01337.

Now, the scammer has info to sell. To whom?

To people who know Ben Stiffens? They can know the info you inputted in your PSN registration much more easily than that. They can look you up (address, phone, date of birth) through legit means.

To people who know Everhard01337? So basically to other PSN users. Which would probably be your PSN friends. Big deal much?

Of course, there's that guy you owned at Black Ops who remembers your name and wants to gut you. But that aside, who could use that info and how? Give us a practical example.

teiresias said:
Oh no, I have to make a phone call, however shall I cope? The world is ending!!
I posted this on the last page.
Steve Youngblood said:
I don't understand an attempt to quantify a subjective term like "inconvenience." Now, mind you, I'm not terribly worried about this, and I'm lazy, and I don't think the card on file was even valid anymore, and thus I'm not getting a new card, but I don't understand dismissals of claims of inconvenience based on other people's thresholds. "You just call the bank and they send you a new card. Easy!" Okay, that's great for that individual, honestly, but that would certainly be inconvenient to me. If I'm actually worried about that card being stolen, I would currently not have my debit card. I use my debit card a lot. Furthermore, I have several bills being paid via that card number which will have to be edited again for the new card. Should I forget to do that since I just forget about this kind of stuff after a while, I might even get a late fee (this has happened to me before, but has nothing to do with PSN, just an example). This is all just notwithstanding that I don't like having to call 1-800 numbers, getting put on hold, and having to talk to customer service reps unless I absolutely have to.

So, no, it's not necessarily a minor inconvenience. It may seem that way to you, but it's perfectly reasonable to disagree.
Just because you disagree with the sentiment doesn't make it invalid. I'm glad this kind of thing doesn't bother you. That doesn't mean it's objectively not inconvenient.

statham

Steve Youngblood said:
I posted this on the last page.

Just because you disagree with the sentiment doesn't make it invalid. I'm glad this kind of thing doesn't bother you. That doesn't mean it's objectively not inconvenient.
agree 100% changing my card is a afternoon wasted, and even then I might forget an account.

Tobor

I cancelled my debit card this morning and it's costing me $25 to have a new one expedited, otherwise it would take 7 to 10 business days. Once I get the new card, I'll have to update all my services that automatically bill.

Definitely inconvenient for me.

micster

Do bills come out of the debit cards in America, then. Cos here in England direct debits get taken from the account number which doesnt change when you get a new card.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
They said that were going to reset our passwords once the PSN goes online again.
I forgot my password.. im screwed right?

Grampasso

Well lol, I'm out of this thread, I don't like being treated like this. I posted my experience just because there was still no evidence about CCs being compromised and thought it could be of use to warn people who could be in the very same situation.

Now I think there is evidence (I repeat, the operator told me about Sony before I mentioned it, so they couldn't know what was the cause unless they had an actual trail).
Don't believe me, I couldn't care less and it's not my problem.
If you want to ask something please PM me (not for offending me :p) since I won't reply on this thread anymore.

Tobor

micster said:
Do bills come out of the debit cards in America, then. Cos here in England direct debits get taken from the account number which doesnt change when you get a new card.

Services like Utilities and Electric bill the account directly. Services like my Car insurance need a card number. Not to mention Netflix, iTunes, and stuff like that.

StuBurns

Banned
Tobor said:
I cancelled my debit card this morning and it's costing me $25 to have a new one expedited, otherwise it would take 7 to 10 business days. Once I get the new card, I'll have to update all my services that automatically bill.

Definitely inconvenient for me.
That's pretty lame, my replacement was free and it arrived this morning, very impressive actually.

Fersis said:
They said that were going to reset our passwords once the PSN goes online again.
I forgot my password.. im screwed right?
Yeah i don't know... i dont recall precisely what password i've used for any of my accounts, and only one of them is tied to a legit email address. I'm kinda curious at to whether i'll be able to recover all accounts.

Grampasso said:
Well lol, I'm out of this thread, I don't like being treated like this.
Funny, given how most everyone in here went out of their way to not offend you.

micster said:
Bills like credit card payments that can't be paid via a credit card will be directly tied to your account. Others, like my electric, cell phone, cable, internet, etc. can often be paid automatically by either credit or by tying it to your bank account.

xbhaskarx

Scenester said:
the amount of damage control going on in this topic is nothing short of staggering.

people are telling legit sounding stories about their bank/cc company dealings, and 2 posts later someone will jump on their ass calling it out as BS!

bagdad-bob.gif

There is nothing to see here folks, just move on. Lock this thread and let's get back to talking about how the PlayStation ecosystem continues to gain momentum.

Which exciting new Sony product are you most eager to buy, Move or NGP?

Fistwell said:
Yeah i don't know... i dont recall precisely what password i've used for any of my accounts, and only one of them is tied to a legit email address. I'm kinda curious at to whether i'll be able to recover all accounts.

I'm pretty sure Sony will need to address this at the "relaunch" since it seems to be a common problem. Otherwise they are going to get inundated with calls. the relaunch is going to be just as painful for Sony, unfortunately.

teiresias

statham said:
agree 100% changing my card is a afternoon wasted, and even then I might forget an account.
If it takes you an entire afternoon to change your card number then you're doing it wrong. Monitoring your accounts is simply a part of being an adult and tracking your finances. I had to do all this blocking a card stuff once back before I was buying anything online and before you could easily check account activity online (and once since all that became common place), talk to me about inconvenience then.

You call the number on the card hit zero over and over again to bypass all the automated stuff and get it done.

I guess we'll just agree to disagree on where the line dividing being inconvenienced and just being lazy ends.

The passwords is a bigger deal to me since I can't remember what my PSN password even was aside from knowing it's not the same as any of my others.

iNvidious01 said:
why do you want the damn emails so much?

Even if they don't use the credit card info, they can use the names and addresses to sell to advertising agencies. they can make money off of every ounce of personal info they gathered.

params7

Banned
Username and password leaking are also a big threat imo, simply because I use the same password I use for PSN in a lot of places, including the email which is my PSN username. Been changing passwords since yesterday.

statham

Grampasso said:
Well lol, I'm out of this thread, I don't like being treated like this. I posted my experience just because there was still no evidence about CCs being compromised and thought it could be of use to warn people who could be in the very same situation.

Now I think there is evidence (I repeat, the operator told me about Sony before I mentioned it, so they couldn't know what was the cause unless they had an actual trail).
Don't believe me, I couldn't care less and it's not my problem.
If you want to ask something please PM me (not for offending me :p) since I won't reply on this thread anymore.
sorry to hear that, hopefully we don't hear more cases like yours.

coopolon

teiresias said:
If it takes you an entire afternoon to change your card number then you're doing it wrong. Monitoring your accounts is simply a part of being an adult and tracking your finances. I had to do all this blocking a card stuff once back before I was buying anything online and before you could easily check account activity online (and once since all that became common place), talk to me about inconvenience then.

You call the number on the card hit zero over and over again to bypass all the automated stuff and get it done.

I guess we'll just agree to disagree on where the line dividing being inconvenienced and just being lazy ends.

A lot of 1-800 numbers are actually no longer making 0 the line for a customer service representative because too many people were just hitting 0 over and over again. They really really really don't want you to reach a human being, it's a worst case scenario for them.

teruterubozu said:
Well, with such long-winded multiple posts about inconvenience vs convenience, I don't think it really matters to anyone.
It took me like two minutes to type up that response, and I did it so as to avoid this scenario:

Me: "It's inconvenient."
Other: "No, it's not."
Me: "Is too."
Other: "is not."

Repeat ad nauseum. If one's assertion is that you call a number and that's that, then I disagree.

iNvid02

Shin Dynamo X said:
Even if they don't use the credit card info, they can use the names and addresses to sell to advertising agencies. they can make money off of every ounce of personal info they gathered.

no i was talking about gaf wanting to recieve the emails from sony telling them the service is down, they just repeat the same info, and some people have already recieved them but want them again for their other accounts. strange.

the personal info is probably more valuable than the cc info, it should have been encrypted.

YakiSOBA

I'm not cancelling any cards or antyhing, just keeping a vigilant check on what gets charged onto my CC for the next while (which I alraedy do anyway)

params7 said:
I use the same password I use for PSN in a lot of places, including the email which is my PSN username.
Prepare yourself for a stern talking to (and possible cavity search) by the more serious members.

xbhaskarx

borghe said:
No, just asking to not spread secondhand misinformation (and before you start, yes.. it's second hand information.. he heard from the bank who heard it from visa who heard it from sony.. etc)

If that's what you consider secondhand information, this thread really should be locked, shouldn't it?
I mean, no bank or credit card company is going to DIRECTLY post information here in this thread. Lock the thread and update the OP with any firsthand information from Sony. Everything else is "misinformation" because it's second hand....

Chum

It's hard for someone who's had a fraudulent charge in the last week to not associate it with the Sony security failings. I posted this earlier in the thread, but I was contacted by my VISA department concerning a $300 charge made at 4AM Monday morning at a UK computer supply site (http://www.simplyelectronics.net/).

Can I be absolutely certain it has something to do with Sony's problems? No, and I probably never will. But the fact remains that I've never had a fraudulent charge made to this card in the 2 years that I've had it and it was saved in two places: PSN and XBL. It's the simplest explanation that the charges are related to the breach and I'm tired of people accusing others of lying or that they're in the wrong for associating the two events.

Cipherr

xbhaskarx said:
bagdad-bob.gif

There is nothing to see here folks, just move on. Lock this thread and let's get back to talking about how the PlayStation ecosystem continues to gain momentum.

This, reading the thread is damn entertaining though. How dare someone be slightly annoyed that they have to go through changing and reissuing debit cards. We all know its always merely a 15 second call, and the card arrives within the hour!

Chum said:
It's hard for someone who's had a fraudulent charge in the last week to not associate it with the Sony security failings. I posted this earlier in the thread, but I was contacted by my VISA department concerning a $300 charge made at 4AM Monday morning at a UK computer supply site (http://www.simplyelectronics.net/).

Can I be absolutely certain it has something to do with Sony's problems? No, and I probably never will. But the fact remains that I've never had a fraudulent charge made to this card in the 2 years that I've had it and it was saved in two places: PSN and XBL. It's the simplest explanation that the charges are related to the breach and I'm tired of people accusing others of lying or that they we're in the wrong for associating the two events.

At least people can ask you about details of this incident. Sony ain't saying shit.

coopolon

xbhaskarx said:
If that's what you consider secondhand information, this thread really should be locked, shouldn't it?
I mean, no bank or credit card company is going to DIRECTLY post information here in this thread. Lock the thread and update the OP with any firsthand information from Sony. Everything else is "misinformation" because it's second hand....

And afterall, Sony has been so transparent, forthcoming, and prompt with all new information they've discovered, why would we even need to try to find out information from alternative sources?

Just post a link to the Playstation Blog and Kevin Butler commercials.

statham

teiresias said:

The passwords is a bigger deal to me since I can't remember what my PSN password even was aside from knowing it's not the same as any of my others.
changing my card takes no time, I have everything but my mortgage on auto-pay, remember passwords, changing numbers, hell different email accounts takes time. I have to hit 'forget your password' button on half of them and then wait for the email. it is a pain in the ass. changing my card is not, everything else is.
and FU for calling me lazy, you know nothing about me.
lets see, siruis, water, electric, garbage, 2 different cars, sprint,att, comcast, directtv, netflix, hule, scotts yard service, target, auto insurance x2 cars, paypal, ebay, amazon just off the top of my mind I have to change

params7 said:
Username and password leaking are also a big threat imo, simply because I use the same password I use for PSN in a lot of places, including the email which is my PSN username. Been changing passwords since yesterday.
Consider it a wake up call. Using one password for more than one thing is dangerous anyway.

Hanmik

ha this is some funny stuff.. they are actually starting to inform us..

We are aware that you may no longer be able to log-in to the PlayStation.Blog and leave comments. This is because every time you log-in using your PlayStation Network ID, a cookie is created to keep you logged in for one week. These cookies have now started to expire and you will not be able to log back in until PSN has been restored.

However, you can still read the PlayStation.Blog without logging in and I will continue to post any news as soon as I hear of it

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2011/04/28/issue-with-leaving-comments/#more-38973

xbhaskarx

coopolon said:
Just post a link to the Playstation Blog and Kevin Butler commercials.

Seriously. No spreading secondhand "misinformation"... that rivals chubigans creating a FAQ stating that the chances of your personal information being used is "quite literally" one in several million for post of the thread.

test_account

XP-39C²
teruterubozu said:
People keep posting this as a straw argument, but whitepages doesn't really tell you a whole lot.
How much personal info was there on PSN? Name and adress of course, then date of birth and phonenumber, but what else was there? I cant remember.

larvi

teiresias said:

You are generalizing based on your (limited) experience. I've had to change mine several times as well and it takes me much longer. I have quite a few automated payments tied to my card so I need to identify all of those and get them switched over to the new card which involves multiple calls to various customer service reps and possibly some forms to fill out. Since I tend to not want to spend the $25 overnight fee to get my new card right away I also have to make interim arrangements for any payments that are due before I get the new card with a new number. Also since my wife and I share the same card, we both need to make alternative arrangements for day to day purchases until the new card arrives. It's a PITA for me at least.

webrunner

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
test_account said:
How much personal info was there on PSN? Name and adress of course, then date of birth and phonenumber, but what else was there? I cant remember.

e-mail. That's about it I think

beast786

xbhaskarx said:
bagdad-bob.gif

By the time it took to google that pic and post your comment you would have changed your CC .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom