• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN Hack Update: FAQs in OP, Read before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salaadin

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
So I noticed a charge (processing) on my debit card for 29.00 to "SUBSCRIPTIONS LONDON ON." I talked to BOA and since it's processing they can't give any more information except that it was done at the same time I bought something at another location (and thus logically wouldn't have gotten anything). I'm raking my brain trying to figure out what it may be, but I can't at the moment figure it out.

Honestly, closing and getting a new debit card is not a big deal (I had to do it once before), I'm just not sure if I should wait (and potentially it could be nothing, but risk further exposure, or just close it now (it won't mess with pending charges and I'll already have a new temp card by lunch since I'm right near a branch). If it turns out its something then I'm completely covered and no harm, and if it's not then a little hassle, but also no harm.

Has anyone seen a similar charge on their bills?

Id change it. That London charge could be nothing but if it ends up being something, why not change your card now before even more shit happens? Better safe than sorry.

I havent seen anything suspicious on my end but I changed my card number on Tuesday as precaution.

Yeah, I'm now pissed at my bank and Sony.

And you feel nothing for the guys who actually went and hacked a site to get your info, and those who sold it to someone, and to the guy who used your money to buy stuff?

Sure, discussing Sony's eventual responsabilities is more fun and more appropriate considering it's a gaming forum, but the real criminals aren't Sony.

In fact, positively no harm will probably come from this (since all operations will be canceled and refunded as it happens with 99.9% of the CC scams) except for insurances and *drumroll* Sony.

The only real victim here is Sony, and once again, the entire strike was about hurting Sony, not getting your money. Using cloned CCs is very dangerous and the best way to get caught, so don't expect these incidents to spread like wildfire.
However, if at the end of the day the result is that Sony has to lose a load of money and everyone now hates them, then the hackers wins. And looking at this thread, they're winning big time.

Salaadin said:
Id change it. That London charge could be nothing but if it ends up being something, why not change your card now before even more shit happens? Better safe than sorry.

I havent seen anything suspicious on my end but I changed my card number on Tuesday as precaution.

Actually, I think it was The Economist, but it wasn't supposed to be till May 7th. So I discarded the possibility initially. So I'm calling The Economist CS now and hopefully this was just that. The charge is the exact amount too.

Phew!

xbhaskarx

VisanidethDM said:
Sure, discussing Sony's eventual responsabilities is more fun

the real criminals aren't Sony.

The only real victim here is Sony

So the real criminals are not Sony, and the only real victim here is Sony, and the reason we're discussing Sony's responsibilities is because it's "more fun"... got it, thanks for clarifying that.

Every time I look at this thread, I get scared and I have to check my bank account to see if I got any suspicious charges.

Better go and get my debit card changed. :(

itxaka

Defeatist
VisanidethDM said:
And you feel nothing for the guys who actually went and hacked a site to get your info, and those who sold it to someone, and to the guy who used your money to buy stuff?

Those are the bad guys. They are hated by default.

ure, discussing Sony's eventual responsabilities is more fun and more appropriate considering it's a gaming forum, but the real criminals aren't Sony.

In fact, positively no harm will probably come from this (since all operations will be canceled and refunded as it happens with 99.9% of the CC scams) except for insurances and *drumroll* Sony.

The only real victim here is Sony, and once again, the entire strike was about hurting Sony, not getting your money. Using cloned CCs is very dangerous and the best way to get caught, so don't expect these incidents to spread like wildfire.
However, if at the end of the day the result is that Sony has to lose a load of money and everyone now hates them, then the hackers wins. And looking at this thread, they're winning big time.

wow

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Just had a stranger knock on my door here and asked if he could use the bathroom, but I've never seen this guy before and he looked really suspicious. I've never had strangers knock on my door until now. Think this is PSN related?

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
What is the best possible outcome from all this? Better PSN. Better security. Better awareness of the vulnerability of online transactions. And hopefully, the person(s) who did this gets caught and has to stand trial.

Hanmik

so a guy has made a homepage to help people against Sony..

http://playstolen.com/

and here is an interview with the guy behind the site:

Level Up Times/Adrian: Mr. PlayStolen, who are you, and what do you do?

PlayStolen: “I’m someone who is highly disappointed that the information of so many people has been taken from a trusted source. I’m from Australia, just working a regular job NOT in the IT industry. As you can see from the website, it is pretty amateur but I hope it does the job. If anyone with some actual web site building expertise would like to get involved, I will be more than welcoming.
To be honest I am not a current PS3 owner or user. I do regularly game online on another machine though. I still have a big issue with my personal data being out there in the hands of anyone!”

Adrian: What’s the purpose of PlayStolen, and what do you hope to achieve with the site?

PlayStolen: “The site was made with a catchy title in an attempt to easily draw people to the site. I am unsure of where [you're] from [LUT: We're from Australia], but an Australian Mobile Phone operator Vodafone has been having some serious issues and someone set up the very popular vodafail.com. I thought the use of a simple but catchy title would be quite useful and beneficial.
[The aim] of the site is to get a list of people together and team them up with a legal team as the time goes on. What I aim to achieve is a firm will want to take the case, at which time I can pass on the information for interested parties.
It has been mentioned in the press already that Rothken Law Firm is taking on the case in the United States. I am attempting to get in contact with them at the moment and will pass on any Americans details onto them.”

Adrian: What will you do with people’s information if they provide it to you?

PlayStolen: “People are only providing me with fairly basic information of Name, Email and Country. All I am doing is filing them into folders based on their country and will pass it on when required. A majority of people who have responded have only given First Names which is more than enough information for me.”

Adrian: What are your thoughts on the PSN breach?

PlayStolen: “My main issue with the data breach is ‘who has this information and what are they going to do with it[?]‘ They have details of 75 million people, which they could use for some major identity fraud, credit card fraud and spam.
My other worry is ‘how did this occur and how suspect are other institutions that are storing our data?’ Is this an issue that should be looked at as a serious threat internet wide?”

Adrian: What do you hope people who manage to get in contact with a lawsuit through your site will ask for in compensation against Sony?

PlayStolen: “People have various personal reasons for wanting to get involved, alot can be seen detailed in internet forums. Most people will not address a lawyer themselves due to the cost so this is the easy option for them. I guess it will be a wait and see what the lawyers of various countries say in regards to what we can expect. At the moment its a bit of unknown about what is going to happen, but I am just trying to get the ball rolling.”

Adrian: Are you personally going to enter a lawsuit if possible and what will you be looking for in compensation from Sony?

PlayStolen: “I would like to get involved hence me taking the time to set up the site. Sony needs to be held accountable for what has occurred. Some people have been saying that if it didn’t happen to Sony, it would have happened to someone else. What these companies have to realise that if they want to collect everyone’s personal data, they must keep it secure.”

http://www.leveluptimes.com/news/in...ons-against-sony-and-the-playstation-network/

Nizz

Been checking both my CC accounts and no strange activity. Also printed out my credit report last night and nothing unusual there either. I've changed passwords to sites that matter and changed my email's password. So far so good.

larvi

xbhaskarx said:
So the real criminals are not Sony and the only real victim here is Sony, got it, thanks for clarifying that.

Yep and all of us PSN users are accessories to the crime. If we hadn't created signons with valid personal data/CC info the hackers wouldn't have had any reason to break in and take said data. So I guess we owe Sony an apology.

VisanidethDM said:
Wow. I'm kind of at a loss here

BeeDog

Arguing back and forth on WHO'S TO BLAME is enormously tiresome. The deed is done, and Sony will surely get the right amount of flak for this situation, no need for further petty discussions. Then again, I guess this topic'll die fast if people can't discuss that. :p

I'd rather have this topic be about occurrences of fraud attempts, further suggestions on how to deal with the situation and shit like that. The blame discussion is simply re-treading the same few points.

Wario64 said:
Just had a stranger knock on my door here and asked if he could use the bathroom, but I've never seen this guy before and he looked really suspicious. I've never had strangers knock on my door until now. Think this is PSN related?

Kill him immediately or feed him pizza, your choice.

Wario64 said:
i think you've been smoking too much paranoia herb.

lol at the idiot saying sony are the only real victim.

yeah, the millions who have just had their personal information stolen, they aren't victims of anything.

i do not understand the blind defence of corporations that happens around here. i do not understand it at all.

Sblargh

Banned
Don't you guys find linking debit into online stuff inherently dangerous? There's always risk on the net and Credit Cards have a kind of safety net even against the worst case scenario, but debit is always unsafe IMO; it is such a direct link into your money.

xbhaskarx

Wario64 said:

Police sketch of the intruder:
5227204066_3a45595ec4.jpg

gcubed

The safest thing is to assume everything is compromised and just get a new card. Also if you have access to a CC use it as an oppurtunity to use CC for everything since with most CC companies you have no liability and very little headache getting things fixed. Its not your money on a CC.

And don't use your email password as the password to any service that uses your email address as a login.

Wario64 said:
did he look like he just came out of taco bell?

BeeDog said:
Arguing back and forth on WHO'S TO BLAME is enormously tiresome. The deed is done, and Sony will surely get the right amount of flak for this situation, no need for further petty discussions. Then again, I guess this topic'll die fast if people can't discuss that. :p

I'd rather have this topic be about occurrences of fraud attempts, further suggestions on how to deal with the situation and shit like that. The blame discussion is simply re-treading the same few points.

Well, some people have been trying to report occurrences of fraud attempts, but they're immediately flamed down as BS. Not sure what else there is to discuss.

snap0212

Wario64 said:
No, it's related to the Modern Warfare 2 thing on Xbox Live they warned you about...

It was just the Economist...although I don't appreciate them doing it a week ahead of time...but nothings wrong with my card and I can go back to being nuts about the other things in life. lol

Hanmik

The_Darkest_Red said:
The guy doesn't even own a PS3? What the...

here is his quote

To be honest I am not a current PS3 owner or user. I do regularly game online on another machine though. I still have a big issue with my personal data being out there in the hands of anyone!”

I guess that is not a Nintendo machine..

gcubed

Nothing wrong with a class action, the most you'll get out of it is credit monitoring for a year or so... which is never bad to have

Hanmik

xbhaskarx said:
PSP? PC? What are you insinuating here??

damn you are fast,.. stealth edit from PSPGo to this... speedy little fellow you are ..!

I´m just insinuating that if you play online Regularly, then it is probably not a Nintendo machine..

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
It was just the Economist...although I don't appreciate them doing it a week ahead of time...but nothings wrong with my card and I can go back to being nuts about the other things in life. lol

Can we setup a rule that states you actually need to think before you start posting about a charge you don't recognise? All it does is create a bunch more panic and paranoia, and then the thread goes around the same circles again and again.

No offense like. You made a mistake and you're concerned, fair enough. But it virtually happens on every page now.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
darkwing said:
it was only using 128bit should be 256bit
Interesting. Where did you learn about this?

Wazzim said:
People keep saying this.. It's Sony's FULL responsibility, they are a multi billion dollar company and it's fully their fault if they lose control over server attacks.
If it was fully a responsibility of the company when they get hacked, CEOs of those companies would go to jail for many years, not the hackers who did it, when they are caught. This would also mean that CEOs of many big companies (including Google for example) would be in jail right now.

Hanmik

xbhaskarx said:
Why do you have to pick on Nintendo, they're just victims in the whole move towards online gaming trend... they are like a car JFK didn't ride in on the day he was assassinated because it was in the repair shop.

lol..

are you stalking me..?

but on a serious note.. It would be fun if a hacker hacked onto Playstolen and got the user info that is required on that site..

get2sammyb said:
Can we setup a rule that states you actually need to think before you start posting about a charge you don't recognise? All it does is create a bunch more panic and paranoia, and then the thread goes around the same circles again and again.

No offense like. You made a mistake and you're concerned, fair enough. But it virtually happens on every page now.

I was just trying to find out if the charge had occurred to anyone, and I did go back and edit the original post, and I had spent about 20 minutes with the Bank trying to figure it out (which we couldn't). Granted I just wish the economist charged it in the same month my subscription expires I know you're not trying to be a dick, but in my defense I didn't immediately fire up the GAF signal (and I think the post was fairly non sky is falling type). :)

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Last week, late in the week, I received a spam text and a spam phone call from a blocked number. I have had the same phone number for 5 years and have never once received any kind of telemarketing. Also, my facebook was ji-jacked last week as well and I am always very careful with my passwords on facebook and I've never clicked any suspicious links on there. I think this stuff is sadly related to the PSN data compromise :(

brentech

Hanmik said:
lol..

are you stalking me..?

but on a serious note.. It would be fun if a hacker hacked onto Playstolen and got the user info that is required on that site..
lol, was about to make a post of how brilliant this guys social engineering attempt is. Wasn't sure if people would blow the sarcasm though.

But seriously, while it seems like he is legit about what he wants to do....it's the same info that was stolen for the most part. If people have legitimate concerns about the sony info being taken, they shouldn't be giving any info to some random guy.

webrunner

Lord Error said:
Interesting. Where did you learn about this?

If it was fully a responsibility of the company when they get hacked, CEOs of those companies would go to jail for many years, not the hackers who did it, when they are caught. This would also mean that CEOs of many big companies (including Google for example) would be in jail right now.

A major breach such as this one, the company needs to pay some of it too. They're responsible for things belonging to millions of other people, and are then letting it just get taken.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
gcubed said:
Nothing wrong with a class action, the most you'll get out of it is credit monitoring for a year or so... which is never bad to have
And a bill from the lawyers.

snap0212

Lord Error said:
If there was no way for Sony to have a better security, they shouldn't be held fully responsible. If they did just one tiny mistake, they should be fully responsible for any harm that was done and harm that will be done in the future. Just because no one has been charged with anything until now doesn't mean that it's okay. Security of consumer's data should be the number one interest of a company. I know that usually isn't the case, but if continue to just accept it when companies don't take care of their customer's data, nothing will change ever.

I'm not saying someone at Sony should go to jail for this. I'm saying that if we find out that this could have been prevented if Sony had done something different/better and they just did not for whatever reason, there should be consequences.

Hanmik said:
so a guy has made a homepage to help people against Sony..

http://playstolen.com/

and here is an interview with the guy behind the site:

http://www.leveluptimes.com/news/in...ons-against-sony-and-the-playstation-network/

Sony held accountable? What would they benefit from? $20 in compensation? time lost from work? A simple google search leads to plenty of other major "data" incidents this year, with people taking no action. I didnt see BOA user rally in support to take BOA to court...people are.augh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom