• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN Hack Update: FAQs in OP, Read before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

btkadams

jobber said:
So will Sony even show up at E3 this year? I can't imagine the gaming community being all friendly to the execs during their keynotes.
KuGsj.gif

they will be there.

Equus Bellator Apex

shagg_187 said:
A guy knocked on my door and gave me a package. I opened it and it's an empty case for Mortal Kombat. The last game I was playing before I disconnected was Mortal Kombat. Can it be the hackers? I'm afraid guys!! I'm also listening to MK soundtrack as I type this. This is way too coincidental!!

Why are you joking right now.

PEOPLE ARE DYING IN THE STREETS.

Hex

Banned
jobber said:
So will Sony even show up at E3 this year? I can't imagine the gaming community being all friendly to the execs during their keynotes.

Sadly I am pretty sure that you are serious, so I can not come up with a proper gif for this.

Zoe

Jinfash said:
And according to their "informed source intimate with the PlayStation 3" it checks out, even though the source look dodgy at best. First half of the article is the most interesting part, second page is a personal take that bitches about data mining.

... those chat logs are nothing new.

xbhaskarx

jobber said:

They will show up so they can commit ritual suicide on stage and restore their honor in keeping with traditional Japanese customs (I am an expert on Japanese culture).

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
get2sammyb said:
It's also an old read based on old information. This came out at the peak of paranoia, but the latest FAQ clarified a number of concerns.
Zoe said:
... those chat logs are nothing new.
I think I saw the pastie link before too, but I had no idea someone "verified" it. At this point I'm more interested in what precautions Sony has taken to prevent this, it's the most interesting aspect of all this, as I'm bored to death from all the feces-slinging routine that has taken this thread by storm.

VisanidethDM said:
Apologist nonsense
The thing is, as consumers, the concern is how it impacts us. Any time worrying about the integrity of our personal data, getting new cards, changing auto-payments, monitoring credit reports, etc. is a waste. That's what they care about. Also, let's not forget again that their product -- the PS3 they bought -- is currently not working as advertised due lack of functioning connectivity.

I am just utterly amazed at the notion that I'm apparently supposed buy into the sentiment of "perk up consumers who have made it possible over the years for Sony to make money by buying their products and trusting them, because though it sucks for you right now, it sucks way worse for Sony. They're the victim here, not you. Now get back to canceling your cards and not being able to play games online and quit complaining."

sajj316

xbhaskarx said:
They will show up so they can commit ritual suicide on stage and restore their honor in keeping with traditional Japanese customs (I am an expert on Japanese culture).

Actually .. I can see George Hotz coming on stage, saying he now officially an employee of Sony.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Since I had been using my debit card on psn since 2007, today I made a visit to my bank. They destroyed/cancelled the old one and gave me a new one on the spot. 15 minutes of my time later and now I no longer have to worry about it.

Linkified

santi_yo said:
New charge on my debit Card. €1,19

:/

This kinda thing was described to me a few years back when I had to block mine, its called as was described to me as a 'feeler' charge to make sure a card is still active.

But block it, dispute it and order a re-issue.

So according to Geo's logic, Sony Execs (the guys who WANT more money) told their engineers to not spend money on securing the system... in which they have invested in.

My god he's stupid. He knows how to work a piece of technology, but really?

Kinyou

Equus Bellator Apex said:
Do you know anything about Japanese honor?
I can't wait to see the CEO of Sony ramming a samurai sword into his stomach. (Of course all live during the Sony press conference.)

Linkified said:
This kinda thing was described to me a few years back when I had to block mine, its called as was described to me as a 'feeler' charge to make sure a card is still active.

But block it, dispute it and order a re-issue.

Or he's forgotten about something he bought off iTunes or from Amazon MP3 or something?

Chipopo

Banned
Steve Youngblood said:
I am just utterly amazed at the notion that I'm apparently supposed buy into the sentiment of "perk up consumers who have made it possible over the years for Sony to make money by buying their products and trusting them, because though it sucks for you right now, it sucks way worse for Sony. They're the victim here, not you. Now get back to canceling your cards and not being able to play games online and quit complaining."

Yes. The people making that argument are the only people involved I truly feel sorry for.

Got an email form Sony today (E.U btw) but none of my other accounts did even the one I use more often does this mean only selective emails are being sent out or that only certain accounts into was obtained?

Linkified

get2sammyb said:
Or he's forgotten about something he bought off iTunes or from Amazon MP3 or something?

Possibly at the time they put a mobile top up fee for Vodephone on the card i was with a different mobile operatror my bank caught that as being different and blocked the card.

Salaadin

phosphor112 said:
So according to Geo's logic, Sony Execs (the guys who WANT more money) told their engineers to not spend money on securing the system... in which they have invested in.

He brings up good points but it does have this undertone of "blame the guys that sued me and not the engineers that designed it!" like hes bitter about the lawsuit (as he should be) but also wants to look out for his own kind.

Still, there shouldve been more of a focus on the security at Sony. They were pretty ignorant here and now look what happened. At least theyve learned their lesson (hopefully) and, going forward, they can do more to prevent this.

marrec

Banned
Clear said:
Absolutely agree. Well said.

I've got to add that the way this situation has really shown up how utterly paranoid our culture has become is really quite depressing.

People have reason to be concerned about personal privacy on the internet, it's not paranoia to want to keep my name, address, phone number, username, password, security question/answers out of the hands of some lone or small group of hackers who could just as easily turn around and sell that information to god knows who in god knows where.

What's depressing is the Sony apologists who are trying to run damage control for their favorite company.

Of course, these same kind of people were the ones who were all for Blizzards 'RealID' program and the ones who have no clue why people are so concerned with privacy on Facebook. Now we have no 'RealID' and Facebook has tightened security in accourdance with customer concerns.

lupinko

Shambles said:
You don't need to hide your identity when you're not doing anything illegal.

I'm not going to bother getting in that long beaten down argument, but under the DMCA and the fact he is a US citizen and is in the US, what he did was illegal and was sued for violating/infringing on patents and copyrights.

And I just mentioned what I said earlier because he's done enough attention whoring as it is, but then again he is who he is, and won't ever grow up. meh

DMeisterJ

Banned
jobber said:

Yes, I'm sure that Sony, a gaming company (among other things), will come to the biggest gaming convention, to show off and get people excited about their games.

btkadams

marrec said:
People have reason to be concerned about personal privacy on the internet, it's not paranoia to want to keep my name, address, phone number, username, password, security question/answers out of the hands of some lone or small group of hackers who could just as easily turn around and sell that information to god knows who in god knows where.

What's depressing is the Sony apologists who are trying to run damage control for their favorite company.

Of course, these same kind of people were the ones who were all for Blizzards 'RealID' program and the ones who have no clue why people are so concerned with privacy on Facebook. Now we have no 'RealID' and Facebook has tightened security in accourdance with customer concerns.
realid doesn't exist anymore? but i added someone's realid on starcraft 2 like a month ago.

just because someone isn't concerned with the breach doesn't mean they're a sony apologist. it just means they've taken action to protect themselves and/or are just not bothered since lots of their info could already be out there.

EDIT: i think everyone was really pissed off when it first was properly revealed by sony a few days ago, but some people have just moved on i guess...whether that's good or not. it doesn't mean they're running damage control for their favourite company.

lupinko

phosphor112 said:

Book smarts, but not street smarts.

Shambles

lupinko said:
I'm not going to bother getting in that long beaten down argument, but under the DMCA and the fact he is a US citizen and is in the US, what he did was illegal and was sued for violating/infringing on patents and copyrights.

And I just mentioned what I said earlier because he's done enough attention whoring as it is, but then again he is who he is, and won't ever grow up. meh

Clearly Sony settled with him because they are such nice people and don't want to see him get hurt. He was well within his rights and couldn't even be taken in a civil suit. It sounds like you have more issues than he does.

snap0212

lupinko said:
You'd think he would keep quiet after he got sued. smh
Why would/should he? They settled and I don't think he lost his knowledge about these things. He should comment as much as possible and so should everyone else who has the knowledge to do so!

He may be an ass and/or attention whore. He's still pretty brilliant.

ghostmind

jobber said:

Sony will be there, and just like previous years there will be roaring applause for things like purple hanna montana psp's, and nobody will know why/how/where the applause is coming from.

Called Visa and I decided not to change my credit card number. I stated them what I needed to state and they said that If someone does decide to use it, I will get full payment refund. Zero liability FTW.

verbum

xbhaskarx said:

They will walk out, annnounce new footage from Uncharted and flowers will be thrown on the stage ( I am an expert on gaming culture).

phosphor112 said:
His assertion is that they made faulty assumptions when deciding that their system was secure. Is he right? I don't know enough about the specifics. I do, however, know that you're not reading it right.

Evlar

Banned
I find it very difficult to believe someone actually hacked the PSN database by simply posing as a legitimate PS3 client. How would that even work?

marrec

Banned
btkadams said:
realid doesn't exist anymore? but i added someone's realid on starcraft 2 like a month ago.

just because someone isn't concerned with the breach doesn't mean they're a sony apologist. it just means they've taken action to protect themselves and/or are just not bothered since lots of their info could already be out there.

You are right that they don't have to be apologists, but it sure seems like there are people out there who not only aren't concerned with their privacy but want to make sure other people aren't concerned either. It's frustrating to read. No, this security breach isn't the end of the world, especially for tech savvy people who probably frequent these forums. But for my sister and her husband it could be a serious issue that they would have no knowledge about (they haven't received an E-mail yet) but for the media coverage and my warnings to keep an eye out.

Also, you aren't opted into RealID via the Blizzard forums, is what I was getting at.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom