• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN Hack Update: FAQs in OP, Read before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Nordisk Film reports info from 330 000 Finns might be compromised, pretty crazy considering there are only 5 million people in the country.

statham

beast786 said:
By the time it took to google that pic and post your comment you would have changed your CC .
and how about changing thses, how long?
lets see, siruis, water, electric, garbage, 2 different cars, sprint,att, comcast, directtv, netflix, hule, scotts yard service, target, auto insurance x2 cars, paypal, ebay, amazon just off the top of my mind I have to change

Chorazin

I think it's kinda funny that anyone who did the PSN game sharing stuff with other people are among the safest. Either you made a dummy account to buy games with PSN cards to share with internet strangers, or you shared with IRL friends and made up a pass only meaningful to the group that you would never use for personal stuff.

marrec

Banned
test_account said:
How much personal info was there on PSN? Name and adress of course, then date of birth and phonenumber, but what else was there? I cant remember.

E-mail, username, password... Uhhh. Security Questions/Answers

BeeDog

Alright, let's switch up the discussion before it gets out of hand:

What's your take on the new upcoming firmware? How do you think Sony will handle the account password resetting? Or rather, in what ways can they solve this problem?

The only way I see it, they MUST assume that each and every user still has access to the e-mail address that is connected to the attached PSN account. When you try to log back in on the account for the first time (after the update), a password reset key of some sorts will then be sent to the mail. Can't really think of anything else.

I don't recall how the secret question was used before: was it simply used to send a password reset mail to the connected address?

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
marrec said:

You want my e-mail and username? Hell... They are probably on my profile

My answers to my Security questions are misspelled and numbers added

expy

Banned
BeeDog said:

What's your take on the new upcoming firmware? How do you think Sony will handle the account password resetting? Or rather, in what ways can they solve this problem?

The only way I see it, they MUST assume that each and every user still has access to the e-mail address that is connected to the attached PSN account. When you try to log back in on the account for the first time (after the update), a password reset key of some sorts will then be sent to the mail. Can't really think of anything else.

If you can still log on to the account, you log on and change the password.

Otherwise, password reset via email. If you used the same password for email/psn then you're screwed if the hackers messed with both of your accounts. Otherwise it's easy sailing.

BeeDog said:

Yeah I can't see any other way than e-mail confirmation, which may leave many PS3s unable to reconnect. Sony's call center is going to get flooded when they relaunch. The relaunch may be even more painful than the outage and cause even more user discontentment.

test_account

XP-39C²
teruterubozu said:
Not sure but I don't even appear on whitepages.
Yeah, but i'm just wondering if there are/were enough personal info on PSN to be able to preform identity theft. On White Pages you can find people's name, adress and phone number. What other info do you need to preform identity theft?

Rebel Leader said:
e-mail. That's about it I think
marrec said:
Yep, forgot about those things :)

Tobor said:
I cancelled my debit card this morning and it's costing me $25 to have a new one expedited, otherwise it would take 7 to 10 business days. Once I get the new card, I'll have to update all my services that automatically bill.

Definitely inconvenient for me.
that sucks. you think they would have gone with banking number rather than use the card

Vitten

Something weird just happened, had an english speaking guy call me on my cellphone (which is strange as I'm in a non-english speaking country) who claimed he missed a call from my mobile and he wanted to check back on it. I sure as hell never called this guy.

I forgot if I put my cellphone number on my PSN as it's been a while but I think I did. Should I be worried or just paranoia ?

BeeDog

expy said:
If you can still log on to the account, you log on and change the password.

Otherwise, password reset via email. If you used the same password for email/psn then you're screwed if the hackers messed with both of your accounts. Otherwise it's easy sailing.

Allowing people to just log in seems counter-productive and outright dangerous. I mean, let's say all the info truly leaked in plaintext; some ill-meaning person may have found a lucrative PSN account and waits for PSN to get back up so he can log in immediately and change the password himself.

LowParry

Vitten said:
Something weird just happened, had an english speaking guy call me on my cellphone (which is strange as I'm in a non-english speaking country) who claimed he missed a call from my mobile and he wanted to check back on it. I sure as hell never called this guy.

I forgot if I put my cellphone number on my PSN as it's been a while but I think I did. Should I be worried or just paranoia ?

Hide yo kids, hide yo wives...

itxaka

Defeatist
Jax said:
I really wish I could read Statham's post history.... Damnit!

http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&...gc.r_pw.&fp=c114b5df3c1901b1&biw=1680&bih=949

You will have to look close to not mistake his name with topics about Jason Statham. If its any helps he liked Heavy Rain, so if you were expecting to find a xbox fanboy..bad luck mate.

National newspapers on Spain has the 77 million figure on the cover. What a PR nightmare. 3 Million Spanish users affected of which 330.000 could be affected if CC numbers were compromised. FML

Equus Bellator Apex

Vitten said:

How fast can you leave the country?

Vitten said:

It's probably nothing. I got a call from a lawyer last month to my new cellphone, and when I checked back they told me that they didn't even know about it. Sometimes phone companies fuck up the connections.
I was getting Short messages from some random guy that were meant for his friend and were sent to me as well.

Evlar

Banned
Unless I'm crazy, they're implying they had a physical breach of security. As in, someone walked/repelled/crawled through ductwork into the facility.

kodt

Banned
Could be a coincidence, but I recently had password reset requests on both my Amazon and Gmail account that I did not initiate. The same e-mail I used for PSN.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I kept getting this call from this creepy guy asking me if I have checked the Playstation Network. After about 5 calls, I called the police. They decided to tap the line and wait for the next call. The phone just rang and the guy asked me again. I am waiting on the police....wait a second...this may be them now.....uh huh......HOLY SHIT!!!!! THE GUY IS IN MY HOUSE! THE CALL IS FROM WITHIN MY HOUSE!!! THE HACKERS HAVE KILLED PSN AND NOW THEY ARE COMING FOR______

Chum said:
It's hard for someone who's had a fraudulent charge in the last week to not associate it with the Sony security failings. I posted this earlier in the thread, but I was contacted by my VISA department concerning a $300 charge made at 4AM Monday morning at a UK computer supply site (http://www.simplyelectronics.net/).

Can I be absolutely certain it has something to do with Sony's problems? No, and I probably never will. But the fact remains that I've never had a fraudulent charge made to this card in the 2 years that I've had it and it was saved in two places: PSN and XBL. It's the simplest explanation that the charges are related to the breach and I'm tired of people accusing others of lying or that they're in the wrong for associating the two events.
Obviously your number was stolen from Xbox Live.

Goddamed Microsoft.

Salaadin

DenogginizerOS said:
I kept getting this call from this creepy guy asking me if I have checked the Playstation Network. After about 5 calls, I called the police. They decided to tap the line and wait for the next call. The phone just rang and the guy asked me again. I am waiting on the police....wait a second...this may be them now.....uh huh......HOLY SHIT!!!!! THE GUY IS IN MY HOUSE! THE CALL IS FROM WITHIN MY HOUSE!!! THE HACKERS HAVE KILLED PSN AND NOW THEY ARE COMING FOR______

Denogginizer? Denogginizer!?

I better come over your house without telling anyone else just to make you are ok.

kodt said:
Could be a coincidence, but I recently had password reset requests on both my Amazon and Gmail account that I did not initiate. The same e-mail I used for PSN.

Ive gotten those before without me initiating. In fact, Ive received 2 this year from Xbox Live and it made me paranoid each time so I went and legitimately changed the password. I have no idea if someone is trying to get me or if they have their login confused with mine but I still dont like it.

DenogginizerOS said:

So at the end..

.. who was phone?!

darkwing

kodt said:

hmm hard to prove its related, anyone can initiate a password reset request , try to get just a random email and use it on these sites and press Forgot Password, just saying...

marrec

Banned
Rebel Leader said:
You want my e-mail and username? Hell... They are probably on my profile

My answers to my Security questions are misspelled and numbers added

That should be everyones practice but it simply isn't the case. Honestly Security Questions/Answers are a big vulnerability at this point, especially if someone has your E-mail/Username. It wouldn't be hard to use all the information recieved from the breach 'hack' other accounts.

A.R.K

Vitten said:

This will be another headline @ n4g, kotaku etc

Way to be paranoid guys ... Jeez ...everything suspicious happening is now linked to psn hacking lol

Vitten

boris feinbrand said:
It's probably nothing. I got a call from a lawyer last month to my new cellphone, and when I checked back they told me that they didn't even know about it. Sometimes phone companies fuck up the connections.
I was getting Short messages from some random guy that were meant for his friend and were sent to me as well.

Probably so.. No irregularities on my accounts so far and my bank advised me to wait a bit longer before blocking my visa. Will keep a very close look at it though.

Scenester said:
the amount of damage control going on in this topic is nothing short of staggering.

people are telling legit sounding stories about their bank/cc company dealings, and 2 posts later someone will jump on their ass calling it out as BS!
They're basically treated as if they just came here to troll and spread misinformation etc. from the same 2-3 posters. Although some stories might be bs, it's a never ending circle form here on.

Sofo

I'm so upset! I don't feel like blaming anyone, of course Sony could have informed better but none of this would have happened if someone like those hackers decided to earn some money with this. I can't wait to play Portal 2 co-op, been waiting so damn long. ;_;/

I got the email and I haven't logged into PSN since firmware 3.40, so it's definitely been a long time since I bought anything from them. But honestly I can't remember if my card was still on file.

xbhaskarx

kodt said:

Unless you can get the CEOs of Amazon and Google to create GAF accounts and verify your story (after they join GAF three months from now), this is just secondhand misinformation!!

Equus Bellator Apex

Relaxed Muscle said:
So at the end..

.. who was phone?!
20081008_mnight_250x375.jpg

DenogginizerOS said:
Breakfast?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom