• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

Dai101

Banned
OnPoint said:
Q5ZXv.jpg

ofbz2x.png

Whoa

Emonga said:
Similar to Cranky/Donkey Kong and Sub-Zero/Noob Saibot:

The Pikachu from SSB Brawl is actually the Pichu from SSB Melee, after evolution.

What happened to the Melee Pikachu no one knows. It probably died.
Proof?

Emonga said:
Similar to Cranky/Donkey Kong and Sub-Zero/Noob Saibot:

The Pikachu from SSB Brawl is actually the Pichu from SSB Melee, after evolution.

What happened to the Melee Pikachu no one knows. It probably died.
Or maybe it's enjoying retired life as a Raichu

Mudkips said:
Pointed this out in the recent thread about Gabe Newell saying "Herp derp we failed to do episodic content.", and enough people were surprised that I figured I'd post it here, too.

I bet you knew lower case lambda (λ) is the symbol used in calculating the half-life of radioactive materials (ln 2 / λ).

But did you know it's also an arm holding a crowbar?

100px-Greek_lc_lamda_thin.svg.png
this is definitely a retroactive meaning applied to the logo after the fact.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
While minor, I found a few people who didn't realize this.

Gears of War is a play on worlds of the philosophical idea of the War Machine. That the individual soldiers can be said to be the gears that run the war machine.

Yep...

Alrus said:
He wears the goggles Pichu used to wear in Melee.
Really? That's all you've got?

Also, Pichu's wall jump and taunt from Melee now belong to the Pikachu in Brawl.

Also, Pikachu's final smash is Volt Tackle, which is a move that can only be learned by Pikachus who started out as a Pichu.

Also, Pichu along with Young Link are the only two missing characters from Melee that had no hint of any data in Brawl. Because they couldn't use Pichu again, since he evolved!

Alrus

UncleSporky said:

Also, Pichu's wall jump and taunt from Melee now belong to the Pikachu in Brawl.

Also, Pikachu's final smash is Volt Tackle, which is a move that can only be learned by Pikachus who started out as a Pichu.

Also, Pichu along with Young Link are the only two missing characters from Melee that had no hint of any data in Brawl. Because they couldn't use Pichu again, since he evolved!

Heh I wasn't the one posting the original thing, I didn't do any research about this =/ It just reminded me of that comic. But yeah that's a better argument.

Leunam

Snytbaggen said:
This is probably my imagination running wild, but look at Midna's helmet

I think that's reaching a bit. The horns at the end of both helmets are pointing in different directions, one helmet is way more ornate, and the other covers most of the face.

UncleSporky said:

damn

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Leunam said:
I think that's reaching a bit. The horns at the end of both helmets are pointing in different directions, one helmet is way more ornate, and the other covers most of the face.
What's more interesting is the whole snake theme going on.

UncleSporky said:

Weren't they going to do Plusle and Minun instead? Pichu was a pretty uninteresting clone; at best it was the Smash version of Dan, and that's a bit of a stretch.

you know what blows my mind? the fact that this thread is over THREE years old now. i feel like it's only been a year or so since this was posted.

time flies. good thread.

Talladega Knight said:
you know what blows my mind? the fact that this thread is over THREE years old now. i feel like it's only been a year or so since this was posted.

time flies. good thread.

I'd say it's about the best and worst thread, alternately, on GAF.

wrowa

Not exactly mind-blowing, but nevertheless interesting to know: In the late 60s Nintendo released so-called "N&B" blocks, which were essentially copies of Lego.

Related to that: Yamauchi's son appeared in N&B commercials (he isn't the boy in that picture, though), in Super Mario Land 2 was a level made of these N&B bricks and Lego tried to sue Nintendo over plagiarism and comparative adverts but failed at court.

German article I got the pictures from

nbsteine1.png

nbblock.png

sml2_nb.png

wrowa said:
Not exactly mind-blowing, but nevertheless interesting to know: In the late 60s Nintendo released so-called "N&B" blocks, which were essentially copies of Lego.

Related to that: Yamauchi's son appeared in N&B commercials (he isn't the boy in that picture, though), in Super Mario Land 2 was a level made of these N&B bricks and Lego tried to sue Nintendo of plagiarism and comparative adverts but failed at court.

sml2_nb.png
Thread once again back on track. Thanks for sharing.

I knew mario land 2 would be holding more stuff like this, I also forgot that mario land 2 had that lego like stage, been a long time since I played it.

I was reading about the changes from mother 2 and earthbound and just noticed something, PAL and asian super nintendo had coloured buttons on the controller, NTSC and american pads had two shades of blue for the buttons.

Is this correct? because having all blue buttons seems rather odd and silly.

*edit*
http://wii.mmgn.com/Articles/Nintendo-Controlling-the-Evolu said:
Only slight variations between the regional SNES console controllers which are mealy cosmetic. Pictured above are both the NTSC US released controller and the PAL controller. As you can see the NTSC controller has purple coloured action buttons which match the system's colour scheme. The X and Y buttons have a slight concave surface and a slightly different logo in the centre. The PAL version and the Super Famicom controller both use the same colour scheme but the Super Nintendo logo replaces the Super Famicom one.

Concaved buttons? :eek:

webrunner

Diablohead said:
I was reading about the changes from mother 2 and earthbound and just noticed something, PAL and asian super nintendo had coloured buttons on the controller, NTSC and american pads had two shades of blue for the buttons.

Is this correct? because having all blue buttons seems rather odd and silly.

*edit*

Concaved buttons? :eek:

Yup:
fmxoF.jpg

wrowa said:

Related to that: Yamauchi's son appeared in N&B commercials (he isn't the boy in that picture, though), in Super Mario Land 2 was a level made of these N&B bricks and Lego tried to sue Nintendo of plagiarism and comparative adverts but failed at court.

Just to clarify: did Lego try to sue Nintendo over the Super Mario Land 2 level or over the N&B bricks?

wrowa

RockXLight said:
Just to clarify: did Lego try to sue Nintendo over the Super Mario Land 2 level or over the N&B bricks?
Lego tried to sue Nintendo over the bricks, not the level. It wasn't exactly surprising, though, since N&B was a pretty shameless rip-off; the bricks even had the same size as Lego bricks. But the main reason Lego went to court was apparently Nintendo's TV spots, in which two children tried to build a rocket, but only one them used the cool rounded N&B bricks while the other one used the lame, blocky bricks by another company... and he wasn't satisfied with them.

The commercial didn't mention Lego by name, but it was enough for Lego to sue Nintendo over comparative advertising and also plagiarism.

Azure J

Wow, and here I've been wondering what the N&B logo meant in that level of SML2. That's 15+ years worth of intrigue satisfied there. :lol

thomaser

Is this what has kept Lego from making Nintendo-themed sets? It's such an obvious idea, and I have long wondered why it hasn't happened yet.

Jasoco

Banned
wrowa said:

nbblock.png
*pfft* Stupid kid. That person's too big for that house.

Tarin02543

RockXLight said:
Rest in peace, my friend:

HuYaz.jpg

The mystery has been solved.

SMB2 was a typo there, I actually meant SML2 for gameboy. I did not know SMB2 had N&B blocks as well.

This thread is like a chocolate pie divided in infinite slices!

Jasoco

Banned
Tarin02543 said:
SMB2 was a typo there, I actually meant SML2 for gameboy. I did not know SMB2 had N&B blocks as well.

This thread is like a chocolate pie divided in infinite slices!
It doesn't. That was a joke. Those are bricks with N&P badly photoshopped on.

Top Bottom