• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

Jasoco

Banned
RockXLight said:
Ding, ding, ding! Ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner! :D
The SML2 one is real. The SMB2 one is not.

Funny though I haven't played that level in SML2 in 15 years and seeing that screenshot brought back memories of it too. I too always wondered what it meant. Thank science for todays internet!

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
Jasoco said:
*pfft* Stupid kid. That person's too big for that house.

That's a small, but powerful, mecha. See the other bricks scattered in front of him? That used to be another house.

webrunner

RockXLight said:
Rest in peace, my friend:

HuYaz.jpg

The mystery has been solved.

the bricks on the sides don't have outline edges where they're cut off.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
So...does N&B just stand for "Nintendo Blocks" with the "&" thrown in for no reason, or do they stand for something else?

webrunner said:
the bricks on the sides don't have outline edges where they're cut off.

Well yeah, but...hat has nothing to do with my bad photoshopping and everything to do with the original picture:
SMB2Screen5-3.png

wrowa said:
The commercial didn't mention Lego by name, but it was enough for Lego to sue Nintendo over comparative advertising and also plagiarism.

I thought comparative advertising was legal though. McDonalds and Burger King and Coke and Pepsi used to do it all the time.

Jasoco

Banned
RockXLight said:
Well yeah, but...hat has nothing to do with my bad photoshopping and everything to do with the original picture:
SMB2Screen5-3.png

I thought comparative advertising was legal though. McDonalds and Burger King and Coke and Pepsi used to do it all the time.
It used to be illegal in the 80's and before. Like when Wendy's had a now well known child celebrity mention McDonalds. McDonalds sued. For a while you had to dance around the competition's name. Now-a-days it's blatant. Not sure if some law was repealed or it became okay to do it. Maybe it's protected by free speech like parody and satire.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Jasoco said:
It used to be illegal in the 80's and before. Like when Wendy's had a now well known child celebrity mention McDonalds. McDonalds sued. For a while you had to dance around the competition's name. Now-a-days it's blatant. Not sure if some law was repealed or it became okay to do it. Maybe it's protected by free speech like parody and satire.
Well, if this is legal, just about anything is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lag2vDx2faQ

I don't know what they thought the ad was a good idea.

Jasoco

Banned
I know, sometimes I hate it too. It's obviously not illegal anymore (Maybe never was. Might have just been a fuzzy area) because some companies rip into others. Like AT&T and Verizon and T-Mobile. Or Apple and Microsoft. Or even TV shows like Community ripping on Glee and Shit My Dad Says. Though that's not as blatant and is funny as hell.

wrowa

Watch Da Birdie said:
So...does N&B just stand for "Nintendo Blocks" with the "&" thrown in for no reason, or do they stand for something else?
The logo is kinda funny. N&B Block. Nintendo & Block Block.

RetroMG

I don't know if this has been posted, but a friend pointed out to me the other day that Layton becomes happier in the Icons for each Professor Layton Game.

Curious Village:
L1.gif

Diabolical Box:
L2.gif

Unwound Future:
L3.gif

RetroGamer42 said:
I don't know if this has been posted, but a friend pointed out to me the other day that Layton becomes happier in the Icons for each Professor Layton Game.

Curious Village:
L1.gif

Diabolical Box:
L2.gif

Unwound Future:
L3.gif
Hah! that's great, another puzzle solved!

The Professor Layton game boot icons is neat. Makes me wonder what 4 is like, too happy to be outside of Japan, thus confined to it I'd guess.

wrowa said:
The logo is kinda funny. N&B Block. Nintendo & Block Block.
And now Mario Mario has some context.

Starwolf_UK said:
The Professor Layton game boot icons is neat. Makes me wonder what 4 is like, too happy to be outside of Japan, thus confined to it I'd guess.
Maybe they go for the opposite approach, they will go from..
1. Thinking pose
2. Face of Doubt
3. Pulling the hat down in shame
"frankly i'm embarrassed"

wrowa

On a related note: This charming kid is supposed to be the son of Hiroshi Yamauchi, former president of Nintendo that we all love and fear.

TheOGB

Banned
RetroGamer42 said:

Curious Village:
L1.gif

Diabolical Box:
L2.gif

Unwound Future:
L3.gif
:|

:eek:

:O

Jasoco said:
I know, sometimes I hate it too. It's obviously not illegal anymore (Maybe never was. Might have just been a fuzzy area) because some companies rip into others. Like AT&T and Verizon and T-Mobile. Or Apple and Microsoft. Or even TV shows like Community ripping on Glee and Shit My Dad Says. Though that's not as blatant and is funny as hell.

Or The Cape. God that's funny. Same network though.

Jasoco

Banned
The Shadow said:
Or The Cape. God that's funny. Same network though.
Well, isn't Glee on at the same time as Community? And Shit My Dad Says was at 8:30, but close enough. The Cape pokes were just making fun of shows that get all hyped up and then canceled fast.

Dunan

As a kid I never knew if the name of that Domino's "Noid" character was supposed to be old-style-Brooklynese* for "nerd" or the last syllable of "Dominoid".

* My great-grandma used to say 'toilet' as 'terlet'

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
wrowa said:
Not exactly mind-blowing, but nevertheless interesting to know: In the late 60s Nintendo released so-called "N&B" blocks, which were essentially copies of Lego.

Related to that: Yamauchi's son appeared in N&B commercials (he isn't the boy in that picture, though), in Super Mario Land 2 was a level made of these N&B bricks and Lego tried to sue Nintendo over plagiarism and comparative adverts but failed at court.

German article I got the pictures from

nbsteine1.png

nbblock.png

sml2_nb.png
I had no idea Nintendo made Legos! I really want some Nintendo Legos now! Also, never knew it was Nintendo Legos is that SML2 level! All the Nintendo stuff in this thread is really amazing!

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
randomlyrossy said:
So is this the only example of product placement in a Nintendo game?
No.

Wave Race 64 featured Kawasaki product placement... removed in the VC version.

Pikmin 2 featured Duracell batteries and 7-up bottle caps.

I'm sure there are others.

pikmin21.jpg

BocoDragon said:
No.

Wave Race 64 featured Kawasaki product placement... removed in the VC version.

Pikmin 2 featured Duracell batteries and 7-up bottle caps.

I'm sure there are others.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y216/bocodragon/pikmin21.jpgIMG][/QUOTE]
[img]http://www.vgcats.com/comics/images/041129.jpg

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
^ The thing that's dumb about that is I doubt they put Duracell etc in Pikmin 2 for the money. It's Nintendo... they aren't generally whores in that way. They probably did it to add realistic everyday objects and enhance the reality of the micro-sized landscape.

BocoDragon said:
^ The thing that's dumb about that is I doubt they put Duracell etc in Pikmin 2 for the money. It's Nintendo... they aren't generally whores in that way. They probably did it to add realistic everyday objects and enhance the reality of the micro-sized landscape.
I agree. It worked with me, at least. I remember being shocked at how small everything was in comparison to some of that stuff
only to have that feeling taken away during Olimar's scenario in Subspace Emissary

BocoDragon said:
Both are correct. It adds to the realism, but it's still product placement that Nintendo received a tidy sum for.

(BTW, Nintendo not being whores officially went completely out the window with the release of a SNES rom as a full-price retail release to "celebrate" the 25th anniversary of Mario Bros.)

BocoDragon said:

BAHAHAHA

Easy_D

never left the stone age
As usual, the VGCats comic could have ended by the second panel and got the point across.

Edit: As I don't want to derail this topic into a shitty descussion regarding VGC and its shittiness, let me BLOW YOUR MINDS with one of those lame musical things

Donkey Kong 64 Creepy Castle

Donkey Kong ARCADE

I know a lot of these have just been coincidences/similarities but I'll be damned if that part of Creepy Castle wasn't based on that one intro jingle from Donkey Kong

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Professor Beef said:
http://www.vgcats.com/comics/images/041129.jpg
After reading the first two panels I've come to the conclusion that VG Cats is the Duracell battery of the web comic world.

Jintor

Minor facts

- The Japanese voice actor for Godot in the Ace Attorney series is Hideki Kamiya.

- Orson Scott Card of Ender's Game fame wrote the insult swordfights for Monkey Island and worked on the script of The Dig.

Lo_Fi

Jintor said:
Minor facts

- The Japanese voice actor for Godot in the Ace Attorney series is Hideki Kamiya.

- Orson Scott Card of Ender's Game fame wrote the insult swordfights for Monkey Island and worked on the script of The Dig.

To #2, do you have a source? That's so awesome if true.

low-G

Fuzzy said:
After reading the first two panels I've come to the conclusion that VG Cats is the Duracell battery of the web comic world.

One of only two in the world worth paying money for?

No, I get it...

Top Bottom