• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

Nocturnowl said:
As for DKC3 you can tell if you have all the bonus coins because the level flag on the world map will be fully blowing in the apparent breeze whereas if you haven't found all the bonus coins the flag will be lagging somewhat. Also a gold pennant amongst the flag indicates that you have the DK coin for that level.
I think the reason I knew about the DKC3 one was because it was noticeable. Still doesn't change the fact that I was stupid for not noticing the exclamation mark at the end of a level's name. I was wondering the other day how people knew they collected all the DKC2 bonus coins in certain stages. :p

whitehawk

Banned
Shadowlink said:
After collecting the bonus coins in Donkey Kong Country 2, they would add the exclamation mark at the end of the level's name. Never noticed this until now.
Really? It's meant so you know which levels you gave 100%'ed or not.

Koren

Soru said:
The SNES had an online system called Sattaliview, which allowed people to download game news updates and game specific add-ons at certain times of the day over dial-up. One I remember was alternate costumes for Legend of zelda: link to the past.

USA had xband for the snes which was something similar, but I've never heard much about it.
It's Satellaview, and it wasn't using dial-up for downloading, but satellite broadcasting (you had to connect the device attached to the SNES to a specific sattelite channel at a specific hour I think to download the data on a special rewritable cartridge).

An it was more than just add-ons, there was two special Zeldas distributed over the service, one based on the original Legend of Zelda, one on A Link to the Past. They were time-based, and distributed using an episodic scheme.

I really would have liked to play those (I should look for emulation, I guess, I think they were turnded into roms by enthousiats... but I would have liked that Nintendo sold them on VC during an hanabi festival)

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Koren said:
It's Satellaview, and it wasn't using dial-up for downloading, but satellite broadcasting (you had to connect the device attached to the SNES to a specific sattelite channel at a specific hour I think to download the data on a special rewritable cartridge).

An it was more than just add-ons, there was two special Zeldas distributed over the service, one based on the original Legend of Zelda, one on A Link to the Past. They were time-based, and distributed using an episodic scheme.

I really would have liked to play those (I should look for emulation, I guess, I think they were turnded into roms by enthousiats... but I would have liked that Nintendo sold them on VC during an hanabi festival)
They were VERY special versions of Zelda games. You can read all about it here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BS_Zelda

But, long story short, they were either remakes (with added content) or offshoot "sidequests"on the Zelda Universe. The main character wasn't Link, but it had the gameplay mechanic we all know.

Since each game was distributed in 4 different parts and all those parts were written on 8megabit rewritable cartridges, in some cases, the missing parts were re-created from scratch.

I didn't read the entire article, nor I researched further upon it, but from what I remember, the BSZelda versions available on the wild are not complete (as not everything was salvaged). Most of these games had a vocal track that would be streamed and played with the game (the Story elements were READ to you). Those voice files were never recovered, so you're missing most of what these games were about: The story.

Koren said:

Ah ok, fair enough.

Just saw this near the 20 page mark.

SonicMario.jpg

Many people were calling bullshit, however I think it looks like the statue mario turns into in super mario bros 3.

Thoughts?

Roto13

heavyness said:
Was there something in that game if you stayed in the overworld long enough, the music turned into a steel drum version of the mario theme? Or I'm I thinking of something else?
Ok, now this is one I didn't know. :p

Koren

drizzle said:
They were VERY special versions of Zelda games. You can read all about it here:[/Quotemsg]
Yeah, I know. I still would like to be able to play them. T_T

drizzle said:
Most of these games had a vocal track that would be streamed and played with the game (the Story elements were READ to you). Those voice files were never recovered, so you're missing most of what these games were about: The story.
If I'm not mistaken, the games were played *during* the broadcast, or something like that, so some data wasn't indeed downloaded. Besides this, I think a lot of events were triggered, so it was a nightmare to come close to a working dump.

That's the reason I never tried to find them as ROMs (that and the fact that I simply can't play on an emulator... I have still bought many SNES games recently, because I need to play the real thing). I would really like that Nintendo ressurect those (that probably will never hapen, though).

Koren

drizzle said:
They were VERY special versions of Zelda games. You can read all about it here:
Yeah, I know. I still would like to be able to play them. T_T

drizzle said:
Most of these games had a vocal track that would be streamed and played with the game (the Story elements were READ to you). Those voice files were never recovered, so you're missing most of what these games were about: The story.
If I'm not mistaken, the games were played *during* the broadcast, or something like that, so some data wasn't indeed downloaded. Besides this, I think a lot of events were triggered, so it was a nightmare to come close to a working dump.

That's the reason I never tried to find them as ROMs (that and the fact that I simply can't play on an emulator... I have still bought many SNES games recently, because I need to play the real thing). I would really like that Nintendo ressurect those (that probably will never hapen, though).

Platy said:
Flute song from both Mario 3 and Zelda ....and it was the main theme on ocarina of time ! =O You learn a new thing everyday!

Ocarina theme if anyone needs to remember
I said WAT. No way. That is super awesome. Mind blown. I knew the Mario/Zelda thing, but Ocarina of time too? Wow.

Magnus

Someone help me understand the significance of Dunan's find, as someone who never played Nier and probably never will.

Why is it significant that
the letters signifying human DNA (ATGC) appear on the main character?

How did that bring about a different understanding of the story? Feel free to spoil me in spoiler tags. I love the shit out of details and hidden finds like this, especially when related to written languages and text, but I know I'm just never going to get around to playing Nier, so hit me.

bengraven

Gravijah said:
All stage themes but the ghost house and castle themes.

And the music in fact changes when you get on Yoshi, not at the beginning. If you lose Yoshi, the music changes back.

Weird how this is mind-blowing to someone. I noticed this at the age of 10 in the pre-internet days.

Shahadan

Magnus said:
Someone help me understand the significance of Dunan's find, as someone who never played Nier and probably never will.

How did that bring about a different understanding of the story? Feel free to spoil me in spoiler tags. I love the shit out of details and hidden finds like this, especially when related to written languages and text, but I know I'm just never going to get around to playing Nier, so hit me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nier_(video_game)
There is the entire plot here. The way it is described make it seem more convoluted than in the game apparently, but it does the job.

Magnus said:

If you're never going to play the game, why does something significant to the story matter?

Jintor said:
- Orson Scott Card of Ender's Game fame wrote the insult swordfights for Monkey Island and worked on the script of The Dig.

Even more incredible is that, in the light of this knowledge, neither of those games are hatefully homophobic.

styl3s

ShockingAlberto said:
Yup. It's so you can place it vertically.

The PS3 (phat, at least) has this, too.
When i saw this post i was like horse shit then i went and sure enough it twisted on my fat ps3.. i was like WHHHHAAAAAAAAAAT *mind blown*

Shahadan said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nier_(video_game)
There is the entire plot here. The way it is described make it seem more convoluted than in the game apparently, but it does the job.
A lot of Nier's story is actually not in the game; it's either simply implied or in a book that was released only in Japan called "Grimoire Nier."

To sum up why the
DNA thing
is so significant: (pretty much 80% of the plot of Nier spoiled!)

There's a disease in Nier called the Black Scrawl. Your main goal in the first half of the game is to cure it, and throughout the rest of the game you see it kill many people.

As it turns out, the "humans" in Nier are actually a race of artificial lifeforms designed to clean up the planet after a catastrophe wiped out modern-day Earth. These lifeforms didn't have "souls," and they were created from the DNA of the original humans, who were transformed into "souls" themselves to reunite with their bodies after the danger had past. Every time a Replicant dies from old age or any other reason, a new one is cloned from the DNA of the Gestalt (original).

The enemies you kill in the game are actually the souls of people (some mindless from waiting too long to reunite, many simply mistaken as "monsters" by the main character), and the Black Scrawl is actually a genetic disorder caused when the Replicant is either cloned from a relapsed (mindless) Gestalt, or when that Replicant's corresponding Gestalt is destroyed. As you get better and better at killing Shades (what Gestalts are called by Replicants), you notice more and more people dying, but assume that the disease is simply spreading by itself.

In the end, you unwittingly destroy not only the cure for the Black Scrawl, but also your own original self, who was all that was keeping every Gestalt in the world from relapsing. So in your quest to stop the monsters and cure the disease... you end up dooming the entire Replicant race to die from the disease and be overrun by mindless monster Gestalts. Oh, and you sterilize them too by destroying the system that carried out the cloning process, but that's something else. Nier's a depressing game!

drizzle

Axel Hertz
EmCeeGramr said:
To sum up why the
DNA thing
is so significant: (pretty much 80% of the plot of Nier spoiled!)
See. Now I want to play the damn game, which I had ZERO desire before.

Good stories are nice. Is it nicely laid out in the game?

drizzle said:
See. Now I want to play the damn game, which I had ZERO desire before.

Good stories are nice. Is it nicely laid out in the game?
Like, I said, a lot of the background stuff is either merely implied rather than outright said, or is purely in supplemental material. But the stuff that's there is built very well, and sometimes told in a very unorthodox matter. The final ending of the game is amazing at how effective it is at making you care about everything that happened.

The game itself focuses more on the characters (stuff that I didn't include for that very reason)and their hardships in the world that Cavia built, rather than on the backstory. They really built a world too. There's a timeline in Grimoire Nier that includes all sorts of stuff that's either barely hinted at or never hinted at at all in the game, enough to base at least two prequels on.

It actually works pretty well: you experience the game and see the journey the characters go through and the world they live in, and then you read up on this stuff (Grimoire Nier includes a timeline, developer interviews clarifying and revealing things, and short stories about the world and game that range from heartwarming, to revealing, to horrifying) and it's all given a greater context.

This is one I occurred in high school..

So for all of those who have played Legend of Zelda wind waker. We all meet a fiesty pirate called Tetra, right? Well she turns out to be princess Zelda right, so why did nintendo decide to give her the temporary title of Tetra?

Well ask your self this, mathematically what is the name of the triforce?

Answer:
A tetrahedron

Soru said:

So for all of those who have played Legend of Zelda wind waker. We all meet a fiesty pirate called Tetra, right? Well she turns out to be princess Zelda right, so why did nintendo decide to give her the temporary title of Tetra?

Answer:
A tetrahedron
Oh shit, I just blew my
brainz
2 times on the same page

Well done gaffers, well done.

Clipper

Soru said:

Answer:
A tetrahedron
No, the Triforce is not a tetrahedron. The Triforces of Power, Wisdom and Courage are triangular prisms and the complete Triforce is a different prism formed from the second stage of the Sierpinski Triangle. A tetrahedron is a triangular-based pyramid.

I think the only place where the separate Triforces have been depicted as tetrahedrons is the cartoon, which is certainly not canon.

Neo Child

Banned
Not that mental but neat, hold 'C' in Mario Galaxy 2 (maybe 1 aswell?) to change the camera angle when your flying through space after shooting from a launch star

bengraven said:
And the music in fact changes when you get on Yoshi, not at the beginning. If you lose Yoshi, the music changes back.

Weird how this is mind-blowing to someone. I noticed this at the age of 10 in the pre-internet days.
Weirder still considering it happens in World, Sunshine, Galaxy 2, and NSMB Wii as well...

TheOGB

Banned
Neo Child said:
Not that mental but neat, hold 'C' in Mario Galaxy 2 (maybe 1 aswell?) to change the camera angle when your flying through space after shooting from a launch star
This has the potential to be very mind-blowing

Clipper said:
No, the Triforce is not a tetrahedron. The Triforces of Power, Wisdom and Courage are triangular prisms and the complete Triforce is a different prism formed from the second stage of the Sierpinski Triangle. A tetrahedron is a triangular-based pyramid.

I think the only place where the separate Triforces have been depicted as tetrahedrons is the cartoon, which is certainly not canon.

I understand what you're saying, ones a fractal and ones just a prism. However visually the way it's represented in the game is the same thing (at least the nets are). I don't see there being a problem with Tetra being named that way. Also, to mention your last point.

I'm not sure if this is official artwork to go with the game, seems like it but here, depicts the scene of Ganon being sealed into the dark world by the sages using the triforce in the form of a prism. (this is for Link to the past btw)

2hx5yk9.jpg

There is another picture with Ganon in his pig form squashed on the inside. So yeah, I don't see a problem in the end. Could be coincidence, but if it wasn't nintendo who made this game I would believe it was coincidence.

Leezard

Soru said:
I understand what you're saying, ones a fractal and ones just a prism. However visually the way it's represented in the game is the same thing (at least the nets are). I don't see there being a problem with Tetra being named that way. Also, to mention your last point.

I'm not sure if this is official artwork to go with the game, seems like it but here, depicts the scene of Ganon being sealed into the dark world by the sages using the triforce in the form of a prism. (this is for Link to the past btw)

2hx5yk9.jpg

There is another picture with Ganon in his pig form squashed on the inside. So yeah, I don't see a problem in the end. Could be coincidence, but if it wasn't nintendo who made this game I would believe it was coincidence.

I remember that art from the game, it should be legit. Yet in the game, the triforce is not a pyramid.

jaxword

Clipper said:

All 3 can form a Tetrahedron....without a base side. Maybe if they never pick it up, people won't realize it's hollow.

Jasoco

Banned
SpongeBob NoPants said:
It's funny, but I remember when the Energizer Bunny campaign started. I was there. I was watching TV when it happened. And until only recently, I didn't know it was a parody campaign of Duracell's own much older campaign. When I was a kid Energizer had the bunny and Duracell had different toys in their commercials. If not for Wikipedia I wouldn't have known there was a Duracell Bunny.

Clipper

Soru said:

2hx5yk9.jpg

That image is from the SNES LttP manual. Ganon wasn't sealed in the Triforce in the imprisoning war mentioned in the back story of the game, he was sealed in the Golden Realm, where the Triforce resided. Thus, the shown pyramid is a representation of the cage the wise men/sages placed on the Golden Realm to ensure Ganon didn't escape (and Ganon turned the Golden Realm into the Dark World while he was trapped). It's not a representation of the Triforce or any of its pieces.

LttP itself shows the complete and separate Triforces in 3D in the title screen and the pieces are clearly triangular prisms, not pyramids.

ksteshenko

Neo Member
Everything I've read states that Escape from New York was a big inspiration to Hideo Kojima for the Metal Gear Solid series and the character of Snake. But I've just watched the film that must have been the other huge inspiration, James Cameron's True Lies which came out in '94.

Not only was the beginning infiltration scene with Arnold in a scuba suit "borrowed" for the intro sequence of Metal Gear Solid, not to mention the spotlights, roaming guards are snowy setting, but do you recognize this fellow, played by Charlton Heston?

truelies.jpg

SNAKE!!!!!!

Old Snake that is.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Probably not a mind-blowing nugget, but I observed something today that I found amusing.

The heroes in the Valkyria Chronicles are all tied to the number 7.

In VC1, you command Squad 7
In VC2, you command Class G (G is the 7th letter in the alphabet)
In VC3, the commander of the Nameless squad 422, Kurt Irving, is designated No. 7

Just found that amusing.

ksteshenko said:
Everything I've read states that Escape from New York was a big inspiration to Hideo Kojima for the Metal Gear Solid series and the character of Snake. But I've just watched the film that must have been the other huge inspiration, James Cameron's True Lies which came out in '94.

Not only was the beginning infiltration scene with Arnold in a scuba suit "borrowed" for the intro sequence of Metal Gear Solid, not to mention the spotlights, roaming guards are snowy setting, but do you recognize this fellow, played by Charlton Heston?

[IG]http://www.ecuad.ca/~ksteshenko/truelies.jpg[/IMG]

SNAKE!!!!!!

Old Snake that is.

Infiltrating through water was in the original Metal Gear, though (1987).

-Winnie-

RurouniZel said:
Probably not a mind-blowing nugget, but I observed something today that I found amusing.

The heroes in the Valkyria Chronicles are all tied to the number 7.

In VC1, you command Squad 7
In VC2, you command Class G (G is the 7th letter in the alphabet)
In VC2, the commander of the Nameless squad 422, Kurt Irving, is designated No. 7

Just found that amusing.

I just started VC2 recently and I noticed the connection and had a chuckle. :)

Top Bottom