• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Performance Thread [Enhanced Edition Patch - New content & 100+ fixes]

Easy_D

never left the stone age
BoobPhysics101 said:
Turn everything on that you'd like, but try enabling 'Dangling Objects Limit', set Texture Memory to Very High, and turn SSAO + Antialiasing off.

This only gets enabled if antialiasing is turned on; I believe it's to combat blur caused by MLAA. So no need to turn it off.

You COULD try forcing it off when AA is enabled and see if it lets you use AA without as big of a performance hit?
But it runs absolutely fine, it must be a memory leak issue, other than the few times it starts behaving weird in Flotsam, it runs exceptionally well :). A quick reload solves the issue as well. It has to be a memory leak. It usually happens after spending time inside.

Edit: Er. Yeah, I am an idiot. I forgot I made that other post and didn't realise it was in response for that. For my confusion I blame lack of sleep and lot's of schoolwork.

Easy_D said:
But it runs absolutely fine, it must be a memory leak issue, other than the few times it starts behaving weird in Flotsam, it runs exceptionally well :). A quick reload solves the issue as well. It has to be a memory leak. It usually happens after spending time inside.

The game does have a memory leak right now, so if performance sucks after extended playtime, that's your culprit.

The patch will fix this.

Kyaw

BoobPhysics101 said:
This only gets enabled if antialiasing is turned on; I believe it's to combat blur caused by MLAA. So no need to turn it off.

You COULD try forcing it off when AA is enabled and see if it lets you use AA without as big of a performance hit?

Ah i see. Have you tried other types of AA? Like MSAA?

Kyaw said:
Ah i see. Have you tried other types of AA? Like MSAA?

My best educated guess is that the game's deferred shading techniques are not compatible with antialiasing since it's using DirectX 9. Same thing is true of Bad Company 2 in DX9 mode. DX9 simply isn't compatible with deferred shading + antialiasing. This is why the developers used MLAA.

DX10 + DX11 don't suffer from the same problem.

gdt

yHzwN.png

AMD 6770m.

Pulling 25-30 in the prologue, only drop a frame or 2 in combat. Fucking ecstatic with how it looks. I could probably tweak a bit more, but I'm happy with the way it is now. It auto detects to medium, but I push up a few options (texture memory, decal, shadows, etc)

No invert mouse is killing me though. But I assume there'll be a patch for that.

Minsc

Gold Member
gdt5016 said:
No invert mouse is killing me though. But I assume there'll be a patch for that.

There's actually a link to instructions for that in the OP, but yes, they mentioned it will be in the first patch if all goes well :)

gdt

Ugh, just took some pics, but fraps didn't include the framerate counter. But yeah, 25-30, pretty solid. Doesn't really move from that. Very happy. On a 6770m/quad core.

And yeah yeah, compressed, I know.

FwJgs.png

z2Gxx.png

j4BQg.png

2KLn2.png

I know the Ulta-lites look down on me, but don't ruin my party! I was expecting super low crap :lol.

Aurarian

Update on the patch:
Quoted from the community post.
Guys,

Good news. Patch 1.1 is soon to be released! Test are in progress.
Current ETA is Wednesday evening (Europe time)

Please expect major improvments:) and solution for most of the problems. Including:

- activation/installation problems
- better performance (owners of retail version will notice the biggest difference)
- no more DLC download/activation problems (Troll DLC will be INCLUDED in the patch itself, so
no need to download and install it)
- Nvidia 3D vision problem solved
- invert mouse and keyboard mapping

and many more:)

To be sure that all people will have an access to this patch there will be option of manuall download and installation.

Sorry 4 all problems, we will work hard to be sure that eventually all of you will be fully satified!

Michal
CDP RED
PS. Once this patch is in the tests right now, we already have started working on the next one in which we want to solve some more issues, including hardware specific problems (ie. g35 compatibility). Patch 1.1 seems to be very major one, but still if you don't find your problem on the list, there is a big chance that it will fixed soon in next patch. And we will really do all this ASAP.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Minsc, awesome job on the OP mate.

Ugh, just took some pics, but fraps didn't include the framerate counter. But yeah, 25-30, pretty solid. Doesn't really move from that. Very happy. On a 6770m/quad core.

You don't need 60 fps for this game, it's no Ninja gaiden ;)

If the fps is stable you're good to go.

Michal
CDP RED
PS. Once this patch is in the tests right now, we already have started working on the next one in which we want to solve some more issues, including hardware specific problems (ie. g35 compatibility). Patch 1.1 seems to be very major one, but still if you don't find your problem on the list, there is a big chance that it will fixed soon in next patch. And we will really do all this ASAP.

<3 CDP.

Brofist

gdt5016 said:
AMD 6770m.

Pulling 25-30 in the prologue, only drop a frame or 2 in combat. Fucking ecstatic with how it looks. I could probably tweak a bit more, but I'm happy with the way it is now. It auto detects to medium, but I push up a few options (texture memory, decal, shadows, etc)

I'd kill SSAO for a nice FPS boost. You could probably get away with bumping some other options up and still get a higher frame rate with SSAO off.

epmode

Yurt said:
Minsc, awesome job on the OP mate.
It really is a great post.

And good news about the incoming patch! I've been holding off until that troll quest is fixed and I'm excited to get back to Flotsam.

gdt

kpop100 said:
I'd kill SSAO for a nice FPS boost. You could probably get away with bumping some other options up and still get a higher frame rate with SSAO off.

Thanks for the tip, I'll give that a shot.

WEGGLES

Aurarian said:
Update on the patch:
Quoted from the community post.
Guys,

Good news. Patch 1.1 is soon to be released! Test are in progress.
Current ETA is Wednesday evening (Europe time)

Please expect major improvments:) and solution for most of the problems. Including:

- activation/installation problems
- better performance (owners of retail version will notice the biggest difference)
- no more DLC download/activation problems (Troll DLC will be INCLUDED in the patch itself, so
no need to download and install it)
- Nvidia 3D vision problem solved
- invert mouse and keyboard mapping

and many more:)

To be sure that all people will have an access to this patch there will be option of manuall download and installation.

Sorry 4 all problems, we will work hard to be sure that eventually all of you will be fully satified!

Michal
CDP RED
Sounds like the patch removes the DRM?

Reallink

kpop100 said:

Has anyone done comparison pics of SSAO On/Off? Curious to see how much difference it makes (visually) and whether it may be worth killing on even more powerful cards. A lot of these effects are subjective and not objectively better looking, wondering where SSAO fits in.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
PC am upgrade!

now my rig is

i5@2.8
8 gigs ram
and.... GTX 460!

I was with a GT9600 earlier and game looks lovely, should I expect a big difference? or something small?

Brofist

Reallink said:
Has anyone done comparison pics of SSAO On/Off? Curious to see how much difference it makes (visually) and whether it may be worth killing on even more powerful cards. A lot of these effects are subjective and not objectively better looking, wondering where SSAO fits in.

I don't have any comparison pics readily available, although I'm certain there are some floating around the net. From my experience though it seems like a very subtle difference, not worth the more frequent frame rate dips, and on average about 10 FPS less for me. I'm running a 480GTX btw. I get a pretty consistent 60 FPS on Ultra with it off.

gdt5016 said:
yHzwN.png

AMD 6770m.

There's already an invert mouse fix.

Turn off SSAO and Antialiasing, turn shadows up to High or Ultra. Turning off SSAO and AA will give you a 10-15 FPS boost.

gdt

BoobPhysics101 said:
There's already an invert mouse fix.

Turn off SSAO and Antialiasing, turn shadows up to High or Ultra. Turning off SSAO and AA will give you a 10-15 FPS boost.

I love AA though :(. But I'll definitely turn on SSAO.

Izayoi

Banned
dgenx said:
PC am upgrade!

now my rig is

i5@2.8
8 gigs ram
and.... GTX 460!

I was with a GT9600 earlier and game looks lovely, should I expect a big difference? or something small?
That's a fairly significant upgrade. What settings were you running it on with your 9600 GT?

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
Izayoi said:
That's a fairly significant upgrade. What settings were you running it on with your 9600 GT?

medium settings, the only thing I tweaked was AAon and 1280 of res

C2Q said:
Is anyone playing this on an ASUS G51Jx? How's the performance/settings?

Or a GTS 360m user.

I just sold my G60JX (same as G51), didn't try Witcher 2 on it though. You should be able to run it on High with AA, SSAO, Motion Blur, and Depth of Field (all of them) turned off with good FPS.

gdt5016 said:
I love AA though :(. But I'll definitely turn on SSAO.

Wait til patches/drivers to enable AA, it's a big performance killer right now, especially for your 6770m.

gdt

BoobPhysics101 said:
Wait til patches/drivers to enable AA, it's a big performance killer right now, especially for your 6770m.

Well, I won't start really playing (I'm still on The Witcher 1) for a bit, so by then hopefully they optimize it a bit.

dgenx

Izayoi said:
I don't want to set any expectations, but you'll most likely be able to run it on high now.

thanks, also I hope I can get the resolution a little bit higher!

Aeana

Minsc said:
FPS Limiter from the OP works perfectly for me, just tested it (Win 7 64-bit). If your program works post, and I'll add that in as well.
I just wanted to let you know that DXtory does in fact limit the framerate wonderfully. You can set it to any FPS value and it works great.

WEGGLES said:
Sounds like the patch removes the DRM?

Probably doesn't remove it, but it fixes the problem causing performance loss due to DRM.

gdt5016 said:
Might do this, want to keep it stable.

Honestly, I don't understand why anyone that is capable of running the game at 30-40 FPS would want to limit it to 30 FPS. 30 FPS constant looks far worse to me than 30-50 variations. I'd rather have it running at 45+ FPS inside than be stuck at 30. As long as it stays above 30, looks great.

Varna

Reallink said:

In motion I honestly have a hard time noticing what it does. Was definitely worth it to me to turn off. Pretty consistent 60 FPS w/ everyone on max minus uber and SSAO.

BoobPhysics101 said:
Honestly, I don't understand why anyone that is capable of running the game at 30-40 FPS would want to limit it to 30 FPS. 30 FPS constant looks far worse to me than 30-50 variations.
Maybe it's better for you. But I am pretty sure what bothers most people is the frame rate being inconsistent rather than how high it is. Otherwise console gamers wouldn't be ok with playing games at 30fps all the time.

Aeana

BoobPhysics101 said:
Honestly, I don't understand why anyone that is capable of running the game at 30-40 FPS would want to limit it to 30 FPS. 30 FPS constant looks far worse to me than 30-50 variations. I'd rather have it running at 45+ FPS inside than be stuck at 30. As long as it stays above 30, looks great.
Unsteady framerates make me physically ill. Cool for you that you're unaffected, but I don't like feeling nauseated while trying to enjoy a game. My GTX 560 Ti doesn't seem to be good enough to keep a solid 60 on ultra or even high, so either I reduce the settings further or I just clamp the framerate. Believe me, I'd rather have 60 too. EDIT: I actually can't even get above 40-45 on medium. Seems strange to me, going by what people in this thread have said.

gdt

Yeah, 30 fps doesn't bother me in the least (even lower really), it's when it goes down or goes up that I notice.

Aeana said:
Unsteady framerates make me physically ill. Cool for you that you're unaffected, but I don't like feeling nauseated while trying to enjoy a game. My GTX 560 Ti doesn't seem to be good enough to keep a solid 60 on ultra or even high, so either I reduce the settings further or I just clamp the framerate. Believe me, I'd rather have 60 too. EDIT: I actually can't even get above 40-45 on medium. Seems strange to me, going by what people in this thread have said.

Something is wrong with your setup, you should be hitting 60 FPS constant on High and 50-60 FPS on Ultra.

I'm going to guess either you have the DRM performance issue or you need the new beta drivers without 3D vision installed.

Aeana

BoobPhysics101 said:
Something is wrong with your setup, you should be hitting 60 FPS constant on High and 50-60 FPS on Ultra.

I'm going to guess either you have the DRM performance issue or you need the new beta drivers without 3D vision installed.
I have the GOG version of the game. From reading this thread, it sounds like I shouldn't have any DRM or anything. As for 3D vision, I did uninstall those drivers as mentioned here.

Aeana said:
I just wanted to let you know that DXtory does in fact limit the framerate wonderfully. You can set it to any FPS value and it works great.

I DLed outta curiosity. How does it work?

UPDATE: Holy shit, I figured it out and it works! Like wow! I think i'm gonna stick with this from now on!

Aeana said:
I have the GOG version of the game. From reading this thread, it sounds like I shouldn't have any DRM or anything. As for 3D vision, I did uninstall those drivers as mentioned here.

Damn, those are the two most likely things. Did you turn AA or SSAO off? Those destroy FPS.

Oh, looks like I'll be playing Witcher 2 @ Ultra soon... just bought an Alienware (yuck, I know) M17x R3 with a 6970m for dirt, dirt cheap. Paid almost half what it retails for, thanks Dell.

Top Bottom