• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Performance Thread [Enhanced Edition Patch - New content & 100+ fixes]

Excuse my ignorance but can someone tell me what's wrong here?

CanYouRunIt said:
Video Card
Minimum: 512 MB RAM, supporting Pixel Shader 3.0 (NVIDIA GeForce 8800 or ATI Radeon HD 3850)
You Have: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4670
Upgrade Suggested: Unfortunately, your Video Card does not meet this requirement. Click here to see some recommendations.
Features: Minimum attributes of your Video Card
Required You Have
Video RAM 512 MB 2.7 GB
Pixel Shader version 3.0 4.1
Vertex Shader version 3.0 4.1

I'm guessing my Radeon HD 4670 just won't cut it :(

vexvegaz

luxarific said:
I replaced it with the GOG version. It's ok to delete entirely? I bought my copy from D2D. Right now the only two files that I've swapped are the GOG.exe and paul.dll (both from the GOG version).

no need to delete, just rename the files for restoration purposes - paul.dll > paulBACKUP.dll

ProtoCents said:
Excuse my ignorance but can someone tell me what's wrong here?

I'm guessing my Radeon HD 4670 just won't cut it :(

Nope, it won't cut it at all.

But cheer up, for $110 you can get something 5x faster than your 4670 that'll play Witcher 2 on Ultra.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...4102878&cm_re=5830_1gb-_-14-102-878-_-Product

I'd suggest doing that.

luxarific said:
I replaced it with the GOG version. It's ok to delete entirely? I bought my copy from D2D. Right now the only two files that I've swapped are the GOG.exe and paul.dll (both from the GOG version).

Read vexvegaz's post above... just rename it to paulbackup.dll. You should see a big FPS increase.

Make sure to turn off SSAO, Antialiasing, Depth of Field Gameplay and Motion Blur.

Zzoram

So what's the verdict on Dual Core vs Quad Core for this game? Huge or tiny performance boost? Games as recent as Starcraft II barely even use a second core so I figure I should ask.

BoobPhysics101 said:
Nope, it won't cut it at all.

But cheer up, for $110 you can get something 5x faster than your 4670 that'll play Witcher 2 on Ultra.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...4102878&cm_re=5830_1gb-_-14-102-878-_-Product

I'd suggest doing that.

Read vexvegaz's post above... just rename it to paulbackup.dll. You should see a big FPS increase.

Make sure to turn off SSAO, Antialiasing, Depth of Field Gameplay and Motion Blur.

I get so confused with this new way of labeling cards. Is this card better or worse than a Radeon 5770 1GB? Because I just picked one of those up for a friend for $94 after mail in rebate from NewEgg.

Zzoram said:
So what's the verdict on Dual Core vs Quad Core for this game? Huge or tiny performance boost? Games as recent as Starcraft II barely even use a second core so I figure I should ask.

A big jump for Quadcore apparently, but if you have a decent videocard you'll probably be fine.

Aurarian

So, I tried it out and it runs decent on high with my rig.

AMD X4 630 @ 2.87ghz(Seriously, need to get some thermal paste and a cooler so it can be overclocked to 3ghz+)
4GB G SKILL 1600 DDR3
Gigabyte NVIDIA 460 GTX @ 800/1955 from 715/1800

At high settings with SSAO , motion blur/blur effects, AA, and DOF gameplay off I get around 35-60 FPS most of the time. Opening cutscene was about 35-50 as well but the prison cutscene was a solid 60 FPS. This is with the GOG.exe and the 275.27 beta drivers from NVIDIA. I hope the patch will get me another 5-10 FPS. Can someone tell me what should I put the dangling objects limiter option to? I notice when it's enabled that it can mess with the framerate just a bit. Maybe a 1-5 fps drop is what I see.

Zzoram

EternalGamer said:
I get so confused with this new way of labeling cards. Is this card better or worse than a Radeon 5770 1GB? Because I just picked one of those up for a friend for $94 after mail in rebate from NewEgg.

They're basically the same performance, with minor technical differences that don't matter.

BoobPhysics101 said:
Delete paul.dll and see if that makes a difference.

Gonna need 6970M crossfire to run this in its full glory. So you're going to spend about $2500 on a gaming laptop that can run it.

Edit: Actually, a 6970M overclocked should be able to max this out... KJack has one and I think he's running it with everything on.

A desktop that can max this out will cost less than $1000.

Gaming laptops always seem like a waste. Overpriced, terrible battery life, heavy, and they get hot.

The much better options to get a cheap netbook for on the go needs and a good desktop. You can get a good netbook for under $200 now and they get awesome battery life.

EternalGamer said:
Gaming laptops always seem like a waste. Overpriced, terrible battery life, heavy, and they get hot.

The much better options to get a cheap netbook for on the go needs and a good desktop. You can get a good netbook for under $200 now and they get awesome battery life.

he, I personally don't want two setups and portability is king, so its suits me.

Zzoram said:
They're basically the same performance, with minor technical differences that don't matter.

EternalGamer said:

It's 10-20% faster than the 5770 at high resolutions with AA. Not a huge increase but for only a little bit more, it's an excellent buy. Overclocks like a beast, too.

DiRT2%201920.png

EternalGamer said:

You'd be surprised, actually. I got my G73JH for $750, it's packing a Core i7, 5870M, 6 GB of RAM and a 17" 1080p screen.

Not overpriced, yes terrible battery life, yes it's slightly heavy, and no it doesn't get hot.

As a desktop alternative, it's pretty kick-ass.

Plus being able to tote it around is really cool. Playing Portal 2 co-op with my cousin on his PS3 and me on my laptop in the same room was awesome.

gdt

Just booted it up and mess with the settings. I'm on medium-highish ( I think) pulling 25-30 fps (only played for like a minute). Looks fucking fantastic, and I'm fine with the framerate (always been a mostly console player). Wayyyyyy psyched at the performance.

I'll post a pic of the settings later (and in game pics), gotta do some stuff now.

BoobPhysics101 said:
It's 10-20% faster than the 5770 at high resolutions with AA. Not a huge increase but for only a little bit more, it's an excellent buy. Overclocks like a beast, too.

DiRT2%201920.png

Ah, well it's close enough and the 5770 was slightly ($15) cheaper. He's going to be using it play Witcher 2 on a TV at only 1080P anyway.

JWong said:
Not netbooks or laptops. They are going to be a dying breed.

Not true. Laptops are outselling desktops IIRC, and anyone that thinks an iPad is a suitable alternative for a laptop is crazy.

Try typing out notes or an essay on an iPad vs using a laptop. It sucks.

EternalGamer said:
Ah, well it's close enough and the 5770 was slightly ($15) cheaper. He's going to be using it play Witcher 2 on a TV at only 1080P anyway.

5770 is awesome @ 1080p or below. It's what I'm using, and it plays everything maxed out (or close enough) at high FPS.

Was trying to map a button of the pad to perform quicksaves, like with the "f5" key of the keyboard. Since people that use pad tend to play away from the PC, it would be convenient to avoid having to get close to the PC for quicksaving. Figured to use "back" on the Xbox360 pad since it has a kind of redundant use, "B" performs the same function. It didn't work.

So has anyone been able to acomplish this?

Refreshment.01 said:
Was trying to map a button of the pad to perform quicksaves, like with the "f5" key of the keyboard. Since people that use pad tend to play away from the PC, it would be convenient to avoid having to get close to the PC for quicksaving. Figured to use "back" on the Xbox360 pad since it has a kind of redundant use, "B" performs the same function. It didn't work.

I would suggest replacing either silver sword or steel sword since you dont' switch between them that often and you can always bring up the quick menu (Left Trigger) and select silver or steel sword from there.

For that matter, I would put "next spell" on the D-pad too.

So maybe

Dpad down = quicksave
Dpad left =put away sword
Dpad right = adrenaline
Dpad up = next spell

Btw, I assume you know you can just hit start on the controller and save anytime without using the keyboard, right?

I also switch Left Bumper and Left Trigger. I like Left Trigger to be lock on because it is more like every other action game and Left Bumper to be quick menu. The default is the other way around.

BoobPhysics101 said:
Not true. Laptops are outselling desktops IIRC, and anyone that thinks an iPad is a suitable alternative for a laptop is crazy.

I have written many a paper on my Ipad but I do it using a blutooth keyboard, so it functions like a laptop. Then I use Pages to e-mail it to myself in MS Word format.

mileS

EternalGamer said:
I also switch Left Bumper and Left Trigger. I like Left Trigger to be lock on because it is more like every other action game and Left Bumper to be quick menu. The default is the other way around.

I did this a couple of days ago but in the menus the left bumper would go back two icons instead of one. Not really a big deal but it was enough to bug me.

EternalGamer said:
Btw, I assume you know you can just hit start on the controller and save anytime without using the keyboard, right?
There's a humongous to a galactic level difference between a manual save, like you are suggesting, and a quick save. You want to know what is it?

Well manual save creates a separate save file. Quick save on the other hands over writes the same file every time you use it. Cdproject Red, handled saving the wrong way in this game. Too much files are created and that affects the machine performance.

Btw, this guys need to learn from Crytek about pad use. The could have handled both swords and sheating with just one button instead of three.

stuminus3

Refreshment.01 said:
Using something like Xpadder would probably work - map the back button to F5 in the application and just remember to run it before you run TW2. Haven't tested this myself (I'm playing with KB/M) but I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work.

stuminus3 said:
Using something like Xpadder would probably work - map the back button to F5 in the application and just remember to run it before you run TW2. Haven't tested this myself (I'm playing with KB/M) but I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work.

He'd have to make it select since start is already used in the game.

I just use the start button saves and then delete old saves every couple of times I play. Not a big deal to me.

EternalGamer said:
I have written many a paper on my Ipad but I do it using a blutooth keyboard, so it functions like a laptop. Then I use Pages to e-mail it to myself in MS Word format.

Yes, but you're also a college professor (right?) that has Crossfired videocards. If I told most of my college professors they could use a bluetooth keyboard on an iPad, they'd be like 'The fuck does that mean?' Joe Average isn't always hip to it.

Minsc

Gold Member
BoobPhysics101 said:
Yes, but you're also a college professor (right?) that has Crossfired videocards. If I told most of my college professors they could use a bluetooth keyboard on an iPad, they'd be like 'The fuck does that mean?' Joe Average isn't always hip to it.

Just show them something like this.

EternalGamer said:
Fair enough, as long as don't mind paying a lot more and getting a lot less.

Eh, I can still play the games pretty well, just at lower fps than the top cards. I think it may be upgradeable too, its based on the clevo model.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Ultra on everything, disable VSYNC unless its a must, enable AA, disable motion blur, disable bloom, set the draw distance to far, and set texture memory to very high.

Consider messing with the ini as I got a huge boost of around 20fps in certain spots with an ini posted yesterday. I tinkered with it since but it has increased my already great performance.

WEGGLES

It's weird all the tweaking and such for all the settings. I fired up the game and it did some autodetect thing and it's been smooth/gorgeous from there on out. I think it set stuff on High.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
WEGGLES said:
It's weird all the tweaking and such for all the settings. I fired up the game and it did some autodetect thing and it's been smooth/gorgeous from there on out. I think it set stuff on High.
It's funny because auto-detect for me set everything to low, yet I can play it at decent framerates on Ultra, sans Uber, of course. Then again, a lot of games do that, Oblivion set everything to the absolute lowest despite the fact that I can run it at 60+ constant.

Edit: Anyone with a custom tweaked ini for dualcores (E8500 @ 3.16ghz) would be my hero if they shared a tweak that doesn't make the game look like doodoo and can ensure minimum 30fps in towns as well.

I've got 1gB of Vram available so if we could get started there with memory allocation for textures and whatnot, it would be much appreciated.

I also hope they fix the odd texture streaming issue, it only happens inside, you go into a building and it takes a full 30 seconds for it to load high-res textures, it's horrible to say the least..

Q8D3vil

avg is about 24 fps in the first prison cutscene (even in the bed cutscene).
retail version 2x570 using nvidia latest beta (alternate force rendering 2 for sli).
FML

edit: put in in ultra and i got 25 avg when i walk after the first scene.
fml again

Akkad

Banned
LiquidMetal14 said:
Ultra on everything, disable VSYNC unless its a must, enable AA, disable motion blur, disable bloom, set the draw distance to far, and set texture memory to very high.

Consider messing with the ini as I got a huge boost of around 20fps in certain spots with an ini posted yesterday. I tinkered with it since but it has increased my already great performance.

Much appreciated.

JWong

Banned
BoobPhysics101 said:

66jcpj.jpg

Q8D3vil

after changing the exe and all the stuff (i made backup) the game run better on high but still unplayable on ultra (uber sampling :( )
will wait for future patch and drivers.

Zzoram said:
After I saw it running on my other half's Phenom X4 840/4gb/GTX460 I ordered a GTX560 (non-Ti) and another 2gb for my ageing C2D E7200 (at 3.16ghz) system. So aside from my DDR2 memory compared to DDR3, pretty much the only difference between our systems is the number of cores.

There's not much in it. Mine is a little slower -- on the order of 3-10fps outside, at Ultra settings with Ubersampling and cinematic DoF off and decals on medium -- but I'm still sitting around 25-35fps outside depending on what's going on. Vsync'd and triple buffered.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
vexvegaz said:
no need to delete, just rename the files for restoration purposes - paul.dll > paulBACKUP.dll

Sorry, I didn't phrase my question properly - I always back up the original files when I'm doing something like this. I should have said, will the game actually run without a paul.dll file? I replaced my original D2D witcher2.exe and paul.dll files with the GOG witcher2.exe and paul.dll files. I'll delete the dll if you guys say it's not required, but I would have thought it was something essential.

luxarific said:
Sorry, I didn't phrase my question properly - I always back up the original files when I'm doing something like this. I should have said, will the game actually run without a paul.dll file? I replaced my original D2D witcher2.exe and paul.dll files with the GOG witcher2.exe and paul.dll files. I'll delete the dll if you guys say it's not required, but I would have thought it was something essential.

It runs without it.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
If you're getting a black screen during a quest. Simply reload an earlier save and delay doing it for now. Worked for me on two quests that ended with a black screen.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Weird issue with the game, something happens that makes it run super slow in Flotsam Village. It seems like it's a memory leak, framerate halves and there's microstuttering and severe mouselag, textures also sometimes take a really long time to load.

Is this the memory leak the devs have said they're fixing in the next patch?

Or is 1gB of Vram not enough for Ultra? D:

Edit: This only ever happens near the port on

Kyaw

Guys...

AllowSharpen=0

Using that takes off the 'sharpen' filter that the game uses to sharpen the textures and edges, image quality is cleaner at the cost of some sharp detail. Try it out and see if you like it.

Fixes shimmering on the sword and the shiny edges too.

Easy_D said:
Weird issue with the game, something happens that makes it run super slow in Flotsam Village. It seems like it's a memory leak, framerate halves and there's microstuttering and severe mouselag, textures also sometimes take a really long time to load.

Is this the memory leak the devs have said they're fixing in the next patch?

Or is 1gB of Vram not enough for Ultra? D:
I've been having lots of issues in Flotsam as well. Prologue was perfectly acceptable. Does the GOG fix work with Steam versions or just standard retail? May give it a try if things aren't better after the patch.

Easy_D said:
It's funny because auto-detect for me set everything to low, yet I can play it at decent framerates on Ultra, sans Uber, of course. Then again, a lot of games do that, Oblivion set everything to the absolute lowest despite the fact that I can run it at 60+ constant.

Edit: Anyone with a custom tweaked ini for dualcores (E8500 @ 3.16ghz) would be my hero if they shared a tweak that doesn't make the game look like doodoo and can ensure minimum 30fps in towns as well.

I've got 1gB of Vram available so if we could get started there with memory allocation for textures and whatnot, it would be much appreciated.

I also hope they fix the odd texture streaming issue, it only happens inside, you go into a building and it takes a full 30 seconds for it to load high-res textures, it's horrible to say the least..

Turn everything on that you'd like, but try enabling 'Dangling Objects Limit', set Texture Memory to Very High, and turn SSAO + Antialiasing off.

Kyaw said:
Guys...

AllowSharpen=0

Using that takes off the 'sharpen' filter that the game uses to sharpen the textures and edges, image quality is cleaner at the cost of some sharp detail. Try it out and see if you like it.

Fixes shimmering on the sword and the shiny edges too.

This only gets enabled if antialiasing is turned on; I believe it's to combat blur caused by MLAA. So no need to turn it off.

You COULD try forcing it off when AA is enabled and see if it lets you use AA without as big of a performance hit?

Top Bottom