• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Performance Thread [Enhanced Edition Patch - New content & 100+ fixes]

Xtyle

scy said:
If all else fails, the DLC _is_ free so all you really need is the .dzip file to get it to run.

I have the collector's edition free dlc and the pre-order dlc. do these work with GOG exe?

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Floatsam on my gtx 260 was pretty choppy when running around. Changing the texture downgrade to low fixed the choppiness, but Geralt's face looked less detailed. So i made a compromise, i lowered the streaming textures to small and put the lod to far and the results are smoother although textures kind of pop in still.

My thread at Notebookreview.com was shut down because the mods claim that I'm promoting 'cracking the game' and 'bypassing DRM is against the forum rules.' When the developer says you can bypass the DRM and use the GOG version exe, I don't believe the forum rules apply when it's sanctioned by the creators themselves. They also deleted my posts in another thread...

Very annoying.

K.Jack said:
I've had no framerate improvement, but the first loading of a save went from 30 secs, to around 11 secs.

One negative is that the Launcher now takes 2 or 3 times as long, to pop up. Weird.

I'm just saying that modifying settings like MaxSpotShadowSize and MeshDistanceScale will only have them revert to the default numbers, after the game launches..

You can just change the User.ini to read only to make sure the game doesn't try to revert your settings... I forgot to mention that. :\ It lets you use the higher texture memory settings.

I think it's interesting that Very High only goes to 600 MB, which makes it perfect for 1 GB cards.

For anyone that wants to try out higher texture memory settings

Change your user.ini to read only. Forgot to mention this. Sorry.

ManeKast

BoobPhysics101 said:
My thread at Notebookreview.com was shut down because the mods claim that I'm promoting 'cracking the game' and 'bypassing DRM is against the forum rules.' When the developer says you can bypass the DRM and use the GOG version exe, I don't believe the forum rules apply when it's sanctioned by the creators themselves. They also deleted my posts in another thread...

Very annoying.

You can just change the User.ini to read only to make sure the game doesn't try to revert your settings... I forgot to mention that. :\ It lets you use the higher texture memory settings.

I think it's interesting that Very High only goes to 600 MB, which makes it perfect for 1 GB cards.

For anyone that wants to try out higher texture memory settings

Change your user.ini to read only. Forgot to mention this. Sorry.

I have a GTX 460m 1.5gb, what would you recommend as an .ini setting for that?

burgerdog

My game crashes whenever I set my texture memory size to something other than very small. I have a 1gb 6870. Whenever I talk to someone or there's cutscenes everything that's 5 yards from Geralt / Npc is black.

ManeKast said:

Try setting texture memory budget to 1000. Set user.ini to Read-only. See how the game performs. It may or may not load more smoothly for you since it'll have a huge cache for textures.

I have a theory that the texture time budget is the setting that controls how long it holds textures in VRAM cache before purging them, and I'm wondering if increasing the setting will keep the cache larger so that if you go back into an area it won't have to purge and re-cache since it's just sitting there.

It might not even make a difference since the game performs so well on High or Very High texture memory budgets, but it does seem to have a lot of highly detailed textures so there is the possibility. It really needs testing to figure out what's going on.

Nekrono

ManeKast said:
You should try ~800, I'm using 1000 on my 2GB 6950, I'm going by the 'logic' that 600 is Very High and it's probably meant for 1GB cards.

burgerdog said:
My game crashes whenever I set my texture memory size to something other than very small. I have a 1gb 6870. Whenever I talk to someone or there's cutscenes everything that's 5 yards from Geralt / Npc is black.

That's odd. Is antialiasing disabled in Catalyst Control Center? A 1 GB card should be able to handle Very High texture memory budget.

burgerdog

BoobPhysics101 said:
That's odd. Is antialiasing disabled in Catalyst Control Center? A 1 GB card should be able to handle Very High texture memory budget.
Yeah, it is disabled at a driver level and in-game as well.

So that's why no matter the setting, the game seems to have framerate issues.

I have:
Retail Edition,
8GBs RAM,
Phenom II X6,
and a Radeon HD 6570.

The game recommended High Settings, but during some cutscenes, it looks so bad. D:

My Game has been running fine so far but I get a black screen in 2nd chapter after the scene ends after
king resurrects and kills the witch
. The screen blacks out after the cutscene. This happens again and gain. I'm running the latest Nvidia beta driver on a GTX 450 and Intel i5 760. Even tried lowering graphics setting and reinstalling drivers but no mercy.

Please help!

Gunpriest

Neo Member
MNC said:
Oh, fuck... That sucks :/

Well, until someone can post a link to the polish forum or confirms that his game broke after the exe-switch, i will remain sceptical. I think, if there were a problem with bugged quests, there would be at least a few posts already.

Minsc

Gold Member
Gunpriest said:
Well, until someone can post a link to the polish forum or confirms that his game broke after the exe-switch, i will remain sceptical. I think, if there were a problem with bugged quests, there would be at least a few posts already.

Yea, it is very unusual behavior (I've swapped exes all the time in the past, very rare for this kind of thing to happen). I'd almost call it a scare tactic, but for now I will post a warning.

burgerdog

BoobPhysics101 said:
Set texturememorybudget to 500 MB in User.ini, and set it to read only. Post what happens after that.

Update! Couldn't sleep so I started playing and sure enough, no crashes, no texture pop-in anymore(thank yooooooou), and it even runs a bit smoother to boot.

Gunpriest

Neo Member
AwesomeSauce said:
Is it just me or whenever i press start to access the menu, it takes like 10 seconds to pop up.

Check your savegames folder. If it is too large, delete or backup the oldest ones and keep just the last 5 or 10.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Gunpriest said:
Check your savegames folder. If it is too large, delete or backup the oldest ones and keep just the last 5 or 10.

Ok, I do have a lot of saves for when i was still configuring the game. I'll go ahead and delete them and see if it'll fix my problem.

Ryuuga

Banned
Gunpriest said:
gog.exe might brake the game!

guru3d forum post

I think it is a little bit too late for me now :/

Anyone speak polish and can check/confirm it?

Yeah, I'm going to need something more substantial. Then again who is to say there won't be adverse effects post patch 1.1

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Andrea23 said:
I think the best choice is to restore both from the backup, BEFORE patching : ).

:( I messed up, overwrote the files without backing up.... fml...Anyways I got too anxious and want to try out the fix. Here are a couple of screens, resized.

Here's what I tried : in both scenarios I used the custom SLI bits, with the default bits the fix didn't have an affect for me on the 270.61 whql drivers.

Scenario one : A couple of days old screens, broken ass drm bullshit version. All ultra. Uber below

witcher22011-05-1912-517pl.png

witcher22011-05-1912-537aa.png

Scenario two : similar area : gog exe, dll, same settings ( ultra ). Uber below. 100% increase in performance... how could it get this fucked up.

witcher22011-05-2413-3a7wi.png

witcher22011-05-2413-39749.png

Corky

Here's a bonus pic :

Uber setting on + tweaks to ultra setting ( no bloom / ssao / DoF ). The results are ridiculous.
I'm now getting around 45-50 fps in the town, vergen which is what I got pre-fix with uber disabled

witcher22011-05-2413-5mop4.png

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Nice pics but can you do us a favor and post pics of the early parts of the game. I haven't been that far and would like that to be a surprise. I've probably put in 10 hours and am still in Chapter 1.

Corky

Sorry mate, thought by now that there'd been tons of screens of pretty much the entire game in this thread.

Will keep that in mind though, anyways now I'm gonna try flotsam.

LiquidMetal14

Corky said:
Sorry mate, thought by now that there'd been tons of screens of pretty much the entire game in this thread.

Will keep that in mind though, anyways now I'm gonna try flotsam.
I'm not offended. It's not even highly spoilerish. I will take some shots of my comparison as well in a few minutes.

Corky

LiquidMetal14 said:
I'm not offended. It's not even highly spoilerish. I will take some shots of my comparison as well in a few minutes.

Cheers, looking forward to it :)

edit : oh also I forgot a vital part, my launch time from double click to navigating the menu ( not counting the few seconds of dev intros ) went from 45 seconds do 10ish on mechanical HDD.

LiquidMetal14

I don't know if it's because I applied new ini settings yesterday but the frame rate I noticed was totally different and highly improved. I got the same FR but on both but this is still a huge improvement over the last time I was in this particular area. I'm usually always above 60 prior to the ini settings poster yesterday. Now I get these results regardless....

Retail EXE with default ultra ini settings.....

witcher22011-05-2408-1irex.png

GOG EXE with new user ini settings....

witcher22011-05-2408-2otba.png

Gonna try a different area.

Corky

LiquidMetal14 said:

Interesting, what kind of ini settings did you change?

For the sake of experiment I tried Flotsam with the fix. I don't have the before screen but it was like usual, which was around 15 fps with uber enabled in the gallows area.

New result :

witcher22011-05-2414-26sft.png

Again, ultra + uber + tweaks ( ssao/bloom/dof = off ), a staggering 3X increase in performance.

LiquidMetal14

AllowAntialias=1
AllowBloom=0
AllowBlur=1
AllowCutsceneDOF=1
AllowDOF=1
AllowDecals=1.0
AllowMotionBlur=0
AllowRain=1
AllowSSAO=1
AllowScatterDOF=1
AllowShafts=1
AllowSharpen=1
AllowVignette=1
AtlasTextureDownscale=0
DanglesLimiter=0
DetailTextureDownscale=0
FoliageDistanceScale=1.1
Fullscreen=1
MaxAtlasTextureSize=4096
MaxCubeShadowCount=2
MaxCubeShadowSize=1024
MaxSpotShadowCount=2
MaxSpotShadowSize=1024
MaxTextureSize=2048
MeshDistanceScale=1.3
ShadowQuality=3
ShadowedLights=3
TextureDownscale=0
TextureMemoryBudget=1200
UberSampling=0
VSync=0

I manually added the foliage distance. The texture budget is 1200 since I have a 2GB GPU. I was told yesterday I could set it to 1400 but I haven't tried that yet. Here's the results of my second compare. Again, oddly it's the same but still improved than to prior use of default ultra ini settings.

ORIGINAL

witcher22011-05-2408-4asnk.png

GOG with ini from above

witcher22011-05-2408-4dtri.png

It's worth going with the GOG just for the fast loads but I might be timid after reading it may break the game for some. They better patch this up.

I should try this on uber too, mine are non uber shots.

LiquidMetal14

Turned uber on and took this quick shot

witcher22011-05-2408-5yk9l.png

I have SSAO on but motion blur and bloom off on all these shots. Also VSYNC disabled of course. Merely for preferential purposes.

I hover slightly above 30 though for the most part. I was in the teens before.

WTF what a disaster this launch has been. Still waiting for response from "support" to turn my CE from being a $130 doorstop, and it sounds like performance would be broken anyway.

This launch has been a bigger disappointment to me than DA2. (At least I could PLAY it).

Corky

cleveridea said:
WTF what a disaster this launch has been. Still waiting for response from "support" to turn my CE from being a $130 doorstop, and it sounds like performance would be broken anyway.

This launch has been a bigger disappointment to me than DA2. (At least I could PLAY it).

I agree to a certain extent, on one hand it has been very iffy with registration, gpu utlization, random bugs in general, drm assholery.

But on the other hand, now that I personally tried the game with both my gpus@ 100%, the game has scary good performance imo.

has anyone been able to get their pre order dlc/collectors edition dlc to work?

specifically the roche commando jacket; i was able to get the ultimate swordsman suit to download but that was about it.

Corky

Sanjay said:
:O does it ever dip below 30 with uber? you got 580 sli right and is that @ 1080p res?

Tweaks?

I'll run around with fraps for a couple of minutes and get back to ya on the sub 30 part. I have 560 sli although they're both @ 900 mhz.

The tweaks are the ones I mentioned in the brackets, i.e ssao/bloom/dof off.

Top Bottom