• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Performance Thread [Enhanced Edition Patch - New content & 100+ fixes]

Aeana

AgentOtaku said:
I DLed outta curiosity. How does it work?
The program is primarily a video capture program like Fraps, but it has the frame limiting feature as an extra. Click on the image below to see where the setting is.

Aeana said:
The program is primarily a video capture program like Fraps, but it has the frame limiting feature as an extra. Click on the image below to see where the setting is.

OMFG, I CAN'T BELIEVE I WENT YEARS WITH NEVER HAVING FOUND THIS!!!!

Just tried it on Portal (only other thing I have installed) and it worked! Does this presumably work with everything DX related?

Aeana

AgentOtaku said:
OMFG, I CAN'T BELIEVE I WENT YEARS WITH NEVER HAVING FOUND THIS!!!!

Just tried it on Portal (only other thing I have installed) and it worked! Does this presumably work with everything DX related?
It claims to support DirectX 9, 10, and 11. And it's worked with everything I've tried it with except Dragon Age 2 for some reason. It just plain doesn't detect that game for some reason - can't even get the FPS counter to come up.

Aeana said:
It claims to support DirectX 9, 10, and 11. And it's worked with everything I've tried it with except Dragon Age 2 for some reason. It just plain doesn't detect that game for some reason - can't even get the FPS counter to come up.

fucking wow!

Schlomo

Has anyone playing with a 360 controller noticed the problem that buttons randomly stop working?

It has happened twice so far to me. In a battle I'd not be able to use Signs or open the Signs menu all of a sudden, while running around and swinging the sword would still work. What makes it worse is that it gets saved, so even after loading the save those buttons still don't work. I had to use my second to last save in both cases.

I really hope this doesn't happen too often.

Aeana said:
Unsteady framerates make me physically ill. Cool for you that you're unaffected, but I don't like feeling nauseated while trying to enjoy a game. My GTX 560 Ti doesn't seem to be good enough to keep a solid 60 on ultra or even high, so either I reduce the settings further or I just clamp the framerate. Believe me, I'd rather have 60 too. EDIT: I actually can't even get above 40-45 on medium. Seems strange to me, going by what people in this thread have said.
I have the same card, and at Ultra with AA and SSAO on, I get a pretty consistent 45ish fps in areas around Flotsam and Vergen. I do turn off all blur and DOF and bloom, so maybe that helps. The game also seems smoother with v-synch on.

Carm

Schlomo said:
Has anyone playing with a 360 controller noticed the problem that buttons randomly stop working?

It has happened twice so far to me. In a battle I'd not be able to use Signs or open the Signs menu all of a sudden, while running around and swinging the sword would still work. What makes it worse is that it gets saved, so even after loading the save those buttons still don't work. I had to use my second to last save in both cases.

It has happened to be 3 times, two of which happened yesterday morning, during the exact same fight. No idea what is causing it, but in the readme file there is a section about it, unless it's related to something else.

Manager

Schlomo said:

With keyboard it has just stopped working for me, all buttons. I couldn't move or do anything, had to reload save and then it worked again.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Schlomo said:

It happened to me during a very significant boss battle, and it took that boss hitting me to make them respond again.

Angst

I got the game yesterday. I had good frame rates during the whole prologue, but as soon as I got to Flotsam the frame rate took a real dive, sometimes 1 fps. I tried auto-detect and it moved everything down into low for some reason. When I first started the auto-detect put everything on high.

Maybe a restart solves this? I have only 2 GB of RAM, so I have a suspicion the game ran out of memory. I'l get another 4 GB delivered later today thankfully.

Dennis

Banned
Forgive my lack of time to read the thread - is there an important patch or fix that I should be waiting for now that I missed playing at launch or should I dive right in?

Is 2560 x 1600 with Ubersamling going to melt my computer?

Is it ossible to max the game with current hardware?

Wallach

DennisK4 said:
Forgive my lack of time to read the thread - is there an important patch or fix that I should be waiting for now that I missed playing at launch or should I dive right in?

Ubersampling seems pretty out of reach if you're trying to hit 60 FPS at max settings for anything. At least anything really reasonable, like I don't think SLI 580s could get it done (particularly not at your resolution). Some bugs with NVidia drivers right now if you install the 3D Vision stuff so you may need to do a fresh driver install of the beta drivers without the 3D Vision components if you're on team green or your framerate will get mauled.

Ubersampling won't be an option for some time unless you're willing to sacrifice your res. At 2560x1600 you'll need need some sort of dual card configuration for comfortable framerates but it's worth trying out, otherwise try playing at 1920x1200.

There's a patch slated for later today which is supposed to address some performance issues.

I've managed to finish the game once already and I didn't have any issues so there should be nothing stopping you.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
DennisK4 said:

Ubersampling is their fancy term for SSAA, so no don't turn that on especially if you're going 1600.

Nekrono

DennisK4 said:
There is a patch that is supposedly coming out later today and it is said to have performance optimization's as well as other fixes, etc, so might as well wait for it.

DennisK4 said:
Yes.

DennisK4 said:
I guess it's possible with Ubersampling on but you would need sick hardware to get it running at 30 FPS+, hell probably ~30 even, especially at your resolution.

Fredescu

What causes the sort of dithering on the edge of shadows? I've seen some screenshots that don't have it so I'm guessing they're possible to remove.

I was playing GTA4 on my laptop today and that game held an almost identical frame rate to Witcher 2, 28 - 32 fps. However GTA felt MUCH smoother, like shitloads smoother to be honest, i was amazed fraps was showing near identical results. Witcher 2 feels so much more janky, jolting all over the place at times, hard to explain what i mean. Can this be fixed with my LOD/texture settings or something like that? Does anyone else have this issue?

Minsc

Gold Member
DennisK4 said:
Thanks for all the replies.

You should glance over the OP quickly too (the stuff before specs start being listed), lots of good info collected from people in this thread and it only take a minute to read through, especially for you since you're on XFire, and need to lower your expectations. There's a couple of good mods you may want to keep in the back of your head while playing, and a few common fixes. Once you get XFire working correctly, I'd expect you will be running Ultra maxed at 1600p (really 1440p).

There's a couple visual comparisons too. You're in a damn amazing treat when you hit Flotsam!

Reallink said:
Has anyone done comparison pics of SSAO On/Off? Curious to see how much difference it makes (visually) and whether it may be worth killing on even more powerful cards. A lot of these effects are subjective and not objectively better looking, wondering where SSAO fits in.

First link of comparisons from OP has a SSAO on/off test, it's pretty drastic, but you need to load the images in separate tabs to notice it, though after you do notice it, you'll see what I mean, it adds a lot of shadowing detail to objects.

burgerdog

I will never turn off ssao in a game. I would rather not play the game and save it for when I acquired better hardware. I like it that much.

edit.
Unless it was a really bad implementation, of course.

Fredescu

Tokubetsu said:
Am I the only one that likes the bloom? Everything looks so flat with it off. Less magical and awesome.
I like vivid colours in games, and bloom mutes that a bit. I prefer how it looks turned off.

Minsc

Gold Member
I also prefer bloom off, even though I was very reluctant at first to turn it off. The game looks better with it off, and so does Geralt.

Kyaw

GAF-Cave, does the 16xAF work for you from forcing it through Nvidia Inspector?

I don't think it's working for me. The textures just look muddy towards the horizon.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Sinatar said:
Ubersampling is their fancy term for SSAA, so no don't turn that on especially if you're going 1600.

Does supersampling, in general, render the "next step up" resolution ?

krzy123

Hopefully the patch will fix the issues, finally got around to installing the last night, has anyone who ordered retail been able to redeem their pre-order stuff (Amazon)? I get a invalid code.

The game did end w/ registering last night, though I'm not even sure how. When I tried to create an account it gave me an error saying "This email is already registered", possibly from the first Witcher game, but then I was able to register it using the info I just had attempted to make the account with. Ugh. I wish I could login in through the website and see if it worked for real or not. :/

Then i realized that i had somehow deleted my old witcher1 saves from Chap 3 on. I guess i'll use the ones from the other thread.

Minsc

Gold Member
krzy123 said:
Then i realized that i had somehow deleted my old witcher1 saves from Chap 3 on. I guess i'll use the ones from the other thread.

The only crappy thing about those saves is you start with 25,000 orens for some reason, so it ruins a bit of the earning money to buy stuff aspect. I imported my old save and only had about 800 orens from it, which is perfectly fine.

The lack of a drop box made me use the 300 > 900 weight fix, 900 lbs is significantly more manageable and while still limiting you and not allowing you to pick up 1000 of everything, as opposed to the paltry 300 you start with or an infinite mod.

krzy123

Minsc said:
The only crappy thing about those saves is you start with 25,000 orens for some reason, so it ruins a bit of the earning money to buy stuff aspect. I imported my old save and only had about 800 orens from it, which is perfectly fine.

I probably had 10k+ at least from what i remember, I'm a money hoarder :( and dice game addict.

TheExodu5

Banned
DennisK4 said:

1600p with Ubersampling off is going to melt your computer. The game is roughly as demanding as Crysis 1 on Very High.

burgerdog said:
I will never turn off ssao in a game. I would rather not play the game and save it for when I acquired better hardware. I like it that much.

edit.
Unless it was a really bad implementation, of course.

Agreed. Ambient occlusion has been a big game changer, for me, in terms of a lifelike look (GOOD DOF implementation is also close...Witcher 2's is pretty good) and adding depth to flat games.

Salaadin

Another patch update:

Internal tests of Patch 1.1 are well under way. Our current target is to release it this evening. Please note that although we are doing our best to have it ready by then, the time still may change in order to be completely sure that the patch will function properly. This is our primary concern since there are significant changes and upgrades that will affect many users.

1. Simpler and more reliable game installation and activation. Details to be revealed soon.

2. Fixed the free Troll Trouble DLC download. It is now included n the patch so there's no need to download and install it separately.

3. Fixed an issue that prevented some users from downloading other free DLCs (the ones given out with some pre-orders, special promotions, etc). The launcher now properly refreshes the list of available DLCs and allows for installation.

4. Performance improvements: approximately 5% to 30% better framerate and faster game loading for many users, depending on their individual systems and game versions. Owners of retail versions can expect the biggest improvements.

5. Fixed random crashes occurring on some systems, especially after saving and loading saves.

6. Key mapping – allows the arrow and number keys to be used for movement.

7. Added the option to invert the mouse.

8. nVidia surround vision now works properly.

9. More accurate assessment provided by the "auto-detect settings" option will help improve game performance.

10. Removed a bug that prevented completion of the “Blood Curse” quest.

11. Fixed a bug that prevented the additional link in "Extras" from being unlocked after winning the dice game against the GOG.com monk.

12. GOG.com credits now work properly.

The full list of all changes will be available upon the release of the patch. If you have experienced any issues that are not on the list above, please don't worry. We have already started working on the next patch, which will address other difficulties and bugs, including those related to specific hardware setups; e.g.. Logitech g35. You may expect this second patch to be ready next week.

Patch 1.1 will be available for all the versions of the game, both retail and digital, except for Russian. However, we would like to assure our Russian fans that we are aware of the problems with the your version of the game (thanks for your reports!) and we are talking with 1C about possible solutions.

Hopefully you guys still having issues can finally play..

Minsc

Gold Member
Lostconfused said:
What? Everything looks more dull with bloom off.

I'm not sure I agree. The screens from the OP show bloom to get rid of the darks. Look at Geralt in the bottom two screens here, w/ bloom he looks washed out, and you never see those dark shadows around the eyes/face.

Wish the Flotsam comparison was working (seems L0st Id3ntity's bandwidth was exceeded), but those looked better without bloom as well, you could see a lot more detail, didn't look any duller. Even the sun beams have been better than the shot I posted, that ended up being one of the most jarring examples I've come across.

WOW easy to see why review so positive

IGN review using GTX 580 and saying graphics still look good at lower settings

BECAUSE YOU HAVE A 580

Still waiting for patch to play what I thought would be GOTY (and still may be)...

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
cleveridea said:

BECAUSE YOU HAVE A 580

Still waiting for patch to play what I thought would be GOTY (and still may be)...

A high end gpu makes the game look better on lower settings than running the same settings with a lower end gpu?

Zeliard

cleveridea said:

BECAUSE YOU HAVE A 580

What?

I would think reviews would mention how game performs on lower hardware - IGN Review

The visuals, in particular, are consistently gorgeous. Though I experienced some performance issues on launch day, a driver update allowed smooth play on max settings with a GeForce GTX 580 card, and the game still looks great at lowered settings.

Minsc said:
I'm not sure I agree. The screens from the OP show bloom to get rid of the darks. Look at Geralt in the bottom two screens here, w/ bloom he looks washed out, and you never see those dark shadows around the eyes/face.
Its not that bloom just got rid of the darks, its that the whole image is a lot darker with it off.

epmode said:
That's why we have GAF. And this thread in particular.

True, some GREAT advice on this thread.

If this patch fixes my indoors framerate issue, then the advice on this thread will make it playable on my laptop. It actually already runs nice OUTDOORS bizarrely.

Fredescu

Lostconfused said:
Its not that bloom just got rid of the darks, its that the whole image is a lot darker with it off.
It's not just a matter of brighter or darker. You can see in the comparison pic that everything is bathed in an ugly yellow which dilutes the colours and doesn't provide a believable interpretation of sunlight in return. I'm not going to argue the point too strongly though, it's just my preference. I'm just happy that we have the option to turn it on or off as we please.

Top Bottom