• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted Golden Abyss (PSVita) Hands-on previews [Update: Gameplay Video]

Man

so3656_ngp_unchga_logo_ml05a.jpg

uncharted-p_cliff-opening_01.png

===>>> Gameplay video!!! <<<===

Story premise (prequel to UC1 though not a lead in) said:
Uncover the dark secret behind the 400-year-old massacre of a Spanish expedition as Nathan Drake follows the murderous trail of an ancient and secret Spanish sect. Caught in the middle of a rivalry between Jason Dante - his old friend - and Marisa Chase - the granddaughter of an archeologist who has mysteriously vanished without a trace - Nathan Drake races into the treacherous river basins, undiscovered temple ruins and karst caverns of Central America in search of a legendary lost city, only to find himself pushed to the edge of the Golden Abyss.
PS.Blog Video Interview

Kotaku said:
Uncharted Golden Abyss is the best reason, but certainly not the only one, to buy Sony's still-codenamed Next Generation Portable.

It is a game that delivers what you'd expect from a console, it cuts no corners, offers no excuses. This is gaming on the go without the need to make do. This is the reason you'd want to carry around something that is made for gaming, rather than something that is merely able to play games...

...Uncharted Golden Abyss certainly isn't the sort of first-person shooter experience that will completely stress test the abilities of the NGP's dual thumbsticks, that will have to wait for a Battlefield or Call of Duty, but it requires enough shooting and moving to prove what gamers have been saying for years: Shooters just don't work with a single thumbstick.
http://kotaku.com/5805966/

Destructoid said:
Both demo areas we were shown depicted lush jungle environments, with striking backdrops supported by spectacular dynamic lighting effects. Drake's movements are smooth and detailed, including the series' trademark facial animations as voice actor Nolan North effortlessly delivers his lines. To nail the look and feel, Naughty Dog has opened its Uncharted 1 and 2 animation libraries to Bend, to the tune of some 3,000 separate animations. There are even advanced water shaders at play; when Drake walks through water he gets wet, emerges soaking, and slowly dries over time.
http://www.destructoid.com/preview-uncharted-golden-abyss-ngp--202327.phtml

GiantBomb said:
With all of these unconfirmed "PlayStation Vita" reports swirling around, I'm not even sure what to call this thing. I mean, that's probably going to be the name, right? But let's just play it safe for now, because back when I actually played with an NGP and around nine different games, we were all still calling it the NGP.

It's an interesting device that straight-up looks expensive. Like the PSP before it, it's got a stunning screen on it, and it's capable of some pretty fantastic-looking graphics...

...Uncharted: Golden Abyss is clearly the star of the show. Sony Bend is working on this one, and their presentation tossed out a few numbers, like their ability to put 160MB of textures on screen or the notion that Drake has 3,000 separate animations. That aside, the game looked good--not quite console-quality, if you were to hold it up against Uncharted 2, but close enough that it practically doesn't matter...

..Other NGP-specific controls include the ability to tap enemies while hanging from a ledge to grab and yank them over. There's also a sniper sequence in the demo we were shown that lets you tilt the device to aim. It's worth noting that this stuff is optional, for the most part. If you want Golden Abyss to play like a regular Uncharted game, it will.
http://www.giantbomb.com/news/uncharted-ngp-hands-on/3287/

CVG said:
The portable game's story is also said to be "top-notch", with over two hours of motion-captured cut-scenes set for the final game.
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/304355/news/uncharted-golden-abyss-is-astonishing-ngp-entry/

Eurogamer said:
It's an Uncharted game, running on a handheld. That's impressive enough in itself...

...There's more to Drake than wet t-shirts, and the biggest challenge Sony Bend faces is pinning down the breezy charm he personifies. Sony Bend's John Garvin is on writing duties under the watchful eye of Amy Hennig, the creative director whose deft touch has been behind Nathan Drake's other adventures....

...Brief cut-scenes (of which there will eventually be two hours' worth) show that Drake's rapier wit is intact. It's exercised against a new cast of characters, with Jason Dante fulfilling Sully's role while Marisa Chase appears as the inevitable love interest. The quick-fire, Hawks-esque dialogue is all present and correct, thanks in no small part to the use of Naughty Dog's own motion capture facility and the return of Nolan North.

For the exploration and third-person shooting at the heart of Uncharted, Sony Bend hasn't altered the essentials - but its interpretation is often surprising. The NGP's dual sticks can keep up with the cover-based gunplay well enough, and the duck and run segments are as tight as those in the PS3 games.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-06-02-uncharted-golden-abyss-preview-preview

faridmon

The name is pretty stupid. I mean pretty pretty stupid. Why can't devs come up withbetter names. Its not a rocket science.

faridmon said:
The name is pretty stupid. I mean pretty pretty stupid. Why can't devs come up withbetter names. Its not a rocket science.

Most of these names are produced in marketing meetings and focus groups.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
Tough crowd. 'Golden Abyss' is easily the best pulp adventure subtitle the series has had.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
FunkyPajamas said:
Nate looks like it's walking on water. NGP second coming of Christ confirmed.
Jesus came back, only so that he could try the NGP.

maybe now people will slowly start to see the potential and also why it's not just another psp. It's not a psp.

Acheteedo said:
Ah fuck it, Vita sounds alright once you get used to it.

It could be called "fluffy anal cunt" for all i care, if you can play game like this.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
cj_iwakura said:
The Vita's not a bad title. PSV has a nice ring to it.
The acronym confused me at first. "Why people are talking about the Playstation 5 so early?"

scy

PSV makes me think we skipped a generation >> PS3 -> PSV! And switched numbering metrics but whatever.

The shooter talk makes me cringe.
I want the second stick for camera control.
Shooters will be just as terrible and akward on psp as on consoles.

Bring on patapon 4 and a bunch of action/arcade/racing/platformer/2d/innovative games.

Here's an excerpt from Giant Bomb's Jeff Gerstmann

Uncharted: Golden Abyss is clearly the star of the show. Sony Bend is working on this one, and their presentation tossed out a few numbers, like their ability to put 160MB of textures on screen or the notion that Drake has 3,000 separate animations. That aside, the game looked good--not quite console-quality, if you were to hold it up against Uncharted 2, but close enough that it practically doesn't matter. The game appears to be a standalone adventure set before the first game, but that doesn't mean that it's a prequel that's designed to lead into the core series.

Read the rest of the article here for general NGP impressions: http://www.giantbomb.com/news/uncharted-ngp-hands-on/3287/

Has there been any mention of multiplayer modes? Syphon Filter for PSP had incredible online multiplayer. I must've played over 100 hours of team deathmatch. It even had fucking voice chat - Sony Bend are gods.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Irish

SneakyStephan said:
The shooter talk makes me cringe.
I want the second stick for camera control.
Shooters will be just as terrible and akward on psp as on consoles.

Bring on patapon 4 and a bunch of action/arcade/racing/platformer/2d/innovative games.

Mouse and KB sucks. Now what? WASD is a terrible way to move (digital always will be) and the lack of any real feeling from the mouse makes it a bore to use. (Point, click, dead)

How ignorant do you have to be to assume PSV means PS5? What so they suddenly decided to use a roman numeral and skip the PS4? Come on. People are just grasping at straws now.

Ratba

Unconfirmed Member
...Uncharted Golden Abyss certainly isn't the sort of first-person shooter experience that will completely stress test the abilities of the NGP's dual thumbsticks, ...

What you talkin' 'bout Kotaku?

i cant believe there will be 2 NEW Uncharted games by the end of the year (supposedly)... i hope that doesnt lead to some serious Uncharted fatigue... Ill have to space them out on my own, i guess. PS3 first, no doubt.

God, this game is going to make me get a PSV. I need to figure out what I'm going to do next-gen. I've been considering going one-console man for a long time in an attempt to narrow down my urge to buy everything and end up with a massive catalogue of unplayed games. Depending on what happens with the PS4 and what we hear about the PSV (not being region free is an absolute dealbreaker for me) and, of course, price, I might have to breakdown and buy both.

Cyberia

Some simple numbers underline that fact: Resistance Retribution pushed some 50,000 polygons per frame, whereas Golden Abyss is throwing around 260,000.

Impressive figures, but what really counts for many is how close the game flies to the PS3 originals. Bar the occasional flat texture, it's every bit as attractive as Drake's Fortune (though understandably it can't quite scale the incredible heights of Among Thieves). Real-time dynamic lighting and advanced shaders bring some current-gen flair, and the environments are every bit as glorious as those featured in the console versions.

Drake himself looks equally dashing, especially once he's been plunged into water. He emerges soaking, his damp clothes slowly drying out over time as he leaves soggy footprints in his wake. It's a trick we've seen before, but it's much more impressive when it's playing out in the palm of your hand.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-06-02-uncharted-golden-abyss-preview-preview

JCreasy

Looks like I'm gonna have to get me one of these. This thread pretty much sealed the deal. Good job Sony. There's life in the old girl yet . . .

Top Bottom