• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted Golden Abyss (PSVita) Hands-on previews [Update: Gameplay Video]

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
So entirely new adventure set before DF, then? No Elena then :(

I wonder if there will be anything supernatural in this game... it seemed like DF was Drake's first encounter with it... but maybe not.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Drake was the only series regular that's in this game.

Shadow780

SolidSnakex said:
New Uncharted gameplay

qvVBo.jpg

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/06/02/ngp-previews-let’s-talk-games-starting-with-uncharted/

SHIEEEET, someone do me in the back.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
SolidSnakex said:
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Drake was the only series regular that's in this game.
They mentioned sully will be in the game. Other than that, who knows. I'm expecting the evil lady in uncharted 3 to make an appearance.

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
It's a stand-alone adventure, but it takes place before DF, but they say it's not a prequel? If it takes place before DF, it's a prequel, no? Is it canon or are they splitting off the universe or are they just saying "Whatever, up to you."

I believe they are not calling it a prequel because it doesnt lead into Drakes Fortune.

The good thing about this IP is that you can use a 1000 different scenarios without them interrelating to a huge degree and still have a great stand alone game.

Using the touchscreen to zoom in on the sniper rifle is a nice touch. I can't way to get my hands on the NGP and the new uncharted.

Don said:
I would love to see Eddy Raja show up somehow.
I like the way you think. That would be a perfect tip of the hat to the original because it seemed as if the two had some history we were unaware of.

Apath

Kuran said:
You get people of all sorts around here -- there's always one.

Visuals blew me away. I expected them to be good, but that looks pretty damn close to Drake's Fortune. I could only imagine how much better it'll look on a 5" OLED screen as opposed to blown up on my 13" Macbook LCD screen. If this comes at launch, just re-confirms that I'll be getting this and Wipeout Day 1 with the system.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Keikoku said:
Sounds like the typical PSP spin-off trend all over again.
I agree. As cool as this game looks, it looks like Sony learned nothing.

Wolfgunblood Garopa said:
That was more than a couple polygons ago, and I seem to remember that being a great game. Uncharted plays itself compared to the first TR.

No...it bored the hell out of me... Weak shooting, boring narrative, "sex symbol" heroine and all

TrojanBlade said:
oh and Dark Souls port please!!!!!

"I like the platform. It's very attractive," he told Eurogamer during a recent interview.

"We're not considering it right now but there's always a chance. There's always a sense that I'd like to try and do something on that platform."

"If we were going to port [the series] to the NGP, I would probably redesign it so it fits the handheld," Miyazaki confirmed. "It won't be a straight port, if we do happen to do it."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-02-04-miyazaki-up-for-doing-dark-souls-ngp

Apath

thetrin said:
Sony releasing quality "console"-like titles does not show they learned nothing. It's no different than Nintendo releasing Ocarina of Time or Mario Kart on the DS. What matters is if they make ground-up experiences for the handheld that can only be done on the handheld. It's not one or the other like everyone makes it out to be.

The Lamp

I really hope the game doesn't just try to be Uncharted PS3...ported to a portable. I hope it takes real, innovative, and unique advantage of the NGP's touchpad, camera, and motion controls, as well as the fact that it's a portable. But not just in a tacky, gimmicky fashion that makes you wish you were playing it on a console. I'd prefer it if they made the pacing appropriate for a portable...something you'd take with you and want to play in bursts, and not in marathon sessions...because I just can't seem to focus on uber long cutscenes and things of that nature when I'm playing on the go, as opposed to when I'm sitting on my couch at home. Just..you know, try to make a unique and interesting portable Uncharted game and not just Uncharted PS3 on a smaller screen.

JCreasy

The Lamp said:
I really hope the game doesn't just try to be Uncharted PS3...ported to a portable. I hope it takes real, innovative, and unique advantage of the NGP's touchpad, camera, and motion controls, as well as the fact that it's a portable. But not just in a tacky, gimmicky fashion that makes you wish you were playing it on a console. I'd prefer it if they made the pacing appropriate for a portable...something you'd take with you and want to play in bursts, and not in marathon sessions...because I just can't seem to focus on uber long cutscenes and things of that nature when I'm playing on the go, as opposed to when I'm sitting on my couch at home. Just..you know, try to make a unique and interesting portable Uncharted game and not just Uncharted PS3 on a smaller screen.

Here, I got something I'd like you to see: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/06/02/ngp-previews-let’s-talk-games-starting-with-uncharted/

thetrin said:
So you're making that judgement based on the entire launch line up?
If so i'm struggling to understand how you can make that claim.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
My first thought is that controlling Drake by dragging on the screen actually disconnects you from the character far more than using a stick or a d-pad. This sounds like forced Sixaxis functionality all over again.

My second thought is that I don't want great looking, console-style games that I'd actually want to play relegated to a goddamn handheld.

JCreasy

hey_it's_that_dog said:
My second thought is that I don't want great looking, console-style games that I'd actually want to play relegated to a goddamn handheld.

I hope they use the platform to tell more side stories with secondary characters we've come to love. I think the Daxter game was the greatest example of this.

I think it would have been pure genius if Golden Abyss was centered on Eddy Raja as the main character. They could've told his back story as a mercenary/pirate. Maybe we could find out something cool about him, like he once served with the Gurkhas before becoming a mercenary or something like that.

Even more genius? If they pulled an MGS2 and SWITCHED to Eddy Raja as the main character after Drake gets captured in an introduction or something like that.

They should experiment with story content more on the PS Vita, tell cool stories that the main series doesn't have time to tell. Explore cool characters with cult followings. Stuff like that.

KAL2006

Banned
hey_it's_that_dog said:
My first thought is that controlling Drake by dragging on the screen actually disconnects you from the character far more than using a stick or a d-pad. This sounds like forced Sixaxis functionality all over again.

If thats the case, maybe you should consider iPhone gaming, I heard those games are perfect small games for handheld gaming. It would be a waste to buy a beast like NGP for the types of games you are looking for.

beast786

hey_it's_that_dog said:

You can always put a Waxy film on top of the screen. It will make it less good looking.

problem solved.

Bowdz

For a first gen NGP title, it looks mindblowingly good. If Sony keeps quality teams like Bend and Ready at Dawn developing for the NGP, than I cannot imagine the visuals a few years down the road.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
KAL2006 said:
If thats the case, maybe you should consider iPhone gaming, I heard those games are perfect small games for handheld gaming. It would be a waste to buy a beast like NGP for the types of games you are looking for.

All I said was that I want to play console experiences and not being able to play them on a console is a downer. That does not at all imply I want to play handheld games of any kind.

We first spoke with John Garvin and Chris Reese of Sony Bend Studio, who are developing the highest profile launch title, UNCHARTED: Golden Abyss

Well, NGP is day one then for me, damn you Sony...

Top Bottom