• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted Golden Abyss (PSVita) Hands-on previews [Update: Gameplay Video]

StuBurns

Banned
KAL2006 said:
I think there will be a demand for it, Majority of folks didn't really carry their PSP's and Ds's in their pocket. They usually carry it in a bag. I personally play handhelds at home in bed or around the house (garden, couch and etc). I also may use handhelds for holidays, long bus rides, when staying over in another house, lunch breaks at work and etc. I don't see the size being a problem, in fact DSi XL was a huge seller. Hell if this has a decent web browser I would probably just bring my Vita only instead of my laptop to work for lunch breaks.
Excellent points, I really have no informed information about the 'handheld' demographic in regards to use, it seems like size would be a negative, but I really can't say.

sun-drop

really glad i brought a galaxy S2 ...that thing weighs next to nothing in my pocket ..think the idea of carrying around two devices is a lot more acceptable to me considering that.

i've had the worlds most pwoerful cell phone for like 3 weeks or so now, and while playing games like shinobis revenge 2 etc cool to show off with .... i've hardly gamed on the thing. 100 % touch just doesn't work for real games. not enough to make me play them over watching a vid or playing some tunes n my cell.

so yeh ...bring on this OLED/twin-stick goodness. i'm ready.

KingK

Damn, looks good. Too bad the NGP is gonna be so expensive.
I just can't bring myself to pay over $200 for a handheld. I do hope to get both the NGP and 3DS eventually though, once their prices go down below $200. I guess I'll have a great selection of games to get when I finally get them then lol.

Cyberia

snaketemple_03.jpg

Chozo

Uncover the dark secret behind the 400-year-old massacre of a Spanish expedition as Nathan Drake follows the murderous trail of an ancient and secret Spanish sect.

Oh! Oh! I know this! Is it
mutated humans
?

Other than that...looks pretty good, although a lot of the motion control stuff reminds me too much of Uncharted 1's six-axis control for grenade chucking.

PS. I know a lot of the motion control stuff is optional

PPS. Jeff Gerstmann at 1:44 on the PS Blog gameplay video?

Huff

Banned
funkystudent said:
So this is a prequel to Drakes Fortune?

This game MUST have Eddy Raja.

Wasn't it said that it is not an actual prequel because it doesn't lead directly to DF? It still looks like it happens in before DF though

funkystudent said:
So this is a prequel to Drakes Fortune?

This game MUST have Eddy Raja.

It takes place before Uncharted 1 but they said you don't need to play any of the other Uncharted games to enjoy the story in this game. Golden Abyss is its own game so in that sense it's not a prequel.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
StuBurns said:
Excellent points, I really have no informed information about the 'handheld' demographic in regards to use, it seems like size would be a negative, but I really can't say.
I see the NGP more of a competition to the iPad than the iTouch & 3DS. I am thinking it wrong here?

kaskade

Holy graphics. I don't really know if I want a console experience on the go though. Looks incredible either way.

Drake is carrying a knife.

I hope that means there are melee weapons! I've wanted those ever since the first trailer that showed him beating up dudes with a rod/crowbar.

Verendus

Banned
BroHuffman said:
Wasn't it said that it is not an actual prequel because it doesn't lead directly to DF? It still looks like it happens in before DF though
Haha, what? Who said that?

A prequel is just a work that takes place earlier in time from the original piece. This game is a prequel whether it leads into the original Uncharted or not.

I think the term they were looking for is stand alone.

Huff

Banned
Kam said:
Haha, what? Who said that?

A prequel is just a work that takes place earlier in time from the original piece. This game is a prequel whether it leads into the original Uncharted or not.

I think the term they were looking for is stand alone.

It was just something I thought I remembered hearing somewhere, saying it wasn't a prequel but also happened before the 2 other games. Basically someone playing around with the word prequel and what it actually means.

Not saying I agree with that.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
It looks like a lot of fun. The only thing I wasn't a fan of in the video was the touch screen controls. That didn't look like fun to me. Is there an option to play it without those features? I remember back when it was announced, someone had mentioned you could turn them off or something, but I'm not entirely 100% sure.

StuBurns

Banned
Lonely1 said:
I see the NGP more of a competition to the iPad than the iTouch & 3DS. I am thinking it wrong here?
I'm not sure, I certainly see it as an iTouch/3DS style device, no idea what Sony thinks though.

Boney

Banned
NGP looks awesome (is it oficially Vita now?), so slim, and the graphically, Uncharted looks amazing. But the whole touch gimmick looks awful. They should've been incorporating more back panel, since touch needs you to stop holding the thing with a hand.

Still, pretty excited for handheld future!

chemicals

cj_iwakura said:
The Vita's not a bad title. PSV has a nice ring to it.

You know what would be a good name for a Sony portable? PSP (Playstation Portable) -

what??

oh my bad. Already happened. Who else here thinks that the graphics and features of NGP will not matter and it will never even come close to the sales of whatever Nintendo handheld is out there at the time NGP launches?

Let's all face the facts.. the NGP could wipe your ass and make a martini, and it STILL won't sell well enough to compete.

Man

Boney said:
NGP looks awesome (is it oficially Vita now?)
The official dev site refers to that name.
Links found on the PS.Blog.
Rumors about the name started before this.
Images of logo leaked.

It's about as official as it can get without being official. :p

Yes. It is the name.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
StuBurns said:
I'm not sure, I certainly see it as an iTouch/3DS style device, no idea what Sony thinks though.

This interview illuminates their thinking nicely:

http://www.next-gen.biz/features/shuhei-yoshida-ngp

Cliff notes - you can't compete with a smartphone, so you may as well focus on advantages a different form factor can bring. There is a market for 'second screens' other than your phone, as evidenced by devices like iPad. So they see it more in the latter category - not because it's a tablet per se, but because it can allow it to focus on a different type of experience without compromising to fit in your pocket better.

Tobor

gofreak said:

Cliff notes - you can't compete with a smartphone, so you may as well focus on advantages a different form factor can bring. There is a market for 'second screens' other than your phone, as evidenced by devices like iPad. So they see it more in the latter category - not because it's a tablet per se, but because it can allow it to focus on a different type of experience without compromising to fit in your pocket better.
By that definition, the 3DS and iPod Touch also qualify.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Tobor said:
By that definition, the 3DS and iPod Touch also qualify.

3DS, yeah, iPod Touch, I'm not sure. The latter is heavily informed by the constraints of its smartphone brother's design. It's not necessarily something that sits as something sufficiently differentiated that you would want it in addition to your smartphone (and certainly not your iPhone, obviously).

KAL2006

Banned
gofreak said:
3DS, yeah, iPod Touch, I'm not sure. The latter is heavily informed by the constraints of its smartphone brother's design. It's not necessarily something that sits as something sufficiently differentiated that you would want it in addition to your smartphone (and certainly not your iPhone, obviously).

People who have a smartphone like iPhone wouldn't own a iPod Touch as it wouldn't be needed. Though things like iPad, Kindle, 3DS, Vita and etc are devices more tailored to a specific feature and don't necessarily be have to always be in your pocket.

Boney

Banned
Man said:
Images of logo leaked.

Yes. It is the name.
Hmmmm... I guess I'll have to let it sink.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
KAL2006 said:
People who have a smartphone like iPhone wouldn't own a iPod Touch as it wouldn't be needed.
I own an iPod Touch and a smartphone. I don't mind keeping both around because the iPod is a much better music device than my phone, but my phone works in a pinch. I am fine with having items which are somewhat feature redundant if I am getting superior performance.

That being said, I consider a portable gaming device way different than a phone or an mp3 player. They are a whole different beast. But I'm not the average consumer I guess.

On topic, this looks pretty great. If this launches with even a remotely reasonable price (or a new Ridge Racer) I'm going to cave. I have nearly zero self control when it comes to new hardware.

Man said:
Images of logo leaked.

Yes. It is the name.

Ugh what a terrible name then.
Sounds like some overpriced 'design' slash positive reinforcement crap Bose, B&O or Apple would come up with to trick midlifecrisis elderly folks into thinking having their prostate fondled by marketing in exchange for their life savings equals a good product.

SneakyStephan said:
Ugh what a terrible name then.
Sounds like some overpriced 'design' slash positive reinforcement crap Bose, B&O or Apple would come up with to trick midlifecrisis elderly folks into thinking having their prostate fondled by marketing in exchange for their life savings equals a good product.

so its going to work then?

Korosenai

Does anyone know if the NGP will use the memory stick duo like the psp does?

I want the NGP and it'd be easier on me if I could just use the same memory stick I have now.

dreamfall

Completely astounding! I can't wait to get my hands on this. I really do hope Sony includes some magical microfiber cloth to wipe away some of my fingerprints/drool when interacting with the device!

Rewrite said:
It looks like a lot of fun. The only thing I wasn't a fan of in the video was the touch screen controls. That didn't look like fun to me. Is there an option to play it without those features? I remember back when it was announced, someone had mentioned you could turn them off or something, but I'm not entirely 100% sure.

all touchscreen/gyro control are optional except for some puzzle elements. climbing/grenades/swinging/1st person aiming using touch and motion are optional. puzzles like scratching 4 pieces of maps and then rearranging them to make a complete maps are only playable with touch.

yurinka

gofreak said:

A gamer only cares about some few iOS games, that are (or will be) available in Minis or PS Suite.

So this gamer can play them with proper gaming controls: pad, analogs and buttons, and not just a touchscreen and crappy motion sensors.

Top Bottom