• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted Golden Abyss (PSVita) Hands-on previews [Update: Gameplay Video]

Didn't care much for game based on the screenshots (I mean the graphics look quite good, and I enjoyed uc1 and 2 on ps3 but I have/had basically zero interest in playing another uncharted game. after 2 games of third person cover shooting crap).

But holy shit, for a handheld game it looks ridiculous in motion, what the fuck, how?
From the first footage shown it looke like it would all be super limited closed off corridor stuff to have to render as little geometry as possible, but this looks amazing.

Izayoi

Banned
TrojanBlade said:
$299 and I am there day 1

oh and Dark Souls port please!!!!!
Dream on.

Looks good, but how about some direct-feed footage?

This is going to be one of those things where we don't get real screenshots until after the game actually launches, isn't it? Ugh.

KevinCow

Banned
I hate to be negative, but the ways they're using the touch screen seem really pointless. With the exception of maybe precision aiming grenades, it all seems like they're using the touch screen just for the sake of using the touch screen.

Other than that, I'm sure the game will be good. But it's just about the only thing I can think about every time they show the game off and constantly point out how you can tap the next platform to jump to it, or slide your finger along the screen to watch Drake climb.

Ashes

Banned
In the comment section, jeff talks about super stardust delta.... Is that a port, or a new game?

Edit: Video not working on the iPad... :(
It was with wipeout. 2048 though... :?

jiggles

Banned
Always-honest said:
you are watching it on what?
Unless it's direct-feed footage, you don't need to be viewing it on the actual device to spot the absence of a backlight and get a feel for how great the blacks are.

Sure, with my monitor's backlight, I'm not seeing them exactly as they are, but you can still tell they're much better than on an LCD screen. I mean, if you filmed an OLED and a LCD screen, both showing all black, you'd be able to identify them easily.

Grisby

Jarmel said:
Anyone notice this? I thought the frame rate dropped a few times in the video.

Yes. Lottttt of touch stuff. More then I thought there would be. Optional though so thats cool.

BadWolf

If this is what day one stuff looks like then holy shit at the possibility of what we might see a few years from now.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
SunhiLegend said:
rtnxns.gif
dual analogs ftw

syoaran

Sounds like the game is now past a content milestone if they got Sony's external QA house working on it now.

Unofficially confirmed for a 2011 release?

scar tissue said:
visuals are great for a handheld, but certainly not PS3 level

WTF who is expecting this? Come on no one should expect this to go above or even close to PS3 levels...That would not make sense even from a business perspective for Sony.

But it has the BEST visuals for a handheld which is what matters because it should and will be compared to other handhelds. And the dual sticks just makes it the almost perfect handheld.

StuBurns

Banned
nelsonroyale said:
Heh, I'm half-Indian though, a country which has gold on the brain
I'm not sure what it is, I never connect gold with piss, but golden I do.

Concerning the PSV, I'm not convinced it'll be a good 'portable' system, but it's going to be the greatest in-bed entertainment device ever.

Vinci

Danish
Won't lie. The more I hear about this system, the more likely I am to support Sony this time around. Bravo, gentlemen. Admittedly they could fuck all that goodwill to hell by announcing an insane pricepoint, but barring that...

Vinci

Danish
StuBurns said:
I'm not sure what it is, I never connect gold with piss, but golden I do.

Concerning the PSV, I'm not convinced it'll be a good 'portable' system, but it's going to be the greatest in-bed entertainment device ever.

A bit too revealing and sad, don't you think? ;)

StuBurns

Banned
Vinci said:
A bit too revealing and sad, don't you think? ;)
True, the plastic vagina is the real winner.

You know what I mean, if you don't want to take up a TV, this thing is perfect. Even solo if you want a bit of Gilmore Girls on while you play, this is a god send.

Vinci

Danish
StuBurns said:
True, the plastic vagina is the real winner.

You know what I mean, if you don't want to take up a TV, this thing is perfect. Even solo if you want a bit of Gilmore Girls on while you play, this is a god send.

Honestly, my interest stems from all the control methods. The pretty screen is just icing for me. Even without that, the cake sounded pretty damned tasty.

Spiegel

Vinci said:
Won't lie. The more I hear about this system, the more likely I am to support Sony this time around. Bravo, gentlemen. Admittedly they could fuck all that goodwill to hell by announcing an insane pricepoint, but barring that...

I'm on the same boat. Everything looks great and probably worth the money but I don't want to spend >250$ and Sony most likely will end fucking things pricing it outside of mainstream prices (for a handheld console).

StuBurns

Banned
Vinci said:
Honestly, my interest stems from all the control methods. The pretty screen is just icing for me. Even without that, the cake sounded pretty damned tasty.
That stuff doesn't really interest me, but dual sticks and the nice big screen are awesome. It's not looking very outdoor friendly, I'll almost certainly be using my iPhone for any outdoor gaming. I'm concerned for Sony, because I'm not sure what kind of demand there is for a device like this.

Vinci

Danish
StuBurns said:
That stuff doesn't really interest me, but dual sticks and the nice big screen are awesome. It's not looking very outdoor friendly, I'll almost certainly be using my iPhone for any outdoor gaming. I'm concerned for Sony, because I'm not sure what kind of demand there is for a device like this.

Oh, I'm counting dual sticks in that control methods love. Don't get me wrong. Thrilled to see dual sticks on it.

As for demand: Meh. If Sony ain't concerned, I ain't concerned. Though if this or the PS4 puts the company into the ground, I won't be happy.

KAL2006

Banned
StuBurns said:
That stuff doesn't really interest me, but dual sticks, the nice big screen, it's not looking very outdoor friendly, I'll almost certainly be using my iPhone for any outdoor gaming. I'm concerned for Sony, because I'm not sure what kind of demand there is for a device like this.

I think there will be a demand for it, Majority of folks didn't really carry their PSP's and Ds's in their pocket. They usually carry it in a bag. I personally play handhelds at home in bed or around the house (garden, couch and etc). I also may use handhelds for holidays, long bus rides, when staying over in another house, lunch breaks at work and etc. I don't see the size being a problem, in fact DSi XL was a huge seller. Hell if this has a decent web browser I would probably just bring my Vita only instead of my laptop to work for lunch breaks.

Top Bottom