• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Serious Sam 3: BFE E3 roundup - "This is what my people refer to as fun."

Sciz

uPkIG.png

Dealspwn
IGN
Gamespot (plus video interview)
Destructoid
Game Informer
OXM
Joystiq
GamesRadar
Ars Technica
G4
Machinima (video interview)
GameTrailers (video interview)

New bits of information:
-40-80% of the environment is destructible, both by you and by the enemy hordes, which will actively break it down to get to you
-Weapons:
--No chainsaw or knife, just the sledgehammer and new melee kills
--New shotgun that fires explosive shells
--The minigun, double-barreled shotgun, rocket launcher, and cannon all return
--No sniper rifle, the assault rifle's scope takes its spot
--Croteam is toying with a Duke Nukem pipe bomb-esque C4 charge that may or may not make it in
-Levels up to 3x the size of First Encounter's biggest
-There's a sprint function
-Retailing for less than $60

OXM said:
Most of the changes are incidental, though. Beneath the gloss of the upped visuals and the impressive enemy counts, Serious Sam 3: BFE maintains the same spirit as the original. Levels are still gore splatterfests with wave after wave of monsters gleefully sprinting into the ugly end of your shotgun. Weapons are still powerful as ever with so many great additions it'll be tough for anyone to pick a single favourite. And crucially, the back-peddling, circle-strafing, fire-'til-your-finger-bleeds gameplay of old just doesn't get old.

Serious Sam 3: BFE doesn't do things smartly and it doesn't need to. Croteam's in a genre of one - and with little in the way of competition (Duke Nukem Forever would be its closest rival) they can do whatever they want. They're just having a blast and it's made for a great palette cleanser.

Sweet, really want this one. Hope there will be gameplay showings soon, or are they already in one of the links? I don't know what to expect from the destructible environments, seems everything will be a wasteland in ten seconds.

EDIT: It is still not known where BFE stands for right? That's some damn good trolling.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Yeah this is the game I want. Looks like pure fun.

Prophet Steve said:
Sweet, really want this one. Hope there will be gameplay showings soon, or are they already in one of the links? I don't know what to expect from the destructible environments, seems everything will be a wasteland in ten seconds.

EDIT: It is still not known where BFE stands for right? That's some damn good trolling.

Big Fucking Enemies

What is it with devs taking out the color from their games? SS has always been a colorful and goofy as hell game. What could possibly be the reason for making this into a drab piece of shit?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
perfectnight said:
What is it with devs taking out the color from their games? SS has always been a colorful and goofy as hell game. What could possibly be the reason for making this into a drab piece of shit?
Only compared to modern titles. SS1 was certainly no Far Cry. SS2 was far more goofy and colorful, but it was awful.

Sciz

Syril said:
Sprint function? I hope that doesn't mean normal movement is slower.
Doesn't seem to be, looking at the video footage.

perfectnight said:
Part of it is that they take screenshots and trailer footage at lower saturation settings than what the engine lets you crank it up to, and part of it is that you don't want a game like this to have incredibly colorful environments. Most of the color is in the enemies so that you can read them easily against the terrain, which is by far and away the most important thing the player needs to be able to do (shooting and running backwards aside). SS2 and even some parts of TSE got that wrong.

Persona7

Banned
Hellshadow said:
Didn't the original Serious Sam come out for $19.99? I can't remember back that far.
I can't remember either, ha.

I do remember the gamecube serious sam being 19.99 though at launch.

Sciz

Hellshadow said:
Didn't the original Serious Sam come out for $19.99? I can't remember back that far.
Both TFE and TSE launched at $20. Twice, counting the HD versions.

SS2 came out at $30 for PC and $40 for Xbox. It wouldn't surprise me if SS3 follows similar pricing. Perhaps even less, since there's talk of it showing up on XBLA before retail.

Syril

Hellshadow said:

It did. The entire reason that game was made in the first place was to tech demo their graphics engine. The Encounters had a ludicrous amount of graphics settings, and they even did 4-player splitscreen.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
The Serious Sam HD guy looks a hell of a lot better than the BFE guy.

Sciz

One more trickled in from Destructoid yesterday. Apparently Jim Sterling is a Sam aficionado.

Azih said:
Oh come on man, even in that shot the HUD is in primary colours, the level is incredibly bright and the trees have a very breen green.
SS3 is grittier, but I haven't seen anything from it that makes me think they're doing anything different with how they use color. Haven't seen the HUD yet, but it'll probably be green again. Like the enemies, it's terribly important information and has to pop out against the brown and yellow background.

Zek

Contempt For Challenge
I think a gritty ultra-serious art style fits well with this game. That's sort of the joke.

Weenerz

Banned
The engine they made looks amazing for the amount of enemies they are putting on screen. I cannot wait to dive into this.

Sciz said:
One more trickled in from Destructoid yesterday. Apparently Jim Sterling is a Sam aficionado.

SS3 is grittier, but I haven't seen anything from it that makes me think they're doing anything different with how they use color. Haven't seen the HUD yet, but it'll probably be green again. Like the enemies, it's terribly important information and has to pop out against the brown and yellow background.
In contrast to what he thinks, I believe this game looks amazing since I'll expect this games will run silky smooth again with a huge number of enemies. Which will look absolutely great with these graphics.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Sciz said:

This sounds interesting:
Your Cannon is the best for this, although enemies themselves can often blast or simply run through solid brick walls. You can't just camp behind a building if a Werebull is on the rampage now -- it'll smash through that building just to get to you.

Looks like SS3 has destructible buildings.

-SD-

Banned
Cow Mengde said:
The humor is there, but I'm disappointed over the lost of colors in SS3.
That's a still ongoing trend I absolutely HATE.

The movies started it with the killing of colors and brightness and now it's in games >8(

Teknoman

Prophet Steve said:

Probably posted, but its has to be Before First Encounter since it takes place before Serious Sam: The First Encounter.

Teknoman said:
Probably posted, but its has to be Before First Encounter since it takes place before Serious Sam: The First Encounter.
Not posted, but haven't seen that information yet. Has Sam time traveled again or something in Serious Sam 2? Other guy said Big Fucking Enemies, and although the same thing came on my mind, I can't find a source.

Teknoman

Prophet Steve said:
Not posted, but haven't seen that information yet. Has Sam time traveled again or something in Serious Sam 2? Other guy said Big Fucking Enemies, and although the same thing came on my mind, I can't find a source.

http://serioussam.com/

Serious Sam 3: BFE

Serious Sam 3: BFE is a glorious throwback to the golden age of first-person shooters where men were men, cover was for amateurs and pulling the trigger made things go boom. Serving as a prequel to the original indie sensation, Serious Sam: The First Encounter, Serious Sam 3 takes place during the Earth’s final struggle against Mental’s invading legions of beasts and mercenaries. Set against the collapsing temples of an ancient civilization and the crumbling cities of 22nd century Egypt, Serious Sam 3 is an exhilarating fusion of classic twitch shooters and modern gameplay features.

So SS3 -> SS FE -> SS SE -> SS2 (never played this one, so not sure what happened here).

They dont flat out state it, but since it's a prequel, thats what i'm going with.

Sciz

Ok, I wasn't planning to bump this topic again, but a couple more previews came out and one of them has a particularly interesting bit for anyone who felt burned by SS2.

Dealspwn - Probably the most detailed preview out of any of these things, or at least the most enthusiastic
G4

Serious Sam: The First and Second Encounters heralded a glorious golden age for FPS gaming. Croteam’s classics threw exposition and caution to the wind; letting us engage in an orgy of carnage, circle-strafing and gunplay in its purest form. Sadly the sequel was rightfully panned for taking an overly comedic and humorous approach… and once I’d taken my seat within Los Angeles’ luxurious Figueroa Hotel, the Devolver Digital rep explained that Serious Sam’s former publisher, 2K Games, had put undue pressure on the developers to make their game less serious. Now shacked up with Devolver, Croteam have free rein to “make the game they always wanted to make.”
So yeah. Thanks a lot, 2K.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Can't wait for this.

Teknoman said:
http://serioussam.com/

Serious Sam 3: BFE

Serious Sam 3: BFE is a glorious throwback to the golden age of first-person shooters where men were men, cover was for amateurs and pulling the trigger made things go boom. Serving as a prequel to the original indie sensation, Serious Sam: The First Encounter, Serious Sam 3 takes place during the Earth’s final struggle against Mental’s invading legions of beasts and mercenaries. Set against the collapsing temples of an ancient civilization and the crumbling cities of 22nd century Egypt, Serious Sam 3 is an exhilarating fusion of classic twitch shooters and modern gameplay features.

So SS3 -> SS FE -> SS SE -> SS2 (never played this one, so not sure what happened here).

They dont flat out state it, but since it's a prequel, thats what i'm going with.

'Before First Encounter' sounds about right, then.

Sciz

Oh hell yes.

Undercode is doing SS3's boss music.

For the people who aren't enormous Serious Sam nerds and don't get what that means, Undercode is a Croatian metal band that released their first album the same year The Second Encounter was in development. Croteam tracked them down and got three of the tracks from that album reworked as TSE's boss music. Follow the links, they're fucking awesome. The whole album is.

Apparently they've also written a theme song for the series now.

They're also finally working on a second album.

Hell. Yes.

In other news, Croteam programmer Alen Ladavac dropped by the Seriously! forums to explain a couple of the game design decisions:

Alen Ladavac said:
Just to explain a few things that seem to be misinterpreted:

Without pressing the sprint button, Sam already runs very fast, like in TFE/TSE (which is much faster than in "realistic" games). Sprinting is added on top of that, and is useful for large area exploration, speedruns, and similar. If we allowed for firing during sprinting, then there would be no need for a separate button which everyone would just hold down all the time. We could just make the default speed higher. But it already is very high.

Reloading can serve two purposes. One is to allow a weapon to have a higher rate of fire, without outbalancing other weapons (because average total rate of fire is still the same, while short bursts can fire a lot of bullets in quick succession). Weapon drawbacks are one of basic tools of a game designer in creating an interesting game. This approach brought a lot of interesting details in previous games: minigun spinup, double-shotgun reload after each shot, cannon holding longer for stronger shots, etc.

Another is to introduce more complex and interesting rhythm into fights. It breaks a steady rhythm of shots with a different beat that happens at regular intervals. This does not dumb down the action - it makes it even more frantic. Just when you thought you have the situation under control - you are out of clip. Your "dance" has to be more complex and adrenaline rises higher. It also makes you care more about not missing. E.g. if a particular weapon takes X shots to take down one enemy and you have a clip of N, in a wave of them, you have N/X kills per clip. One miss usually means you've lost the count and lose one enemy per clip. This can make a big difference when playing on high difficulties and gives greater opportunity for differentiation on leaderboards. Note that it is only available on select few weapons where we deemed it was beneficiary to the gameplay.

While some people may think it would be best that absolutely nothing was changed, it would then be boring and feel like it is just a new set of levels for HD:TSE. So we decided to change a few things taking care that the changes actually improve the action gameplay, not hinder it. I hope everyone will try those things in actual game for a while before making final judgment. In our tests this really works well.

JaseC said:
'Before First Encounter' sounds about right, then.
Maybe. Croteam said something about time paradoxes a while back, and it seems like Sam does go through the Time Lock at some point. I'm not banking on the game making a lot of sense.

Oh man, I can already tell the music in this game is going to fucking rock and add sooooo much to the game!!! I'm so pumped! Oh, and thank goodness Croteam is still around. Game like Serious Sam are a dying breed, sadly.

The HD remasters of the first two games look great, but BFE blows them out of the water. Even in its currently unfinished state – a “summer” release is planned – the textures show off a fine amount of detail, the environments crumble convincingly under sustained fire and Mental’s hordes come in huge waves. They stay behind in huge waves too; the Cro-Team rep conducting our E3 2011 demo pointed out that one advantage of the new engine is being able to keep all of the bloodied-up corpses lying around for you to marvel at.

This may seem trivial to most people, but this is highly important to me. It's always been a pet peeve of mine to see corpses just disappear, as it takes the immersion out of the game for me. Cannot wait!

derFeef

Uhm, you know that the top picture is a "previous" Serious Sam game?
I think people have a wrong image in their head.

derFeef said:
Uhm, you know that the top picture is a "previous" Serious Sam game?
I think people have a wrong image in their head.
I think it was sarcasm ;)

Second Encounter and Serious Sam 2 were pretty colorful though:
b327b7ccb5elarge.jpg.jpg

But we have only seen some desert shots so far, I think there are also some colorful environments.

Yoschi said:
2 PICTURES

Looks brown and dull like no previous Serious Sam game :( No Buy.

Is it bad that I think both screens look fine and think they could both be from the same series?

New game looks hot by the way. Betting on Mr. Sam this time around.

Yoschi

Don't you just love comparing stuff...

GBA
serioussam_042704_015_640w.jpg

SS1HD
1224xSeriousSamTFE_HD__3.jpg

SS2
SeriousSam2.jpg

SS3 :(
3.jpg

Where's the paintings? Is this part of the "story"?

But the best comparison is straight at the top in the OP:
MzxYk.jpg

Let's hope the game is serious fun, caus I ain't happy about the looks.

Mr Touchdown said:
Is it bad that I think both screens look fine and think they could both be from the same series?

New game looks hot by the way. Betting on Mr. Sam this time around.

Looks pretty cold to me

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Sciz said:
Probably. That's what the ruins of ancient Egypt actually look like in modern times.
Makes sense. It'd be nice if the game also threw you in the past so you could see all the bright colours from previous games.

Top Bottom