• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Serious Sam 3: BFE E3 roundup - "This is what my people refer to as fun."

The M.O.B

I'm too giddy at the more realistic/thus less colorful graphics but perhaps they are jus trolling the stereotypical bland color pallet of games these days.

As long as the gameplay is there i'm down.

Sciz

Sega1991 said:
It would amuse me if one of the graphics options for this was a slider for color saturation.
It is. The Serious Engine has always supported a ludicrous number of CPU and GPU options and settings, and SE3 is no exception. Among them are sliders for contrast and brightness and saturation, and even a menu for presets (including one labeled Noir, which is good for a laugh). I play SSHD with the saturation maxed out. More to the point, Croteam already confirmed that the color options are still in (as well as hippie blood mode!).

Yoschi said:
But what will it be set to by default?
All of those settings default to half. That's about where you want brightness and contrast, but the saturation is kind of drab by default and there's a lot of headroom to crank it up.

Yoschi said:
Don't you just love comparing stuff...

GBA
serioussam_042704_015_640w.jpg
wow, I wonder what the framerate was like

Coxswain

Yoschi said:
This screenshot (and others like it) makes me mildly angry, since just the sight of having to look down a scope with a red dot has basically become FPS shorthand for 'shitty game', but reading the designer's post and stuff has done a pretty good job of comforting me on that one; it sounds like they really get what makes Serious Sam better than modern FPS games, so I'm sure it won't really have a negative impact on the game.

That said, though, I really can't wait for this. I've been playing SSHD:TFE the last couple days, and holy hell it is just striking how good of a game that is compared to pretty much any modern FPS. The level design and enemy/encounter variety is really, really fantastic - you tend to mostly just remember the levels where they drop you into a giant, wide-open field and throw hundreds of enemies at you at the same time, but they really do a great job of pacing the game out with closed-off, indoor areas where just a few enemies can be just as deadly, or areas that are filled with obstructions that mean you need to keep an eye out in all directions, or multi-layered rooms that you need to fight your way through while winding in and out of all the different passages, ramps, bridges, etc, and the whole thing is peppered with a ton of really fun things to find when you explore. It's really not all just big, dumb, silly fun - it's a really, really well designed game in general, on just about every level. I hope they can recapture that for SS3.

Sciz said:
Oh hell yes.

Undercode is doing SS3's boss music.

For the people who aren't enormous Serious Sam nerds and don't get what that means, Undercode is a Croatian metal band that released their first album the same year The Second Encounter was in development. Croteam tracked them down and got three of the tracks from that album reworked as TSE's boss music. Follow the links, they're fucking awesome. The whole album is.

Apparently they've also written a theme song for the series now.

They're also finally working on a second album.

Hell. Yes.

Thank you for those links, man! Great music. Almost jizzed when heard that song made from the SS soundtrack.

RevDM

Banned
I remember this game pretty much being a rip off of Duke Nukem, and after hearing about how horrible Forever was, I'm excited about this.

Coxswain said:
That said, though, I really can't wait for this. I've been playing SSHD:TFE the last couple days, and holy hell it is just striking how good of a game that is compared to pretty much any modern FPS. The level design and enemy/encounter variety is really, really fantastic - you tend to mostly just remember the levels where they drop you into a giant, wide-open field and throw hundreds of enemies at you at the same time, but they really do a great job of pacing the game out with closed-off, indoor areas where just a few enemies can be just as deadly, or areas that are filled with obstructions that mean you need to keep an eye out in all directions, or multi-layered rooms that you need to fight your way through while winding in and out of all the different passages, ramps, bridges, etc, and the whole thing is peppered with a ton of really fun things to find when you explore. It's really not all just big, dumb, silly fun - it's a really, really well designed game in general, on just about every level. I hope they can recapture that for SS3.

Yup, the level design is absolutely fantastic and everything is so well paced. For the people who think Serious Sam is mindless, think again. Level design and pacing are all very well thought out. I tried convincing my friend that, but he'll have nothing to do with the series. Sucks for him, as he's missing out.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/06/20/hands-on-serious-sam-3/

Cryogenically frozen in 1994, developers Croteam have once again been defrosted, unaware of any of the events that have taken place in gaming since. And the result is such a relief. A pure shooter, no intricate story, no loving protagonist, no augmenting your legs, and no books to read. Just running around shooting waves of enemies so voluminous that they had to build their own engine from scratch to support them.

That’s no exaggeration, either. In the single level I played, there had to be at least forty enemies on screen at once. The Serious 3 Engine not only looks ridiculously pretty, but it seamlessly presents dozens and dozens of baddies without a stutter.

It was only one level I played, but it was a level true to the original games, which in turn were true to the classic shooters of the mid-nineties, and enormous fun. Of course it required running backward, of course there were ridiculous volumes of enemies, and of course I was stuck with the echo of that Kamikaze screaming in my head for the rest of the evening.

Oh, and something they mentioned at the last moment without any more explanation? 16 player co-op.

:O

This looks absolutely AMAZING. Like a proper Serious Sam game: colourful, hectic, full of enemies and no shitty cover system.

I hope this sells well... if not we're doomed to have CoD dudebro games till the end of this gen.

.la1n

Love how this game has come along since it's early stages of development. This is the game DNF should have been (not that I hated that game personally.)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Sciz said:
Maybe. Croteam said something about time paradoxes a while back, and it seems like Sam does go through the Time Lock at some point. I'm not banking on the game making a lot of sense.

If Sam bounces around between time periods, then perhaps they're not expanding upon the BFE initialism as the 'B' could mean 'Before' and 'Beyond'.

The M.O.B

16 PLAYER CO-OP?????

I will most definitely want in on a Gaf party for this.

Oh and I refuse to look down the iron sights, I will just map it to some obscure key I never use.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
iron sights and the red dot have no fucking place in a serious sam game. screw that.

otherwise, sounds good.

Top Bottom