• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DWARF FORTRESS - For real this time. - This topic is for you (yes YOU)

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Oh my god the change log is amazing

http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AT8EQVUjrv96ZGc5cnBwOHZfMjgyY3FzZHFtanA&hl=en

Toady brought health care to Dwarf Fortress:
Healthcare

-> Doctors, hospitals, and how to cure what ails you

* Hospitals are used like zones. Items it can used within these zones (beds, tables, boxes) are allow for hospital use
o They also use a new item, called a traction bench​
* Doctors can "prescribe" treatment, such as bedrest, using splints for broken bones, amputation for infected limbs, and surgery
o Doctors will set bones for simple fractures, use traction for difficult overlapping fractures and use surgery for disgusting compound fractures. They also excise rotting tissue and amputate limbs too rotted off to save.​
o The system where dwarves heal on the season change is gone​
* Wounds are dressed with bandages, which speeds healing and slows bleeding
o Sutures make wounds heal faster​
o Sutures can be ripped out in combat, causing pain/bleeding​
* Crutches are now in the game, allowing one legged dwarves/injured people to walk normally (as opposed to crawl). They will move faster as they get comfortable with their new crutch
o Casts are also in​
* Creatures can now clean the filth they acquire due to various materials, like mud, blood, vomit, etc.
o As such, soap has a use now, which deserves its own bullet point​
* You can appoint a "chief medical dwarf" to handle the various medical information, which requires the "Diagnosis" skill
o What type of various medical information? "unit wounds/status/required treatments/medical history, etc."- Think of it like the bookkeeper​
* Dwarves are more proactive in saving wounded people, and will do what they can in regards to bleeding on the way to the hospital
* "Eyelids clean the eyes so you don't have to soap them off, but if an eyelid is torn off, I think they might soap the eyes"
* Patients can use soap/water to clean wounds and grime to reduce infections. Sutures, casts, etc. will reduce infection as well
* All cloth and thread items have associated lengths/areas now. Threads are use for sutures (thus, one "thread" item could be used for multiple sutures) and cloth is used for bandages. Items in this way aren't split (ala coins or bolts), but rather, they're consumed in pieces
* Unskilled or apprentice doctors can make mistakes when treating a patient or doing surgery
* "Healthcare" as a skill is gone. It's been replaced by 7 new labor settings, 5 unit types, and 6 new skills
o There are different type of doctors associated with the skills​
o Dressing wounds, diagnosis, surgery, setting bones, suturing and walking with crutches appear to be the new skills​

This is a BFD.

Nice, following the tutorials step by step, and I'm not even able to make the first steps because the plump helmets needs some mud, and my cave only has soil.

_Bro

Banned
Farming now is about irrigation. Woo.

An easy thing to do if you're near a river is to do something like this

Level 2 (level above farm plot)

Level 1 (farm plot)

The *'s are open areas that you should designate as a pond using Zoning. Set it to Fill Pond. 8's are the floor path your dwarves can walk so water can be dumped. 4's are the farm plot.

Not sure how the pathing will work with this but that's the basic idea.

Could also go with the floodgate route.

I'd have more to say but SA isn't letting me view posts so I'm a bit out of the loop.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
New DF was released yesterday?!? Why didn't anyone tell me?!? Woot fucking woot. I'm on a Mac so I have to wait for the merge... but it won't be long now :D :D :D :D

_Bro

Banned
If anybody is having issues running the game go into the init file and turn PARTIAL_PRINT to YES.

I went from 25 fps to getting capped at 100. Now I can finally experience the update without browsing the internet while my dwarves move the five barrels of food I have 30 spaces.

_Bro said:
If anybody is having issues running the game go into the init file and turn PARTIAL_PRINT to YES.

I went from 25 fps to getting capped at 100. Now I can finally experience the update without browsing the internet while my dwarves move the five barrels of food I have 30 spaces.

Seems to have improved performance a bit I think.

Mobius 1

Nice :D

Are we going to give the succession game another try? This would be even funnier with the new and unfamiliar game mechanics.

_Bro

Banned
I'm down but Dwarf Fortress talk has been switching between 3 or so different threads.

Yeah, so down for a succession game -- especially if we can get a sweet name like my latest fortress, Dikequest.

So, I'm interested in playing Dwarf Fortress 2010 for Mac (but I can't find a version for mac, even though I think there is one). I read through quite a bit of the Something Awful succession game, and it got me interested enough to try it myself. Only thing is I don't think I could bare playing through with the ASCii graphics, so is there a step by step guide to patch in the different tilesets?

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
thestopsign said:
So, I'm interested in playing Dwarf Fortress 2010 for Mac (but I can't find a version for mac, even though I think there is one). I read through quite a bit of the Something Awful succession game, and it got me interested enough to try it myself. Only thing is I don't think I could bare playing through with the ASCii graphics, so is there a step by step guide to patch in the different tilesets?

Edit: Wait. I have my threads mixed up. In the op of this thread.

[Windows] Download DF here.
[Windows] Download DF with the Mayday graphics pack here.
[Mac / Linux] Not yet released. DF *is* OSX/Linux native, now. But the release lags a few weeks.
Your best friend: The Official Unofficial DF Wiki

Maybe this one, too.

We have a lot of dwarf fortress threads.

First post, yo:

Helpful links for first-timers:
Download the game (without graphics): Link
Download the game with graphics (Win): Link
Download the game with graphics (Mac/Linux): Link
Probably the best step-by-step tutorial. Follow this, and you'll know how to play: Link
Video Tutorials: Link
Dwarf Fortress Wiki (ie your best friend): Link

Servizio

thestopsign said:
The Mac DL link is broken.

Yeah, apparently the Linux/OSX releases lag a few weeks. My apologies.

[Mac / Linux] Not yet released. DF *is* OSX/Linux native, now. But the release lags a few weeks.

If it makes you mac users feel any better, there's a pathfinding bug in there right now that requires closing out of the game and restarting to get dwarves to path any time you build a door (and other stuff), so it's kind of unplayable for us too at the moment (why I didn't get too far into my starting fort, and post anything about it yet). Going to restart a new fort once it gets patched.

Mobius 1

thestopsign said:
The Mac DL link is broken.

Sorry, Im switching the hosting company. Once the Mac version is out I will put the link up again. Can't wait... I downloaded the Windows version but its still buggy.

Yeah, the game isnt really playable and i think the only reason the current release is out is because Toady got pressured into releasing it. Give it a few weeks for the worst bugs to be fixed and the Opengl stuff to be implemented before seriously giving the game a try.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
HarryHengst said:
Yeah, the game isnt really playable and i think the only reason the current release is out is because Toady got pressured into releasing it. Give it a few weeks for the worst bugs to be fixed and the Opengl stuff to be implemented before seriously giving the game a try.

Thank god I am not the only one. I so wish to play this but it was almost impossible since I couldnt even get my workers to work properly. Not sure if it was a bug or a new feature I wasnt aware of.

hitoshi

So, we have decided to write a feature about Dwarf Fortress. I don't want to bore you with the details, seeing that it will be never published in English, but... the interview we had with Tarn will be, and is.

I know it's really biased considering the fact that i'm in deep love with DF and I know that i'm going to be roasted here for that, but here it is. The pictures are fucked up for some reasons and there must be several typos and errors. I'm sorry about that.

http://bit.ly/atI9eG

KTallguy

Banned
Very interesting article, I will still never get into Dwarf Fortress until it becomes a little easier to play and understand. All those awesome systems are great, now give the player a means to experience the game in a more casual fashion.

After reading every post i this thread (yes every post) I am very eager to start playing this game! (but I must have a tile set with some good eye candy) How active is this game still? any good news from the developer?? how many gaffers are still playing it???

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
fifasnipe2224 said:
After reading every post i this thread (yes every post) I am very eager to start playing this game! (but I must have a tile set with some good eye candy) How active is this game still? any good news from the developer?? how many gaffers are still playing it???

Funny that you just posted a few days before I was intending to look for it again.

I'd say there are quite a few Gaffers who start it up once in a while, but I am waiting for the next patch before I get into it again.

You can read up on the developers progress here:
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/

He makes a blog post about every day, so he is very much still programming alot for the game.

Probably the most prominent tileset is the one posted in the OP

DFG13.png

However you might even try whether the 3d Visualiser still works and still is being updated, you could run it simultaneously with the game.

http://www.tigsource.com/2009/11/03/stonesense-dwarf-fortress-visualizer/

4071655207_868ca417cc_o.png

Toma

jim-jam bongs said:
Hmm. Perhaps it is time for my yearly attempt to learn how to play DF.

I was thinking about getting into it again as well. My last try is well over a year ago, I will need to relearn a lot of stuff.

Whatever, I'll download and start a fortress now and share some experiences. Join me!

Edit: I am probably going to start by watching that video. He mentions new stuff as well. Rock pots instead of wooden barrels? Awesome.

Rapstah

I envy those who can actually play this game. I love the engine and its features and everything about how complex the game is but I can't put in that undivided attention for the time the game requires. There should be a feature where it played itself. I'd have that running 24/7.

Toma

Rapstah said:
I envy those who can actually play this game. I love the engine and its features and everything about how complex the game is but I can't put in that undivided attention for the time the game requires. There should be a feature where it played itself. I'd have that running 24/7.

You might just start with us as well, we'll have lots of newb questions and comments anyway.
And that video above really seems to be a good introduction.

Edit: I will probably double/triple/quadruple post when reporting my progress, but I found it fun to read others progress, so maybe some of you will enjoy it too.

For my game, economy is still on, aquifers are still on, and everything set to normal for the world generation.

Dwarf Fortress diary page 1:

It takes ages to discover a new world.

After seemingly endless hours, our cartographers finally managed to come up with a basic outlook of how our future home might look.

DCy0sl.jpg

Big map.

Before settling down we tried to gather as much information as possible about the world we are going to live in. We managed to find some natives who were quick to learn our language and this are the information that we gathered so far:

The area is called "Cereteathira", which would translate to "The Infinite Plane"
The water body that is prevalent is called "The Ocean of Entrancing", which makes my fellow dwarfs fear that they wont get to see any good entertainment here with such sweet and serene names all around us.

Note to myself: Take one of the natives as a captive and put him in a cage for a casual battling now and then to keep up the spirits.
Second Note to myself: Think of an explanation for the disappearing native before doing so.

The whole area is basically divided into 4 continents:
The big northern isle is called "The Continents of Right", the one to the east is the "Cyclopean Land" and the other big landmass to the south are the "Continents of Sorcery".

After a relatively short time of arguing due to the lack of alcoholic beverages left on the expedition ship, me and my fellow dwarfs decided on paying the cyclops a little visit in hope for a good place to mine, farm and find glory.

Toma

Dwarf Fortress Squashgears - The Contested Towers diary page 2

After a very busy night, drinking some of the rest alcohol, we voted on our fortress and Dwarven group name.

This shall be named Fortress Squashgears, ruled by The Contested Towers:

mq4yIl.jpg

Well.. as soon as we get that fortress up and running. Then we shall rule it. So after a while Fortress Squashgears was on a way to shape up a little.

We found a nice entrance below an overhanging rock. We hoped that it wouldnt crush us when working under it, but went ahead with good faith instead of fear.

UQXvr.png

While we started caving out the entrance, it started raining, so we wanted to get our stuff into our new fortress as fast as possible. Another reason was the pair of Badgers that aggressively kept attacking Melbil, our Planter and Herb gatherer. He needed a safer place to be when those badgers start running wild.

Note to myself: kill those Badgers as soon as the dining hall is finished. For the moment there is more important stuff to do.

RUQRM.jpg

The first layer of our fortress is only reserved for stockpiles for now. I planned a longer entrance that I will fill with traps later, to protect my fellow dwarfs. The rest is designated as a stockpile either for wood, garbage or everything else.

0eUeZ.jpg

And on the second level, there is a planned dining room to the west, and some first workshops to the right. One of them is finally already preparing some tables and thrones, so that no one needs to sit right next to the food reserves while eating. I tend to think they drink more when they are right next to it. Hope it will help us preserving some rations for the moment while we are still getting set up.

Note to myself 2: Dont forget about those badgers.

Edit:

tXRpv.jpg

It seems everyone liked the dining room idea. They threw a spontaneous party to thank me for it. Good that nobody complained about the lack of sleeping quarters yet though. Might need to take care of that as well, rather soon.

Toma

Dwarf Fortress Squashgears - The Contested Towers diary page 3

While preparing the sleeping quarters for the 7 dwarfs currently working here, we were surprised to see a few more dwarfs coming to live in Squashgears.

PiygDl.jpg

Note to myself: Need more living quarters

While arriving we asked for name and profession and this is what we were able to document:
oJ4Xk.jpg

We are still not too sure what to do with a cheesemaker or beekeeper. We might try to speak to them to convince them to do more useful jobs, probably as masons or wood workers foremost. We also might need a fisher and an engineer in the near future.

Also, I had enough of all the stone lying around, I organized a garbage dump, next to the mason, so that I can get rid of all the stone lying around because we seem to lose sight on what important items we actually have in our stockpiles and how much space is left.

Unfortunately, they also carried a lot of important items to the designated dump area... Need to sort that out.

Also we started to work on the sleeping quarters:

GvW9M.jpg

Since we had an influx of new dwarfs, we most importantly need to concentrate on creating a farm. We'll start by digging a big room, flooding it with water that we'll let it drain outside of the fortress afterwards.

w4kwB.jpg

aZx5K.jpg

Only left to hope that we'll be able to get a food industry working before all food reserves have been depleted.

To protect us from native badger hoardes, we also put up a few Cage Traps at the entrance of the fortress.

V1Anu.jpg

Note to myself: If we manage to catch a few animals, we should consider opening up a zoo for some entertainment.

Note to myself 2: Also, what the hell does Meng use a ammunition to hunt? We have dozens of wooden bolts, but he says he cant use them. Investigation needed.

Also its nice to see that Meng is finally taking care of the Giant Badger overpopulation:
gzyU2.png

Splattered Giant Badger Blood everywhere.

Edit: First casualty: Donkey starved to death. We need to hurry.

bengraven

I really really want to get into this. I like the poster above: "time for my yearly attempt to learn how to play DF".

I mean Jesus Fakdjlkareing CHRIST:

"Eyelids clean the eyes so you don't have to soap them off, but if an eyelid is torn off, I think they might soap the eyes"

!!!!!!! I DARE you find a deeper game. I dare you!

Now if only I could get over the tile-based movement.

Toma

bengraven said:
I really really want to get into this. I like the poster above: "time for my yearly attempt to learn how to play DF".

I mean Jesus Fakdjlkareing CHRIST:

!!!!!!! I DARE you find a deeper game. I dare you!

Now if only I could get over the tile-based movement.

Just play while following this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yn1iW1QN7_s

Give it a try. He is really explaining all the most important basics.
Its also what I am doing while playing right now. Never build a pasture or drainage before in this game. Too much stuff that I dont know yet.

bengraven said:
If you have any questions I'll be more than willing to help with text or images even.

Phandy

Oh god. This is like the whole 'Every time someone mentions Deus Ex; someone re-installs it'...
This is making me wanna play again and really try to get into it.

I just wish they would overhaul the interface.
This game could be insanely popular. All they need to do is give it a nice looking tile set, then give it proper mouse movement/selection etc - with a decent simple UI so you can easily navigate through all the menus. It could be SO good.
I mean the learning curve is hard, but the interface just makes it needlessly harder.

Someone, or the developers have to be working on this right?
Dont get me wrong, I loved what I played, it just becomes more obtuse and time consuming than it has to be to play it.

Probably gonna go play it now *sadface and happyface*

There are custom tilesets which are pretty awesome. Mayday's is my favourite, but there's also Ironhand's and Phoebus'.

The UI is the biggest issue to overcome, but once you've got it it's fine. I do wish the devs would work on it because it would become more popular, but I think they want to add significantly more stuff to it beforehand.

Toma

Phandy said:
Oh god. This is like the whole 'Every time someone mentions Deus Ex; someone re-installs it'...
This is making me wanna play again and really try to get into it.

I just wish they would overhaul the interface.
This game could be insanely popular. All they need to do is give it a nice looking tile set, then give it proper mouse movement/selection etc - with a decent simple UI so you can easily navigate through all the menus. It could be SO good.
I mean the learning curve is hard, but the interface just makes it needlessly harder.

Someone, or the developers have to be working on this right?
Dont get me wrong, I loved what I played, it just becomes more obtuse and time consuming than it has to be to play it.

Probably gonna go play it now *sadface and happyface*

I know the basics at least, and there are others to help out. Start with the video mentioned above and ask away. We'll help :)

Oh and the lazy newb pack does most of the work for you with tilesets and configurations:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=59026.0

Phandy

DeathIsTheEnd said:
There are custom tilesets which are pretty awesome. Mayday's is my favourite, but there's also Ironhand's and Phoebus'.

The UI is the biggest issue to overcome, but once you've got it it's fine. I do wish the devs would work on it because it would become more popular, but I think they want to add significantly more stuff to it beforehand.

I have phoebus' tileset and it is good. With the tileset the graphics are fine.
Its just the UI, I just wish It was easier to do things. I spend so much time going; 'OK I need to do this. Now which of all these buttons and menus is it in and how do I get there.'
If they had a UI where you could select things and then appropriate stuff comes up relating to that it would be much better. Like you select a dwarf and then all the options of what to do with him came up.

Toma, Ive got a grasp on a decent set of the basics and have a pretty OK fort up and running. But the last time I played was ages ago, so I've forgotten loads!

Im just one of those people that sees insane potential for something and wants it now!

Phandy said:
I have phoebus' tileset and it is good. With the tileset the graphics are fine.
Its just the UI, I just wish It was easier to do things. I spend so much time going; 'OK I need to do this. Now which of all these buttons and menus is it in and how do I get there.'
If they had a UI where you could select things and then appropriate stuff comes up relating to that it would be much better. Like you select a dwarf and then all the options of what to do with him came up.
Yeah that is a problem. Fortunately I've got a fairly good memory and have played it enough that I know nearly all of the keys.

Toma

Guys if you start new, share your new fortresses with us please. I dont want to be alone in posting my progress :p

Toma

I just tried the 3D visualizer, cute.

My workshop area and the dining room:
KG5X4.jpg

bengraven

The 3D visualizer just takes up one of your three screens right? You can't actually play it in 3D? I wouldn't mind playing it in GBA-like graphics.

One of my issues is that I have a hard time visualizing movement with tiles. The characters are in one tile, then the other, with no movement between. They just disappear and reappear. Even if they "slid" into the other tile it would be different.

I know this is silly, but for some reason my brain can't register it as well. So to me, viewing DF once I start playing, there's just a lot of blinking sprites everywhere.

That's been my biggest obstacle.

Also having 3 hours to learn to play.

Or a printer to print out a wiki.

Toma said:
Guys if you start new, share your new fortresses with us please. I dont want to be alone in posting my progress :p
I haven't played in a few months so thanks to this thread I'm starting a new one tonight. I'll post my progress.

Toma

bengraven said:
The 3D visualizer just takes up one of your three screens right? You can't actually play it in 3D? I wouldn't mind playing it in GBA-like graphics.

One of my issues is that I have a hard time visualizing movement with tiles. The characters are in one tile, then the other, with no movement between. They just disappear and reappear. Even if they "slid" into the other tile it would be different.

I know this is silly, but for some reason my brain can't register it as well. So to me, viewing DF once I start playing, there's just a lot of blinking sprites everywhere.

That's been my biggest obstacle.

Also having 3 hours to learn to play.

Or a printer to print out a wiki.

Believe me, you wouldnt want to print out this wiki. I tried downloading once, and stopped after 3 gigabytes I believe.

But yeah, spending 3 hours to learn the game is necessary. 3 hours isnt actually that long, the video and the newb pack are taking a lot problems away from you.

And you dont necessarily need to concentrate on your dwarfs anyway. I dont watch them move, most of the time. Press pause, give orders to build something, unpause, and pause again as soon as its finished. I dont concentrate on the dwarfs themselves at all.

mokeyjoe

Ha, I got back into this a couple of weeks ago. Just got through the first winter and I've got much better at keeping my Dwarves in food and booze. Now I need to try and work out the military side of things before I start seeing Goblins.

It's a pretty relaxing game to play but lack some direction IMO. I guess that's why it's still in alpha.

Toma

mokeyjoe said:
Ha, I got back into this a couple of weeks ago. Just got through the first winter and I've got much better at keeping my Dwarves in food and booze. Now I need to try and work out the military side of things before I start seeing Goblins.

It's a pretty relaxing game to play but lack some direction IMO. I guess that's why it's still in alpha.

Ah damn it! I forgot making booze so far. Whats the easiest way to get that up and running?

Top Bottom