• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

ss_lemonade

Whut, there's a 4x internal res option now? I doubt I'll see much difference over 3x, but I'll still use it haha. Hopefully my gtx275 will cope

Coldsnap

I think I'm going to buy a wireless motion bar and a wiimote to try the Wiigames in HD. Is the one in the OP still the recommended one to get?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
1Up doesn't get it, like most posters, in relation to what their next system is going to do. The reason Nintendo is not going to use software emulation on Gamecube and Wii games is Compatibility. The bulk of the userbase can't even tell when a game isn't in its native resolution, but the same userbase will be upset if they can't play random Wii game X on their new Wii U system.

Stallion Free said:

EXPOSED

Here's some video I've made a while ago playing Sonic Colors.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eILoQlDK_ZY&feature=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyVLdKnMh2E&feature=relmfu

PC Spec has changed a bit since then. Anyway, this emulator works like a charm. It's such a satisfying experience replaying these games in HD. And I'll be happy too when I'll import my EU copy of Xenoblade.

JJD

Guys anyone running Dolphin on a Mac knows how to configure a PS3 controller?

Or anyone knows how to configure a Sixaxis on dolphin at all? Even on Windows?

I can get my Mac bluetooth to find the controller, and I can even configure the Sixaxis on Dolphin under emulated Wiimote, but it just won't work with Donkey Kong...I got no input...

I was so happy when I finally managed to get the Emulator working, I had to install Homebrew on my console and finally I successfully ripped a game. It brought tears to my eye when I saw everything running at 60 fps...but I just can't play the damn thing... :-(

I don't want to buy all the stuff I need to get the original Wiimote working...

jediyoshi

JJD said:
Or anyone knows how to configure a Sixaxis on dolphin at all? Even on Windows?

Here's your best bet as far as drivers, results are definitely a mixed bag. Best case scenario after it's up and running, your computer and applications look at your sixaxis and see it as a 360 controller. Although if you do have money to throw around, a wired 360 controller is a pretty good investment.

JJD

jediyoshi said:
Here's your best bet as far as drivers, results are definitely a mixed bag. Best case scenario after it's up and running, your computer and applications look at your sixaxis and see it as a 360 controller. Although if you do have money to throw around, a wired 360 controller is a pretty good investment.

I have an wireless one. It's just in my old house, I can't get it now. The setup is the same as the wired one? Thanks!

jediyoshi

JJD said:
I have an wireless one. It's just in my old house, I can't get it now. The setup is the same as the wired one? Thanks!

Well, same difference. All the guides you'll run into will be assuming you're plugging your sixaxis/ds3 with a usb cable into your computer.

daffy

Banned
Anyone know if this is good enough to run Dolphin games in 720p smoothly?

4GB RAM
AMD Phenom X2 N660 Dual Core Processor (3.0 Ghz)
Radeon HD 4250

Thanks if so.

JJD

jediyoshi said:
Well, same difference. All the guides you'll run into will be assuming you're plugging your sixaxis/ds3 with a usb cable into your computer.

Any ideas on why I can't get my keyboard to work? I can configure it, I choose not to use an extension (nunchuck), I click on the "Sideways Wiimote" box, and if I choose "Z" on the keyboard for the button "2" on the Wiimote (the one which would start the game) for example, the respective box for the "2" button will blink a red light showing it's registering the input. When I start the game it even says on the bottom of the screen, right next to the FPS that the Wiimote is connected... :-(

But as soon as I start the game I can't get any input at all...

Anyway, I really appreciate the help! Thanks!

I swear as soon as I can spare a little cash I'll build a PC exclusive to gaming...

jediyoshi

JJD said:
But as soon as I start the game I can't get any input at all...

What version/build are you using? (Help -> About) What game are you trying to run?

Make sure Emulated Wiimote is selected on the first Wiimote Configuration window. Make sure 'DInput/0/Keyboard Mouse' is selected in the device section. One more quick test to make sure if your controls are registering, bind a key to the Home button and then hit that after you load the game to see if it brings up the Home menu.

Thoraxes

I can't test it out now, but can anyone tell me if 3.0 fixes the audio-sync problem in NMH2?

Also, any svn after the release of 3.0 are using 3.0 as a base, right? I wasn't around this scene for the transition between 1.0-2.0, so i'm a bit confused.

StevieP

Banned
FTH said:

4GB RAM
Radeon HD 4250

Thanks if so.

I think the GPU is on the lower-end for any sort of intensive game. But if you have NSMB rip it and try it at 720p.

JJD

jediyoshi said:
What version/build are you using? (Help -> About) What game are you trying to run?

Make sure Emulated Wiimote is selected on the first Wiimote Configuration window. Make sure 'DInput/0/Keyboard Mouse' is selected in the device section. One more quick test to make sure if your controls are registering, bind a key to the Home button and then hit that after you load the game to see if it brings up the Home menu.

I'm using r7679. I've managed to get the keyboard functioning but the funny thing is that I'm running Donkey Kong at 4x the internal resolution with 16xQ CSSA Anti Aliasing, 16x Anisotropic Filtering and the frame rate never falls below 50 FPS, and the game still fells slow. I lowered the internal resolution setting to 3x and the game runs wonderfully fine at 60 FPS...does 5, 6 FPS make such a difference, even when I'm already over 30 FPS?

By the way, even when all the settings were cranked up to the maximum I've never got the game to look as good as some screenshots I've seen here. It's funny...

I think I'll just play Xenoblade on the Wii 480P since I've installed Homebrew on my way to set up Dolphin...at least I will be playing the game!

mushy45

FTH said:

4GB RAM
Radeon HD 4250

Thanks if so.

hav this same setup and it runs slow

Nabs

If you're having trouble with the 360 pad setup, just create your own. It'll take you a minute, and you'll become a better person.

JJD said:
I'm using r7679. I've managed to get the keyboard functioning but the funny thing is that I'm running Donkey Kong at 4x the internal resolution with 16xQ CSSA Anti Aliasing, 16x Anisotropic Filtering and the frame rate never falls below 50 FPS, and the game still fells slow. I lowered the internal resolution setting to 3x and the game runs wonderfully fine at 60 FPS...does 5, 6 FPS make such a difference, even when I'm already over 30 FPS?

By the way, even when all the settings were cranked up to the maximum I've never got the game to look as good as some screenshots I've seen here. It's funny...

I think I'll just play Xenoblade on the Wii 480P since I've installed Homebrew on my way to set up Dolphin...at least I will be playing the game!

It's supposed to run at 60 fps. You'll get slowdown if you let it drop below that.

Nakayubi

Neo Member
Nostalgia~4ever said:
whats your settings?

do people use dx9 or dx11 graphics plugin?

Overall almost default settings I guess. Don't care much for fps. (As far as possible) "Glitchfree" grafics and compatibility are more important to me.

r7669
All unlisted settings (/) are unchecked/deactivated.

<Config>

|General|
[x] Enable Dual Core
/
Framelimit: Auto
/
[x] Lock Threads to Cores
/

<Graphics>

|General|
Backend: Direct3D9
/
Fullscreen resolution: 1680x1050
Aspect Ratio: Auto
[x] V Sync
[x] Use Fullscreen
/

|Enhancements|
Internal Resolution: 3x Native
Anti-Aliasing: None
Anisotropic Filtering: 1x
/

|Hacks|
/
EFB Copies: [x] Virtual [x] RAM
/

Appleman

I've been experimenting with Dolphin for a LONG time, but have still never quite been able to get Metroid Prime running as smoothly as I'd like. (I really want 1080p/60... but would settle for 720p). It always seems to have awful framerate spikes that ruin playability, does anyone have this running smoothly, and could they share their settings?

Just for comparison, I'm running a Q9550 @3.6Ghz, a GTX580, and 4GB DDR2 800.

Thanks, guys.

mxgt

Banned
Is there a profile for setting up the 360 controller to play Wii games anywhere or does it vary from game to game?

This is my metroid prime 3 setup on a 360 controller, sadly the game does not run smooth for me. Goes from 60fps to 5fps when going to morphball

[Profile]
Device = XInput/0/Gamepad
Buttons/A = Trigger R
Buttons/B = Button A
Buttons/1 = Button X
Buttons/2 = Button Y
Buttons/- = Shoulder L
Buttons/+ = Shoulder R
IR/Center = 79,000000
IR/Up = Right Y+
IR/Down = Right Y-
IR/Left = Right X-
IR/Right = Right X+
IR/Forward = Thumb R
IR/Backward = Thumb L
Tilt/Forward = Pad N
Tilt/Backward = Pad S
Tilt/Left = Pad W
Tilt/Right = Pad E
Shake/X = Start
Shake/Y = Start
Shake/Z = Start
Extension = Nunchuk
Nunchuk/Buttons/C = Trigger L
Nunchuk/Buttons/Z = Shoulder L
Nunchuk/Stick/Up = Left Y+
Nunchuk/Stick/Down = Left Y-
Nunchuk/Stick/Left = Left X-
Nunchuk/Stick/Right = Left X+
Nunchuk/Shake/X = Back
Nunchuk/Shake/Y = Back
Nunchuk/Shake/Z = Back
D-Pad/Up = Pad N
D-Pad/Down = Pad S
D-Pad/Left = Pad W
D-Pad/Right = Pad E

Those Metroid Prime 3 screens made me cry a little.

I've got a most recent Macbook Pro (i5, Intel HD 3000) and Metroid Prime 1 doesn't work very well. I'm crushed. But I might try other games later.

Gaogaogao

ok so here is probably the best place to ask, which version of twilight princess performs best emulated, the wii or gamecube version? aside from controls, in which case its obviously easier to control the gc version.

Does anyone know how to perform the Death Blows in No More Heroes when using a 360 pad? For some reason 99/100 times the "swing" commands I've set to the right analogue stick are not recognised.

dolphin2011-07-0422-461uyi.jpg

http://www.abload.de/img/dolphin2011-07-0422-461uyi.jpg

*flatlines*

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Stupacabra said:
Does anyone know how to perform the Death Blows in No More Heroes when using a 360 pad? For some reason 99/100 times the "swing" commands I've set to the right analogue stick are not recognised.
Just use your Wii remote, if I remember right the game doesn't have pointer functions, just slight swings and such, so you don't even have to set up the sensor bar.

jediyoshi

Jacobi said:
shit just got ipad wallpaperd, thanks

Here's the first time I did that image
h4.abload.de/img/untitled-36rs3.jpg

Much better version, Yoshi looks a bit less indifferent

Gaogaogao said:
ok so here is probably the best place to ask, which version of twilight princess performs best emulated, the wii or gamecube version? aside from controls, in which case its obviously easier to control the gc version.

Strictly on performance, probably GC. But Wii is still the better version if only because it's widescreen. If you disable the pointer in the game, you can map the controls so they're basically the same as the GameCube.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Gyoru said:
Uploaded some more Xenoblade videos.
Can you take pics of any nice art in the manual that we haven't seen? Is there any? I asked Nakayubi in the last page but got no reply...

Why did you guys import the Japanese game now/recently when an English (and other) language release is so close anyway?
Coldsnap said:
I think I'm going to buy a wireless motion bar and a wiimote to try the Wiigames in HD. Is the one in the OP still the recommended one to get?
Buy a Wiimote? You don't already have one? How will you rip your Wii games without a Wii (and so its controllers) anyway?
BlackBeetleKing said:
Arc Rise Fantasia pix
Dude, there's a US release, you're playing it in Japanese? How come? Practicing the language?

I've tried getting Dolphin to work quite a bit, but I'm pretty sure my GPU is too weak to get a decent framerate/resolution. If I have:

i7 quad-core @ 2.67 Ghz
6 Gigs DDR3
9500 GT

should I be able to run something like Xenoblade at 720p if I replace my GPU with something much better (and/or overclock my CPU)? I'm ready to import but my SDTV is on its last legs and I'd love to play that game in HD. Thanks!

Seik

Banned
Awesome, one sure thing is that I'll play Xenoblade, The Last Story and Pandora's Tower on Dolphin. I'm running Mario Galaxy 2 all max at 60fps and it looks simply wonderful, I guess (and hope) there will be no problem running Xenoblade and the others. Another thing is to choose to wait for an NA release date.. OR pre-order and import the PAL versions. I DUNNO! D:

Couple of Xenoblade shots..

Dug the game out again.. in anticipation of the Euro release and upon hearing the news that the performance issues were fixed in Dolphin.

Title screen -

OK7HF.jpg

(2560x1440)

In-Game outside of the first town -

XJB6V.jpg

Seems to mostly stay around 30 fps at this resolution.. a few dips here and there.. but pretty solid otherwise.

Nakayubi

Neo Member
@Alextended

Sorry, seem to have overlooked your question.
Unfortunately not, but if you google 'Xenoblade the secret file Monado archives" you'll probably find what you're looking for.

And as for the japanese games; I bought Xenoblade shortly after it was released (about a year ago).

@Seik

If NTSC-US isn't announced by August just get the PAL-EU Release (18.08.2011).

Alextended said:
Just use your Wii remote, if I remember right the game doesn't have pointer functions, just slight swings and such, so you don't even have to set up the sensor bar.

Will do, thanks. I was hoping I'd be able to use a pad, but it's no skin off my back.

Top Bottom