• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

tyler

brochiller said:
Yeah I have a laptop with the i7 720QM and it doesn't too very well with Dolphin. It has a pretty good graphics card too, but games only run smoothly at lower resolutions.

Can't you overclock the 720M to 2.4GHz?

ss_lemonade

AFAIK, wind waker was not 16:9. Are these shots just with the forced widescreen option enabled? Doesn't that cause glitches at the sides?

Roronoa95

Guyz, I just wanna thank you for this thread. Very good presentation with all the information needed, clear and simple. Playing Zelda in 1080p has no price ! keep up the good work !

Theonik

georaldc said:
AFAIK, wind waker was not 16:9. Are these shots just with the forced widescreen option enabled? Doesn't that cause glitches at the sides?
Widescreen hack, yes. It normally breaks some games but for the Wind Waker at least it doesn't cause any significant glitches. I just use 4:3 for Gamecube games typically because it's usually less hassle and i prefer it for these games. Put it on 16:9 just for the purpose of this shot.

Chairhome

georaldc said:
I believe someone made a patch to support 16:9.
Oops, beaten.

dani_dc

Diprosalic said:
i have a GTX460, i5 2500k, 4Gigs of RAM.

can i expect to run any of those games at a good FPS?
Definitively yes, i5 2500K is a great CPU for dolphin. Especially if it's overclocked.

Seik

Banned
Diprosalic said:
i have a GTX460, i5 2500k, 4Gigs of RAM.

can i expect to run any of those games at a good FPS?
I have a 2500K too, overclocked at 4,0Ghz. It's works wonderfully with most games!

I wish it was possible to go online for MH3. I can't play this too long or else it will ruin the Wii version for me. I see details that I didn't even know were there, particularly in the background.

OgEgQ.jpg

Y9w0A.jpg

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
nincompoop said:
WTF are you talking about? Every single detail you see in those screens is being processed by the Wii, you just can't see the details as well on actual hardware due to the low rendering resolution. And that number of pixels wouldn't melt the Wii's GPU, the Wii's pixel fillrate is 948 million pixels per second, which is more than enough to display HD content. (The original Xbox had a similar fillrate and had games which ran at 720p and 1080i.) Its problem is it only has 2MB of VRAM, which is too small to hold a 1280x720 frame buffer.
No, it's not. The jump from 640x480 to 1920x1080 is extremely significant as is the addition of anti-aliasing. The Wii isn't even remotely capable of delivering that. It doesn't have the memory or fillrate for 1080p. The PS3 and 360 are both around 4 billion pixels per second and feature a lot of additional memory yet they both struggle to deliver games at 1080p.

Mario Galaxy does look very nice, but again, it's really just smart art direction. There aren't a lot of complex shaders or texture passes going on, it's all very simple stuff that is just really well designed. Mario Galaxy looks great in the same way that something like Silent Hill 3 still looks great on PS2 (the character models still best many modern games).

Tendo

I'm having some trouble with mario galaxy 2. I have my dsp dumped for full audio but now I get some serious audio skipping and slowdown. I'm using the most recent dolphin revision. 260 gtx and 2500k. Any ideas?

dark10x said:
No, it's not. The jump from 640x480 to 1920x1080 is extremely significant as is the addition of anti-aliasing. The Wii isn't even remotely capable of delivering that. It doesn't have the memory or fillrate for 1080p. The PS3 and 360 are both around 4 billion pixels per second and feature a lot of additional memory yet they both struggle to deliver games at 1080p.

Mario Galaxy does look very nice, but again, it's really just smart art direction. There aren't a lot of complex shaders or texture passes going on, it's all very simple stuff that is just really well designed. Mario Galaxy looks great in the same way that something like Silent Hill 3 still looks great on PS2 (the character models still best many modern games).
1920x1080x60 ~= 120 million pixels per second, which is well below Hollywood's fillrate limit. I'm not claiming that the Wii is capable of rendering a game as complex as Super Mario Galaxy at such a high resolution, only that that number of pixels would not cause the Wii GPU to melt, as the other poster claimed. If the Wii wasn't limited by its tiny frame buffer then there's no reason it wouldn't be able to output an average looking last gen game in 720p or 1080i, as was the case with the original Xbox.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Man does Tri look awful without the bloom or what. Its nice smooth natural environments just turn into a LOOK HOW SHITTY MY TEXTURES REALLY ARE festival. Yuck. Wish they'd fix the bloom on Dolphin so that you can have the high res and also all the clever tricks that hid some flaws on Wii.

Shepard

Man, I was using the latest revision from emucr, getting good but not great speeds than I changed to revision 6515, damn, that's working wonders, stable frame rate in almost all games I have.

StevieP

Banned
Diprosalic said:
what is this "overclocked" you speak off? and how would one "overclock" his CPU?

Most of the newer 1155 motherboards have software or a bios utility that will literally "automatically" overclock it for you. Not the the sapping extreme that doing it yourself would, but the "overclock" buttons on most of the newest modern boards do a great job. My Asus board took my 2500k to 4.5ghz automatically (on the stock air cooler) using the built-in software (or the "overclock" button in the BIOS) and I was only able to take it up to 4.8 stable in the manual enthusiast fashion without investing in another cooler.

dani_dc

Diprosalic said:
what is this "overclocked" you speak off? and how would one "overclock" his CPU?
It's increasing the clock rate of a compoment (in this case the CPU) to get higher perfomance.

StevieP already pointed to the easiest way to overclock it, but if you're curious about it or decide to overclock I recommend you give a look to the PC thread.

It is however not necessary to overclock it, the i5-2500k should run most games pretty well even without overclocking.

legend166

Hey guys, I was going to come in here to ask how the new PC I'm going to build would run Dolphin, but I see everyone is already saying the 2500k is great, so that's good news. This is what I'll be using:

Sapphire HD6970 2GB GDDR5 256Bit GDDR5 PCIE 2*DVI HDMI 2*MiniDSP DX11
Intel CORE i5 2500K/3.30GHz/6MB CACHE/LGA1155
G.SKILL Ripjaws-X 8GB (4GB x 2) PC3 12800 (DDR3-1600)

Should be good to go, right?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
nincompoop said:
1920x1080x60 ~= 120 million pixels per second, which is well below Hollywood's fillrate limit. I'm not claiming that the Wii is capable of rendering a game as complex as Super Mario Galaxy at such a high resolution, only that that number of pixels would not cause the Wii GPU to melt, as the other poster claimed. If the Wii wasn't limited by its tiny frame buffer then there's no reason it wouldn't be able to output an average looking last gen game in 720p or 1080i, as was the case with the original Xbox.
I agree that it could easily handle what the XBOX produced in 720p or 1080i, but that wasn't the point. The Wii hardware, as it stands, could not deliver any of this.

I have been wanting to post these for a while, since i got my Dolphin working correctly thanks to you guys, these are taking using Eyefinity resolution with the widescreen hack @ 5760 * 1200.

4691623005_b9f851a04d_6tmw.jpg

dark10x said:
I agree that it could easily handle what the XBOX produced in 720p or 1080i, but that wasn't the point. The Wii hardware, as it stands, could not deliver any of this.
I never said it could, I was only clarifying for people who seem to be under the impression that being in HD magically adds detail that wasn't already being processed by the Wii in the first place. There's a reason that games on PCSX2, NullDC etc don't look nearly as good running in HD resolutions as Mario Galaxy.

Chuckpebble

I have a request from some screen shots of some end game content from a few games. I'll spoiler tag the exact items, but basically, I find myself wanting to view these things up close because the detail seems to be there.

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
the dioramas that are unlocked

No More Heroes 2 - this one is quite infuriating
basically, there's a shelf in Travis' room that fills up with little souvenirs from each assassin that you kill. There's no way to view them at all, except from afar with the fixed camera, and up close very briefly while the camera moves into position for selecting clothing items.

Donkey Kong Country Returns
Dioramas again. These ones can actually be viewed much closer than the ones in Prime 3, but still, I think they look nice and high res images, blah blah blah.

Nabs

legend166 said:
Hey guys, I was going to come in here to ask how the new PC I'm going to build would run Dolphin, but I see everyone is already saying the 2500k is great, so that's good news. This is what I'll be using:

Sapphire HD6970 2GB GDDR5 256Bit GDDR5 PCIE 2*DVI HDMI 2*MiniDSP DX11
Intel CORE i5 2500K/3.30GHz/6MB CACHE/LGA1155
G.SKILL Ripjaws-X 8GB (4GB x 2) PC3 12800 (DDR3-1600)

Should be good to go, right?

Yeah. I'm pretty sure an OC'd 2500k can run SMG 1/2 at full speed with the LLE plugin for maximum audio sex.

Any glitches with Soul Calibur 2? I can pick it up around the corner for $5, and I have access to a modded Wii.

Nabs said:
Yeah. I'm pretty sure an OC'd 2500k can run SMG 1/2 at full speed with the LLE plugin for maximum audio sex.
Yup, should be able to. My overclocked i3 540 does 50-60 on SMG2 with LLE.

MNC

Playing Metroid Prime at (nearly) full speed with MotionInJoy DualShock 3 controller @ full resolution FUCK YEAH. Man this really is awesome.

jediyoshi

nincompoop said:
STOP RAPING MY EYES WITH UR STRETCHED GRAPHICS

Go to graphics configuration, find the option for widescreen hack, enable it!

The real kicker is that SC2 has native 16:9 support in the options and, either way, the images are being stretched to 16:10.

Roarer

Stallion Free said:
Clearly he doesn't give a fuck.

<Avatar quote> Or something's wrong with his eye sight. Posting the name of the game wouldn't hurt either.

Anyway, been messing around with Dolphin a bit. I know it's been asked before, but I haven't gotten a straight answer yet. Is there a way to get proper sound and no slow downs in Super Mario Galaxy 2? I've seen mentions of LLE, is that an extra plugin?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Roarer said:
<Avatar quote> Or something's wrong with his eye sight. Posting the name of the game wouldn't hurt either.

Anyway, been messing around with Dolphin a bit. I know it's been asked before, but I haven't gotten a straight answer yet. Is there a way to get proper sound and no slow downs in Super Mario Galaxy 2? I've seen mentions of LLE, is that an extra plugin?
LLE is a drop down option in the aduio settings and wants a pretty hefty processor.

I too have absolutely no idea what game that is either.

Beats

Fragile Dreams: Farewell Ruins of the Moon

Game seems to run perfectly so far. I just had to set the External Frame Buffer to Virtual to get rid of the flickering.

Nabs

Roarer said:

From the Dolphin FAQ:

Q: LLE plugin says it fails to load "dsp_rom.bin" and "dsp_coef.bin"
A: You need these 2 files in order to use LLE. They are copyrighted, so they are not included in the dolphin source or builds, sorry.

Those two can be ripped from your Wii if you're interested. I can't seem to find the tutorial I followed.

Sanjay

zephervack said:
I have been wanting to post these for a while, since i got my Dolphin working correctly thanks to you guys, these are taking using Eyefinity resolution with the widescreen hack @ 5760 * 1200.

I hate you :(

Monster Hunter Tri
Which Dolphin version are you using? I can't emulate my copy properly on the latest version (a month or so ago). It hangs up if I set English, and works fine otherwise but the bloom is all messed up. Some older version fixed the bloom but it runs extremely slow.

Here's an example of the bloom problem although this was back with the demo I have:
Sf6gG.jpg

Seik

Banned
I just managed to get my wiimote to work with my pc, gotta say its really awesome. Mario Galaxy is stunning and full speed. But I have a problem, I searched a bit about it but found nothing that worked.
-After 3-5 minutes there is no background music, well I can live with it but the soundtrack is so great, I'd like to make it work.

I tried many things to make Sin & Punishment 2 work properly but I never succeeded. Most cutscene runs at 30FPS (and the voices sounds normal, so big lipsync fail) when they're suposed to run at 60 and the game overall is lagging. Sad for this one, since I was so hyped to play it in HD with a wiimote for a full WiiHD experience. :D

My specs:
ASUS P8P67
Intel I5 2500k OC 4Ghz
Geforce GTX 460SE
4Go DDR3 RAM

Sure I could play those one on my Wii, but I already did, a lot of times actually. Dolphin give those games a brand new life imo. The results are so beautiful, its astonishing. I'm only having problems with these two and Tales of Symphonia (with the music too) but I know this one has no real solution. Anyway, I'm really satisfied with Dolphin so far, it can only get better with time. :)

Nabs

S&P shouldn't be a problem, but I haven't tested it with the latest build. I wonder if anyone else has it so they can try it out.

As for the SMG music problem, I think that's fixed by using the LLE plugin. It requires the use of two files from your Wii/GC ("dsp_rom.bin" and "dsp_coef.bin"), but I can't help you with that. It was some weird process that I can't remember.

ss_lemonade

Seik said:
I just managed to get my wiimote to work with my pc, gotta say its really awesome. Mario Galaxy is stunning and full speed. But I have a problem, I searched a bit about it but found nothing that worked.
-After 3-5 minutes there is no background music, well I can live with it but the soundtrack is so great, I'd like to make it work.

I tried many things to make Sin & Punishment 2 work properly but I never succeeded. Most cutscene runs at 30FPS (and the voices sounds normal, so big lipsync fail) when they're suposed to run at 60 and the game overall is lagging. Sad for this one, since I was so hyped to play it in HD with a wiimote for a full WiiHD experience. :D

My specs:
ASUS P8P67
Intel I5 2500k OC 4Ghz
Geforce GTX 460SE
4Go DDR3 RAM

Sure I could play those one on my Wii, but I already did, a lot of times actually. Dolphin give those games a brand new life imo. The results are so beautiful, its astonishing. I'm only having problems with these two and Tales of Symphonia (with the music too) but I know this one has no real solution. Anyway, I'm really satisfied with Dolphin so far, it can only get better with time. :)
Use LLE to fix the music problem in Mario Galaxy. It hurts performance but you should still be good to go with your rig. As for Sin & Punishment 2, if you're using the latest dolphin build, uncheck ram under Hacks - EFB in Graphics Properties (if anyone knows how to do this per game, it would be really grateful). Should give you full speed emulation, but a small portion at the upper left of your screen may be bugged. Don't know if this has been fixed already or not

LLE might also fix your tales of symphonia issue, but I'm not sure.

Top Bottom