• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2011 - September 23rd release

Lucius86 said:
Codemasters make the rules for F1 - not the FIA. Duh.....
Well, that's what I'm asking. Does the FIA even know where all future DRS zones are? Will they guess then patch in the correct zones?

f0rk

Gonna have to get switch to triggers for accel/brake, don't think I could use DRS and KERS with the right stick.

SunhiLegend said:
Does anyone know why they don't use the official HUD of Formula 1 from LG?. Never understood why they would want to use there own HUD instead of the one we see on TV. The first thing I do when I mod rfactor to the latest F1 season is install the F1 TV MOD.

They want a distinction between 'being an F1 driver' and watching one on TV.

I don't buy that. A HUD that isn't the cockpit view by very definition will ruin that.

It's a good question about the DRS zone for tracks that haven't been yet. They get decided very close to the races, sometimes.

Orgun

Foliorum Viridum said:
I don't buy that. A HUD that isn't the cockpit view by very definition will ruin that.

It's a good question about the DRS zone for tracks that haven't been yet. They get decided very close to the races, sometimes.
FOM probably wanted a ridiculous amount of money to allow them to use it. Cheaper to just make your own

no demo this year.

they didn't wheel out the bullshit licensing excuse this year though, this time they're too busy.

Codemasters has confirmed that there are no plans to release a demo of the upcoming title. Like with prior titles such as F1 2010 and DiRT 3 who did not get a demo-treatment either, Codemasters blame a packed development schedule for the missing time to create a trial version.

That only really sucks because I don't know if I want the PS3 version or PC version. You guys all play on the PC version and that'd be the reason I get it for PC, but the PS3 is so effortless to boot up and just race and it doesn't heat up my whole living room like the PC does.

Is the PC version going to be a Steam release again? And are they going to have that silly YouTube upload stuff like DiRT 3 has?

if 2011 is a refined 2010 then we don't really need a demo, same with dirt 3 it was a more refined dirt 2, just that some dlc choices and lacking rally spoiled the game a fair bit.

doubt we will see cars as dlc in this game :p unless it's classic dlc or something.

Foliorum Viridum said:
If you can get run it well on PC it seems stupid not to go with that version. DX11, 60fps, mods...
2010 runs like a dead dog, hope they can improve it to run as well as dirt 2/3 do on pc

Can't say I have had any problems running 2010 with everything maxed @ 2048x1152. Solid 60, for the most part. Dips to 40s sometimes online, but even that's better than consoles, especially with the DX11 bells and whistles. It seems very well optimised.

(Quad core 4ghz, 6950 2gb, 8gb RAM)

Foliorum Viridum said:
Can't say I have had any problems running 2010 with everything maxed @ 2048x1152. Solid 60, for the most part. Dips to 40s sometimes online, but even that's better than consoles, especially with the DX11 bells and whistles. It seems very well optimised.

(Quad core 4ghz, 6950 2gb, 8gb RAM)
well yeah that is a rather beefy machine, more moderate ones get frame dips in areas :p c2d 2.8 and gtx260 which still runs most games perfectly fine.

2011 should be a lot better if they take some notes from the dirt series this time.

I got similar results before I overclocked from 3.2ghz, had a 5850 and 4gb RAM, too.

But yeah, I can't really speak for the low end, these days. My opinion may be different if the game came out before I upgraded to a 5850 from my 3650 :p

amar212 said:
Besides usual Time Trial, innovation is Time Attack mode, with *scenarios* in which (5 basic ones are available, more probably to come) you have to fulfill some *task*. In available scenarios you have to tackle certain course with predetermined car and in predetermined condition (light rain, dry weather, heavy rain, etc.). There are gold/silver/bronze challenges - along the lines of Licenses in GT series - and Leadeboards will also be supported here. Since you can adjust all driving aids in those scenarios, I hope that Leaderboards will be divided to assisted/non-assisted. I really love the challenge of Time Attach mode - running one of the tracks on rain and compensating for 0.500 through every next lap in order to catch the ghost - was a beautiful experience and great way to learn basics of the new physics, especially in wet conditions. I feel that in final game Proving Grounds/Time Attack mode will be something I will tackle in deep, before even starting Career.

This sounds great. PGR2 also had this (events with fixed cars in fixed conditions), and these were my favorites.

Orgun

2i0yqg4.jpg

Is it September yet?

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
As usual you bring the goods my friend. Those F1 2011 impressions were so good, I'm considering giving you my ECCI 7000 FFB wheel :D :D :D :D

fresquito

Thanks for the in depth impressions. My only doubt remaining is about AI times. Are you really racing the AI or it's just make believe?

NHale

Thanks for the impressions amar. Waiting for the game to launch got even tougher.

However I'm still worried about the AI behaviour. Let's hope they change it in the final code, because from what I've seen the AI continues to approach some corners very slowly like in F1 2010.

Director Mode sounds awesome and seems to solve all my problems with being able to know exactly what's happening on the track and being able to have a tactical approach during the race. Unfortunately it requires to pause the race, but it's better than nothing (and online it's not going to work ofc)

Xun

I don't want to start a console war, but with F1 2010 which version was superior? I'm not a PC gamer.

It'll give me a good idea as to what I'm going to buy 2011 on.

NHale

I played both and they looked identical to me (visually and performance).

If you want an "expert" opinion, Digital Foundry said that the PS3 version had better framerate and less screen tearing but the X360 looked better.

Lach

jamespurdy: Will F1 2011 include safety cars?

I’m never asked this question! What I can tell you is that it will never include a number of Safety Cars.

What does this even mean?

mclaren777

Codemasters to release free online F1 game in 2012

Codemasters will launch a new, free online F1 game in the first quarter of next year.

F1 Online: The Game will allow players to both manage a team and drive the cars in a season of F1.

The full 2011 season including all the drivers, teams and cars will be recreated. They will be able to create their own team, design its livery, and manage the commercial, research, production and race crew side of the team.

The game will use Codemasters' Unity game engine and be available for PC and Mac formats.

David Solari, the vice-president of Codemasters Online, said: "Formula 1 is a proven major games brand that resonates with players on a global level and is recognised as one the biggest sports licenses in videogames.

"As the worldwide gaming market evolves, 2012 is the perfect time to extend this series to the free-to-play market.

"Building on the commercial and critical success of our high-definition Formula 1 games, this is an exciting opportunity to bring our passion for the sport and our expertise in racing to a new audience.

"With a bespoke design for accessible browser play, F1 Online: The Game is a perfect complimentary experience to the HD series and will appeal to a broad spectrum of Formula 1's millions of fans worldwide."

Source

lR0Ac.jpg

WFZUF.jpg

a7lQf.jpg

bWUxW.jpg

Xun

mclaren777 said:
Codemasters to release free online F1 game in 2012
Sounds good.

I just wish a Mac version of 2011 was coming out.

And no I'm not bothering with downloading Windows solely to play the game.

Those sky shots of 2012 don't look too hot but then I would think the same for the current game, you need to be racing level to see the details since you race at that angle 99% of the time.

Interesting move, hope they don't go stupid wazoo with it and completely kill their efforts because of bad transactions.

Diablohead said:
Those sky shots of 2012 don't look too hot but then I would think the same for the current game, you need to be racing level to see the details since you race at that angle 99% of the time.

That's the free online game.

Top Bottom