• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2011 - September 23rd release

Orgun

Update: 17/08/2011

Safety car confirmed

10d131be.jpg

Helios_CM said:
Here's some details about the safety car feature in the game for you:

- Yes you have control behind the SC but there'll be some restrictions. More details once everything is concrete.

- Safety Car is available in races 20% or over

- Can be turned off if you don't want it.

- No you cannot drive it

- It is available online

- You keep the same camera when the SC is out.

Dev Diary 2

iciEVBD5J.gif

Original Post

I saw this posted in the Forza 4 thread and thought it deserved its own thread.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/43637/Next-F1-ready-for-September

Racing sequel hitting retail shelves on September 23rd
F1 2011 will drive into retailers on Friday, September 23rd, Codemasters has confirmed....

This will be a day one purchase for me, seeing as I put over 170 hours into F1 2010 :D

F1 2011 Dev call for questions : win a chance to go to the studio in Birmingham.

Full Press Release
F1 2011, the sequel to the fastest-selling FORMULA ONE game ever released, will race into stores on September 23rd, 2011, Codemasters® announced today. Now available for pre-order, F1 2011, the follow up to the BAFTA award winning F1 2010™, is in development at Codemasters Birmingham for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft®, PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system and PC Games For Windows®.

Bespoke handheld editions of F1 2011 are also in production for Nintendo 3DS™ and Sony’s next generation portable entertainment system (NGP), each designed to take advantage of the new platforms’ unique capabilities; specific release dates for the handheld editions are to be announced.

In F1 2011 players will be challenged to ‘Be the driver, live the life, go compete’, with wide-ranging technical and gameplay advancements on and off track and vastly extended competitive and co-operative multiplayer components. F1 2011 will feature all of the official teams, drivers and circuits from the highly anticipated 2011 FIA FORMULA ONE WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP, including the current FIA FORMULA ONE DRIVERS’ WORLD CHAMPION Sebastian Vettel. The 2011 season also sees the debut of the 2011 FORMULA 1 GRAND PRIX OF INDIA at Delhi’s Jaypee International Race Circuit and the return of the iconic Nürburgring to the calendar.

GAMERS INVITED TO ASK THE TEAM ANYTHING & BE THE FIRST TO PLAY F1 2011.
To mark the announcement, Codemasters is offering gamers the chance to be amongst the first in the world to play F1 2011 ahead of its release and star in future Development Diary videos. To enter the competition, fans are invited to ask a question about the game on a video uploaded to YouTube.

The most interesting and creative video entries, featuring the best questions as judged by the development team, will be invited to Codemasters Birmingham to go hands on with the game, meet the team and ask their questions face-to-face in May. The day will be filmed and released as first look video. Winners unable to attend will also have the chance to be featured in forthcoming F1 2011 trailers via pre-recorded questions played out to the development team. For full terms and conditions and how to enter, head to facebook.com/formula1game.

In production at Codemasters Studios Birmingham, F1 2011 is being developed using the EGO Game Technology Platform, Codemasters’ proprietary tech that powered the critically acclaimed, 2 million-plus selling F1 2010™, GRID and currently driving DiRT 3.

F1 2011 will be released September 23rd 2011 for Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and Games for Windows with handheld editions to follow. To get all the news straight from the studio and to win the chance to play F1 2011 ahead of its release, race over to facebook.com/formula1game or follow the team on twitter at twitter.com/formula1game.

bolding is my own

Orgun

shagg_187 said:
Modders can't mod PS3! :mad:

I wanna drive it in a comfy couch! :mad: :mad:

Hnnngh, NO I won't start another "PC + comfy couch vs Console vs comfy counch argument" :D

I modded the shit out of F1 2010, made it an amazing game to play. Loved playing it with some of the really old liveries and the updated 2011 liveries. I REALLY hope someone releases a freelook mod for 2011 within the first week, don't know if I can play it without one anymore

shagg_187 said:
Hopefully it's piss-filter-free. Seriously, that is my only complain. Remove the piss filter and you got yourself a goddamn deal!
I hate half the tracks in 2010 because of the washed out pissy looking visuals, game looks 300% better in the rain where it's more colourful!

Reason for buying 2010 on 360 was because I had no idea what I was going into, for 2011 i'll grab the pc version now that I have experienced 2010 for what it is (and to sell it once complete)

olimpia84

I had a lot of fun with F1 2010. They need to adjust a few things regarding the AI and add stuff to the HUD (like time difference between the driver in the front/back of you and official licensed themes)

Come on then, wishlists since first details come out this weekend.

- 24 player online.
- Better pitlane experiences. Less of an on-rails feeling, more intereaction. NOT a QTE though!
- Better UI - I want the options of having detailed split times, not the silly system they have now. Give me the option of having the top 12 cars or something, not the top 5.
- Improved penalties. It's bullshit that sometimes you get a penalty for being tapped by another player, etc etc.
- Safety car. It will never happen, but it would be really cool if it did. A really dynamic way of backing up the pack (sometimes online we make our own safety car to make the races more interesting)
- Perhaps slightly more sim. Not too much, but it's easy to prevent a spin etc just by tapping the brakes.
- Ditch the "be the driver" bollocks. Who enjoys speaking to an agent or doing interviews.
- Replays of entire races, online and off. We have a fairly cool Youtube channel of FRAPS movies, but it should be easier and with cool camera angles.

I like the be the driver stuff, it needs to be better fleshed out imo, after race interview is always cool and changes how your team upgrades the car as you go along.

ksan

Split screen and I'll most definitely buy it, otherwise no.

2010 didn't have split screen right?

Orgun

Foliorum Viridum said:

- 24 player online.
- Better pitlane experiences. Less of an on-rails feeling, more intereaction. NOT a QTE though!
- Better UI - I want the options of having detailed split times, not the silly system they have now. Give me the option of having the top 12 cars or something, not the top 5.
- Improved penalties. It's bullshit that sometimes you get a penalty for being tapped by another player, etc etc.
- Safety car. It will never happen, but it would be really cool if it did. A really dynamic way of backing up the pack (sometimes online we make our own safety car to make the races more interesting)
- Perhaps slightly more sim. Not too much, but it's easy to prevent a spin etc just by tapping the brakes.
- Ditch the "be the driver" bollocks. Who enjoys speaking to an agent or doing interviews.
- Replays of entire races, online and off. We have a fairly cool Youtube channel of FRAPS movies, but it should be easier and with cool camera angles.

I know ONE thing that you want fixed...Force India pit bug :p

For me I just want a more detailed and involving online experience, being able to organise leagues and schedule games etc. Deeper level system would be nice too, it's really silly but I like being able to see how much experience i'm earning and what for.

Going to be killed for this but..."upgrades" in the online section, ala Crysis 2, COD etc. There would obviously have to be an option for the room host to allow/disallow these though imo :D

edit: Oh god I just thought, if there are going to be 3 - 4 pits per lap then I hope to god they have the pit bugs sorted!

Foliorum Viridum said:
Nah, done with that now. I got a decent response so I'm leaving it. I'm satisfied it won't be in 2011.
I bet you the AI cars can still turn on a dime at 200kph like in 2010, however.

Monaco first corner, look behind you after starting a race, lol dat turning angle

Diablohead said:
I bet you the AI cars can still turn on a dime at 200kph like in 2010, however.

Monaco first corner, look behind you after starting a race, lol dat turning angle
As long as I can race a Force India without pitting for a minute I'll be okay!

Codemasters are odd devs. They make some really good games with some really stupid elements.

Lucius86

Banned
Where can we post questions to the devs? As I am gaf-champ, I deserve to go to their studios in Birmingham as I am so awesome.

NHale

Foliorum Viridum said:

- 24 player online.

My list would be this plus mechanical failures and better AI.

Dibbz

All I want is:

Good force feedback (why the fuck was this ruined with a patch??)
Rain that actually feels like rain
Better time details
Safety Car
Realistic damage option where contact with other cars could end your race
No gordie engineer

Lucius86

Banned
My inclusion would be for better multiplayer modes. Right now, it is impossible to set custom grid positions, re-load a saved championship, and spectate other races when you are out of the race.

I too also want to see mechanical failures introduced (obviously a feature that can be turned on and off, both online and offline). It should also be implemented in all sessions, not just for the races. And repairs need to take time - so, if you have an oil leak, it will take the team 30 mins to fix it. Right now, repair times in practice/quali sessions are like 3-4 minutes, when really it should be a lot higher (unless you destroy your car).

Damp conditions need to be harder. Better pit engineer options and the inclusion of my name in the race driver names would be nice.

Also, saving a car by tapping the brakes in a spin is rubbish. Else the current driving model is damn near perfect in the amount of fun and skill required.

Oh, and get rid of save games being corrupted :p

So when Codemasters said they were going to announce details this weekend it was just this, a date for September?

Brilliant start.

After watching the first race I've decided I don't want KERS/Rear wing in the game, though. Seems like it would be annoying.

Ark

-24 players online
-Two cars from each team on the grid at the same time
-Team mates (see above)
-Fix the fucking physics, spinning because I got the lightest of taps? No thanks.
-Let me use the DRS & KERS by myself (they better do)
-Safety car
-Stop the slicks from working in the wet
-Make the intermediates useable, usually it's rain tyres or spin haven
-GET RID OF THE PISS FILTER
-Some of the tracks are actually wrong in places, i.e. curb positioning
-Fix the stupid FPS bugs
-Fix the pitlane shenanigans, how hard can it be to get this right?

And I'm happy...I'll be buying it either way!

Foliorum Viridum said:
So when Codemasters said they were going to announce details this weekend it was just this, a date for September?

Brilliant start.

After watching the first race I've decided I don't want KERS/Rear wing in the game, though. Seems like it would be annoying.

You could always pull a driver strike in the name of safety, because pushing two buttons is too hard ;).

Would be nice if they could add some sort of more competitive element, after winning the last F1 2010 online championship I did...I want more :(.

Fixed1979

Foliorum Viridum said:

Maybe the cover?
rCV3ql.jpg

I guess that confirms it's using GFWL again :(.

Ark said:
You could always pull a driver strike in the name of safety, because pushing two buttons is too hard ;).

Would be nice if they could add some sort of more competitive element, after winning the last F1 2010 online championship I did...I want more :(.
It's not "hard" I just don't see it as being fun. The thing I love about F1 2010 is chasing somebody, waiting for them to make a mistake, getting that perfect lap, etc etc. Hitting a button to get a boost when I'm behind them on x part of the track just isn't something that appeals to me (in real F1 either).

KERS would probably make it seem less sim-y, as I equate the act of boosting to arcade racers. Ironic due to the fact it would be in fact more realistic to the current way of driving F1 cars? Yep, but that's how I feel. I guess I'm just a bit of a traditionalist and enjoy pure racing. I was happy F1 2010 didn't feature the f-duct, for example.

I'm sure they will be in the game and we'll have to see how it plays, though. I'm not saying I will hate, I just think I will.

Fixed1979 said:
Maybe the cover?

I guess that confirms it's using GFWL again :(.

Yeah but I was hoping for actual gameplay details. :(

I actually like GFWL, as unpopular of an opinion that is! It worked well for F1 2010, and the only better alternative would be Steamworks.

Fixed1979

I don't mind hitting buttons although it would definitely be a distraction. All I ask is that they allow full customization of the control scheme. I was disappointed that I couldn't make changes in 2010. I have buttons on my wheel, why do I have to reach down to my gear shift to look behind me.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
For F1 2011 I want proper online championship support, proper KERS/DRS support (Sorry FV) and the driving model tweaked so that if you're going to spin, you spin, rather than being able to brake to save it.

F1 2010 was actually better than I expected, especially when you get rid of the AI and play online, so as long as Codemasters actually look at what the community has told them, which means not just trying to make something of the "be the driver" rubbish the media want them to do, they'll be in good stead.

Oh, and use the FOM UI for the sake of all that is holy. That RPM/Gear/KERS etc monitor used on TV this year is so damn awesome.

Wishlist:

- KERS/DFS support (this doesn't meant a NFS style boost button)
- Official FOM graphics
- No more 'Be the driver' filler
- Warm up lap(it would be a nice idea if warming the tyres during the warm up lap was a mini game)
- Make the 3rd person camera less shaky, I'm not sure how big of a problem it was with anyone else but it gave me headaches.
- Safety car
- Fully customisable helmets.

My wishlist would include:

Less yellow
More "be the driver" stuff :)
24 players online if bernie allows it now
super realistic damage settings so you can total by spinning out and hitting the wall or being shunted and lose a wheel
better rain, the dry line doesn't do much at all.

mclaren777 said:
I really hope they make the trophies in 2011 easier to get. Perhaps then I might buy it.
the hard ones are mostly grinds such as 7 seasons, win 3, 40 pole starts ect. I like it as it keeps me playing with goals in mind. Basically I have already finished playing a season and in older f1 games I use to then only play it in multi or some spot races now and again, this time i'm replaying the season on a harder setting.

Ark

Foliorum Viridum said:
It's not "hard" I just don't see it as being fun. The thing I love about F1 2010 is chasing somebody, waiting for them to make a mistake, getting that perfect lap, etc etc. Hitting a button to get a boost when I'm behind them on x part of the track just isn't something that appeals to me (in real F1 either).

It's a sad tragedy that most of the overtaking in F1 2010 is done by waiting for a mistake to happen. Many times I've been closing in on the guy in front of me, looking so much forward to the overtake, when he goes off at turn 14 and I cruise by and get a 5 second lead..

It feels hollow in a way. Sure you've proved you're the better driver by being fast & not making a mistake, but it takes away the racing element.

I find that the other drivers online give no two shits about rubbing you off the track to gain a spot, unlike real F1 where both cars go under risk I end up with people breaking late and beating me due to using me as a wall, and not getting a 10 second penalty due to it...

Massa

Ark said:
It's a sad tragedy that most of the overtaking in F1 2010 is done by waiting for a mistake to happen. Many times I've been closing in on the guy in front of me, looking so much forward to the overtake, when he goes off at turn 14 and I cruise by and get a 5 second lead..

It feels hollow in a way. Sure you've proved you're the better driver by being fast & not making a mistake, but it takes away the racing element.

Well, it was probably you being behind the guy that made him make a mistake in the first place.

And yeah, I've never played a racing video game that even comes close to approaching real life racing. That's why people love PC sims, I bet you can find that kind of action there.

Orgun

Diablohead said:
I find that the other drivers online give no two shits about rubbing you off the track to gain a spot, unlike real F1 where both cars go under risk I end up with people breaking late and beating me due to using me as a wall, and not getting a 10 second penalty due to it...
Play with 100% damage, tyre and fuel sim, that certainly stopped those kinds of antics in our online games.

I keep forgetting that 2010 had the piss filter, god bless modders :) I installed a Truelight mod before I'd even loaded a race hehe

Ark said:

Wellll it's not really like that when we play in our GAF group. It's usually very close and when a mistake is made it's because we've been so tight and the pressure has got to them.

For example, Lucius86 and I have some TREMENDOUS races. He's much faster than me, but when I'm ahead of him I defend like a beast. With KERS/rear wing, he'd probably be able to take me easily, whereas in F1 2010 we have 10 or so laps of utterly brilliant racing that culminates in a great overtake, or an epic wipeout/crash. I could still defend hard, but if he has a 12mph boost or whatever it was I wouldn't really stand much of a chance. I know it works both ways for when I was stuck behind someone/I catch back up to them, but I dunno, that seems artificial to me.

I feel like us in the GAF league have experienced a class of racing that most F1 2010 racers haven't. Not because we're all so Godly, but because we've got a great little group who knows how to race with each other. Some of our league races have felt like real ones, this one especially.

So yeah, because my experience of F1 2010 was so "pure" and like real racing, that's why I don't want the new stuff to be added, really.

Orgun

Foliorum Viridum said:
Wellll it's not really like that when we play in our GAF group. It's usually very close and when a mistake is made it's because we've been so tight and the pressure has got to them.

For example, Lucius86 and I have some TREMENDOUS races. He's much faster than me, but when I'm ahead of him I defend like a beast. With KERS/rear wing, he'd probably be able to take me easily, whereas in F1 2010 we have 10 or so laps of utterly brilliant racing that culminates in a great overtake, or an epic wipeout/crash. I could still defend hard, but if he has a 12mph boost or whatever it was I wouldn't really stand much of a chance. I know it works both ways for when I was stuck behind someone/I catch back up to them, but I dunno, that seems artificial to me.

I feel like us in the GAF league have experienced a class of racing that most F1 2010 racers haven't. Not because we're all so Godly, but because we've got a great little group who knows how to race with each other. Some of our league races have felt like real ones, this one especially.

So yeah, because my experience of F1 2010 was so "pure" and like real racing, that's why I don't want the new stuff to be added, really.

I hope we can get the league running again for 2011, I miss it. God watching that video has made me want to race again

I bought the current game in the recent steam sale there is something I cant stand, the stupid car antenna is blocking a critical spot. In real life pilots have 2 eyes and full 3D vision so the antenna does not really block any view, in the game it is a pain.

I hope they fix that and make the antenna translucid/optional next time.

elfinke

I loved the hell out of 2010 on PS3, but regretted not grabbing it for PC all the time.

Am looking at picking up a gaming laptop soon enough, and F1 2011 will be a PC purchase for sure.

/edit: That YT replay above is fantastic, and the main reason why I regret picking up 2010 on PS3 :D

dk_

Pizza Luigi said:
Safety Car + Warm Up Lap + FOM UI and I will buy the fuck out of this shit.

Wait, I'll do that anyway.
I'm waiting forever for this stuff. I wonder why no dev implements it...

legend166

You think it'd be a better idea to wait 6 months and release it at the beginning of the 2012 season instead of the end of the 2011 season, no?

Top Bottom