• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2011 - September 23rd release

f0rk

Foliorum Viridum said:
We're mostly Brits, so the evening :)

We're racing RIGHT NOW - I'm typing this from the Steam browser, haha.

There's a Steam sale coming up right? If it's less than £10 might pick it up.

Angst

Foliorum Viridum said:
We're mostly Brits, so the evening :)

We're racing RIGHT NOW - I'm typing this from the Steam browser, haha.
Crumb is down under though? I'm in Euroland as well, so that sounds good. Perhaps US gaf isn't into F1 to the same degree as us in Europe?

mclaren777

More

Yeah. Last year we took the AI behaviours from DIRT and from GRID. In slower series it works pretty well because the drivers are just making a key decision at any point in time. In F1 it doesn't work as there is so much going on around you and because you are going so fast and things change so often. Now we've almost got an AI driver with 6 brains. One's just looking at deploying KERS or DRS, the other one is thinking about overtaking, one about slipstreaming and one's thinking about blocking the guy behind. All of that ties into so the driver knows where the best place is to position his car on the track.

We had driver personalities last year but we've moved on so drivers like Hamilton and Alonso look for smaller gaps on the track, smaller little spots, so you can really begin to notice them. In the latest build at the moment, it's still the early stages, so they are all really, really fast and they are all super aggressive. They are always looking to deploy their KERS and to get through but we can refine that back now.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
mclaren777 said:
Interesting stuff. I like the admission that the AI in F1 2010 was..well, not up to the task really. I hope that F1 2011 brings with it a true AI model and one that works in Qualifying as well as racing.

As for KERS/DRS, as the systems have been critical this year (DRS especially) they really need to be implemented well in F1 2011. That and the tyres, a complete step change from F1 2010 will bring some interesting races if the tyre model is near correct.

All in all F1 2011 has a lot of potential, but this year there is a lot more for Codemasters to get wrong, so I hope they have been watching the TV as intently (And in contact with Pirelli, the teams and the FOM) as the fans have been doing so far this season.

Orgun said:
Woah woah woah, hold your horses. That's my position.
This will not be acceptable, you'll probably end up winning races in F1 2011 if you drive as well as you can do.

mclaren777 said:

codemasters :lol

the other thing that bugged me in f1 2010 are the cars. every single one of them are fucking ugly cell shaded pieces of shit (ps3)

vuA0D.jpg

ttzb2.jpg

the mclaren in particular looks down right awful, i couldn't believe how bad 2010 looked when i first fired it up. it's way behind f1ce.

codies need to step it up big time in all areas with 2011. when do we get the first ps3 media?

It's so tempting to post the high-res texture mods for the cars that I stare at when I play.

So I will.

2_Q7Q.jpg

4096 x 4096. Drool.

Community does what Codemasters can't. ^_^

AcridMeat

Banned
Hopefully TylerD, Leunam and Co. are back to represent USF1-GAF with me.

Also can't wait to race with my new wheel this weekend with you cheeky assholes.

Lucius86

Banned
AcridMeat said:
Hopefully TylerD, Leunam and Co. are back to represent USF1-GAF with me.

Also can't wait to race with my new wheel this weekend with you cheeky assholes.

I'm not sure if I am about this weekend for gaming - going to a gig Saturday and then Sunday is sure to be recovery and then a meal out at night.

When will we know if we have been invited Helios? Need to make up an excuse from work I need to leave a few hours early if I'm in!

Stop It

Lucius86 said:
I'm not sure if I am about this weekend for gaming - going to a gig Saturday and then Sunday is sure to be recovery and then a meal out at night.

When will we know if we have been invited Helios? Need to make up an excuse from work I need to leave a few hours early if I'm in!
I'm the same boat. I have pre-warned my boss that I may need to run away next Wednesday but some confirmation either way would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I'm out on Saturday night but Sunday is free for me, so I will be up for some post Sunday lunch racing.

atomicgamer

Neo Member
RavenFox said:
Hmm lot to see some Vita vids or screen shots.
They had this available for hands-on during E3. The visuals were really nice for a portable, even the latest iPad games, but the frame rate was a little iffy. The Codemasters dude told me they still had a lot of work to do, and that they'd have it up to 30fps by the release date. Personally, I'd rather they sacrifice some of that quality and at least match Gran Turismo PSP's frame rates (somewhere around 40ish, I'd guess) instead.

f0rk said:
There's a Steam sale coming up right? If it's less than £10 might pick it up.
It's £13 now on the Steam sale. It might have a daily deal, but if not that's still a pretty decent price.

If any other GAFers are on the fence, a lot of us are still very active and will be welcoming to new racers :) (You can't be worse than Orgun)

Lucius86

Banned
Right, so I am in for trying out F1 2011 next week. Thnx Helios.

Anybody have any questions they would like me to ask the dev team whilst I am there? I will post as much as I can on the game, NDA permitting, when I return.

I am hoping to record some bits from it, but Codies have not decided yet if they will allow any filming at the event - they will decide when we arrive.

HenryHSH

I'm so burnt out from F1 2010 on the PS3. I'm tempted to buy the PC version to race with you guys, but at $20 it seems pointless this close to the release of 2011. In the meantime I'll stick to iRacing.

And I'm definitely interested in joining F1 2011 PC league. Especially now that I have a kickass eyefinity setup. :D

Oh, would you guys be interested in having custom team names and liveries for the league?

DieH@rd

Banned
Lucius86 said:

Anybody have any questions they would like me to ask the dev team whilst I am there? I will post as much as I can on the game, NDA permitting, when I return.

I am hoping to record some bits from it, but Codies have not decided yet if they will allow any filming at the event - they will decide when we arrive.

Ask them about race conditions under SAFETY CAR:
- will the drive behind the SC car be automated or in player controls?
- are they gonna replicate conditions when SC is leaving [race leader slowing the rest of the pack]?
- heavy rain on start > start of the race behind SC?
- heavy rain during race > red flag > pausing the race until better race conditions > change of tires
- crash on track > safety car > red flag > change of tires?

Coldsnap

Since f1 fans are here I ask this question (made a thread last night and no one replied). I want to get into watching F1 racing although I know absolutely nothing about it. How often are races? Which ones should I watch?

Coldsnap said:
Since f1 fans are here I ask this question (made a thread last night and no one replied). I want to get into watching F1 racing although I know absolutely nothing about it. How often are races? Which ones should I watch?

The races are generally every other week. British GP is the next one, and that's next weekend, July 9. Practice starts on the Friday before the race (three sessions) and extends into Saturday before qualifying.

Also, feel free to mosey on over to the F1 thread in OT. We're a pretty knowledgeable crew there and we'd be happy to help get you up to speed as well. We also have, I think, a list we just came up with of races to watch to get into the sport. If not, feel free to ask and we can come up with one for you. :)

Coldsnap

NihonTiger90 said:
The races are generally every other week. British GP is the next one, and that's next weekend, July 9. Practice starts on the Friday before the race (three sessions) and extends into Saturday before qualifying.

Also, feel free to mosey on over to the F1 thread in OT. We're a pretty knowledgeable crew there and we'd be happy to help get you up to speed as well. We also have, I think, a list we just came up with of races to watch to get into the sport. If not, feel free to ask and we can come up with one for you. :)

awesome, thanks.

deim0s

Lucius86 said:

-If they're going to fix the the "brake to stop slipping" trick,
-improved driving model?
-anything to satisfy sim racers?
-engineer being more dynamic
-ai car crashes... No teleporting?

jlevel13

Coldsnap said:

The official site is also a good place for info (full schedule and all that) plus some race edit videos and onboard laps.
http://www.formula1.com/

Dilly

Banned
Lucius86 said:

Damagemodel.

Ask about stuff that's important to us, Lucius, in online play.

Eg:

League support? Online replays? An option to prevent cars ghosting so we can have more competitive races? Spectating after DNF/DSQ or crossing the line first rather than staring at that goddamn leaderboard?

Everyone will be asking about single player and the driving model, etc, so I say try and get some details nobody else will ask about... even though they probably won't comment.

HenryHSH

Foliorum Viridum said:

Eg:

League support? Online replays? An option to prevent cars ghosting so we can have more competitive races? Spectating after DNF/DSQ or crossing the line first rather than staring at that goddamn leaderboard?

Everyone will be asking about single player and the driving model, etc, so I say try and get some details nobody else will ask about... even though they probably won't comment.

Speaking of replays, you should ask if we can switch between drivers during replay! Would be awesome for league race edits.

AcridMeat

Banned
Ask if the AI exists on the track, after you've hassled them about replays and everything else our league wants with multi.

edit: Also let us know what HUD they're using, if you can. As in, are they using the graphics from the actual race broadcasts this year or not?

Lucius86

Banned
Cool, I will make a list of the questions raised and will try and get as many answered Wednesday! I will have a few myself obviously...

Wooh! I won the game in an E3 Pre-order contest. When it is released somewhere in September I'll just get it for free. What an amazing surprise!

I would've bought in anyway, obviously, because it's up there with my most wanted games for this year, but still, I can save the money for something else. Yay!

Oh an Lucius, ask them two things. First, if they'll finally put my name in there as a voiceover (It's Bob, one of America's most common names (not that I'm American), so why the fuck is it not in there? I know Codies is UK based but still). Second, it has probably something to do with licensing issues, but the name of the normal driver is still on your own car in the career. For example, I was racing alongside Buemi in the Toro Rosso car, but Alguesari's name was still on it. It would actually add something to the experience if your own name would be plastered on it.

EDIT: Oh, and will they incorporate Vettels finger?

Stop It

Foliorum Viridum said:

Eg:

I'll try to ask as many questions as I can about plans for community support, because while the back end of F1 2010 wasn't great for online play, the driving itself was so good it made the efforts we made worth it.

For F1 2011, I hope the devs have noted the online communities wishes for a more cohesive experience.

Edit: Of course I am looking forward to seeing the game, and to playing with fellow fans of F1 2010 and Formula 1 in general.

Lucius86 is so going down

AcridMeat said:
Ask if the AI exists on the track, after you've hassled them about replays and everything else our league wants with multi.

edit: Also let us know what HUD they're using, if you can. As in, are they using the graphics from the actual race broadcasts this year or not?
Edit edit: Ah, the HUD. I will try to collar the UI designer with a picture of the current FOM graphics and say "Do that, please".

Lucius86

Banned
Pizza Luigi said:
Wooh! I won the game in an E3 Pre-order contest. When it is released somewhere in September I'll just get it for free. What an amazing surprise!

I would've bought in anyway, obviously, because it's up there with my most wanted games for this year, but still, I can save the money for something else. Yay!

Oh an Lucius, ask them two things. First, if they'll finally put my name in there as a voiceover (It's Bob, one of America's most common names (not that I'm American), so why the fuck is it not in there? I know Codies is UK based but still). Second, it has probably something to do with licensing issues, but the name of the normal driver is still on your own car in the career. For example, I was racing alongside Buemi in the Toro Rosso car, but Alguesari's name was still on it. It would actually add something to the experience if your own name would be plastered on it.

EDIT: Oh, and will they incorporate Vettels finger?

Ha, 2 of those things I was going to raise myself! Why the fuck is Luke not there either, but 'Lady' is, and the Vettel fingering everyone was going to my my last one of the evening :)

Lucius86 said:
Ha, 2 of those things I was going to raise myself! Why the fuck is Luke not there either, but 'Lady' is, and the Vettel fingering everyone was going to my my last one of the evening :)

Haha, well let me know what they answered. I am annoyed by the lack of Bob in the voiceovers since the first new-age Codies game (I believe that's the first DiRT?) and the fact that they've added some bullshit names but not the most common names in the world (Luke seems pretty common to me as well) is just ridiculous!

Oh, and have fun, obviously. I'm deeply envious and I hope the game is already as good as we all want it to be!

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
OK, after watching "Grand Prix: The Killer Years", I really REALLY hope CM will throw in some vintage tracks. Man, the footage of the old Spa and Hockenheighm were AMAZING!!!!

WOW, what I wouldn't give to be able to race on those vintage tracks again.

I wonder if I should start playing GPL? I've played it before, but only for very brief moments here and there, and never really put any significant time into it. The car's handling is just too slippery and it's hard to keep it on the road. But man, sooooo many good tracks!

dubc35

isamu said:
OK, after watching "Grand Prix: The Killer Years", I really REALLY hope CM will throw in some vintage tracks. Man, the footage of the old Spa and Hockenheighm were AMAZING!!!!
Wow, I watched that earlier today based on your post. Crazy S going down, some moving imagery too.

Jezbollah

Helios_CM said:
Sorry to disappoint but F1 2011 on consoles will be 720p and 30fps, the same as our previous racers this gen.

Thank you Helios - I'll be passing on F1 2011 then.. I personally think a locked 60fps should be at the core of modern racing games, especially with regards to a game based on Formula One. Turn 10 have been doing this for two years with Forza, and I dont use my PC enough to warrent spending ££s on the graphics card to do F1 2011 justice.

Here's where I bow out - I hope the rest of you enjoy the game. :)

ACH1LL3US

Dan27 said:
Thank you Helios - I'll be passing on F1 2011 then.. I personally think a locked 60fps should be at the core of modern racing games, especially with regards to a game based on Formula One. Turn 10 have been doing this for two years with Forza, and I dont use my PC enough to warrent spending ££s on the graphics card to do F1 2011 justice.

Here's where I bow out - I hope the rest of you enjoy the game. :)

Really? You want to miss out on a great game b/c the console version is at 30fps? Most racing games this gen on the consoles are 30fps, except GT5 ( at times) and Forza.

Why not try it out and see if its really an issue?

Jezbollah

I think the smoothness of Forza turned me into a framerate snob with regards to console racing sims.. it just feels ugly to go "back" to 30fps, and personally I didnt enjoy F1 2010 because of it (and other racing games). I like the smooth feel that 60fps provides in racing sims, it just feels *right* to me. All my personal opinion though - I am sure the game will be great for everyone here who are not as concerned as me about specifics!

Segnit

Banned
New to GAF
Hello Everyone. My first post on GAF. Been trying to get on for roughly the past 5 years.

30 vs. 60 - I'll Take 60
Anyhow, yeah I do sympathise with Dan27 on the 30fps issue. I'm a very competitive PC sim racer and the truth is you can't be a serious sim racer while playing down the importance of a butter smooth 120fps (well alright 60fps will do in the absence of a 120hz monitor a match monster PC :p ).

But on the other hand, I feel that F1 is a mass market brand for Codies and with that being true, I fully agree with the direction they are trying to take the series in.

Mass Market: Authenticity Over Realism Everytime!
For overall fun though, authenticity comes before realism for most people. And the chances are that most people who'll be buying into annual instalments of this game, they won't even be able to tell the difference between wonky 30fps from a rock solid one, let alone 60 fps.

Financial Viability First
And with this in mind, I think Codies is making the right decision especially on consoles. The franchise needs to be financially viable before the publisher can even begin to explore the hardcore simulation aspect of the series.

Different Direction Needed
Don't know if anyone remembers me from the forzamotorsport.net forums but I feel that Codies paid attention to a particular thread that I started back in 2006 (probably a coincidence though).

The Link is all messed up now but in that thread I created, I was pretty much against the whole community about the need for an ubber hardcore model for future sims.

I'm a ubber hardcore racer myself but I know the difference between being elite and elitism and yes there is a big difference.

f0rk

Dan27 said:
I think the smoothness of Forza turned me into a framerate snob with regards to console racing sims.. it just feels ugly to go "back" to 30fps, and personally I didnt enjoy F1 2010 because of it (and other racing games). I like the smooth feel that 60fps provides in racing sims, it just feels *right* to me. All my personal opinion though - I am sure the game will be great for everyone here who are not as concerned as me about specifics!

Majority in this thread are part of the master race that is never concerned by frame locks.

Still no Steam sale for 2010 :(

Kyaw said:
There weren't many noobs and he got dominated?
Pretty much. The king has been dethroned.

f0rk said:
Majority in this thread are part of the master race that is never concerned by frame locks.

Still no Steam sale for 2010 :(
Uh..

Foliorum Viridum said:
It's £13 now on the Steam sale. It might have a daily deal, but if not that's still a pretty decent price.

If any other GAFers are on the fence, a lot of us are still very active and will be welcoming to new racers :) (You can't be worse than Orgun)

Top Bottom